General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 12: August 2013 - July 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well deserved in my opinion. CP Mary gets it right most of the time. Most other celebrities get it right only some of the time. I think Mary dresses suitably for the events she has to attend. I think a lot of cudos should go to her stylist Anja.

The twins look gorgeous! Vincent is quite a favourite of mine.

BB this week is pretty thin, but a couple of articles are devoted to trivia about the children, so let's start out with M&F's children.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #4, 2014.
Written by Trine Larsen.

Before Frederik went to Abu Dhabi, he and Mary took all four children to the cinema. Palads in Copenhagen to be exact. And someone has kept a very close eye on what they did, considering the details in the article!
The movie they saw was Walking With Dinosaurs, a more child-friendly version of the legendary BBC production.
They went in to one of the smallest theatres with only seven rows. Arriving at 15.45 the family slipped in almost unnoticed at the end of the commercials and seated themselves on the sixth row.
Initially the twins talked loudly, but M&F soon diverted their interest by pointing out all sorts of things and that quietened them down. - Not least since the children had water, treats and popcorn to munch on during the hour and half the movie lasted. At some point Vincent and Josephine... eeh, disagreed... on who should hold the bag with treats, but that crisis was resolved.
Later on Josephine thought the movie was a little bit too exciting and sought refuge on mother's lap.
Christian and Bella are hardly mentioned, so it must be presumed they left it to the twins to keep their parents occupied.

(ADDED: There are of course no pictures in the article. A cinema is not a public place and as such it would be against the laws of privacy).

Last edited:
it is so great they can and do such normal things! i very often go to palads cinema and who know next time i can end up sitting behind our crownprince family :)

My friends all take their toddlers to kid friendly movies whenever they premiere

Yeah, it looks to me like a trial-run to the cinema. They could just as easy have seen the movie on DVD but that doesn't count as a family-outing and the twins eventually have to learn how to behave in a cinema.
Just as when you take your kids to a restaurant for the first time.

Thanks Muhler.
Its nice that they took all 4 kids to the movies. at 3, IMO its a good age to go and learn how to behave. As long as the movie is kid friendly, I've seen parents take small kids to very adult movies and am left shaking my head. : )

Thanks for posting Muhler, sounds like they had a cozy family outing.

I have children at the same age as F+M and in my circle of friends three years old is the usual age to introduce our children to the cinema. When my daughter was three years we were in the cinema countless times, which we both enjoyed very much. It depends on the individual child and it sounds like it went perfectly fine to have V and J with them. There's just something about being together the whole family.

We saw the movie last weekend, a great movie for both children and adults where everyone learns about the past historic through entertainment.

Last edited:
Thanks Muhler.
Its nice that they took all 4 kids to the movies. at 3, IMO its a good age to go and learn how to behave. As long as the movie is kid friendly, I've seen parents take small kids to very adult movies and am left shaking my head. : )

Totally agree!:flowers: I'm sure they all enjoyed it, and that's excellent. - And as you say, it has to be kiddie movies, and no adult or even teenager stuff.

Quote copied from the picture-thread, but I think the coming posts belong to this thread. If I'm wrong, I will leave it to the moderators..
I see from the headline on the cover of the BB that will hit the streets tomorrow, that you were spot on, Roskilde.

M&F and their children were on a "secret holiday". But it appears we will have to wait until tomorrow to learn the details.

Yes Muhler, seems like my feeling wasn't all wrong. HerogNu has it as their headline too, but they don't have many details and I don't think they know much. Frederik and Mary have always been good to sneak away without the media noticing it (honeymoon ex.). A quick sneak peek in the magazine on my way home tells that Mary and all four children last Wednesday (22th January) flew from Denmark so they could "pick up" Frederik after his official visit in Abu Dhabi and then all together continue their private trip. The magazine's source is the Danish Ambassador in Abu Dhabi who is quoted as saying: "I worked together with Frederik during his visit here in Abu Dhabi and then he went on a private trip with his family." M+F and children are expected home over the coming weekend.

But I guess BB have more and better information tomorrow :)

Last edited:
How nice. After his official trip in Abu Dhabi, I wonder where they went : )
I also wonder how does the Danish Ambassador know, maybe Frederik mentioned it?

thanks for keeping us updated : )

How nice. After his official trip in Abu Dhabi, I wonder where they went : )
I also wonder how does the Danish Ambassador know, maybe Frederik mentioned it?

thanks for keeping us updated : )

Now this is typically a scenario where our international forum members can help by keeping tuned to local media for news of the DRF being in the neighbourhood. Where would they go after the delights of Abu Dhabi? With the Crown princess' passion for development work, would she already be showing the children Africa? Are there board members from the UAE who could venture a guess as to the Crown Prince Couple's destination?:cool::flowers:

Last edited:
A quick sneak peek in the magazine on my way home tells that Mary and all four children last Wednesday (22th January) flew from Denmark so they could "pick up" Frederik after his official visit in Abu Dhabi and then all together continue their private trip.

Are there school holidays in Denmark, at least Christian & Isabella would have been in school around that time?

Thanks, so they are taking the two eldest out of school to go on holiday???

Unless their school has winter holiday here in week five, which I doubt, they must have.
No problem with Isabella though and Christian should still be able to cope without major problems for a couple of years yet. Nowadays they can log on to the school's intranet from where ever they are and do some homework online.

Unless their school has winter holiday here in week five, which I doubt, they must have.
No problem with Isabella though and Christian should still be able to cope without major problems for a couple of years yet. Nowadays they can log on to the school's intranet from where ever they are and do some homework online.

Assuming of course, that the article is 100% accurate...;)

From what I have read, Her&Nu (and also BB) don't always get their facts correct...A few years ago F&M were, according to H&N, on holiday somewhere in the mediterranian, aboard a luxury yacht borrowed by friends.
It turned out later, that they had actually been in the US with the Heerings.

Last edited:
It's basically commonplace to take children out of school for a week or two if you're going on a holiday. I don't blame the parents, it's much cheaper to travel outside of the school holidays and as long as you don't travel when something super important is being taught (i.e. in the older classes in the period leading up to exams and mid-term tests), I see no problem with it.

Assuming of course, that the article is 100% accurate...;)

From what I have read, Her&Nu (and also BB) don't always get their facts correct...A few years ago F&M were, according to H&N, on holiday somewhere in the mediterranian, aboard a luxury yacht borrowed by friends.
It turned out later, that they had actually been in the US with the Heerings.

Not to mention the time when they announced Princess Tatiana's pregnancy based on assumptions and a confusing statement from Constantine. They also often get titles wrong. BB is far from always right.

I've just opened this weeks BB and there is indeed an article about M&F and their family holiday.

However, it can all be boiled down to Lene Balleby confirming that M&F went on a "secret and private holiday at a foreign destination".
It seems however not to be a skiing holiday but a more warm place. Where BB has that particular information I don't know.

Also, Frederik will be at the Olympics in Sochi on Mary's birthday.

Last edited:
It's basically commonplace to take children out of school for a week or two if you're going on a holiday. I don't blame the parents, it's much cheaper to travel outside of the school holidays and as long as you don't travel when something super important is being taught (i.e. in the older classes in the period leading up to exams and mid-term tests), I see no problem with it.

Funny how different it is seen in various countries. In Germany the law is very strict about compulsary schooling and you will find police checking on families eg at the airport a few days before the holidays start and parents end up paying huge fines. But of course this doesnt apply to royals I guess.

:previous: The social authorities will also intervene here in DK, but only if there are reports from the school that the learning of the child is affected.
There are no fines and the police is not involved (unless something criminal takes place of course).
So as long as the children are doing okay in school there are no problems, even though some schools and some teachers do indeed frown on children being taken out of school "only" to go on holiday.

- The problem is of course that many parents have problems getting their holidays at the same time as the children, someone has to man the forts, you know.
So long as it doesn't become a habit I'm fairly okay with that myself, at least in the lower grades.
Our son is now attending business school and there is no way in this world he will be allowed to take time off outside school holidays. The shedule is simply too tight for him to afford missing a whole week.

:previous: The social authorities will also intervene here in DK, but only if there are reports from the school that the learning of the child is affected.
There are no fines and the police is not involved (unless something criminal takes place of course).
So as long as the children are doing okay in school there are no problems, even though some schools and some teachers do indeed frown on children being taken out of school "only" to go on holiday.

- The problem is of course that many parents have problems getting their holidays at the same time as the children, someone has to man the forts, you know.
So long as it doesn't become a habit I'm fairly okay with that myself, at least in the lower grades.
Our son is now attending business school and there is no way in this world he will be allowed to take time off outside school holidays. The shedule is simply too tight for him to afford missing a whole week.

We don't have that kind of system here in Canada (where the school controls that aspect). Parents have the right to take their kids out of school when they like. It's not prefered as important schooling can be missed. Has it always been that way in DK or D, where the school system controlled school attendance? I'm curious based on this discussion.

We don't have that kind of system here in Canada (where the school controls that aspect). Parents have the right to take their kids out of school when they like. It's not prefered as important schooling can be missed. Has it always been that way in DK or D, where the school system controlled school attendance? I'm curious based on this discussion.

I know in Germany there is compulsory schooling for over a century. Regarding vacation, it only got bad in the past two decades, with people travelling more and more, taking the children out of school at their own liking.

In case you get caught or the school will inform the authorities there are hefthy fines, private schools will make use of their right to kick the kid out if they feel it becomes necessary.

Again, you can negotiate a lot, especially if your kid is doing well, but if the school is having none of it the law is on their side.

I know in Germany there is compulsory schooling for over a century. Regarding vacation, it only got bad in the past two decades, with people travelling more and more, taking the children out of school at their own liking.

In case you get caught or the school will inform the authorities there are hefthy fines, private schools will make use of their right to kick the kid out if they feel it becomes necessary.

Again, you can negotiate a lot, especially if your kid is doing well, but if the school is having none of it the law is on their side.

That's very insteresting. I think if people around here travel that much its more national than international as its a long drive from many places to even leave the country. lol

What would happen if a family decided to home school?

That's very insteresting. I think if people around here travel that much its more national than international as its a long drive from many places to even leave the country. lol

What would happen if a family decided to home school?

not allowed, if needs be, there will be law enforcement, there have been cases that the parents went to jail (eg religious communities who refuse to send their children). i am not kidding!

AFAIK home schooling is perfectly legal in DK, but almost unheard of. I can't recall knowing of someone who was home schooled for the past 30 years or so.
That would require either parents who are extremely qualified as teachers, as they have to teach accoriding to government standards and it would also be recommended against since children need inputs different from what they will get at a home school, where the environment tend to be very static. - And indeed they would be severely disadvantaged later on in an educational system that is very much based on social skills and group work.
Or that the parents employ skilled teachers, which would be insanely expensive!

The normal procedure if a child is not doing well, is for the school to sound the alarm to the parents. If that doesn't work, the authorities may be alerted, because there may be issues at home, which affects the learning.
The authorities may make investigations as to issues at home or with the child, if need be putting pressure on the parents and in extreme circumstances remove the child temporarlily or permanently from the parents.
That has happened when say immigrant parents take their children out for three months or so and travel on an extended holiday to the old country. - For several years.

Children can of course take a leave for a year, for say sailing around the world, that's after all up to the parents to decide. But it is expected that they recieve some basic schooling while away and the price can easily be for the child to leave his/her class and not move up one grade at the beginning of the school year. Nine years of basic schooling is after all mandatory in DK. (0 grade which Bella is attending is not counted, so for the overwhelming majority, basic schooling lasts ten years).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom