Crown Princess Mary, Current Events Part 14: May 2018 - September 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the paradox Mary along with other royal face.

That they living role-models and advocates for an environmentally sound lifestyle, while they at the same time are obliged to represent their countries abroad - often and with a certain style.
She can't after all cycle around Milan, nor can she hitchhike to Italy.

But we may see in the future that the DRF use their royal wagon and go by train, when visiting a neighboring country on very short visits. That has a lesser impact than flying. But there is still the problem that they bring a staff with them, so...

They also have to represent the DRF at home in a certain style, and even though DK is a small country going by bicycle is hardly an option.
It has to be both practical and in a certain style.

So the current petrol-guzzling cars may be replaced as soon as at all possible with electric luxury cars.
I don't think that'll be cheap though!

The DRF is sometimes criticized for using military planes and helicopters, but that's actually an sound use of these aircrafts. They have to fly in order to keep the pilots sharp, so hitching as many rides as possible is good economy.

Dannebrog had a major overhaul around 1980, where she was fitted with new engines. These are by no means environmentally friendly nor economic!
So new engines and a major overhaul every 45 years is not unrealistic IMO.
I know too little about ship engines and engineering to say whether she can be equipped with electric engines the next time, but that would be a logic step and something that will sell abroad.

So as private persons the royals can and do try and make a difference as individuals and families. But when on the job that's difficult.

Might anybody know if Mary might have flown on a commercial flight or a government plane for the trip to Italy?

Crown Princess Mary will visit Vilnius, Lithuania, on September 30 and October 1.

"The visit will mark the 100th anniversary of the diplomatic relations between the two countries, but also the 30th anniversary of Denmark’s recognition of Lithuania’s restored independence in 1991".

The Palace has released a preview of the visit's programme today:

** kongehuset: HRH The Crown Princess visits Lithuania **

Crown Princess Mary will visit Vilnius, Lithuania, on September 30 and October 1.

"The visit will mark the 100th anniversary of the diplomatic relations between the two countries, but also the 30th anniversary of Denmark’s recognition of Lithuania’s restored independence in 1991".

The Palace has released a preview of the visit's programme today:

** kongehuset: HRH The Crown Princess visits Lithuania **

Interesting to note the gradual "notch up" in the engagements that Mary is carrying out. This engagement is very much what one would a Queen Consort to carry out.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...-praesidenten-her-rejser-mary-naeste-gang-hen

Indeed. :previous:

BB writes that Mary was invited by the President of Lithuania. Perhaps a more general visit though?
Mary going alone makes it half a notch below an official visit. I'd say if Frederik went along as well, it would have been a fully fledged official visit.
A state visit would of course involve QMII.

This is so much a political visit!
Partly strengthening the bonds between nations, in particular emphasizing the independence of Lithuania, both now, in 1991 and back in 1918. It's no coincidence Mary is very much showing the flag. It sends a signal to a certain neighboring country that Lithuania has friends, without that signal being provocative.
Mary visiting Danish troops in Lithuania (the three Baltic countries have contingents of troops and planes from other NATO countries stationed there - as living shields) is only natural but at the same time it quietly emphasize the NATO presence - and that Lithuania's independence will be defended.

So Mary will no doubt be accompanied by a number of high ranking ministers.
It's IMO also a nod to the political trust she is enjoying, because it would perhaps be more normal to leave such a visit to Frederik. Someone less experienced than Mary could easily make an unfortunate mistake.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...-praesidenten-her-rejser-mary-naeste-gang-hen

Indeed. :previous:

BB writes that Mary was invited by the President of Lithuania. Perhaps a more general visit though?
Mary going alone makes it half a notch below an official visit. I'd say if Frederik went along as well, it would have been a fully fledged official visit.
A state visit would of course involve QMII.

I would be surprsied that the President of Lithuania specifically asked for the Cown Princess. It was probably a request for a royal visit, and Mary was chosen to go.

This is so much a political visit!

So Mary will no doubt be accompanied by a number of high ranking ministers.
It's IMO also a nod to the political trust she is enjoying, because it would perhaps be more normal to leave such a visit to Frederik. Someone less experienced than Mary could easily make an unfortunate mistake.

I could not agree more with you. The Queen, Fred and the government clearly place a high degree of trust in her, and are therefore entrusting her with the visit.

She looks wonderful and I'm sure has great memories of Switzerland.

Time to close this thread. The new one can be found here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom