Danish Royal Family, Current Events Part 5: May 2016 - May 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #14, 2019.
Written by Helle Skram de Fries.

QMII and Mary recently attended a parade on the occasion of the 70th anniversary of the formation of the Home Guard.
During that parade a number of very senior guardsmen, who have been members from the very beginning were decorated by QMII.
- Of course they have long since stopped being active members, but being among the founding members and having remained members for so many active years they have been kept on among the currently passive members for life - as IMO a deserved cutesy.

The Home Guard was formed by former Resistance fighters who were appalled that Denmark surrendered after a few hours on 9th April 1940 and who wowed that it should never happen again. When the Russians came, it was expected, Denmark would go down fighting!
(In fact Polish, supported by Russian Marines, were supposed to land south of Copenhagen. Airborne troops were supposed to have landed, taking control of key bridges and East German divisions were supposed to roll up through Jutland a few days after war broke out. - But before that tactical nuclear missiles deployed in East Germany would have destroyed Copenhagen, as well as the towns of Aalborg, Aarhus, Esbjerg, Frederikshavn, Korsør. So would the air bases at Aalborg, Karup, Skrydstrup and Værløse. As well as the fortress at Stevns. And finally the government bunkers Regan East and West - where key persons including the DRF would have taken shelter.
There wouldn't have been much left of Denmark to fight over...)

Another reason why DK surrendered so quickly in 1940 was that the army had been cut down to a skeletal force and had been forbidden by the politicians to prepare defensive position, let alone deploy into defensive position until at the very last minute.
The military was to offer a symbolic resistance - a kind of diplomatic protest by gun.
In the ice cold light of hindsight it was a sound policy that spared Denmark as much as possible from the terrors of war - but it sure isn't something to be proud of!
Many Danes, during and after WWII, when they saw the same politicians in power again, harbored a bitter resentment towards the politicians. So they build up a kind of citizens militia under the military. But with the members having their personal kit, weapon and ammunition at home, so that "the next time" ten of thousands could be mobilized and in place no later than within a couple of hours after an invasion.
The public resentment was high, and the Resistance popular (and as consequence also the Home Guard, combined with a genuine and real fear of a communist fifth column that meant the politicians could not prevent the formation of the Home Guard, even if quite a few feared they could get of control.
There have over the years been several attempts to disband the Home Guard, reduce it or at least disarm it - I won't name a certain party, The Radicals, for being the Home Guard's main adversaries...
And by the late 1980's the Home Guard reached it's peak with more than 70.000 members. Or more than 1 % of the population.

Today, no one wish to disband the Home Guard, not even the far left Unity List have that particularly high on their agenda. Today the Home Guard has been reduced in size but it has also become more professional. The old nickname for Home Guardsmen (I was one myself) was "Weekend warriors" and there was too much truth in that for comfort...

QMII served as as a WAC = Women's Auxillary Corps = In Danish The Lotte Corps. (A male Danish soldier is called Jens, a female soldier a Lotte.) She served from 1958-1970 ending as major a la suite. I.e. having no command.
In 1961 the Lotte Corps came under the Home Guard.
(They were still around when I served in the Home Guard. Issued hopelessly worn out submachine guns, they were little more than female cannon fodder.)
Today women serve on equal footing as males in the Home Guard and issued assault rifles and they constitute some 15 % of the members.

Mary has been a member of the Home Guard for ten years and was on this occasion promoted to captain, or more correctly, issued her three captains stars.
Captain is today the highest rank someone who has not attended the officers academy can rise to. In my time it was lieutenant.

Mary is not attached to a specific company or even region. She belongs to the Home Guard Command - a la suite of course.

ADDED:
A report from the Home Guard:
https://www.hjv.dk/oe/HJK/nyheder/Sider/Flot-markering-af-Hjemmeværnets-jubilæum.aspx

Last edited:
And in continuation of the previous post.

To illustrate the nuclear effects I was mentioning en passant, try use this Nukemap: https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Try type in Copenhagen.
Then enter yield. For the medium range missiles that were deployed in East Germany a typical yield per warhead could very well be around 100 KT. - 50 KT if it's in the lower medium range class.
So enter: 100.
Then select airburst: Airburst are for destroying cities and areas. While ground bursts are against bunkers and similar hardened facilities.
Tick: Casulties.

And detonate...

Try zoom in to locate Amalienborg.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #16, 2019.
Written by our wildlife reporter, Marianne Singer.

As you know pandas have arrived at Copenhagen Zoo, and this being about diplomatic relations and export, (the weekly export of the largest slaughterhouse in DK alone feed some 11 million Chinese with pork, and it's rising, due to Swine Flu in China) QMII and Mary were mobilized on a cold day.
QMII, wearing skirt and red jacket from Celli Freifeldt, had the main role, while Mary, wearing a coat by Strenesse and shoes by Jimmy Choo, had the supporting role.
The pandas, Mao Sun and Xing Er, couldn't care less, they were busy munching down bamboo.

QMII and Mary listened patiently and quite few speeches, with Danish and not least Chinese camera crews dancing around all over the place.
Finally it was time to unveil the new enclosure for the pandas. QMII gave a nice speech and proceeded to open the whole thing by untying a knot. Alas, it turned out to be Gordian knot and QMII fumbled a bit trying to untie the thing. Finally, rather than using a sword, she simply shrugged her shoulders, tossed the knot aside and declared the enclosure open. - There is always something that goes wrong. :lol:
Then it was time to see the panda. The female panda was out in the enclosure, but the male one prudently stayed inside, needing a little more time to adjust to his new surrounding. In fact the enclosure consists of two enclosures. Pandas are not social animals and they live happily apart, only meeting when it's time to breed - if they are in the mood for that, that is...
But Mary got a few snaps of the female panda.

And returned the next day, but more about that in the M&F threads.

Good. That usually means big robes and bling bling.
It's of course very natural that M&F will attend, not least considering Frederik close ties with Greenland. I think this is something he would want to take part in, even if he didn't have to.
Another reason is that J&M will not be able to take part in anything like this for almost a year, and QMII never go alone to such a concert. So we will also see M&F take part in cultural events, where J&M might just as well have taken over.

Another reason is that J&M will not be able to take part in anything like this for almost a year, and QMII never go alone to such a concert. So we will also see M&F take part in cultural events, where J&M might just as well have taken over.

??
If I counted correctly, this concert & dinner will be the 5th since 2012 and it will be the 4th time Frederik and Mary attend. It's not like they have left the "cultural events" to J&M until now and are attending only because they can't.

I was speaking about cultural events in general.

Cultural events where J&M might have stepped in, because on the increased workload of M&F.
But since J&M are in France, it means they will be absent and that M&F as a consequence will take part in more cultural events than they might otherwise have done.

On Tuesday, October 29, 2019, Her Majesty the Queen will host the traditional Fredensborg concert, which this year celebrates the reunion between Greenland, the Faroe Islands and Denmark.

Over the years, Her Majesty the Queen and Prince Henrik have held concerts in the Castle Church at Fredensborg Castle, where various groups of the community have been invited. In 2017, the focus was on the environment and the food sector, and in the past it has been the tourism and health sector and the entrepreneurial environment.

This year, the Queen wants to recognize some of the people who are making efforts for the community between Greenland, the Faroe Islands and Denmark. Thus, Her Majesty on Tuesday, October 29, 2019, invites a wide range of representatives from the parish community to a concert and subsequent dinner in the Dome Hall at Fredensborg Castle. From the green mountains of the Faroe Islands and Greenland's icy mountains to Denmark's fields and forests, the kingdom community spans broad geographically, and through generations the three countries have shared history where friendships and families are intertwined. The evening will thus be a recognition of Greenland, the Faroe Islands and Denmark and the national community of the three countries.
Fredensborgkoncert i rigsfællesskabets tegn | Kongehuset

Frederik and Mary will be in attendance.

All three look stylish.

I wonder if the green hue of QMII's dress is a nod to the Faeroese national dress?
I also noticed QMII was seated between representatives from Greenland and the Faeroe Islands.

Gotta love the DM headlines:lol:.

A great event. Love that they highlighted talents from Greenland and the Faeroe Islands

Some great events we can look forward to in July.

"Next year it is 100 years since South Jutland / North Schleswig after the referendum on February 10, 1920 was reunited with Denmark. Preparations to mark the historic days have been going on for a long time, both nationally, regionally and locally, and although not all details are in place at this time, it is clear that Tønder is one of the cities that can look forward for royal visit.

Queen Margrethe and the Crown Prince couple will visit a total of seven municipalities in southern and southern Jutland from the 9th to the 14th of July and thus relive the journey that the Queen's grandparents, King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine, undertook at that time exactly 100 years ago."

https://jv.dk/artikel/dronningen-og-kronprinseparret-markerer-genforeningen-i-tønder

Nice pictures. Frederik was announced as patron of the choir, taking over from Henrik and king Frederik IX.
It was nice for the Queen to attend

A special event tomorrow, Sunday December 1st, the Queen, Crown prince Frederik and his kids, Princess Marie, Prince Nikolai and Princess Benedikte all attend the premiere of*the ballet 'The Snow Queen' at Tivoli Concert Hall. The Queen is the scenographer.

H.M. Dronningen overværer sammen med H.K.H. Kronprinsen og børn, H.K.H. Prinsesse Marie, H.H. Prins Nikolai samt H.K.H. Prinsesse Benedikte premieren på balletforestillingen ”Snedronningen” i Tivolis Koncertsal | Kongehuset

Mary will probably be on her way to Indonesia for her visit starting December 2.
Joachim as we know has his schooling in Paris.

Do we know who the young lady walking next to our Marie is?

Don't think it's Nikolai's girlfriend, because then she has slimmed down a lot! And changed her facial structure as well.
A relative of our Marie?

Last edited:
Nice to see the family there together; I can imagine this was a lovely festive evening for the DRF. ?

Do we know who the young lady walking next to our Marie is?

Don't think it's Nikolai's girlfriend, because then she has slimmed down a lot! And changed her facial structure as well.
A relative of our Marie?

[-]Could this young lady be one of Marie's nieces ? She has four brothers and at least two of them have children AFAIK.[/-]

Edit : I was totally wrong ! This young lady is Countess Ingrid von Pfeil und Klein-Ellguth, Princess Benedikte's granddaughter. She is so grown up !

Last edited:
I love the queen's continued involvement artistically with the ballet. :flowers:

Lovely seeing so much of her family out supporting her, and at the ballet. Nice also to see Benedikte's granddaughter among them. Ingrid is sure growing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom