Crown Princess Mary, Current Events Part 12: April 2015 - August 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany
2m4u89j.jpg

Welcome to Part 12 of the thread for Crown Princess Mary's current events!

You can find the old thread here:

** Crown Princess Mary, Current Events Part 11: August 2013 - April 2015 **

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

:flowers: Happy Posting! :flowers:

Nice pics, Iceflower :flowers:

#15 - He does have a thing about climbing fences, that boy!
#21 & 22 - There was a lot of muhing going on...
#24 - Some kiss Josephine got there! Judging from other photos, it was a bit yucky!

Today is Anzac Day. And while waiting for press coverage of Mary honoring that day at the military HQ in Copenhagen, Kastellet. (Mary knows the place very well as it is relatively close to Amalienborg and she is sometimes seen jogging there. Not to mention when she and the rest of the DRF honor Danish fallen there).
I thought I would give a brief background info on Gallipoli and why it is so important and I hope resident Australians and New Zealanders will forgive any mistakes I make. - Not to mention Britons, French, Indians and not least Turks who fought there as well.
In 1915 the war in France had come to a stalemate. The casualties were mounting, without any real gains and there were no real prospects of any progress.
At the same time the war in Russia was going badly. Russia was in desperate need of supplies not least weapons. Murmansk wasn't at that point the best choice as a port to bring in supplies, nor was Vladivostok. The Russian infrastructure simply wasn't efficient enough to transport huge amounts of supplies that long.

Churchill, who was Minister of the Navy at that time, then proposed to open a third front in Turkey. Preferably to knock Turkey out of the war, but also to ensure that supplies could be shipped through the Dardanelles and into the Black Sea and then on to Russia. A secondary aim was to divert German and Austrian resources from the Eastern and Western fronts to Turkey.

The first attempt was for a fleet to blast their way through the Dardanelles, because Turkey had forts in place there to protect the strait.
That didn't work. The Germans had send advisors to Turkey and under their guidance the forts had been reinforced, strengthened and better led. Combined with sea mines the French-British fleet suffered crippling casualties and had to withdraw.

Reluctantly it was then decided to send in an army to take the forts and eventually Constantinople and thus secure the Dardanelles on land.
Australian and New Zealand troops were among those especially selected for the job. Because Australians and New Zealanders were used to the climate and the distance to transport them was shorter and a lot safer, than from Britain. But also British and French troops were used, including troops from the various colonies.

In 1915 they waded ashore to establish the initial bridgehead at Gallipoli, that even today is a pretty godforsaken place. From here the offensive against the forts would be launched. They met with little and sometimes no resistance. And here the curse of inexperienced leadership set in. The front commanders didn't know what to do, and did nothing. In the meantime the very few Turkish forces in the area got time to reorganize a solid albeit thin defense. And here the father of modern Turkey, Kemal Atatürk, distinguished himself. He among others managed to hold the line until reinforcements arrived. And now no breakthrough was possible.
Just as on the Western Front soldiers were poured into Gallipoli for months without being able to accomplish much. Barbed wire and machine guns made movement next to impossible and not least decease took a horrific toll among the Allied troops in particular.

The Allies clinghed on to a very thin stretch of land along the bridgehead, constantly harassed by artillery fire, snipers and not least flies, with hardly any place at all being safe. Exposed to a blistering heat and at some point a freezing torrential rain where many drowned in their foxholes, the conditions were atrocious.
Eventually it was decided to pull out. And when the last bridgehead was evacuated it happened in the dead of night without casualties. In military terms an almost unheard feat!
Winston Churchill resigned as Minister and joined the fighting on the Western Front.

This was the first large war where Australia and New Zealand joined "the Mother-country" as nations and as practially all Australians and New Zealanders knew someone (or several!) who fought and/or died at Gallipoli that campaign become formative for the national characters of these two countries. For Briton and France, Gallipoli was more like "just another bloody campaign".
It also became the beginning of modern Turkey. By 1914 the Ottoman Empire was weak, in practically every way and also oldfashioned. Gallipoli was one if the campaigns that broke the Ottoman Empire and from the ashes rose Turkey. A modern secular Turkey with drive, led by Kemal Atatürk.

Anzac, for those who don't know, was an abbreviation for Australian New Zealand Army Corps. A term Australian and New Zealand forces have used with pride ever since.

Last edited:
Turkey and ANZAC relations

Thanks Muhler, you condense a dreadful time quite well. The Gallipoli campaign was not only a character moment for Australia and New Zealand, and a powerful step for the New Turkey, it also forged (thanks to a man of integrity) a lasting AnZAC tradition of sharing ANZAC day with the Turkish people. The Turkish people and armed forces are part of our commemorations of this battle, all because of Ataturk and his humanity...
Gallipoli - Memorial at Anzac Cove by Ataturk.
"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives…
You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours…
You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."
Ataturk, 1934
Powerful.

Thanks, Jantie. :flowers: Very well put indeed.

Here is the first pic of Mary at the ceremony: Kronprinsesse Mary deltog i smuk mindehøjtidelighed på Kastellet | Billed Bladet

ADDED: From Royalista: http://royalista.com/99179/mary-attends-moving-ceremony-on-anzac-day/
Same pic and basically the same article, but in English.

A video of Mary laying down a wreath: Video: Kronprinsesse Mary dybt bevæget ved 100 års højtidelighed | Billed Bladet

I see the Commonwealth was directly represented (adjutants cord) by a staff officer (red band in his cap). Can't tell what nation his is from though.

I suggest you keep an eye on this site today or perhaps tomorrow: http://www2.forsvaret.dk/Pages/forside.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
What was Denmark's involvement at Gallipolli? Is this a significant historical event for Denmark. If so, where were the Queen or the Crownprince?

What was Denmark's involvement at Gallipolli? Is this a significant historical event for Denmark. If so, where were the Queen or the Crownprince?

None, whatsoever.

Even though some 3.500-4.000 ethnic Danes were killed during WWI and an additional numbers of sailors perished as well Denmark was neutral during that war.

This is basically showing respect for the soldiers who fought and died at Gallipoli and who better to represent Denmark on this 100 anniversary, than a former Australian - Mary?

Unfortunately the coverage seems to be limited, partly because Gallipoli is virtually unknown to the average Dane but mainly because the headlines today are dominated by the quake in Nepal.

Thanks for the pics, Roskilde. :flowers:

What a great event, and Mary shows so much class. Im guessing that if Mary was not from Australia, the DRF wouldnt be there since Denmark was not involve.
Great showing from Mary

What a great event, and Mary shows so much class. Im guessing that if Mary was not from Australia, the DRF wouldnt be there since Denmark was not involve.
Great showing from Mary

Probably not. But I also think Mary would very much like to attend. She may be the Danish Crown Princess now, but I'm certain there is so much Australian left in her, that Anzac Day still means a lot to her, not least the 100th anniversary.

Thank you for your posts on this commemoration Muhler and Roskilde - very much appreciated.

Does anyone know please, whether Crown Princess Mary regularly attends Anzac Day ceremonies besides the big 100th commemoration this year?

:previous: Not that I know of. She might have gone to the Australian embassy but I can't recall that ever being mentioned.
Then PH AFAIK doesn't celebrate 14th July either, so...

You are welcome, Sun Lion. :)

Great showing from Mary

Denmark as a country no but some people of Danish descent undoubtedly. There were many people from Denmark who had migrated to both Australia and New Zealand and as good citizens of their new countries enlisted.

The mini-series ANZACs made in the 1980s has as two of its initial characters two Danish dairy farmers who are both killed on the first day - 25th April (so only in a few scenes). Yes this is fiction but with a lot of research so the idea that there were Danes there isn't impossible and I don't see a need to include two Danes for a few scenes unless there was substantial evidence that there were Danes. Basically all these two do is identify themselves as Danes and die on the day of the landing.

There were people from a number of different nations in the Aussie forces throughout the war - including Germans, Italians, Lebanese, French, Dutch (I have seen a number of their graves in France and Belgium with the Rising Sun badge) so why not Danes?

Denmark as a country no but some people of Danish descent undoubtedly. There were many people from Denmark who had migrated to both Australia and New Zealand and as good citizens of their new countries enlisted.

The mini-series ANZACs made in the 1980s has as two of its initial characters two Danish dairy farmers who are both killed on the first day - 25th April (so only in a few scenes). Yes this is fiction but with a lot of research so the idea that there were Danes there isn't impossible and I don't see a need to include two Danes for a few scenes unless there was substantial evidence that there were Danes. Basically all these two do is identify themselves as Danes and die on the day of the landing.

There were people from a number of different nations in the Aussie forces throughout the war - including Germans, Italians, Lebanese, French, Dutch (I have seen a number of their graves in France and Belgium with the Rising Sun badge) so why not Danes?

Probably.
Four great-great uncles and a great-great aunt of mine went to USA prior to WWI. At least one fought in the war and he was wounded on the Western Front. Some way to return to Europe!

There might even have been ethnic Turks (or Ottomans. IIRC Lebanon was part of the Ottoman Empire at the time) fighting with Anzac at Gallipoli.

Yes Lebanon was part of the Ottoman Empire.

I did a tour of the Western Front last year with a number of other History teachers from NSW and the guide we had made a point of showing us graves from the countries I listed as he likes to point that out when some of the non-British descent Australians argue that WWI/Anzac Day etc have no relevance to them. He didn't show us any Danish graves but that doesn't mean there weren't any in either the Australian or New Zealand forces - just that Brad didn't show us any.

:previous: Sadly people can be terribly narrow minded.
Australia (and New Zealand not to mention Turkey) wouldn't be what it is today, for better or worse, if it hadn't been for Gallipoli. That some people can claim it's irrelevant today is beyond me. - Find another country to live in then...

Hi Danish posters - is there a post from anyone about the interview CP Mary just did on your "Aftenshowet" TV show? Thanks.

Hi Danish posters - is there a post from anyone about the interview CP Mary just did on your "Aftenshowet" TV show? Thanks.

I believe Roskilde posted a link. :)

BB may have some on what she said this week, I hope so, because it's way easier (and a lot faster!) to translate from a text than from a video.

BB may have some on what she said this week, I hope so, because it's way easier (and a lot faster!) to translate from a text than from a video.

Thanks Muhler - I'll have another look for Roskilde's post.

Has Mary honoring Anzac Day been covered by the Australian press?

Oh, I'm afraid I haven't reached it (I have some busy days this week...)

But it was a good interview and I will soon translate a part I find quite nice.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm afraid I haven't reached it (I have some busy days this week...)

But it was a good interview and I will soon translate a part I find quite nice.

Thank you Roskilde - I would appreciate that when you are able to do it.

The little bit mentioned in the "Daily Mail/Mail Online" made it see a very personal interview, something very close to CP Mary the person versus CP Mary the publie figure.

Has Mary honoring Anzac Day been covered by the Australian press?

I didn't see anything Muhler.

The "Daily Mail/Mail Online" had a good report on it with very good photos - but that would have bypassed most Australians.

Nothing in my daily newspaper or on the TV news.

I didn't see anything on the breakfast shows either, and they cover every man and his cat, and their comings and goings, just to fill in their daily three/four hours of broadcasting, so thank you again for posting about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom