Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 8: March 2007 - March 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i didn't think anything about it, it's a new years reception i'd expect champagne ;) we see royals toasting with wine all the time i'm not sure i get your point, i don't care if she's having a tipple or two and enjoying her own reception- i'm sure she is very discreet and would never get tipsy. it does look like a martini glass and not a champagne flute but who knows it could be a mocktail of some sort.

i'll have to put my two cents of critique, though. mary drinking what seems to be an alcoholic drink is a complete no-no from a protocol point of view. even if it isn't, it's extremely unwise to show herself holding a cocktail glass that looks like alcohol.

Looking at the pictures, this didn't even cross my mind. Can I ask why this is such a faux pas? As previously stated, it's a New Year reception; what's wrong with the fact that Mary may have had an alcoholic drink?
Anyway, I think it's lovely that this event occurs and all the patronages come together. I think that it shows the diverse range of causes Mary is involved with. Also, she looked lovely too!!:)

she looks great, the best dressed crown princess in Europe for sure.

I love this suit, I wish she would have worn these two pieces together as a suit to Christian's christening.

Amen! This is a lovely suit...why she didn't pair it up with the matching skirt for the christening, we'll never know!

:bang:

Because it would have looked much too formal/corporate, imo.

The skirt HRH wore to Prince Christian's christening is gorgeous (even though a summer skirt/dress) and suited the jacket most appropriately for such an occasion.

I think also that the skirt provided less constraint for Mary, and given she was either standing or sitting and needed to feel comfortable whilst holding her darling child, that the un matched, though flattering dress allowed her the liberty of comfort...;)

Drinking alcohol against protocol? I think not.

It seems that it was a cocktail reception and there is not a single court rule prohibiting the consumption of alcohol at formal events. This, quite simply, has nothing to do with protocol for if it did, cocktails (wine?) would not have been served.

I have seen countless photographs of Queen Elizabeth drinking alcohol at formal receptions held at Buckingham Palace. Would it then be fair to say Her Majesty is making a protocol boo boo?

Infact, the Queen offers her Christmas carollers a glass of mulled wine at Windsor every year. One would think that if protocol were to be ignored then that would certainly be a primary example.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think i read in royal (just royal, that i know of) protocol, it is not good to be photographed with an alcoholic drink in your hands or smoking, at least in an official activity (although extension to private - paparazzi - life is suggested). perhaps someone can clarify a bit better, but i think it's the rule. royals may offer alcoholic drinks (there is nothing wrong, of course, in offering wine at a reception) and even drink them, but try not to be pictured having one, as far as i know. while her majesty may have offered mulled wine, i doubt we have seen a picture of her at all with a drink in her hands.

If you search under Corbis photography under 'Royals drinking" there will be 6 pages of Royals including British, Belgium, Spanish, Monaco,etc with glasses of wine or alcoholic drinks in their hands during official functions.:rolleyes:

Corbis Photography
Corbis: photography, rights, motion.

These are some examples of HM Queen Elizabeth during official functions

http://img162.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=32326_42-16696238_122_840lo.jpg

http://img130.imagevenue.com/view.php?image=32332_42-16696229_122_551lo.jpg

http://img185.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=32335_0000361222-008_122_573lo.jpg

http://img11.imagevenue.com/view.php?image=32345_AADS001457_122_781lo.jpg

http://img231.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=32350_DWF15-454251_122_175lo.jpg

OH my god I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this !
Amazing, it looks gorgeous with a mathcing skirt. She's so awesome :flowers:

i doubt we have seen a picture of her at all with a drink in her hands.

To insinuate that none exist when I myself stated that I had seen them is rather insensitive, to be honest. As Harmony has pointed out, it is a well documented fact...:)

Last edited:
Mary looked perfect at the reception in the beautiful (christening) suit and diamond pin. I believe we first saw that pin on a black suit she wore to a memorial service for the tsunami victims of Indonisia. I like to think it was an heirloom gift from the Queen. I noted that Frederik's Lord Chamberlain attended, what do you image his role was at the reception?

Princess Mary looks so self-confident in these last pictures. I think after her marriage she was a bit too worried if she was doing everything perfectly well done. That's a normal reaction from her, of course. But now, I think she is totally ready for her role! She seems to enjoy every minute of her job close to the people.
I love her last outfits!

i think i read in royal (just royal, that i know of) protocol, it is not good to be photographed with an alcoholic drink in your hands or smoking, at least in an official activity (although extension to private - paparazzi - life is suggested). perhaps someone can clarify a bit better, but i think it's the rule. royals may offer alcoholic drinks (there is nothing wrong, of course, in offering wine at a reception) and even drink them, but try not to be pictured having one, as far as i know. while her majesty may have offered mulled wine, i doubt we have seen a picture of her at all with a drink in her hands.

I don't know if it is against the protocol... but I think it isn't. Even if it is, nobody would care I guess. The only problem would be if Mary was pregnant.

I don't know if it is against the protocol... but I think it isn't. Even if it is, nobody would care I guess. The only problem would be if Mary was pregnant.
You bet it isn't against protocol ;) If it was most of the royal houses could pack up a lot of their social events and just stay at home in their palaces :D

i would have thought it was a similar case as smoking, for example. both tobacco and alcohol are bad habits and legally accepted drugs, so i would have thought the same applies to drinking for royals.

Because it would have looked much too formal/corporate, imo.

The skirt HRH wore to Prince Christian's christening is gorgeous (even though a summer skirt/dress) and suited the jacket most appropriately for such an occasion.

I think also that the skirt provided less constraint for Mary, and given she was either standing or sitting and needed to feel comfortable whilst holding her darling child, that the un matched, though flattering dress allowed her the liberty of comfort...;)

Exactly!!! I think it would have looked too formal for such a festive, celebratory occasion as her firstborn's christening...also the flip skirt might have had more give in the waistband if Mary was feeling "fat", it was only three months after she gave birth (we all know she looked great but she may have FELT that way)...maybe she wasn't that comfortable or ready to be seen in that tight matching skirt...and trying to negotiate those steep slippery catherdal stairs on a windy winter's day holding a baby in a super tight skirt might not have been the best idea? And the skirt she wore to Christian's christening matched her silky floral hairpiece...

I think she made the right call on both counts...festive and vibrant for Christian and formal and restrained for her reception :)

I think it looked terrible bad if Mary wasn't drinking and maybe she was the first one to give the example! I think that was a fraternize new year's event so a bit less formal than others and she wanted to keep that way! Everyone is chating, talking and very relax.
She looks really lovely with that blue suti, it really suits her lovely!!

i would have thought it was a similar case as smoking, for example. both tobacco and alcohol are bad habits and legally accepted drugs, so i would have thought the same applies to drinking for royals.
No, the two are not comparable - not in Denmark at least. There is now a ban against smoking in public places but as long as a royal person does not gulp down 5 glasses in quick succession - and I don't think any working royal would do that today - toasting your guests at a New Year's reception with a glass of something must be the correct way. Banning a glass of wine would be stretching the political correctness way too far I think.

On TV4 sweden today 20.00 they have a show on princes and princesses. Mary Elizabeth will be interviewed in New York by swedish journalist Linda Nyberg about her export value as well as her role as style icon.
Marie Chantal will also be interviewed in her home in London. Martha Louise makes an appearance as well as the two Swedish princesses.

tv4.se - Linda: ''Carl Philip är otroligt skicklig''

Here is a short Clip
TV4 TV

The clip doesn't work for me. Can someone help please. Thanks in advance.

The bottom link is working, Antonieta. Try it again. If it doesn't work, it may be your computer that is not accepting the program or it could be something else.

:crown6:Hello People!...I would like to know which was the cause of Mary´s mother death...and When did she die???:ohmy:...And if Mary is having psycological problems besause of this. :neutral:Thanks a lot!!!:flowers:

According to the interview that mary gave to the magazine yes and no, she said she has fear and distress after the death of her mother. the spanish tv gave the report about it.

I believe she travelled after her mother's death in order to get away from the everyday life and cope with her loss.

she does indeed look extremely elegant and gives such a clean image. not sure if i prefer her hair like this though, but i do like a lot more this skirt than the one she wore at the christening with that same jacket. this combo looks so much nicer and cleaner! very marlene birger... can someone confirm?

i'll have to put my two cents of critique, though. mary drinking what seems to be an alcoholic drink is a complete no-no from a protocol point of view. even if it isn't, it's extremely unwise to show herself holding a cocktail glass that looks like alcohol.

I don't have a problem with Mary drinking alcohol here, if she was to get drunk and make a fool of herself then I'd have a problem with it.

Mary's mother died due to complications from a heart condition. Her death was sudden b/c they thought she was getting better. Her mother died when Mary was in her twenties and an adult. She was sad and upset when her mother died, they were close. She helped Fred through the death of his grandmother Queen Ingrid. She was just greiving as a person would when they lose someone close to them.

Hm, okay, so what's new with Mary? According to the royal calender on her website, she doesn't have many appointments this month.

She has a meeting with one of her Patronages on the 24 Jan.

Stella

Hm, okay, so what's new with Mary? According to the royal calender on her website, she doesn't have many appointments this month.

They often don't post all her visits until a week or two before she goes on them. And they don't post her private visits which we only know about if the patronage tells us on their webpages.

Thanks for the picture links. Did she give any speech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom