Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 8: March 2007 - March 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CP Mary looks amazing. love how handsome Fred looks in uniform. Marys coat is stunning and she looks so beautiful. I am such a huge fan of this gorgeous family. I am looking forward to the princesses big debut at her christening.

Mary has always looked tremendous. And what can you say about a man in uniform? They really are a beautiful family.

They truly are. What a great love story and fairy tale life!

How can she be thin only one month later the birth!!!! If I was like her I would have my second child...

I love all her outfits since the birth: the lavender top for leaving the hospital, the orange outfit for meeting the Swedes, the jeans and argyle (?) vest for watching Prince Henrik's car leave, the official portrait outfit (trousers and cardy) and the white coat dress for the Dannebrog and Frederik's birthday...

Oh, what i wouldn't do to have a personal chef, personal trainer/sister Jane, home gym, nanny, nice clothes to wear and motivate me, important outings to go on...No wonder I look so ordinary ;)

Xeara said:
Oh, what i wouldn't do to have a personal chef, personal trainer/sister Jane, home gym, nanny, nice clothes to wear and motivate me, important outings to go on...No wonder I look so ordinary ;)

Exactly, I'm not sure why everyone is so impressed with these royals and other celebrities when they get back to their pre-pregnancy weights so fast. They have advantages that others don't, so it is not all that impressive to me. But hey that's just me.

Aurora810 I don't disagree with you hugely - I certainly don't think we should canonise Mary because she looks so great and appears to be handling 2 young children so well. she does have a lot of help just to get out the door.

but . . . if I think every time I put a piece of chocolate into my mouth, read a magazine instead of going for a run and choose to eat dessert rather than refraining, I don't think the personal chef and personal trainer and all the rest would substitute for real self-discipline and hard work. I give her credit for that.

Maybe is just her body shape!Of course she has a lot of help but her body also helps her! Maybe she has a very good cooker that helps her to have a healthy low calorie diet!!

I think she looks great. Low calorie/low carb meals, personal chef and trainer, breast-feeding, whatever. She's bouncing back faster than a lot of other women and should be commended for it. Kudos Mary from a mother of three!

Originally Posted by Little_star
Looking good is easy when you have 27 servants who count among their duties, cooking, cleaning and looking after your children

My grandmother has six maids, a driver, and a cook --- she is wealthy yes, but not lazy --- and while always being spectacularly groomed, she did not leave the upbringing of her children to the maids! How do you know exactly what Mary is doing or not doing? Having a lot of servants doesn't mean that you spend all your time grooming yourself, it's just that your pursuits run in different veins than most people --- in Mary's case, PR, royal duties, and such.

What she has that most of us don't is the luxury of choosing what she wants to do with herself, and I don't doubt that caring for her children is one of the things she enjoys doing. And heaven's sake, what is wrong with being impeccably dressed and groomed? It's more a matter of personal choice and discipline than any lack of time --- I know rich women who are slobs and middle-class women who never look like a hair on their head could be out of place, yet are great mothers at the same time.

Sorry, but it sounds a little like sour grapes to me.

Odrade said:
Originally Posted by Little_star
Looking good is easy when you have 27 servants who count among their duties, cooking, cleaning and looking after your children

My grandmother has six maids, a driver, and a cook --- she is wealthy yes, but not lazy --- and while always being spectacularly groomed, she did not leave the upbringing of her children to the maids! How do you know exactly what Mary is doing or not doing? Having a lot of servants doesn't mean that you spend all your time grooming yourself, it's just that your pursuits run in different veins than most people --- in Mary's case, PR, royal duties, and such.
The "iceberg theory" regarding Royal duties, that what we see is only a fraction of what they are really doing is a convenient argument. However, you have no more idea than I do as to what Mary is doing in her spare time.

Moreover I have been exposed to servants from a very young age so am well aware of how people behave around them and how much people tend to do when they have home help.

So far as looking after her children is concerned Mary is reported to have 3 nannies. So one wonders when exactly she looks after them?

Odrade said:
What she has that most of us don't is the luxury of choosing what she wants to do with herself, and I don't doubt that caring for her children is one of the things she enjoys doing. And heaven's sake, what is wrong with being impeccably dressed and groomed?
Nothing. But let's not forget that Mary unlike the vast majority of women out there has people to cook, clean and look after her children for her. Most people don't have this luxury. If she wants to spend 3 hours a day in the gym she has the luxury to do so without worrying about who's looking after the baby or who is going to pay the bills.

If you want to praise her for looking good that's your business. I would prefer to shower praise on my friend who is a widow, mother of three and a full-tme working individual.She looks good and does everything herself.

Odrade said:
Sorry, but it sounds a little like sour grapes to me.
Sorry but that sounds like a very childish argument to me!

Sorry but if Mary is still breastfeeding she is not away from the baby for that long. I know what you are going to say, she can pump the milk! Well, yes she can but she still has to be doing that about every three to four hours. If you do not the milk will stop! She may have nannies, but that does not mean that she does not spend time with the children. I wish that I could spend time with the children but have someone change them!!!

Well, I will add this to the discussion. Many people have accused Mary of being too bothered with PR and making as much PR for herself as possible. Well, being in the PR field, I know a bit about the subject and would like to add to this.

Yes, she does probably seek PR. But that is her job. Her job is to be a modern face of the monarchy, to support her husband, and yes indeed to make a place for herself. That is the role that all Queens and consorts have played since the beginning of time. They are a support to the monarchy in general. Especially in this day in age when news travels round the world with the speed of light, it is of course going to seem like she gets more PR than other consorts, but that is a fact of life. The other consorts simply did not have the modern technologies at their disposal that this generation has.

So if she seeks the publicity, and the cameras, I think she does so as the part that she must play in keeping the public involved and approving of the monarchy. These days people want more information because they are accustomed to having more information. I do not think that Mary is a self serving self seeking person that she is made out to be in some places. as a woman, and as a mother, she would generally garner more pictures than her husband. But I think that she does not so much seek out the PR as the PR comes to her. And there is nothing wrong with that. When she gets publicity,the causes that she supports, as well as the monarchy get publicity. A win win situation if you ask me. And proving nothing more than that she does her job.

Little Star - If you were exposed to servants from a young age, then good for you. However, that would only give you insight into how you and those that you have personally interacted with behave around servants. You can not stereo type how others might behave around servants based upon your own actions. Furthermore, as Mary was not accustomed to servants from a young age, she might simply not be comfortable around them. As you state, we have no idea about Marys personal life, nor do we have any idea about what she thinks or feels. It is all speculation since we do not know her and only have photos to go on.

Empress,
Thank you so much for making a wonderful point of view from the PR perspective. I have never looked at it from that point of view and have never given a thought to Mary bringing PR to the Monarchy itself.
Thinking back on it now, I never even knew that Denmark had a Monarchy. For that matter, I never knew about Sweden and Norway either.
So in large, it is because of the "wives" that they have brought attention to these places. I'm sure that before these women became PR seeking princesses, very little was said about the Monarchy from these countries.
So yes, you are right. It is their job to bring attention to the Monarchy as well as the causes they choose to support.
(Now I also understand why Prss. Diana used the PR attention the way she did. But that is OT)
But thank you for making me see if from a different perspective I had never thought of!:flowers:

Many royal couples with children have nannies. Mary and Frederik are not the only one. Countess Alexandra also has/had 2 or 3 nannies. Having a nanny does not mean you neglect your children. A nanny also serves as a helping hand. For example, if she needs to breastfeed her newborn daughter the nanny can keep an eye on Prince Christian. So, yes, I agree having a nanny is a tremendous help, it does not mean you aren't doing your motherly duties. Royal parents have more social duties than the average person however, they also have a lot more help than the average person.

Last edited:
You know, I bet the nannies all have other jobs around the house, not just to watch the kids. They might help out in the kitchen, the laundry room...you know? But, just purely speculation! ;)

Definitely a good point Empress. IMO Mary does bring positive PR to the DRF and that makes the people of that country appreciate them more.

I agree with Empress to an extent, although I knew of Denmark's monarchy and its unique Queen well before Mary or Alexandra came on the scene.

I remember Mary came from a PR background before she met Frederik so being able to take something and presenting it well does seem to be a particular interest and gift of hers which is especially appropriate as a member of a figurehead monarchy. Her skills and interests seem to fit the requirements of her job perfectly. She's not a scholar or intellectual but I think those types of gifts would be wasted on someone of her position.

In fact, its my own personal opinion but I think Alexandra, a keen intellectual and former businesswoman, did not get enough satisfaction from the purely superficial role in the Danish monarchy that her position required. I would not be surprised to see her take on something more substantial in the future but such a substantial role is out of place for Mary who must remain uncontroversial and out of the realm of politics.

ysbel said:
I remember Mary came from a PR background before she met Frederik so being able to take something and presenting it well does seem to be a particular interest and gift of hers which is especially appropriate as a member of a figurehead monarchy. Her skills and interests seem to fit the requirements of her job perfectly. She's not a scholar or intellectual but I think those types of gifts would be wasted on someone of her position.

I read an article in Hello, where they quoted Mary as saying something like she considered her role as princess as a PR one (can´t find the exact quote)...and I have to say she is very good at PR and I admire the way she has brought so much attention to the many organisations she supports...but for me being a princess is more than just PR....and I don´t feel Mary has quite got the balance between princess and PR yet.

What is PR? I know it's probably obvious, but I can't figure it out.:flowers:

acdc1 said:
What is PR? I know it's probably obvious, but I can't figure it out.:flowers:

Public relations (PR) is the managing of outside communication of an organization to create and maintain a positive image. Public relations involves popularizing successes, downplaying failures, announcing changes, and many other activities.

ysbel said:
In fact, its my own personal opinion but I think Alexandra, a keen intellectual and former businesswoman, did not get enough satisfaction from the purely superficial role in the Danish monarchy that her position required. I would not be surprised to see her take on something more substantial in the future but such a substantial role is out of place for Mary who must remain uncontroversial and out of the realm of politics.
Alexandra is divorced since 2 years now. If that "keen intellectual" wanted to do something more substantial because she did not get "enough satisfaction from the purely superficial role in the Danish monarchy" why hasn't she done so in the meantime? Or at least given signals of that kind?

If she really was so dissatisfied with her work her marriage with Martin would have been the perfect time to make an end to it. Instead Alexandra obviously chose to continue as patron for several organizations (the more important and glamourous ones) and now does exactly the same things she did before. The only difference is she does them no longer in her capacity as a princess but as a Danish "celebrity" with a royal past - and of course she is working much less.

IMO Alexandra is certainly an intelligent woman but I don't see her as an intellectual one with a desire for more substance. In fact I think PR (thanks MissSaga for your definition) is the one thing Alexandra really really was/is good at and Mary could learn a thing or two from her (or perhaps better not. I am not so fond of PR when there seems to be such a deep gap between the promoted image and the actual facts :ROFLMAO:).

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda
Alexandra is divorced since 2 years now. If that "keen intellectual" wanted to do something more substantial because she did not get "enough satisfaction from the purely superficial role in the Danish monarchy" why hasn't she done so in the meantime? Or at least given signals of that kind?

If she really was so dissatisfied with her work her marriage with Martin would have been the perfect time to make an end to it. Instead Alexandra obviously chose to continue as patron for several organizations (the more important and glamourous ones) and now does exactly the same things she did before. The only difference is she does them no longer in her capacity as a princess but as a Danish "celebrity" with a royal past - and of course she is working much less.

IMO Alexandra is certainly an intelligent woman but I don't see her as an intellectual one with a desire for more substance. In fact I think PR (thanks MissSaga for your definition) is the one thing Alexandra really really was/is good at and Mary could learn a thing or two from her (or perhaps better not. I am not so fond of PR when there seems to be such a deep gap between the promoted image and the actual facts :ROFLMAO:).

Well said ricarda!:flowers: You are so right in what you say about Alexandra and her PR! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I just wanted to thank Empress for your post #185 - it was spot on.

I'd imagine if she stopped working altogether like you suggested she would be criticized for doing so, and if she continued to work like she had when she was a Danish princess she would've been accused of trying to steal the spotlight from the royal family. It is only your opinion that she chose to keep the more "glamorous" causes. Of course causes she felt were more important to her she would keep. She has a lot less money to work with now and less staff, so of course she would have to reduce the work that she does. It's funny you say in the same paragraph that Alexandra is "working less" but also say that if she didn't like her work she should end it. So, which do you want her to do? It seems like you are willing to criticize her for not working enough but at the same time criticize her for not leaving public life altogether.

I was not suggesting anything.
I was responding to a post and disagreeing with the poster's opinion.
The question was: Did Alexandra grow tired of her "superficial role" and is now looking for something "more substantial"?
And my opinion is: There is no evidence Alexandra grew tired of her role as patron and is looking for something "more substantial" now, if she had so then she would not have kept the more important patronages (I am not the one who says being a patron and promoting good causes is not substantial). In her post-princess days Alexandra does exactly the same things as in her princess-days (cutting ribbons, smiling, greeting people, giving speeches..).
Perhaps you should read comments in their context before quoting them and giving them a different meaning?

Actually I don't critizise Alexandra for not leaving public life because I think she will always be a public person in Denmark, no matter what she does.
But now you have mentioned it I do think that she is not working enough for the money she gets from the Danish taxpayers. Even if one considers all circumstances (less money, less staff, new life) the reduction of her workload has gone too far IMO, ~30 engagements in 2006 and ~8 engagements so far in 2007, and all that after the display of business around the time of her divorce - that certainly doesn't make a good impression on me.
But perhaps I am wrong and "intellectual" Alexandra is at home right now, working busily in her office, inventing something that will be "substantially" important for the world (or Denmark at least). :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Princess Mary coy on gold rose

A MYSTERY golden rose is among symbols chosen by Denmark's Crown Princess Mary for her personal coat of arms.
The Australian-born royal personally selected the floral emblem for her freshly unveiled personal insignia, but has declined to tell even the designer her reason - continues here

Thanks dazzling!

Nice design. I think it maybe a tribute to her mother like the article says and she wants to share that privately in her heart and thoughts. Kudos for not revealing every aspect of her life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom