General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 10: December 2011 - January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
that's true , it is sweets for the pinata, but it is the same idea!

Out of curiosity, how widespread has the tradition with the Pinata become in USA?

Out of curiosity, how widespread has the tradition with the Pinata become in USA?

I can remember birthday parties from the age of 2 to 5 always having pinatas. And many others I imagine, I just can't think of them now. It's quite widespread across the USA. Has been since at least my parents' generation :flowers:

I've been looking into the tradition of Fastelavn. It's actually much older than I thought.

As you may recall Nikolai and possibly Felix too became cat-kings at their school some years ago and I'd guess bette Henrik attended his first Fastelavn this year.

Fastelavn goes back to pagan times and almost certainly some time way before the Viking age.
It was originally a celebration of the new year and it was then a duel between two characters dressed up as winter and summer. Summer always won.
When Christianity came to DK, Fastelavn was incorperated into the Christian traditions, or more correctly became a kind of Christian tradition. by then, 11-1200's, it was more a celebration of strength and a way to get back at the evil forces, especially the Devil.
At that time villages consisted of a cluster af farm, with the fields around. From each farm a rider and a horse was selected.
These riders took turn in riding beneath a barrel hanging from a rope, hitting it as hard as they could with a club. At that time all free men were armed and they knew perfectly well how to use a sword or an axe - or indeed a club.
Apart from the fact that strength was admired in a very physical society, the winner, the cat-king was also exemt from taxes for a whole year. - Or rather the farm, he represented was exempt. That was a huge incentive!
That tradition with the winner being exempt from taxation existed in Denmark as late as the 1950's. By then the exemption only applied to what was then the equivalent of the municipal tax.

A black cat was put inside the barrel, partly for fun and partly because it symbolised the Devil. Sometimes they put two cats inside the barrel, with their tails tied together... that was even more fun.
You see in Christian belief at the time, animals were put on this earth to either serve, feed or please man. - The cat, which you can never be sure will obey your commands was a bit outside that frame. And that kind of inappropriate insubordination surely must be caused by dark forces.

By then fastelavn was the last feast before 40 days of fasting up to easter and people got together to celebrate. That included the poor as well. In return for drinks and food they were required to beg by singing a song for the benificiary. Such a song is today song by children when they walk door to door, begging for buns and candy.

If you snatched someone from say 1453 and dumped them in a modern school during Fastelavn, they would no doubt know what was celebrated.

After the Reformation in the 1530's the faste was abolished, but despite Protestantism being more austere, fastelavn remained, alive and well.

There are some claims that it was dutch settlers in the early 1500's which brought the tradition with the cat in the barrel with them, but that is almost certainly not true.
The Dutch brought a lot of things with them, and had a great influence on the Danish society, but this kind of animal cruelty was homegrown, I fear.

So to sum up. Christian and Bella took part in a costum that is at the very least more than a 1.000 years old.

Last edited:

Time to get back to the topic of this thread - if you wish to discuss special traditions, feasts and similar
topics, please use the Members Corner instead! Thanks!

I wonder why we don't get to see any pictures of Christian enter the school or Mary picking up Christian at school! I know that is a private thing and those pictures aren't allowed but I would to see from time to time some casual Mary picking up Christian at school:whistling:

biboquinhas said:
I wonder why we don't get to see any pictures of Christian enter the school or Mary picking up Christian at school! I know that is a private thing and those pictures aren't allowed but I would to see from time to time some casual Mary picking up Christian at school:whistling:

Why would you like to see pictures? Like you said it's a private event. It doesn't tell us or show us anything about the family. It would just be intrusive.

I'm glad that the press is staying decent and leaving the kids alone. What's the point of taking pictures of Christian going to school?

That would be double standards.

You can't appeal to the media to not publish pictures of Christian and Isabella at the school/kindergarten and then publish such pictures yourself.

Apart from that we do see pictures of M&F and their children at various events, where Mary is casual. There are however not that many events out in the open or in the public at this time of year.

ADDED: Okay! Talk about a co-ordinated reply. :)

mary seems to have given an interview to point de vue magazine. she's also on the cover. here's the extract from the website of PDV and a link to the translation

Google Translate.

"Chez la princesse Mary, la faculté d’être totalement impliquée est élevée au rang d’un des beaux-arts. Et pourtant, dans le même temps, on sent qu’elle aimerait aussi qu’on lui laisse les commandes. Et la latitude de soigner les détails. Ce qui ne manque pas d’apparaître pendant la séance photos dans le jardin privé du couple princier, derrière le palais de Frederik VIII, à Copenhague. Le soleil d’hiver fait briller la glace fondue sur la pelouse comme du cristal. Ziggy, le chien de la famille, gambade dans tous les sens, encourageant Mary à shooter dans le ballon pour jouer avec lui."

I am very glad the press seems to leave them alone at school.
It is a bit strange that they do however, since we have seen many pictures of Nikolai & Felix outside their school...

By the way I had to laugh reading the front page of Her&Nu this week: "Frederik & Mary's expensive life - Use 1 million every month - Money goes to house, travels and clothes"
Last week it was all about Mary saving her money by wearing the same items many times.

By the way I had to laugh reading the front page of Her&Nu this week: "Frederik & Mary's expensive life - Use 1 million every month - Money goes to house, travels and clothes"
I´ve bought the magazine and it´s not a critical article. It is actually saying that perhaps they don´t get enough in apanage, since it´s expensive to move, have more children and so on.

Thanks, Carlota :flowers:

It sounds like a translation of the recent interview in Berlingske Tidende. - You know, the high kick picture of Mary and Ziggy.

mary seems to have given an interview to point de vue magazine. she's also on the cover. here's the extract from the website of PDV and a link to the translation

Google Translate.

"Chez la princesse Mary, la faculté d’être totalement impliquée est élevée au rang d’un des beaux-arts. Et pourtant, dans le même temps, on sent qu’elle aimerait aussi qu’on lui laisse les commandes. Et la latitude de soigner les détails. Ce qui ne manque pas d’apparaître pendant la séance photos dans le jardin privé du couple princier, derrière le palais de Frederik VIII, à Copenhague. Le soleil d’hiver fait briller la glace fondue sur la pelouse comme du cristal. Ziggy, le chien de la famille, gambade dans tous les sens, encourageant Mary à shooter dans le ballon pour jouer avec lui."

I'm not quite sure where to put this one.

This is an article in BT about how Frederik trained so that he could take part in the Vasa run on skis lately. Sådan kom Frederik i kanonform - Royale - BT.dk

It turns out that Frederik contacted the doctor Ulrich Gishler, he has been coach for the Danish national skiing team and a doctor for the Swedish national skiing team.

Frederik completed the 90 kilometres in 06.35.32, maintaining an average speed of 14.4 kilometers. (Comfortable cycling speed for those not used to kilometers ;))

Ulrich Gishler tells us: "Frederik himself called me in October to hear whether I wanted to train him".
Per advise Frederik aquired a skiing maschine for his training, an instrument of torture called a Thorax Trainer.
"And he did. To start with he should train two-three times a week. The training consisted of running, skiing on rolls and the skiing-machine".

He recommended that Frederik should run early in the morning where the burning of fat is apparantly best. So Frederik got up in the dark winter mornings, while Mary and the children were asleep to run five-ten kilometers.
"That suited Frederik's family life well. He was also to do 25-30 push ups every day. And good heavens he did it. Durning the run this Sunday, Frederik said to me several times: - I sure am glad I did those push ups".

Apart from all that, Frederik has also worn out the bicylcle lanes in Copenhagen. He went on 20-35 kilometre trips on roller-skis.

"He has been running on roller skis on the bicycle lanes from Amalienborg and to Charlottenlund. And then he has been running in the Holte area and in Grib Forest in Norther Zealand". (*)

Ulrich Gishler is also impressed with the physique of Frederik: "Apart from being a happy, positive person with a fantastic drive, frederik is also very agile. He did some wild crashes on the roller-skis. But he mastered that pretty well. he always came up with the head up and the legs down".

But Frederik was also cheered on by the spectators at the Vasa run: "There were a lot who greeted him and cheered him on out on the track. At the fluids-depots, a lot were shouting: - Come on, Frederik. - I was really proud of our Crown Prince this Sunday. Because it was a fantastic grand and convincing way he completed that run".

(*) I'll leave it to the locals to explain how far that is.

Last edited:
Four Muslims 'planned to kill Danish Crown Prince in Mumbai-style terror attack in revenge for newspaper printing cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed'
Four alleged terrorists targeted Danish Crown Prince Frederik as part of their planned revenge attack on a newspaper that printed cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed, a court heard today. The suspects intended to attack the offices of Politiken in a Mumbai-style terror attack when the crown prince was handing out awards, it was claimed. The men were arrested on their way to the ceremony which eventually took place at the paper as planned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fear Daily Mail is getting a bit sensationalist here.

According to Danish media, the event in which Frederik was to present a prize was the target, simply because there were many people there and their aim was to kill as many as possible.
Frederik himself was most likely not a target, apparantly they didn't even know he was to be present.

Frederik was never in any danger, at least not from this group.
They were under constant surveillance from PET and Säpo, who moved in when the terrorists were getting ready for the attack.

Well, the foreign media has got it wrong.

It would have been all over the news here in DK if Frederik had been a target, it isn't.
That question was cleared shortly after the arrests.

So now we know what the gossip mags will write about next week. :whistling:

Making Frederik the target sells more papers. A terrorist attack with no real aim other than to kill, doesn't sell well anymore as it happens on a daily basis. I doubt anyone in the UK knows who Frederik is.

Artemisia said:
A highly sensationalist article, certainly; however, DM is not by far the only newspaper reported the incident as attempt on Frederik's life.
Just a couple of other articles from around the world:
- Terrorists 'targeted prince event'
- Four accused of targeting Danish prince
- Danes accuse 4 of targeting country's crown prince
- Danish prosecutors: 4 alleged terrorists tried to target sports event that had crown prince

This is scary, knowing that there was an attempt on frederik's life, I would be truly devastated he's one of my favorite prince's.

Wow i could not imagine Mary's feeling about this!!!!!! he is my favorit prince too! Hope they have the right protection for him and all the family!!!

Royal Family members are a natural target for terrorists or extremists. In Britain, the IRA always was after the Windsors, in Spain after the Borbons.

Lumutqueen said:
Making Frederik the target sells more papers. A terrorist attack with no real aim other than to kill, doesn't sell well anymore as it happens on a daily basis. I doubt anyone in the UK knows who Frederik is.

The DM readers by now know that he is the husband of Mary, which was compared to Kate by the DM :)

Summary of two articles in Billed Bladet #22, 2012.
Written by Lisbeth Grube and Ulrik Ulriksen.

Libeth Grube had taken op position at 12.30 on Frederik's birthday, at the quay next to Amalienborg.
M&F walked from Amalienborg, through Amalie Garden to the waiting chalup (the grandest of the bargest onboard Dannebrog). Walking arm in arm with Mary and wearing his navy dress uniform, Frederik was greeted and wished a happy birthday by quite a few onlookers. In their heels followed an adjutant and two anonymous gentlemen from PET.
Frederik turned 44 on that day and Dannebrog turned 80. That was of course celebrated onboard the yacht.

On the way Frederik was asked whether the children had song the birthday song for him.
Frederik confirmed that.

Q: Have you also had drawings and presents from the children?
F: "That too", giving the thumbs up.

The celebrateions onboard Dannebrog lasted until 15.00, when M&F returned to the quay. Someone (presumably the adjutant) carred a tray with left overs from galley onboard Dannebrog. Probably something for the children.
Frederik was celebrated in the evening and the gueasts arrived at Amalienborg for a dinner at 18.30. The dress code was "Amalienborg chic" i.e. casual.

The guests were Ellen Hillingsøe with her Christoffer Carstenskiold.
Rikke and Michael Juul Brandt,
Elisabeth and Christian Buchwald,
Peter Warnøe,
Jeppe and Birgitte Handwerk,
Julie Mølsgaard.

Our reporter, Ulrik Ulriksen who had stationed himself at Amalienborg, observed that welcoming drinks were served at the terrace underneath parasols.

Last edited:
Crown Prince Frederik was in Horsens to attend the Metallica concert

Picture

:previous:
Article with pic of Frederik. Kronprinsen rocker med Metallica i Horsens - Musik | www.bt.dk

The concert took place in the former state prison in Horsens. - That should create a fitting atmosphere for Metallica

The prison was closed down six years ago and today it's been turned in to a local cultural centre, where among other things concerts are held.

There is still a state prison in Horsens. A modern one.

Metallica ain't bad, ain't bad at all!

Thanks iceflower.

The two couples appear to have a very warm friendship.
Per Thornit attended when Mary unveiled her portrait by Gugger Peters ( I think that is the name) in May.
Mary looks great, love the outfit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom