Danish Royal Family, Current Events 3: April 2010 - June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Henrik and Prince Christian look like they had fun. Why do I think these two get into all sorts of mischief behind closed doors at the palace? :ROFLMAO:

Is this Prince Christian's first official engagement? He has done a good job :)

Is this Prince Christian's first official engagement? He has done a good job :)

Yes and no.

He went with grandpapa Henrik and a nanny to open a new elephant house in Copenhagen Zoo, but he had no official role there, except getting all the attention. :p

He was listed on the CP calendar when he was a page boy at Victoria and Daniel's wedding, so that was an official appearnce of some sort I guess.

But this is the first time he is actually on the job as a royal. In this case unveiling a portrait from the early 1600's.

and here is a video from the event
Lilleprinsen på arbejde

Prince Henrik seemed to make it fun for Christian when it came to unveil the painting, in the video you can see P.Henrik with a huge smile. Nice to see Mary attending to watch her son.

And a few pictures from polfoto

http://www.imagebam.com/image/50c9b0107087188
http://www.imagebam.com/image/ef26a5107087190
http://www.imagebam.com/image/5bf220107087192
http://www.imagebam.com/image/fe6385107087194
http://www.imagebam.com/image/0e5a54107087196
http://www.imagebam.com/image/e67805107087197
http://www.imagebam.com/image/eae9c1107087198
http://www.imagebam.com/image/9c8a58107087199

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Iceflower and Dazzling :flowers:

Here is a clip from BT with a slightly misleading headline: Prins Henrik: Christian for tidligt på arbejde - BT TV - BT.dk

Here Prince Henrik is commenting on Christian's first day at work and the headline gives the impression that PH believe that it was too early for Christian to perform such a task. That is in fact not what PH said.
PH was asked whether Christian was looking forward to unveiling the portrait and PH replied that is was too early for him (Christian) as he is only five years old, of course meaning that Christian is too young to really comprehend what will happen and as such also too young to look forward to it.
PH added that it was not his idea to bring Christian along but that he (PH) was happy to tag along. :lol:

In the video posted by Dazzling some of the girls who performed (a menuet, I believe) was interviewed afterwards and they were fully aware that Christian was too young to fully appreciate their dancing. The youngts said giggling that it looked like Christian was bored.

ADDED: An additional gallery from Billed Bladet with Christian and Mary: http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige/ArticleFolder/2010/11/Prins%20Christians%20kaerlige%20oejeblik%20med%20mor.aspx

Last edited:
The unveiling of the portrait made the news here in Australia. He looked very cute and Prince Henrik looked very please with his grandson. But I haven't been able to find out what the unveiling was all about. Has this portrait been away having some restoration? Does anyone know?

The portrait is so special as it's a rare portrait of Christian IV’s and Queen Anna Cathrine's
youngest son, it now returned to the place where it was painted nearly 400 years ago - at
the Rosenborg Castle. In 2008 a student had found out that the painting was for sale at a
gallery in London, prior to that it had been in the hands of private collectors. The Rosenborg
Castle now was able to get it back. I've read that a few days ago in one of the articles about
it, but I don't think that article was posted here. Hope that helps, Tarlita :flowers:

I think it was a great idea to bring Christian to there, who ever had the idea , brillant, it will come natural for him later in live , if he start this so young, and may be it was not so bored, a new thing for him probably exited! and he looks very well beheave!

Thank You very much Iceflower, I love to know the history behind these things. I think it is great that Rosenborg castle was able to restore the painting to where it belongs. Wonder how it appeared in private hands in the first place. I bet there is a tale to tell about where it has been over the years. Anyway glad to see it back. I have toured many rooms of Rosenborg castle via the net and would love to visit one day. Of course Germany would definately be on my list as well as you have so many grand and beautiful buildings. We don't have much here. My ancestors were German so I'm very interested in all things Europe. Thanks again for your reply.

You're most welcome, Tarlita :flowers: I share your mentioned interests, we
seem to have a lot in common concerning these subject areas, that's also
why I've been interested in getting to know more about the portrait..
So, time for you to come over to an European tour! :)

It certainly is time, especially with the aussie dollar so strong against the euro at the moment. However family considerations keep me here. Meanwhile I rely on good pics and info from the net. I have studied the relationship between the Danish royals to all the German royal families including the defunct Grand Duchies such as Baden etc. Find it all very fascinating, as they were once all related in some way. Not always by blood but through marriage as well. The Romanovs are of particular interest to me also. And like the Windsors they were a predominately German family and having always taken a German wife or Husband.
I knew nothing about the Danish Royals until Mary married and then I looked into all the royal houses of Europe, from Queen Victoria and King Christian IX of Denmark down. But then had to go back several generations on many of these interesting people to get a clear picture of why they behaved the way they did. History certainly repeats itself in some cases and what happened many generations ago can affect things happening today.
I hope one day the Danish archives will be available to researchers for instance, as there are a great many secrets kept there. cheers

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #47, 2010.
Vild med farmand (*) - Crazy about daddy.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

The royal hunt at Grib Forest near Fredensborg Palace is the grandest of the year and as usual a number og dignitaries took part in the hunt, which was hosted by Prince Henrik.

While the men were hunting Queen Margrethe took charge of the ladies and organised an outing, which included an exhibition at Amalienborg Museum, another exhibition at Fredensborg Palace. Ending with a lunch at a minor palace called Badstuelottet.
- Those who are not interested in art and culture are in for a very long day! :p Queen Margrethe has been known to talk in length about subjects within art that really interest her and if she gets worked up!
Mary usually takes part in the outing but not this year. She and the children only showed up at the game parade in front of Fredensborg Palace.

And here Christian spotted his farmand and ran into his arms.

Altogether 57 deers where shot, one by Prince Henrik and four by Frederik. Frederik said: "It's been a good hunt" and PH exclaimed: "Yes, I'm proud of my son".

This royal hunt alwayds ends with a grand dinner in the evening. I.e. tuxedos and long dresses. Balletdancers and magicians provided the entertainment.

(*) As I have explained before, Danish children just call us "far = father". "Farmand" is one of the very few contemporary words that can be directly translated to daddy/dad. And mind you, farmand is used almost exclusively by adults when referring to a father, it is extremely rare that our children call us "farmand". And if they do, it's more to pull your leg.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #47, 2010.
Se hvad jeg har gjort - Look what I did.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

This was Christian's first official day on the job. He and grandpapa Henrik were to unveil a portrait together at Rosenborg Castle. (*)
The protait depicting the then four year old Duke Ulrik, son of King Christian IV. The portrait was painted in the early 1600's and was recently bought by the Augustinus Foundation in London for 1.7 million DKK and brought back to Denmark.

Apparantly Christian was a bit apprehensive about his first job, so Mary went with him and held his hand until it was time for the unveiling. Christian was observed by our reporter to be unusually silent and visibly nervous.

Time for the unveiling:
The manager of Rosenborg, Knud Liebgott said: "I count to three and you can only pull when I say three. - One - two - three". Christian and grandpapa pulled in each their string, Christian didn't quite manage the first time, but one more yank did the trick, the painting was unveiled. "Look what I did", said Christian and pointed at the portrait. (**)

Christian was fascinated by the playful dog in the painting but why on earth is the boy wearing a dress??? So Knud Liebgott had to explain: "Back then both boys and girls wore dresses. The boys only started to wear trousers when they were six years old".

Christian showed the painting to his mother and chatted away, until he spotted that refreshments were served, included fizzy drinks and chocolate...:eek: :champagne:

Mary said afterwards: "I think Christian did splendedly".

(*) Rosenborg Castle is where the crown jewels are stored, it's also where the serving guards battalion of the Royal Lifeguard is garrisoned.

(**) There is a nice pic of him in the magazine doing just that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Muhler.

Prince Christian was just so cute unveiling the painting, it was great that Princess Mary was there to support him. The photos of both of them are lovely. Prince Henrik appears to have a wonderful relationship with his granchildren and seems to really enjoys spending time with them.
It is great that the painting is now back in Denmark.

Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik and Crown Prince Frederik have taken part in
the Royal Danish Geographical Society's December meeting at the Department
of Geography and Geology of the University of Copenhagen yesterday, Dec.
7, 2010.

During the event a funny pic was taken: Prince Henrik adjusted Frederik's hair :)

** ppe gallery **

Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik and Crown Prince Frederik have taken part in
the Royal Danish Geographical Society's December meeting at the Department
of Geography and Geology of the University of Copenhagen yesterday, Dec.
7, 2010.

During the event a funny pic was taken: Prince Henrik adjusted Frederik's hair :)

** ppe gallery **

Pity the only pictures are of Henrik adjusting Frederik's hair as if he was a young boy :D but then we don't always get to see such pictures.

Thanks for posting them :flowers:

How sweet, still not old enough for a hair brush. :flowers:

I think it is a very cute photo, i just love it! and love in the air between them is awesame!

So kind of Prince Frederik to hold still and smile patiently, while his father is "correcting" him in a way .....but in a loving way, and Prince Frederik seems to enjoy his father´s caring gesture.

Looks like Henrik is inspecting how much grey Fred already has :D

That's endearing. :lol:

I've been checking but so far I haven't found out why papa Henrik did this.

Billed-Bladet - Se billederne: Prins Henrik ordner Frederiks frisure

A little gallery with the hair scene, between Frederik and papa Henrik.

The article says that Frederik was waiting to receive his parents outside the Institute of Geography and Geology. When Henrik got out of the car an unruly whisp of Frederik's hair seemed to catch his attention and he proceeded to correct that problem, to the mixed amusement and slight embarrassment of Frederik.

- Indeed as I interpret the pics, it would seem like Frederik would have preferred to get out of reach. :lol:

Billed-Bladet - Se billederne: Prins Henrik ordner Frederiks frisure

A little gallery with the hair scene, between Frederik and papa Henrik.

The article says that Frederik was waiting to receive his parents outside the Institute of Geography and Geology. When Henrik got out of the car an unruly whisp of Frederik's hair seemed to catch his attention and he proceeded to correct that problem, to the mixed amusement and slight embarrassment of Frederik.

- Indeed as I interpret the pics, it would seem like Frederik would have preferred to get out of reach. :lol:
I agree, Frederik's body language is quite clearly saying 'this is not appropriate'! However, perhaps all Denmark, together with Prince Henrik, is twiddling their thumbs waiting for the twins to be born, so that the Prince Consort may be forgiven for keeping his busy combing his son's hair!:lol:

I think it´s a loveable scene between a father and his son. It shows sooooo clearly that no matter how old you get you will always, in the eyes of your parents, be their child :wub: :wub: :wub:

Poor Frederik ;) The following gallery includes the special pics as well,
but also pics from inside, we haven't seen before:

** msndk: Henrik hjælper Frederik med håret **

Thank you, Iceflower :flowers:

That's what happens when you haven't got your wife around to keep you presentable - and protect you from embarrassing situations.
As a father, it's a comforting thought to know that in 30 years from now, I'll still be able to embarrass my son in public...:p
Prince Henrik has shown the way.

I notice that Frederik's arms - again - are long enough to reach his pockets. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom