Danish Royal Family, Current Events 3: April 2010 - June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
- I noticed in some of the clips that the casket was adorned with the Order of the Elephant and the Grand Cross of the Order of Dannebrog.
Yes, but only inside the church. The pillow with the orders were taken off of the casket before it drove away from Holmens.

Last edited:
:previous:Nice to see the two brothers at an event together

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #17, 2012.
Farvel til en kær ven - Goodbye to a dear friend.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

The entire DRF, minus Benedikte, attended the funeral of Mærsk McKinney Møller at Holmens Kirke = The Naval Church, where several events in the DRF have taken place.
The DRF were among others recieved by Mærsk McKinney Møller's three daughters, Leise Mærsk, Kirsten Mærsk and Ane Mærsk. One of them, can't remember who, will now take the rudder so to speak of the business.

It is no secret that the DRF are close to the Mærsk family and Joachim indeed cancelled an event in Aarhus on that same day to attend the funeral. He later explained: "It was deeply moving. I had to cancel the concert in Aarhus same evening. There I had to disappoint a protection (*) but I'm convinced there is an understanding for that. The death of Mr. Møller (**) goes before everything, so I could not attend the concert in time in the evening".

Mr. Møller was particularly fond of M&F, says the article. He certainly played an instrumental role at their wedding. When M&F left the church Frederik was noticably redeyed.
Even the otherwise composed QMII became visibly moved when she saw the casket.

(*) Something very rare. It's litterally mentioned in the press when Joachim for once cancel an event.

(**) Mr. Møller was one of the extremely few in DK who insisted on and was addressed with Mr. He was also among the extremely few outside the DRF who insisted on and was addressed with formal you. - He certainly had the power and money to have his way in that respect.

Last edited:
The DRF were among others recieved by Mærsk McKinney Møller's three daughters, Leise Mærsk, Kirsten Mærsk and Ane Mærsk. One of them, can't remember who, will now take the rudder so to speak of the business.
That will be Ane Mærsk Mc-Kinney Uggla :flowers:

Last edited:
I've been doing some reading up since the funeral - this gentleman certainly had a very full and fortunate life! One thing that's confused me, though, is the family's names. Is Maersk McKinney Moller the family surname? Or was Maersk a second given name? I'm further confused by the fact that I've seen his daughters' full names written as every possible combination of their given names, Maersk, McKinney and/or Moller, and their married names!

(Incidentally, one thing I've learned this week is that I've been mentally mispronouncing 'Maersk').

I've been doing some reading up since the funeral - this gentleman certainly had a very full and fortunate life! One thing that's confused me, though, is the family's names. Is Maersk McKinney Moller the family surname? Or was Maersk a second given name? I'm further confused by the fact that I've seen his daughters' full names written as every possible combination of their given names, Maersk, McKinney and/or Moller, and their married names!

(Incidentally, one thing I've learned this week is that I've been mentally mispronouncing 'Maersk').

His full name was Arnold Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller, Mærsk being a second given name or a middle name so to say. "Mærsk" was his grandfather's middle name. Also Mc-Kinney was his mother's maiden name. His daughters full names are Leise Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller, Kirsten Mærsk Mc-Kinney Olufsen (née Møller) and Ane Mærsk Mc-Kinney Uggla (née Møller).

And all this I've learned throughout the previous week :lol:

His full name was Arnold Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller, Mærsk being a second given name or a middle name so to say. "Mærsk" was his grandfather's middle name. Also Mc-Kinney was his mother's maiden name. His daughters full names are Leise Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller, Kirsten Mærsk Mc-Kinney Olufsen (née Møller) and Ane Mærsk Mc-Kinney Uggla (née Møller).

And all this I've learned throughout the previous week :lol:

Thanks! :)

For general information:

According to Billed Bladet #19, 2012.
The Regent Couple and M&F will attend the christening of Estelle in Sweden.

They will arrive shortly before the baptism and leave again around 17.00.

(So I guess DK will be ruled from Schackenborg for a few hours on that day. Presumably some of our Marie's relatives and friends may still be staying at Schackenborg at that time).

The Regent Couple and Princess Benedikte will attend the funeral of Count Carl Johan Bernadotte.

May 24, 2012 - The Royal Family will attend the Fest Concert with The Royal Life Guards Band of the Royal Theatre, Old Stage, at. 19.30.

Does this mean the whole royal family or just the royal couple? Usually the court announces who exactly will be attending but this time it seems unclear.

Ahemmmm you are drooling:whistling:

No, no, merely expressing my admiration for the way the fabric of her dress complements her figure.

Last edited:
do we know why Frederik, Joachim and Henrik are wearing the same tie?

Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary celebrated the 80-year anniversary
of the Royal Yacht Dannebrog with a lunch at the Dannebrog today, May 26, 2012. Not to forget: It's Frederik's 44th
birthday today, so there were two things to celebrate :)

** BB: Frederik til fødselsdagsfrokost med Mary ** translation **

Thanks Iceflower and Duke of M. :flowers:

Let's have a look at some of the pictures.

Kongefamiliens skib fylder rundt | www.b.dk
Pic #2 in the above series: Behind Dannebrog is the flagpole with official Flag of the Realm. It's located at Holmen = the naval yard and HQ.
Being the official flag of the nation, it's raised and lowered each day with full honours. (We are pretty obsessed with our flag here in dK).

Pic #3. The officer standing next to M&F is the captain of Dannebrog. As such he is also QMII's personal adjutant, hence the cord.
Frederik is kommandør = commodore, the rank just beneath rear admiral.
The captain, as far as I can tell is kommandørkaptajn = commander.

Pic #4: The first Dannebrog. Beautiful isn't she? Well, in reality there were problems keeping her clean, she was coal fuelled. Alas, she isn't preserved, but the royal flagship before then is, the Frigate Jylland. Jylland is now on permanent display in a picturesque town called Ebeltoft.

Pic #10: At the beginning of each sailing season the crown is placed at bow spit. The conscripts here are wearing fatigue.

Pic #11: The conscript mates here wear the white parade summer uniform. That uniform is elsewhere only worn by permission by the commanding officer. But as Dannebrog is the royal yacht, it's basically their service uniform.

Pic #12: Notice the longhaired sailor. Frederik IX absolutely hated longhaired conscripts. In his mind real sailors didn't have long hair!
In fact I know someone who was a conscript in 1971, shortly before Frederik IX died. He and other privates who had had a recent haircut were selected to an honour guard because Frederik IX came visiting. - For the rest it was normal service...

Pic #18: The flag got entangled in the mast, so someone had to...
The venerable old lady has more than 400.000 nautical miles under her keel.

Pic #19: The conscripts are here wearing the normal blue dress uniform. So no royals around.

Pic #31: Dannebrog went through a major renovation in 1980.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom