Danish Royal Family, Current Events Part 5: May 2016 - May 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harsh answer .
You are comparing A Royal Couple with 6 Royal Junior members of the Danish RF

BB's deadline is Tuesday noon, so there isn't that much coverage. And what there is focus mostly on Joachim and our Marie.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #31, 2016.
Written by our man in Rio, Ulrik Ulriksen.

M&J started out with a private holiday to Brazil, going among other places to the spectacular waterfall Iguacu, which is located at the border between Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay.
But then they went to Rio to celebrate the 125th anniversary of the Scandinavian Club Nordlyset (the Northern Light) in Rio. 125 years makes it the oldest ex-pat club in the world.
M&F arrived first to a lunch. Marie wearing a top from Vero Moda.
Then they returned for a gala dinner in the evening. Here Marie wore a dress from Temperley London and shoes from Manolo Blahnik.
And it was here Joachim again displayed his talent for giving speeches and mingling with suits.

Later M&F joined them for the opening of the Danish pavilion, which is one of the long row of international pavilions along the famous Ipanema beach in Rio.
And its here Mary was photographed hugging bette Henrik. And it was also here bette Henrik helped farbror (*) Frederik opening the pavilion by holding the ribbon that was cut.
Since DK is very much branded as a cycling nation the DRF were issued various bikes and send for a ride. Nikolai was issued a Christiania-bike and drove his two younger half-siblings around. (The genuinel Christiania bike. It's solid like a tank! And in contrast to the more nimble Nihola bikes, can carry much heavier loads - and survive an impact head on with an eighteen wheeler! Though the truck may need a bit of repair afterwards...)

The LEGO event must have taken place close to the deadline, so that is only mentioned en passant.

https://app.box.com/s/628kq1rj2g10f2qgqbxh6515rd0fjtje

(*) There are as you know by now several words for aunts and uncles in Danish.

Onkel = uncle in general or someone who has married into the family.
Morbror = Mother's brother.
Farbror = Father's brother.
- Frederik is farbror to Joachim's children.

Tante = aunt in general or someone who has married into the family.
Moster = Mother's sister.
Faster = Father's sister.
- So Mary is tante to Joachim's children.

:previous: interesting how many words for uncle and aunt thank you .
I think Joachim and Marie's first events were in Sao Paulo not Rio, I think.

It was nice to see them all in the Danish Pavilion, the kronprinsparret fund did a donation to it. I think we will see Frederik again for Danish Sustainability Days .

Danish sounds like fascinating language with all those different words for things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Muhler they don't make trucks like they used to. HA HA! :ROFLMAO:

Is it necessary to have the two Danish Princes in a so poor Country?

Did you know that Queen Siliva of Sweden group up in this "poor country"?
I took this from Wikipedia:

Silvia Renate Sommerlath was born in Heidelberg, Germany, on 23 December 1943,[1] the only daughter of the late Alice (née Soares de Toledo) and Walther Sommerlath. Her father was German and her mother was Brazilian.

The Sommerlath family lived in São Paulo, Brazil, between 1947 and 1957, where the Queen attended the traditional German school Colégio Visconde de Porto Seguro and Walther Sommerlath held various positions, including President of the Brazilian subsidiary of Swedish company Uddeholms AB. The family returned to West Germany in 1957.[citation needed]

So Queen Siliva got a very good education in this "poor country " and she had been doing great as a Queen!

Not sure if this was included before, but two weeks ago at the opening of the Danish Pavilion in Rio, Crown prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary, Prince Joachim and Princess Marie signed a "smart desk" made in DK. This will be auctioned off to benefit a young athlete and a young designer
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIuF6BtBG3d/

Yesterday, August 31, Prince Henrik hosted a reception for participants of the Gold Cup Race of Dragons and other guests at the royal yacht Dannebrog.
Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Christian attended as well and these two fantastic photos were made:

** kongehuset.dk: Reception på Kongeskibet Dannebrog **

Such lovely pictures :)

:previous: those are some very cute pictures of the three. Henrik in his role as grandfather is nice to see.
and what a lovely surprise, as only Henrik was listed in the calendar. I had a hunch Frederik will attend as he has been participating in the sailing cup. But so cute that Christian joined them (just like he joined Frederik during the opening of the Harbor in May after their sailing)

and a beautiful photo with the flag and sea behind them

Those are very nice pictures. They all look happy and relaxed. Say what you will about Henrik, but there is no denying that he is a loving grandfather. :flowers:

I think Henrik is very fond of this picture: 2 future kings and - Henrik :whistling:
One could think this is the three generation of Danish Kings :ROFLMAO:

An event today for Frederik and Joachim
"Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Joachim participating in Kong Fugleskydning (bird observing?) and lunch at the Royal Copenhagen Shooting Society and the Danish Brotherhood

article and picture
Kronprins Frederik og prins Joachim skød med skarpt | BILLED-BLADET
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...media/article/_mho6770_copy.jpg?itok=t-3lsAiO

"As winner of last year's competition and resulting title as ceremonial president was Crown Prince Frederik, who welcomed the guests. They spoke among others his own brother, Prince Joachim, who had previously taken the walk from Emiliekildevej 16 to Sølyst, located a few hundred meters down the same road."

later today a dinner will be held

video of Joachim walking to the event and Frederik greeting him
Lod bilen stå: Prins Joachim til fods - Her og nu

an article with a bit more info on this traditional event
http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...-prins-joachim-skal-fyre-den-af-i-klampenborg

Thanks Polyesco. :flowers:

But it is bird-shooting. - But don't worry, they are shooting at wooden birds and it's all for fun.
The one who shoots best is proclaimed "bird-king" of the year.

Thanks Polyesco. :flowers:

But it is bird-shooting. - But don't worry, they are shooting at wooden birds and it's all for fun.
The one who shoots best is proclaimed "bird-king" of the year.

thank you Muhler. google translate was not helping much :flowers::flowers:
so Frederik was "bird-king" last year

Let's return to PH and Frederik and Christian sailing.

While Christian was sailing with dad, grandpapa Henrik stayed mainly on shore with a good friend of his, Fritz Schur, and two dachshunds.
The very influential businessman Fritz Schur is the one who handles the investments of the Regent couple after the death of Mærsk McKinney Møller.
I don't think he handles M&F's investments, in fact I don't think he has much to do with M&F at all. Nor is he involved in Joachim's investments.
I mention this because Fritz Schur as one of DKs most influential businessmen has a good deal of enemies.

The article mentions that PH a few week ago fell and bend three ribs.
He met several locals in the harbor and posed with one, a women. (You can see her next to PH in one of the photos in the article. The scans can be found in the Mary in Greenland thread).
PH expressed his sadness that it wasn't possible to give a big show for all the locals at Chateau Cayx recently for security reasons.

PH said about his son and grandson: "It's so nice to see them both sharing that interest (sailing). I would have liked to have sailed as well, but unfortunately I have to contend with looking on... but that's a pleasure as well. I'm very, very proud of them".

He is however slightly surprised when he learns that Christian is sailing as well: "(Laughing) Really? I did hear him plaquing the Crown Prince during dinner about sailing along today, but I actually didn't think he'd succeed... (Laughing) That's funny. Nice that he is so interested.
The Queen would also have liked to see the Crown Prince and Christian sailing, that could have been fun, but unfortunately that wasn't possible". (QMII was in Greece, celebrating her sister's birthday).

PH and a number of friends strolled around in Hornbæk harbor. People who have a boat in Hornbæk typically don't have only one boat - like the common riff raff... :p
Here he met a retired women, Kirsten Krogh: "I admire You a lot. I really do. You have been fantastic for Denmark. That I think You should know. May I allow myself to take a photo of You"?
PH: "Only if You Yourself is in the picture as well". So the valet took the photo of both of them.

In fact a lot of people greeted and chatted with PH, and the pier was long so when PH spotted a cycle: "Wonder if I can borrow this one? - It's locked".
Fritz Shur: "Yes, that's something we do here in Denmark, where there is a risk of vagrant princes on the pier".
PH: "But, am I really supposed to walk all the way back? I don't think I can manage".
After considering the royal chaluppe from Dannebrog PH continued: "Then I'll have to sit down for a while".

But our reporter also caught up with Frederik and Christian when they returned with their boat.
How did they do?
Frederik: "Well, a bit up and down. First to the pier, means first across the finishing line".
Nah, that's not really true, is it?
F: "No, first to the pier means first to the bar. - First to the pier doesn't necessarily mean that it went well. It can be the opposite as well".

Then he praised his son: "But you have to say that it's good to have a young spirited lad to help.
Christian is really a good mate who has a feeling for it and it is getting obvious these days that he is getting better and better for each time he comes along. So that's really fine".
Christian: "It's really fun and exiting to sail".

Q: Isn't it fantastic to be able to share such an experience with your son?
F: "Yes! It's simply so fun and so great. We are really having fun out there and it's a fantastic feeling to be able to share such an interest with your son. And especially because he doesn't whine because it's cold or windy. That he doesn't think it's more fun to sit with an iPad and play games, but instead is really on and want this".

Christian took a couple of days off school to be able to sail along but: "Yes, the holiday is so much over. And he is going back to school tomorrow! No mercy there".

Q: Are you so good at school that it's okay to take time off?
C: "Yeah, it's ok".
F: "At least that's when he thinks himself. But again, he's had a some good days up here".

Q: Christian sailed along as the forth mate. How is that possible?
F: "It's about the total weight. That's for 285 kilos (628 pounds), so the rest of us have to starve ourselves and keep slim... no, we the three regular mates are below that weight. Because the three of us are so slim Christian can still tag along. - Three thin and a half".

But Christian is weighing just over 40 kilos (88 pounds) now, so time is running out.

:previous: thank you Muhler . what a special experience for all three. I'm glad they were able to, you never know what the future holds and it's memories like this that will be treasured.

Here is a live feed from the reception at Christiansborg.
https://www.dr.dk/tv/live/dr1

Frederik is not present. He fractured his neck slightly at a trampoline accident Thursday evening. As such he needs to wear a collar for twelve weeks, but he is expected to have a full recovery.
Instead (or perhaps it was planned but not announced) Christian and Bella accompany their mother.

:previous:

Crown Prince Frederik sent a message instead, that was released on the website of the Palace:

Naturally I am sorry not to be able to participate at the reception today. I had been looking forward to celebrating the Danish athletes great historical achievement in Rio. I wish the participants a good day at Christiansborg.

Frederik's accident can be discussed at the family's general news thread.

The athletes are now greeting the DRF and they are lined up according to rank:
QMII (sitting down, her back must be giving her trouble).
Mary.
Christian.
Isabella.
Joachim.
Our Marie.
Benedikte.

The first to greet them was the PM, followed by the Chairwoman of the Parliament and the Minister of Culture.
Then the medal-winners followed by the other contestants.

The athletes are now greeting the DRF and they are lined up according to rank:
QMII (sitting down, her back must be giving her trouble).
Mary.
Christian.
Isabella.
Joachim.
Our Marie.
Benedikte.
In the guest list, Christian and Isabella were below Benedikte.

Yes, but when it comes to the Line of Succession they come before Benedikte - even though they are not eighteen yet.
But I think it's only natural they should be standing next to their mother.

I believe this is the first time Christian and Bella are lined up like this along with the rest of the DRF.

Here is a pic of Mary and her two oldest: Prinsesse Isabella og prins Christian med til OL-hyldest på slottet | BILLED-BLADET

I just heard QMII will remain sitting during the reception. Her back must really be killing her!
Wonder who will represent the DRF to Thailand?
Frederik is very doubtful.
My guess will be Mary.
Slightly off topic of course but I couldn't help wondering.

It was actually very sweet to see Bella when they walked in. She was a bit shy over the photographers, because it was a surprise that she and her brother was there, so of course the photographers flashed away! But Mary put her arm reassuring around her daughter's shoulders.
And QMII with her back?

ADDED: A photo of our Marie and her Joachim: http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/se-billedet-prinsesse-marie-smuk-i-dannebrogs-farver

And here is a short video of the DRF greeting the guests: http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/video-dronningen-lykoensker-danske-ol-og-pl-medaljevindere#!/
Bella looks like she wouldn't mind dancing a few steps inbetween shaking hands, while Christian is very serious.

QMII referred to Frederik's accident in her speech. Saying he was sorry he couldn't attend and added: "When you jump in a trampoline when you are almost 50, it is perhaps not so strange that it goes wrong. But he's well, he's just not allowed to play along here".
She says the above at 0:29 - in her usual style...
http://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2016-...linulykke-ikke-saa-maerkeligt-at-det-gik-galt

Last edited:
I just heard QMII will remain sitting during the reception. Her back must really be killing her!
My guess will be Mary.

mulher, thailand should not be a problem. in the thread for the death of the thai king it was mentioned that the funerals will take long to prepare - at least several months. so it should be no problem for the DRF to send frederik, or both frederik and mary, in representation if they so wish. (i personally would like margrethe to be there as the late king was of her generation but possibly its a bit much for her to attend with her back problems and such a long away away...)

QMII referred to Frederik's accident in her speech. Saying he was sorry he couldn't attend and added: "When you jump in a trampoline when you are almost 50, it is perhaps not so strange that it goes wrong. But he's well, he's just not allowed to play along here".
Dronningen om kronprinsens trampolinulykke: Ikke så mærkeligt at det gik galt - TV 2

margrethe is a funny lady indeed. i loved watching the video. i am sure it made all the attendees laugh and her comment was appropriate for a joyous occasion such as this one, receiving the olympic team.

Yes, but when it comes to the Line of Succession they come before Benedikte - even though they are not eighteen yet.
But I think it's only natural they should be standing next to their mother.

I believe this is the first time Christian and Bella are lined up like this along with the rest of the DRF.

Here is a pic of Mary and her two oldest: Prinsesse Isabella og prins Christian med til OL-hyldest på slottet | BILLED-BLADET

My guess will be Mary.

It was actually very sweet to see Bella when they walked in. She was a bit shy over the photographers, because it was a surprise that she and her brother was there, so of course the photographers flashed away! But Mary put her arm reassuring around her daughter's shoulders.
And QMII with her back?

ADDED: A photo of our Marie and her Joachim: SE BILLEDET: Prinsesse Marie smuk i Dannebrogs farver | BILLED-BLADET

And here is a short video of the DRF greeting the guests: VIDEO Dronningen lykønsker danske OL- og PL-medaljevindere | Nyheder | DR
Bella looks like she wouldn't mind dancing a few steps inbetween shaking hands, while Christian is very serious.

Dronningen om kronprinsens trampolinulykke: Ikke så mærkeligt at det gik galt - TV 2

Typical mother, he's an idiot for jumping on a trampoline what she probably said to him:ROFLMAO: lol.

It's a lovely video, and good on the Queen for appearing in spite of what is probably terrible pain. It was great to see Christian and Isabella in the line-up beside their mother, too. I think both of them looked very composed. It's a pity Frederik couldn't be present, but I can imagine him bouncing up and down on a trampoline, actually!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom