Danish Royal Family, Current Events Part 5: May 2016 - May 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im thinking...the State visit from Belgium is next week, would they really announce something big just before a state visit?

So maybe it is "just" a dinner for the State Council? the last one was 2009, so maybe 8 years is enough time for a new one without a big announcement?
:flowers:

Im thinking...the State visit from Belgium is next week, would they really announce something big just before a state visit?

Just as an example, Juan Carlos' abdication was announced on June 2 2014, one week before the State Visit from Mexico, his last one as King.

So that should be no problem.

I would be personally surprised if it was just a Government dinner for no apparent reason, especially with the Belgian State Dinner in less than a week. Considering the last two dinners involved a major annoucement, and with CP Mary also present for the first time, it is sounding like an announcement about QMII future. What that means, I guess we'll find out soon.

I'd be very surprised if she was announcing her abdication. I don't want her too! She is a firm favourite of mine!

I would be personally surprised if it was just a Government dinner for no apparent reason, especially with the Belgian State Dinner in less than a week. Considering the last two dinners involved a major annoucement, and with CP Mary also present for the first time, it is sounding like an announcement about QMII future. What that means, I guess we'll find out soon.
CP Mary does not attend this for the first time. She did attend the one in 2003 and we have no idea as to if she did attend the last one in 2009. The last two dinners did have a major announcements, but not the one before those.

The Spanish Royal Family has nothing to do with this.

CP Mary does not attend this for the first time. She did attend the one in 2003 and we have no idea as to if she did attend the last one in 2009. The last two dinners did have a major announcements, but not the one before those.

The Spanish Royal Family has nothing to do with this.

Semantics, you could say. This is the first time that Crown Princess Mary has attended. In 2003, she was one half of an engaged couple, still a civilian, and it was a very special occasion for her. We can only guess, right now, why she attends this week, but we'll find out soon.

Maybe CP Mary will officially have some regency capacity as future Queen and mother of a future King? (Oh good Lord... Prince Henrik would have a cow!!! LOL ) OR, it's just a simple dinner.

Last edited:
Given how often the Queen has said she won't abdicate I just don't see it personally however, equally I don't know what else it could be. Could the Queen and Henrik are divorcing? Could it be the PM resigning? I don't necessarily see Mary being there as a massive issue if she has attended in the past.

I found this information on another message board. The last state council dinner was on March 31, 2009 at Amalienborg and both Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary attended, so we can't read anything into CP Mary's presence at the dinner this time. However, after that particular dinner, the Danish PM did step down as he was elected head of NATO.
Interestingly enough...there were similar speculations about QMII abdicating but by that time, the joint state visit visit of the regent and Crown prince couples to Vietnam had been announced.

Last edited:
I found this information on another message board. The last state council dinner was on March 31, 2009 at Amalienborg and both Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary attended, so we can't read anything into CP Mary's presence at the dinner this time. However, after that particular dinner, the Danish PM did step down as he was elected head of NATO.
Interestingly enough...there were similar speculations about QMII abdicating but by that time, the joint state visit visit of the regent and Crown prince couples to Vietnam had been announced.

good point. I see now on the Mary Message Board that she was in fact scheduled to attend and likely did so. So it definitely won't be her first as CP. I also saw that in 2009 the secretary to the Queen said that the dinner is supposed to take place every few years and they were just trying to get everyone together at the same time and so there was no special reason for the dinner, lol.

Exactly...so it appears to be just a simple dinner . On the other hand....we'll just have to wait and see if any major announcements are made after.

The very serious paper, Berlingske, has asked QMII's cabinet secretary (private counselor, especially in issues regarding government and parliament and dealing with political issues, more than actual secretary), Henning Fode.

He explains that there is nothing more mysterious about this dinner than there is with every other dinner who occasionally have with your working partners. - And that there are no events the DRF will announce in connection with this dinner.

Such dinner is held with someone you have worked with for a while. I.e. the government. But it's unusual for a Danish government to remain unchanged for more than a few years, or even a four-year period. (Changing government coalitions and major reshuffles are common).
Henning Fode says that now both the government and the DRF managed to find a date that suited all.

- All that still sounds a bit weird to me.
The current government coalition has only been around for four months or so. This was presumably planned more than four months ago, I.e. under the previous one-party government.
So to me this is either a: "Screw it! I'll end up dead before there is a government who has been in office long enough. So this will be the date, no matter who and what the government consists of. Period!"
Or a political announcement will follow.... Because Henning Fode only denied that the court would have an announcement.

Mystik om Dronning Margrethes middag: Her er forklaringen bag | BT Politik - www.bt.dk

I've been keeping an anxious eye on this, hoping that this dinner is not made the occasion of some terrible announcement about the Queen's health, necessitating her stepping down. So, it looks as if it might be just a regular old political and social meeting, in spite of the odd timing, with no special reason for it? I still remain a bit perturbed.

Will this be a gala dinner?

I can't remember seeing any photos from the 2009 dinner but 2003 was long dresses,
white tie.

I've been keeping an anxious eye on this, hoping that this dinner is not made the occasion of some terrible announcement about the Queen's health, necessitating her stepping down. So, it looks as if it might be just a regular old political and social meeting, in spite of the odd timing, with no special reason for it? I still remain a bit perturbed.

What is odd about the timing?

Last edited by a moderator:
That, as Muhler explained, the current government has only been in for a matter of four months, scarcely long enough to warm the seats, and there is no political crisis looming, no ministerial resignations etc (as far as we know.)

Photo of Amalienbrog tonight:

"The Royal Dining Hall in Christian VII's Palace form tonight room for the State Council dinner, which the Queen, the Crown Prince Couple and the Government participates in. Photo: The Royal Family ©"

https://www.instagram.com/p/BR82D_5jHSq/

Just watched live coverage from the dinner in the TV2 news tonight.
The DRF would have posted group pictures from the dinner tonight.
But due to the terror attack in London today they have chosen not to take the group pictures.

That mean - I think - that we won't get any pictures from the dinner.
Except for the ministers arriving.

Do we know long after the past dinners that the engagement and PM departure were announced?

That, as Muhler explained, the current government has only been in for a matter of four months, scarcely long enough to warm the seats, and there is no political crisis looming, no ministerial resignations etc (as far as we know.)

That government is a political crisis in itself :whistling:

So in summary, this State Council meeting was much ado about nothing...

Do you know the reason for this council meeting?

I am so sorry that because of the terrorist attack in London that the group photos were not taken and released publicly. I wonder if photos being released was a signal of a new openness by the Danish court or in reaction to the media speculation?

Do you know the reason for this council meeting?

The State council was held as usual on the 15th of March. Yesterday was only a dinner with the members of the State council & Crown Princess Mary.

We got one large group picture from the dinner.
The DRF have just published this picture on their Facebook:

https://m.facebook.com/detdanskekon...03853314870/450908215247765/?type=3&source=48

yes, one lovely photo
http://kongehuset.dk/sites/default/...ublic/ob-statsraadsmiddag_0.jpg?itok=_4i8JD_q

plus a gallery of the guests, if anyone is interested ;)
Statsrådsmiddag | Kongehuset

Frederik and Mary on their way to or from the dinner
http://imageupper.com/s02/1/1/P1490282447317956_1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom