General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 11: January - August 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzling

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
France
Welcome to
General News about Frederik, Mary and Family
Part 11

The previous can be found here

Here are some important
TRF Community Rules & FAQs
  • In order to legally post copyrighted material, you must obtain written permission from the copyright owner.
  • No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
  • It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
  • Hotlinking of content from other websites is not permitted.
  • We expect our members to treat each other with respect.
  • Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
  • Empty posts, that is posts that do not add or contribute to the discussion, will be deleted without notice.
If you have any questions, please contact a member of the moderating team.

Happy posting!:flowers:
Royal House of Denmark Mod's

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot understand why a Christmas card have summer photos, to me that is really incredible and I doesn't support this ideia, a Christmas card should be in a winter scenario and of course with all six...not only the children...maybe at their home, near the fire place, or maybe in the garden with some snow, they use to include Ziggy has well, I really don't think this is a Christmas Card at all... I hope is not, it doesn't have any Christmas celebration, anything written at all and it isn't christmas and winter at all....

Why should a Christmas Card be christmas themed? The picture Mary and Frederik have chosen to be their Christmas Card depicts a sweet moment from the family's summer holiday (on Gråsten, I believe). Besides, I know the cards have been referred to as Christmas Cards for the last couple of years, however I'm pretty sure that they originated as New Years Cards.

How often has Ziggy been pictured? :ermm:
Wasn´t it only the first two years (2004 + 2005)?

Ziggy has been on the card twice 2005 and 2009.

Thanks, marfre :flowers:

So we can´t say "use to" as biboquinhas implies, as Ziggy has only been included two times out of 9 times :):p:)

I cannot understand why a Christmas card have summer photos, to me that is really incredible and I doesn't support this ideia, a Christmas card should be in a winter scenario and of course with all six...not only the children...maybe at their home, near the fire place, or maybe in the garden with some snow, they use to include Ziggy has well, I really don't think this is a Christmas Card at all... I hope is not, it doesn't have any Christmas celebration, anything written at all and it isn't christmas and winter at all....

Your words are my words, i agree entirely with you. In my modest opinion a christimas card should include christimas "things", with some kind of greetings, or message, or even an assignature, like the spanish one's (not wanted to make any comparissons). But yes, i hate this summer photo for a chistimas card, if it really was the meant!

And sorry for my english error's.

According to Billed Bladet the text on the card reads: Happy New Year, in Danish, French and English. There is apparantly no "Merry Christmas".
So It isn't meant to be a Christmas card. Whice again means that any motive can be used.

According to Billed Bladet the text on the card reads: Happy New Year, in Danish, French and English. There is apparantly no "Merry Christmas".
So It isn't meant to be a Christmas card. Whice again means that any motive can be used.

Exactly. Thank you, Muhler, for clearing this up :flowers:
It's a New Years card and it's only natural that they used the picture they did.

Well, to be fair, summer is the season associated with Christmas in Australia...maybe Mary subconsciously sees summery images as being Christmassy...so myself as an Australian do not see anything out of place with a family Christmas/New Years card having a poolside/beachy image...it makes sense to us down under...and maybe there are two versions of their Christmas card?...a summery one for their Aussie friends and a Verbier one for their Northern Hemisphere venner ;)

Happy New Year Everyone.

It's Wednesday 9th January morning in Australia, and I'm here in Adelaide with my husband's siblings for the holidays.

I've just flipped through the local newspaper- "the Advertiser" - and CPMary's girlfriend Amber Petty has a full page column about just arriving back here after spending Christmas and New Year in Denmark.

Amber goes on to describe the various Danish Christmas traditions she joined in with - such as attending an afternoon church service, holding hands and dancing around the tree singing songs she couldn't understand, and a traditional dinner that finished with the children being allowed to run to the tree to find what presents Santa had left. This all took place on the 24th. A second family meal together was held on the 25th.

Amber goes onto describe everyone watching the Queen's New Year's speech on TV on New Year's Eve, with a party organised for the "little ones" with their own mini fire-works show, followed by the adult version after they were in bed.

Midnight brought everyone back to the TV to watch the broadcast of the city's celebrations and the tradition of jumping off a chair to jump into the next year.

(Nice picture of Amber with her mast-head at the top of the page and large photo of Danes ice-skating in the Tivoli Gardens.)

Cheers Everyone. Sun Lion.

Last edited:
Thank you SO much Sun Lion for posting this intimate portrait of the Crown Prince Couple's christmas as experienced by BGF Amber Petty.:flowers: Are you able/willing to post a link to this article so we can also share your experience of la belle Amber ?:cool:

Thank you SO much Sun Lion for posting this intimate portrait of the Crown Prince Couple's christmas as experienced by BGF Amber Petty.:flowers: Are you able/willing to post a link to this article so we can also share your experience of la belle Amber ?:cool:

Hi gerry - sorry not to get back to you sooner, I ran up to the supermarket before the day got too hot here.

:dragon::sun:

The whole of Australia seems to be on fire with the heat-wave and high winds we've been having the last couple of weeks. (There was also a story in today's paper about people not being able to put fuel in their cars in some places, as it was so hot the petrol was vapourising.)

Would have been a shock for Amber after Denmark which she describes as "cold" and "damp". :penguin::penguin::penguin:

Nice article by Amber extolling the Danes for upholding their traditions.

She also mentions the tradition of the whole family decorating the tree together, the day before Christmas Eve, and the tradition of families getting together on Boxing Day.

(Amber must have a regular weekly full page column in this newspaper - it's called "Amber Petty ON WEDNESDAYS" - I just found last week's paper - she's quoting a friend about botox, and cosmetic surgery on breasts - !).

I haven't linked before gerry, so will give it a go and see if I can.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
Last edited:
a nice article about Danish Christmas. thanks windsorgirl for the link and sun lion for describing it.
at first i thought Amber might be crossing a line but the article could have been about any Danish Christmas (im assuming)...not too intimate details of the cp family

large photo of Danes ice-skating in the Tivoli Gardens.)
I just saw that photo online from the link windsorgirl provided. It must be an old onem since there hasn´t been an icerank in Tivoli at Christmas for years :flowers:

Another thing: Quote from the article:
The following day, being the 25th and what they call their second Christmas Day, is the opportunity to have another family meal and more time spent together.
No, we don´t call the 25th the Second Christmas Day. We call it Christmas Day or First Christmas Day.
The 26th is called Second Christmas Day :flowers:

Thanks Sun Lion & Windsorgirl :flowers:

That gave us a very good glimpse into how M&F celebrated Christmas. And they did it the traditional Danish way, which differs from Mary - and Frederik's childhoods.

That gave us a very good glimpse into how M&F celebrated Christmas. And they did it the traditional Danish way, which differs from Mary - and Frederik's childhoods.

Indeed - this settled the question which Danish watchers of the DRF have been asking themselves since Christian was born: Do they .... or do they not dance around the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve! ;):flowers:
And they do!!! No more worries about four kids at Amalienborg being deprived of one of the most basic joys of a Danish Christmas!;)

Peculiar how much animosity there is towards AP in the comments on that article. I know that there are some that find her... unagreeable. But there are rather mean-toned comments about AP's relationship with christianity coming from apparantly devout christians!!!

Can't help but quote Wierd Al Yankovic (Amish Paradise):

"'Cause you know I'm a million times as humble as thou art".

Anyway, I wrote a comment explaining that while Christmas may refer to Christ in the English language - it doesn't in Danish, where Jul (Yule in English) is of pagan origin and christianity is just piggybacking on the celebrations. Hell, we even praise and celebrate nisser (scandinavian type of leprechaun) - satanic demons according to some priests.
In actuality Jul is a celebration of winter-solstice. Something few Australians can comprehend the significance of, if they haven't been north of the 50th parallel for an extended period.

Frederik did not celebrate Christmas in a traditional Danish way as a child? That does seem odd to me. Can you elaborate for us?

Well, to be fair, summer is the season associated with Christmas in Australia...maybe Mary subconsciously sees summery images as being Christmassy...so myself as an Australian do not see anything out of place with a family Christmas/New Years card having a poolside/beachy image...it makes sense to us down under...and maybe there are two versions of their Christmas card?...a summery one for their Aussie friends and a Verbier one for their Northern Hemisphere venner ;)

That's a good point and I think you are right. Mary will always see Christmas as a summer holiday, as us northerners will always see it in winter no matter where we move and how long we live there.

Frederik did not celebrate Christmas in a traditional Danish way as a child? That does seem odd to me. Can you elaborate for us?

Absolutely. :)

The DRF Christmas is very different from a typical Danish Christmas.
The menu is different and they don't dance around the Christmas tree.

A typical Danish Christmas, very brief:
The family arrive in the afternoon. Some, but not all attend service in the local church at 16.00 (that's the most common). Dinner is served somewhere between 17.00-19.00.
The menu is soup, roast pork with medister and glaced potatoes, though many prefer duck instead.
Risalmande for dessert, with an almond. Whoeever gets the almond win a prize.
When the table is cleard the Christmas tree is placed in the middle of the floor and people dance, or rather trot, around the tree while singing popular Christmas psalms. Somewhere between five and ten psalms - good for the digestion!
The presents are brought out and the children read out who the presents are for and hand all the presents out. Then you take turn unpacking the presents, usually the youngest first ending with the oldest, so that everyone can see who gets what from whom.
That ends around 21.00 or so. Then coffee with sweets, fruits, nuts and cookies are served and the adults chat and sometimes have a merry time playing with the kid's toys - I mean, help the kids in putting their toys together and test it....
The whole show ends around 23.00-24.00.

In the DRF they also attend Christmas service before returning for dinner, starting with rice porridge. I can't remember the main course, but that is atypical too. The dessert is an English cake. - No almond, no prize.
Then they sit in the living room singing psalms while watching and admiring the decorated tree in the corner, before they unpack their presents.
- To me it seems pretty boring and not at all child friendly.

As Nwinther pointed out a typical Danish Christmas has very little to do with the Christian faith and Jesus but much more to do with the ancient pagan mid-winter celebration.

Then there is a Christmas lunch on either the first or second day of Christmas, sometime both days. Usually with the family. In my family it has for many years been tradition to spend Christmas Eve with Mrs. Muhler's family and the second day of Christmas (the 26th) with my family.

A typical Danish Christmas is basically about gaining five kilos.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response!

I think in most modern countries, Christmas is hardly about the birth of Christ anymore, and more about pagan mid-winter solstice fun - at least in our Northern Hemisphere. In Australia it appears akin to what would be a Fourth of July celebration here in the U.S.

The DRF Christmas is very different from a typical Danish Christmas.
The menu is different and they don't dance around the Christmas tree.
We didn´t dance around the Christmas tree either when I was child :)

In my childhood this is how Christmas Eve went:
I slept until noon...
My Father held services in his three churches (yes, that included "Et barn er født" three times :eek:).
In between his three services he came home to take of the two ducks in the oven.
My Mother made the dessert, risalamande, and my brother polished the silverware.
Finally I got up around noon, took a bath and off I went to my services (two times of singing "Et barn er født" :eek:) in the church, where I was singer at that time.
To the last service in my Father´s church the rest of the family came along.
After the services we gathered in the præstegård (what´s the english word?). Took a little glass with my sis-in-law´s parents. Then we departed, with my brother and sis-in-law changing between the families every other year.

Then we ate the ducks, the risalamande.

I would lit the christmas tree and when I started playing this tune my parents would open the doors and everyone would walk in and sit on the couch, armchair - well, my little nephew would lie on his tummy on the floor looking at the christmas tree.

After that we would sing a few christmas songs, no psalms (vetoed by my Father and I) and then we would hand out the presents in no particular order, but one at a time.

Around 23:00 all started to go to bed and I would find myself in front of the telly, sometimes together with my Mother, to watch the Midnight Mass from the Vatican :)

Then on Christmas Day (the 25th) my Father and I had more services, so no organized family gathering here.
But on the second Christmas Day (the 26th) we had Christmas Lunch, again after my Father and I had had our services...
And then finally we could get a time to relax before New Year - unless there was/is a Sunday between Christmas and New Year :whistling::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
GracieGiraffe am not sure were you get you info about Australian Christmas but I can say that in no way does it even slightly appear as 04/07... it is celebrated in different ways but it is still a traditional Christmas with all the thrills the festive period brings.... trees lights Santa but the 4th July and that hoopla is not the case .... we do go all out on 26/01 however.

Thank you all for sharing your Christmas traditions.

Well in Australia it doesn't seem to be like 4th July from my experience (in most homes that I have known). Christmas Eve is is usually spent running around doing last minute shopping and preparing food for the 25th.

I can only speak about this from a christian perspective. Christmas Eve there are children's family church services at about 18.00, later midnight masses for adults. Some families I know of Northern European descent will open presents on this night. Carrots for reindeer and beer or milk for Santa left overnight.

Christmas Day is when it all happens. Presents opened early (usually near breakfast time if you have excited youngsters) after Santa has been overnight. Then lunch prepared all morning. Some families attend a church service in the morning.

The craziness is that even if it is a hot day, the roast is still prepared- mainly because of the English/european descent of many. Newer style BBQs have a big space that allows a roast (turkey,chicken etc)to be cooked outside without heating the entire house as an oven does! Salads, roast veges on the side. As is seafood in many homes.

Then desert (pavlova, fruit cake, fruit salad etc), lying on the bed to digest food or a game of cricket outside. The Christmas Message of QE2 is usually played around dinner time.

Leftovers eaten for dinner! Sometimes it is off to the in-laws for another food fest!!

Boxing day (26th) is usually what you make it- nothing at all or visit to an in law not seen the day before.

Last edited:
... Boxing Day has the the test match as the ovgerall pay off and the usual reason I use for not doing anything...

Hi everyone - great reading about the different ways Christmas is celebrated.

Agree with the Aussie posters regarding Christmas here.

Boxing Day is big, with many activities to join in - saw early morning TV coverage this year -people crushing to get into the big Boxing Day sales at the shops, lining up early to get into the cricket and it's also the start of the big yacht race, the "Sydney to Hobart".

All the commercial vessels get booked out as people have meals on board and mill around the racing yachts with the water all choppy and boats going every which way, and then follow them out of the Heads of Sydney Harbour after the gun goes off. Very exciting and lively - did it a few years ago - one of Sydney's grand days. The rest of Australia can watch the action on the telly.

And as Amber mentioned in her article, the other big Boxing Day activity for many years has been the packing and tripping to the annual holiday shack or caravan somewhere near a beach.

Seafood is now big for Christmas, so a crushing visit to the Sydney Fish Market on Christmas Eve is now a regular Christmas tradition for some - and waking up on Bondi Beach if you're a British back-packer.

And always trifle amongst the Christmas desserts, at least in Tasmania - along-side the hot pudding and the pavlova - all in the same bowl.

Interesting re Jul/pagan traditions vs Christian in Denmark - always assumed Northern European traditions to be more religious than here in Oz, where for many it's not even mentioned, though we still use religious cards quite a bit.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
Thanks for telling us about the Australian Christmas. It's always interesting to learn about other cultures and how things are done differently in other countries. :flowers:

GracieGiraffe am not sure were you get you info about Australian Christmas but I can say that in no way does it even slightly appear as 04/07... it is celebrated in different ways but it is still a traditional Christmas with all the thrills the festive period brings.... trees lights Santa but the 4th July and that hoopla is not the case .... we do go all out on 26/01 however.

I got my info from Australians, who say they celebrate with beach and bbq. I suppose other Australians celebrate traditionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom