Danish Royal Family, Current Events 3: April 2010 - June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pss Isabella is so cute, when she´s licking the windows :)

I rather think it's disgusting to lick windows. When I only think of the harsh chemical glass cleaners. :eek:

Love the pictures of the hunt. The family looks quite relaxed. Why weren't Marie and Joachim in attendance?

I don't like too when child licks windows - it's impolite and discusting too. But Isabella isn't my child so i can just say what is my opinion about that act...

But otherwise Isabella acts very nicely and I really enjoy seeing these family photos.

I rather think it's disgusting to lick windows. When I only think of the harsh chemical glass cleaners. :eek:

Aww come on......children will be children and licking windows is just a small part of being a child. As for harsh chemicals, I use warm water and a clean cloth on my windows and they look great so.......there is every chance, with all the glass in that beautiful palace, their cleaners do too. Cleaning agents would be very expensive :flowers:
The pictures are lovely and I too love Isabella's new hair style :clap:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #45, 2010.
Isabellas herlige Hubertusjagt - Isabella's lovely Hubertus Hunt.
Written by the Ulrik Ulriksen.

The annual Hubertus Hunt took place in Dyrehaven, right outside Copenhagen. That involves riders and horse-thingies. Who cares, because the royal children grabbed all the attention. Litterally! More on that later...
Now, Isabella is a girl and the youngest, so she was left more or less on her own. Sporting a new hairstyle and poncho-something, she nevertheless seemed to enjoy herself.
The DRF members gathered at Eremitage Slottet (a very small hunting palace) and from here they had a good overview of the hunt (it's really a sort of race), along with organisers and onlookers, photographers and journalists standing nearby.

Well, what do you do, if you are the only girl around? You can sneak a little away from your parents and just sit and enjoy the sun on the stairs, or you can pull your poncho-whatever-it-is over your head and play peek-a-boo with the photographers. It becomes only so much more fun, when mother pull your poncho down again. Bella had a good laugh.

Inside the palace. Hmm, what to do? You can breathe on the windows and draw figures. (And presumably clean the windows afterwards with her tounge).

The adults. Prince Henrik, Mary and Frederik are interested in horses and Frederik expects that he will take part in the hunt next year.

Then we have the boys, the Hubertus-Gang, constisting of Nikolai, Felix and Christian. They quickly got together and stayed together!
With a short interruption when Christian borrowed grandpapa's binoculars in order to see what was going on. Horses and riders in the distance. Big deal. Where are Nikolai and Felix?
When they weren't teasing eachother, they were armwrestling. Nikolai, being the oldest showed Christian how to do it and gallantly allowed him to win. So cool!
Buut leaving three boys unattended for just a moment can have consequences. While the adults were inside, the Hubertus-Gang sneaked outside, to where the microphones used by the commentator were left unguarded. And suddenly thousands of people present in Dyrehaven heard three giggling boys over the loudspeakers and then Nikolai's voice: "Thanks to everyone who has come here today, we are standing here waiting to see the horses jump into the water. (*) That was it for today", he managed to add before someone must have interrupted them.

(*) The Magazine-pond, where most onlookers gather, hoping for some unfortunate riders, dressed in their finest, to fall off their horses and into the very wet, very cold and pretty muddy water.

I look forward to seeing Christian on the job with his grandpapa Henrik, when they on the 17. November are going to unveil a portrait together.

It is however not the first time he follow his farfar (grandfather *) on the job.

Do you remember when Christian went with Prince henrik to the opening of the new elephant house in Copenhagen Zoo, was it two years ago?

The pics from that event are still among the top ten on the cute-list. :lol:

(*) Let's take the Danish names for grandparents once again:
Mormor = your mother's mother = grandmother.
Farmor = your father's mother = grandmother.
Morfar = your mother's father = grandfather.
Farfar = your father's father = grandfather.
Bedstemor = grandmother in general.
Bedstefar = grandfather in general.
Bedstemor and bedstefar are not used that much about your own grandparents nowadays, is it can make them feel ancient. :p

Definetely it's very good for Christian attend several official events and do it sometimes with her farfar too. And as we can remember from their first event Christian did his job very well! And I'm sure that now everything is going to be well too - Christian has been made clear that he is well behavied boy and his parents have done with him very good job:)

And now something out of the topic -

It's so interesting that there are different words about grandparents in Danish. In Estonian we use generally vanaema = grandmother, vanaisa = grandfather but we have words emaema = mother's mother and isaisa = father's father too. But difference is that we use these words for both pair of grandparents. And therefore for me was very interesting to see that in Danish there are different names for mother's and father's parents:)

Thank you Muhler:flowers:

Last edited:
Buut leaving three boys unattended for just a moment can have consequences. While the adults were inside, the Hubertus-Gang sneaked outside, to where the microphones used by the commentator were left unguarded. And suddenly thousands of people present in Dyrehaven heard three giggling boys over the loudspeakers and then Nikolai's voice: "Thanks to everyone who has come here today, we are standing here waiting to see the horses jump into the water. (*) That was it for today", he managed to add before someone must have interrupted them.

(*) The Magazine-pond, where most onlookers gather, hoping for some unfortunate riders, dressed in their finest, to fall off their horses and into the very wet, very cold and pretty muddy water.
I can add that in the magazine "Her&Nu" the story goes like this:

Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix said in the microphone: "Hello, is there anyone outthere?" and when they found out that the mic was on they laughed out "shiiiiiiii" and then shortly after a voice from a younger boy saying: "Hi, my name is Prince Christian, hi" :whistling::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I look forward to seeing Christian on the job with his grandpapa Henrik, when they on the 17. November are going to unveil a portrait together.
And grandpapa being the keyword here as Prince Henrik is called Grandpapa by the grandchildren :)
Bedstemor and bedstefar are not used that much about your own grandparents nowadays, is it can make them feel ancient. :p
Weeeeell, my parents are Bedstemor and Bedstefar ;) They have decided to be called that since I have a brother and children can argue over what the "name" of the grandparent is...

I guess my parents knows my brother and I too well :whistling::whistling::whistling: We would argue over such a thing :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, FasterB. Nice to have you around :flowers:

Was there anything else interesting in Her & Nu this week?

And in continuation of Danish names for relatives:

Onkel = Uncle = Uncle in general or someone who has married into your family.
Tante = Aunt = Aunt in general or someone who has married into your family.
Moster = Aunt = Your mother's sister.
Faster = Aunt = Your father's sister.
Morbror = Uncle = Your mother's brother.
Farbror = Uncle = Your father's brother.
Grandtante = A sister to one of your grandparents.
Grandonkel = A brother to one of your grandparents.

So Mary is tante (aunt) to Nikolai and Felix, because she is married into the family.
While Frederik is farbror (uncle) to Nikolai and Felix.

For Agnessa: My guess then is that Estonian for father is isa and mother is ema?

Thanks, FasterB. Nice to have you around :flowers:
Thanks, Muhler, it´s nice to be around :wave::wave:

Was there anything else interesting in Her & Nu this week?
Hmm, I can´t remember, but I´ll check when I get home and now I got a scanner, so I actually can scan if there are something else of interest :D

I really like to use the Farbror/Morbror, Faster/Moster thing here, because it´s so easy to let everyone know who´s in the bloodline and who´s married into it :):):)

Last edited:

This is similar in Macedonian (my second language) as well, although we have four different pairings of how to say 'Aunt' and 'Uncle' :cool: And if you don't know how they relate to everyone, you can get mightly confused!

I'm looking forward to see Henrik and Christian at the portrait unveiling - Henrik really seems to adore his 'barnebarnet' (did I get that right Muhler?) :)

I'm looking forward to see Henrik and Christian at the portrait unveiling - Henrik really seems to adore his 'barnebarnet' (did I get that right Muhler?) :)
I´m not Muhler, but you did get it right, although it´s not "barnebarnet", but "barnebarn". (In english "THE grandchild / grandchild")

Last edited:
This is similar in Macedonian (my second language) as well, although we have four different pairings of how to say 'Aunt' and 'Uncle' :cool: And if you don't know how they relate to everyone, you can get mightly confused!

Yes, you did. :) Barnebarn = Grandchild in general.
(It used to be even more detailed in the old days. Datterdatter = Grandchild = the daughter of my daughter. Sønnesøn = Grandchild = the son of my son and so on....). :p

So Prince Henrik is Christian's "farfar" (but he is called grandpapa) and QMII is Christian's "farmor".
John Donaldson is Christian's "morfar", while Susan Moody is not related. I guess she could be called "bedstemor".
Had Mary's mother still been alive, she would have been Christian's "mormor"
Princess Benedikte and Queen Anne-Marie are both a "grandtante" to Christian.
Joachim is Christian's "farbror" and because the fair Marie is married into the family, she is Christian's "tante".
Had Queen Ingrid still been alive, she would have been Christian's "oldemor" (great-grandmother), while Frederik IX would have been Christian's "oldefar" (great-grandfather).

The countless names for relatives in Danish is almost a science in itself. :p

ADDED: I see that FasterB :flowers: answered your question. And FasterB, your links have been updated....

Last edited:
Yes, you did. :) Barnebarn = Grandchild in general.
(It used to be even more detailed in the old days. Datterdatter = Grandchild = the daughter of my daughter. Sønnesøn = Grandchild = the son of my son and so on....). :p
ADDED: I see that FasterB :flowers: answered your question. And FasterB, your links have been updated....

Thanks Muhler and FasterB! :flowers: The 'grandchildren' part of Danish, in the olden days at least, is opposite to Macedonian, we only have two words for grandson and granddaughter - and then those words also mean niece and nephew! :p

In more Danish news, Queen Ingrid's three daughters - Margrethe, Benedikte and Anne-Marie, visited her grave at Roskilde Cathedral on November 7th - the 10th anniversary of her death.
Article and Pictures from Billed Bladet

My links??? :unsure:

In more Danish news, Queen Ingrid's three daughters - Margrethe, Benedikte and Anne-Marie, visited her grave at Roskilde Cathedral on November 7th - the 10th anniversary of her death.
Article and Pictures from Billed Bladet
Awww, that´s sweet :wub: QMII had an anchor with her from CP Frederik to his beloved Grandmother. He couldn´t be there as he was at the Hubertus HUnt

Princess Benedikte and Queen Anne-Marie are both a "grandtante" to Christian.
Joachim is Christian's "farbror" and because the fair Marie is married into the family, she is Christian's "tante".

The aunts and uncles have me sort of confused. ;) So if it's an aunt/uncle by blood rather than just marriage, you spell the relationship out - Joachim is Christian's farbror, father's brother. And Benedikte and Anne-Marie are Frederik's morsostre, mother's sisters? Correct?

So why are they simply "grandtante" to Christian, instead of grandmorsoster or farmorsoster? Are all great-aunts automatically grandtante, whether it's by blood or marriage? Is there any distinction between the title of a great-aunt by blood, like Anne-Marie, and the great-uncle who is just her husband, Constantine? :ermm:

The aunts and uncles have me sort of confused. ;) So if it's an aunt/uncle by blood rather than just marriage, you spell the relationship out - Joachim is Christian's farbror, father's brother. And Benedikte and Anne-Marie are Frederik's morsostre, mother's sisters? Correct?
That´s correct, except it´s Moster (mother´s sister, sg.) and Mostre (mother´s sisters, pl.) :flowers:

So it will be:
Morbror = Mother´s brother
Moster = Mother´s sister

Farbror = Father´s brother
Faster = Father´s sister

I don´t know about the last part of your question :)

So why are they simply "grandtante" to Christian, instead of grandmorsoster or farmorsoster? Are all great-aunts automatically grandtante, whether it's by blood or marriage? Is there any distinction between the title of a great-aunt by blood, like Anne-Marie, and the great-uncle who is just her husband, Constantine? :ermm:

I don't know. That's just how it is. :) Perhaps there was a distinction in the old days but that has gone out of use, just like nieces and nephews are rarely called søstersøn = sister's son or brordatter = brother's daughter nowadays.
Great aunts/uncles are related by blood.

If you think that's detailed, you ain't seen anything yet. :p
Because there are also words for the new spouse of one or both of your divorced parents.
The words are papmor and papfar = roughly translated to stepmother and stepfather. But there is a huge difference.
Martin Jørgensen is papfar to Nikolai and Felix, because he is married to Alexandra but he has not adopted her boys.
Had he adopted Nikolai and Felix (for example if Joachim was dead) then he would be called their stedfar = stepdad.
Princess Marie is papmor to Nikolai and Felix, because she is married to Joachim but she has not adopted his two oldest sons
If she adopted Nikolai and Felix, she would be their stedmor = stepmom.

Do you need an aspirin? :p No, then read on....

Now, as you know Martin Jørgensen has a daughter, who he is not in touch with.
Should it for some strange reason be decided that she should live with Martin Jørgensen, then Nikolai and Felix would suddenly have a papsøster (which can roughly be translated to stepsister) on their hands. And Nikolai and Felix would each be a papbror (plural: papbrødre) to that daughter.
Only if and when Alexandra adopts Martin's daughter would she become a stedsøster (genuine stepsister) to Nikolai and Felix.

I think I'll leave it to FasterB to tell you about the distinction between cousins. :lol: Should you be interested....

Oh, Muhler, you are forgetting the new definition of a new spouse: Bonusmor/Bonusfar... Now explain that while I´ll deal with the cousin :w00t:

In danish we have a difference between a male and female cousin:
Fætter (sg.), Fætre (pl.) = Male cousin
Kusine (sg.)m, kusiner (pl.) = Female cousin

Nikolai, Felix and Christian are fætre
Isabella is kusine

See, it´s easy :)

I think I'll leave it to FasterB to tell you about the distinction between cousins. :lol: Should you be interested....

Thank you very much, Muhler. That was really interesting. Especially as I have read quite some scandinavian literature and had the impression that bloodlines and family ties play an important role in the Northern countries - probably as part of the Viking heritage? At least one tend to think that languages who have a lot of words for things that other languages only subsumize under few words show that there is a greater cultural need to be very clear about the topic in question. Maybe that even explains why the queen is said to have favoured non Danish marriages for her sons - in order to avoid the question of relations?

Oh, Muhler, you are forgetting the new definition of a new spouse: Bonusmor/Bonusfar... Now explain that while I´ll deal with the cousin :w00t:

In danish we have a difference between a male and female cousin:
Fætter (sg.), Fætre (pl.) = Male cousin
Kusine (sg.)m, kusiner (pl.) = Female cousin

Nikolai, Felix and Christian are fætre
Isabella is kusine

See, it´s easy :)

We have a similar distinction in (today quite old-fashioned) German:

Vetter oder Kusin = male cousin, (probably spoken quite similar to the Danish equivalent)
Base or Kusine = female cousin.

Today we tend to say Cousin and Cousine.

:lol: No problem. Bonusmor/far/bror/søster = Bonus mother/father/brother/sister is the same as papmor/far/bror/søster - just newer.
- I don't know which will survive in the long run.

Pap-xxx and bonus-xxx has been invented quite recently as a result of divorces being much more common now, than just 40 years ago.

I think the countless names for relatives is a result of Denmark being a country with a small population, which until fairly recently was predominantly rural. (Copenhagen anno 1800 had about 100.000 inhabitants, the town with the second largest number of inhabitans had less than 10.000).
People didn't move about as much, so my guess is that it was very important to keep track of your family relations, partly to avoid inbreeding but just as importantly to emphasise your social and family network, because in the countryside you relied on them.
In the the towns you relied on your guild as a social and economical network. Those who were not a member of a guild or association could end up in deep poverty very fast.

Those who were poor and living in the towns, well too bad....
Unless they were fortunate enough to be issued with a license to beg (tiggerbrev). Licensed and talented beggars could earn surprisingly well, so such a license was sought after.

Don't get me started! :lol: I could talk about this for two hours...

Perhaps I should write a blog about say Christian's family connections.

And Kataryn: German vetter and Danish fætter is pronounced the same way.

Thanks for the answers everyone - that's all very interesting. :flowers: I mean no disrespect to the language, but sometimes conversations like these make me feel sort of sorry for people like Mary and Marie who are expected to learn it fluently! :lol:

Thanks for the answers everyone - that's all very interesting. :flowers: I mean no disrespect to the language, but sometimes conversations like these make me feel sort of sorry for people like Mary and Marie who are expected to learn it fluently! :lol:

Your sympathy is very well founded! :)
(I've sometimes felt sorry for her, when someone has talked to her in dialect. Very friendly but without considering that she probably doesn't understand half of what is being said).

Not to mention the cultural differencies. Mary will also be queen of Greenland and the Faeroe Islands. So.... :whistling:

And Marie, she has said that her friends has told her that she speaks Danish with a Southern Jutlandic accent. :p
Genuine Southern Jutlandic dialect can be very difficult to understand even for someone like me who lives about 150-175 kilometres away.
But then when Mrs. Muhler choses to speak in her dialect, I end up tying my toungue into a know, if I try to sound like her. And we grew up less than 100 kilometres apart.

Last edited:
Prince Henrik and his grandson Prince Christian and Princess Mary reveal a portrait of Christian IV's son Duke Ulrich at Rosenborg Castle, Copenhagen:

PPE Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom