Danish Royal Family, Current Events Part 5: May 2016 - May 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Muhler, I have a personal question: Why do you always refer to Prcss Marie as "our Marie"? Is that how she is known to most Danes or is she just a personal favourite of yours? If not so, why don´t you call the CPcss "our Mary"?
I find it interesting that you call a lady that way who lives in Denmark since only 11 years, I think, and not another (native) danish member of your RF.

I was wondering about that for quite a while by now - just curious!

Muhler, I have a personal question: Why do you always refer to Prcss Marie as "our Marie"? Is that how she is known to most Danes or is she just a personal favourite of yours? If not so, why don´t you call the CPcss "our Mary"?
I find it interesting that you call a lady that way who lives in Denmark since only 11 years, I think, and not another (native) danish member of your RF.

I was wondering about that for quite a while by now - just curious!

It's an internal joke I've brought with me from another forum. A number of those who were active on that forum are also active here, hence why I keep using it.
Today it has very much become a term of endearment.

Why, I hear you ask. - Well, let's just say that people who are about to become a royal are naturally curious about the world they are entering. And that's as far as I will go on that matter. ;)

AFAIK only Frederik and Joachim have nicknames here in DK: They are Frede and Jokke.
Mary, Benedikte, (our) Marie and even QMII are always referred to by their names. Daisy is reserved for QMII's family and not used by the general public.

Such a shame that "Frede" (hey there, Muhler!:flowers:), being Down Under, couldn´t make it!

Oh, I think Frede is much happier among the veterans in Australia than among 355 politicians and their spouses. ;)

All the ladies looked good tonight but Margrethe looked especially pretty. I’m not even sure what you’d call the colour she’s wearing - pink/orange/peach? - but she looks beautiful in it.

Oh, I think Frede is much happier among the veterans in Australia than among 355 politicians and their spouses. ;)

Agree. Frederik and the veterans have been a joy to follow and read about. I think both sides are getting so much from their time together.

gallery from tonight
https://www.belgaimage.be/#/search/images?sorting=desc&filters_;&text=Danish Royals October 24 2018

Mary is a knockout
https://0.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:141454259:1800x650:w?v=5b6ff8d3&m=codihmim

added:
another gallery
https://kendte.dk/se-billederne-dronningen-overstraaler-dem-alle-til-stor-gallafest/?image=2

Last edited:
Thanks, Polyesco.

Fellow DK members: Was Mary seated between Anders Samuelsen and Thulesen Dahl?!?
Probably a good idea placing her there, otherwise they might kill each other! - Or more likely: Anders Samuelsen will, again, climb a tree and threaten to hold his breath until he gets his way. :D

Added: She was placed between these two, eh, gentlemen.
Oh well, Anders Samuelsen, our Foreign Minister (*) was probably so busy telling Mary how competent he is that he completely overlooked Thulesen Dahl. - And Thulesen Dahl must have had problems staying on the chair - rather than roll on the floor in uncontrollable laughter.

*) He is the most qualified Foreign Minister DK has ever had. It's true, he said so himself... :whistling:
He has after all read several books on the subject. That was the reason why he consider himself so eminently qualified.
So if you need a new Foreign Minister in your country, you can have one from us, at bargain price. We'll even throw in a brand new clock radio. :D

Last edited:
Saw with my belgian eyes nearly 300 bowing ans curtseys. What a show for the ladies a deep curtsey bow for the Queen , half one for Mary and small one for Marie and Benedikte without looking them. Is the whole Country looking this event on live as I did ?

Saw with my belgian eyes nearly 300 bowing ans curtseys. What a show for the ladies a deep curtsey bow for the Queen , half one for Mary and small one for Marie and Benedikte without looking them. Is the whole Country looking this event on live as I did ?

I'd be surprised if more than a few thousand watched the arrivals live.
It wasn't shown on the TV networks.
It's around the time where the main news are on, or people have dinner, or put their kids to bed.

QMII has gone all out in entertaining her guests lately!

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #43, 2018.
Written by Trine Larsen.

Last week QMII hosted a gala dinner at Christiansborg for participants in P4G summit, consisting of heads of states, prime ministers, ministers and leading businessmen from various countries. 150 in all.
Also present were M&F.

The purpose of the P4G summit was to discuss how to adapt and implement solutions and production that will help ease the effects of the current climate change - and make money at the same time... :D

QMII started the gala by giving the welcoming speech, expressing hope that the summit will help develop international partnerships.

Women were few and far between in this sea of suits, but Mary wore a dress by Claes Iversen. Gian Rossi shoes and clutch.

- After having eaten the guests were led into the adjacent Knights Hall which had been turned into a discotheque 70's style. Here the guests danced the evening away.

And that brings me to the gala for politicians last night.
QMII totally surprised many of her guests by having invited the entertainer Søren Østergaard, who performed as one of his recurring characters who is pretty foul-mouthed and very violently inclined.
QMII, who is an avid fan of Søren Østergaard and his wacky characters was cracking up, while he gave a speech thrashing everybody present.
There is a clip showing both QMII cracking up and one politician sitting literally with has jaw between his knees!
It's a priceless clip and I sincerely hope it will surface soon here on TRF. :D

I suspect QMII of having a very wicked sense of humor - and I understand QEII too has a wicked sense of humor, so I would like to be a fly on the wall when the two of them go into humor-mode. :lol:

Despite the many sh*t and h*ll words flowing out of Søren Østergaard's mouth last evening, this will no doubt endear QMII even more to the average Dane.

ADDED: Here he is: http://underholdning.tv2.dk/royale/...n-og-hendes-gaester-i-ligner-lort-alle-sammen

Go to 6:30 to see the baffled politician - A Social Democrat BTW. (It's AFAIK his first gala with QMII.)

If you listen carefully at the beginning of this clip, you will hear a quacking sound - someone forgot to turn off the mobile...
http://underholdning.tv2.dk/royale/...n-og-hendes-gaester-i-ligner-lort-alle-sammen

Last edited:
Thanks, Polyesco. :flowers:

It's great to see QMII can still swing the old wooden leg, despite her knees and back and age. It looks like she got an inexperienced dancing partner.

You do not approach QMII and ask her to dance, an adjutant informs you that the Queen would like to dance with you.

Les Lanciers is Quadrille, a kind of menuet and it's pretty complicated!
There are AFAIK at least eight different cycles you have to go through, so the dance lasts quite a few minutes and the speed is pretty high as you can see! So you may require a bit of stamina!
As I understand it the fifth cycle requires the gentlemen to lift up their lady and swing her around.
Alexandra has on at least one occasion had the interesting experience of being almost flung around by her partner. - She doesn't weigh that much, you know...

ADDED: Did a little reading, Les Lanciers originated in UK in 1817, under the name: the lancers quadrilles and it became very popular in Europe in the mid 1800's.
Today it's only danced in Denmark in connection with various events within the military, at high schools and at the court.

http://sciencenordic.com/why-danes-dance-’les-lanciers’

Last edited:
Christmas reception at Christiansborg Castle

Yesterday, Queen Margrethe held Julegløgg ( a Danish Christmas drink) at Christiansborg Castle for employees and collaborators.

The Crown Prince Couple and their children Prince Christian, Princess Isabella, Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine also participated.

http://kongehuset.dk/sites/default/files/styles/slideshow/public/2_kna7584.jpg?itok=oU6H9YXE (Josephine looks so proud in this picture, aww)
http://kongehuset.dk/sites/default/files/styles/slideshow/public/9_kna7977.jpg?itok=4pcfJbUK

More pictures at gallery:
Julegløgg på Christiansborg Slot | Kongehuset

Last edited:
How nice to see the Queen and the Crown Prince family at this event. Looks very cozy :flowers:
They look like they had a great time. and Josephine with the Queen very cute

I think it was a neat thing to do, also to invite the conscript mates from Dannebrog who stood watch at PH's coffin.

It's a lovely surprise to see the CP family there and I love how Josephine was lead in with her grandmother. It seems like this was the perfect event for Margrethe with a dance performance and the company of her family. It was a good idea to bring the children as it gradually eases them into more official engagements.

Thanks so much for posting this Polyesco and thanks to Muhler for his comments and research! I loved watching how the more experienced dancers helped those who obviously had gotten lost in the many figures of the dance; this is of course what makes such country dances such fun! However, it is clearly, I think, also a form of social initiation and genetic selection: if you can't do it, you are not part of the tribe!:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
For a uniform nerd like me this is great!

Mary is wearing the brand new mess-uniform for women in the military.
Frederik is wearing the navy mess-uniform.

Mary's uniform, complete with her lieutenant's diamonds, is the same for all branches of the armed forces.

Last edited:
For a uniform nerd like me this is great!

Mary is wearing the brand new mess-uniform for women in the military.
Frederik is wearing the navy mess-uniform.

Mary's uniform, complete with her lieutenant's diamonds, is the same for all branches of the armed forces.

this is indeed a great touch!

" "as the first ever H.R.H. The Crown Princess wears this evening The Armed Forces' uniform for women. The dress is joint defense, that is to say, the same for all branches and it is made of black satin wool and has a black belt with gold embroidered oak tree and floral motif. The work of designing a new uniform for women in the Armed Forces began some years ago, when a group of female officers in the Air Force started the project. The new uniform enters into the uniform provisions of the various brances on the same terms as the old company uniform for women."

gallery
https://www.belgaimage.be/#/gallery/6435338

this is indeed a great touch!

" "as the first ever H.R.H. The Crown Princess wears this evening The Armed Forces' uniform for women. The dress is joint defense, that is to say, the same for all branches and it is made of black satin wool and has a black belt with gold embroidered oak tree and floral motif. The work of designing a new uniform for women in the Armed Forces began some years ago, when a group of female officers in the Air Force started the project. The new uniform enters into the uniform provisions of the various brances on the same terms as the old company uniform for women."

gallery
https://www.belgaimage.be/#/gallery/6435338

Indeed, Polyesco.

The captions to the Belgaimage is nonsense.
They are obviously unaware that Mary is lieutenant in the Army Home Guard. There is no such thing as a uniform honoring the navy. Apart from that her lieutenant insignias are from the army.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom