Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 5: September 2005 - May 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
purple_platinum said:
no, i'm not - not yet, cannot resist the temptation.
but, i do believe maybe it's considered ok to eat the kangaroo meat for some people, but, for a pre-royal wedding event, it's not a wise decision to eat a symbolic animal of the bride's country :( :eek:

i entirely agree with you purple platinum. i don't think it's respectful or fair towards mary's country. however, i don't think she complained, because in case she didn't want the guests to have kangaroo she would have said it and the menu would have been changed (really doubt, even it was a royal wedding, that the bride would tolerate something like that if she was completely against it), but... do we know for sure that kangaroo meat was the menu? was any official information released?

There is nothing abnormal when it comes to eating Kangaroo meat. It is a national symbol. But its just that a symbol. Because they are unique to australia(I think). They are not endangered and there is nothing ethical against eating it. The meat is good. Very lean but tasty.

yes, i agree, carlota.
i really don't want to start a discussion based on a rumour, and not yet confirmed news.

Sorry to those who found it bad form to eat Kangaroo at the wedding event, but I strongly disagree with you...

The kangaroo maybe the one of our national symbols (if not the most recognisable) but these macropods are actually quite the pest due to their large and ever growing numbers, resulting in the need to cull. Kangaroos are well known for their destruction on crops, gardens etc, so this is a course of action that needs to be taken.

It was HRH the Crown Prince's idea to in-corporate a Kangaroo dish, not the Crown Princesses.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating kangaroo meat, as a matter of fact I have Kangaroo steaks in my freezer. It is lovely meat.

At least the majority (discluding peoples on isolated property's) of culled roo's are used for their meat and are not left to rot and waste. That would be a shame.
"MII"

carlota said:
i think they are in danger of extinction

Although you recognise that this may not be so, I just want to make it clear that Kangaroo's are no where near extinct. Their numbers are much to great.

"MII"

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am vegetarian so I eat nothing that has a face (as Linda McCartney said) but I don;t get how anyone can be against them eating kangaroo but be ok for them to eat cow or pigs.

I am having pork for dinner sounds better than I am having pig.

Same with beef, that sounds better than cow.

Unless you do not eat meat I don;t think you can complain aout anyone eating kangaroo.

We don;t know if Mary even ate it, if so it was her choice.

EmmieLou said:
I don;t get how anyone can be against them eating kangaroo but be ok for them to eat cow or pigs.

I am having pork for dinner sounds better than I am having pig.

Same with beef, that sounds better than cow.

Unless you do not eat meat I don;t think you can complain aout anyone eating kangaroo.

We don;t know if Mary even ate it, if so it was her choice.

Well said EmmieLou ;)

"MII"

BTW those of you who eat occasionally venisson, might actually have been eating kangoroo (big scandal a while ago in Europe, cause roo was sold as venisson though it's much cheaper). But maybe some of those protesting are thinking too much of Skippy. It is actually very good meat, hence the cheat for the venisson.

As to calling your steak beef instead of cow, is purely historical. For some time the language at court in England was French. The french names for the cooked meat where taken over by people of lesser rank and education and modified to suit English, so that they could give themselves an air of superiority towards those who still called it cow and pig wen it was cooked on their plate. (at the German court French was also the spoken language- much later though then in England- and thus some French found it's way into the language, though Germans still call pig on their plates pig and cows cow/cattle)

Margrethe II said:
Although you recognise that this may not be so, I just want to make it clear that Kangaroos are no where near extinct. Their numbers are much to great. "MII"
Australians hear this emotive and inaccurate nonsense about "endangered" kangaroos regularly. For the record, there are millions and millions of kangaroos, and the population fluctuates depending on rainfall. Hunting or culling is in such relatively small numbers it has minimal effect on the national kangaroo population.

Princess Mary causes to controversy

Princess Mary of Denmark wants to make competition to queen Margrethe II with her own reception of New Year and in addition she generated misfortunes by a salad of kangaroo in the day of its wedding.
According to the press in Copenhagen, the wife of inheriting prince Frederik wishes "to implement a new tradition" the 5 of January. That day, the queen receives the representatives of the diplomatic body. Mary, of 33 years, wants, on the other hand, to offer a reception to representatives of beneficial organizations and the sector of the Danish fashion.

http://estadis.eluniversal.com.mx/estilos/46599.html

fanletizia said:
Princess Mary causes to controversy
Princess Mary of Denmark wants to make competition to queen Margrethe II with her own reception of New Year and in addition she generated misfortunes by a salad of kangaroo in the day of its wedding.
According to the press in Copenhagen, the wife of inheriting prince Frederik wishes "to implement a new tradition" the 5 of January. That day, the queen receives the representatives of the diplomatic body. Mary, of 33 years, wants, on the other hand, to offer a reception to representatives of beneficial organizations and the sector of the Danish fashion.
A couple of things here... the wedding was May 2004. Why is this kangaroo business being brought up now? And the two receptions: the Queen meets the Diplomatic Corps; the Crown Princess meets charity and fashion representatives. How is this competition, and why is it controversial? Sounds like a slow news day to me.

Warren said:
A couple of things here... the wedding was May 2004. Why is this kangaroo business being brought up now? And the two receptions: the Queen meets the Diplomatic Corps; the Crown Princess meets charity and fashion representatives. How is this competition, and why is it controversial? Sounds like a slow news day to me.

Couldn't agree more Warren!

"MII"

another article from copenhagen post : http://www.cphpost.dk/get/92951.html

Mary holds her own New Year's court

Crown Princess Mary is creating her own tradition in the royal household, holding her own court to celebrate the new yearCrown Princess Mary has decided to introduce a new tradition in the royal household, holding her own New Year's court, national broadcaster DR reported.
Representatives from the organisations under the crown princess's protection have been invited to attend the levee, including the Danish Refugee Council, the Children's Aid Day, the Heart Association, the Mental Health Association, and Copenhagen International Fashion Fair.

CP Mary will hold a New Year's court for her patronages on January 5th, the same day that QMII, Prince Henrik and CP Frederik hold a New Year's court for the military services, national organisations and their patronages! On January 5th, 2005 a similar New Year's court would have been held (cancelled because of the tsunami disaster) and CP Mary would not have attended that one either! So it is tradition that CP Mary does not attend the New Year's court for the military services etc...It makes sense that since the other senior members of the DRF were holding their New Year's court for the military, their patronages etc on that day...that Mary as the Crown Princess and one of the senior members of the DRF...would also hold a New Year's Court for her patronages! I do not see the competition here...just plain common sense! IMO, I see this event taking place with the approval of QMII (espcially since its being held on the same day)...it may have been that QMII invited Mary to have a reception for her patronages! QMII strikes me as the kind of person and Queen that would do such a thing! We have to remember that not only is Mary the Crown Princess (the first one since Queen Ingrid) but the future Queen Consort and mother of a future King of Denmark! I get the feeling that both Frederik and Mary, now that they have assured the succession with the birth of a male heir, are both being more prepared for their future roles as King and Queen of Denmark...we might even see CP Frederik taking on the role of regent more in the coming year! Remember, QMII has health problems and I'm sure that Prince Henrik may want to slow down a bit...so it makes sense to step up the preparations of the young Crownprincely couple and get them more involved in the offical duties of the RF. Kinda like King & Queen-in-waiting training!

Last edited:
A couple of questions:

gattica28 said:
CP Mary will hold a New Year's court for her patronages on January 5th, the same day that QMII, Prince Henrik and CP Frederik hold a New Year's court for the military services, national organisations and their patronages! On January 5th, 2005 a similar New Year's court would have been held (cancelled because of the tsunami disaster) and CP Mary would not have attended that one either! So it is tradition that CP Mary does not attend the New Year's court for the military services etc...

Why would Mary not have attended the one last year (had it been held)? As mentioned, Mary is the future Queen of Denmark and in the (far) future when Frederik is King, she would be expected to attend this event. So why not start attending them now? Why is it "tradition" that Mary not attend?

Did Ingrid attend this event as a Crown Princess?

gattica28 said:
It makes sense that since the other senior members of the DRF were holding their New Year's court for the military, their patronages etc on that day...that Mary as the Crown Princess and one of the senior members of the DRF...would also hold a New Year's Court for her patronages!

The Queen, Prince Henrik, and Frederik are no doubt patrons of non-military-related organizations -- are those organizations honoured at this event, too? If so, why coudln't Mary's organizations be incorporated/invited to this event, then too?

gattica28 said:
I do not see the competition here...just plain common sense! IMO, I see this event taking place with the approval of QMII (espcially since its being held on the same day)...it may have been that QMII invited Mary to have a reception for her patronages!

I don't think it's competition either, but as mentioned, merely a figment of the press' imagination. However, it could've been a non-issue and avoided altogether if Mary's reception to honour her patronages had been held the day after Queen Margrethe's.

Great questions Alexandria...hope our Danish posters can provide us with some answers!

First of all, Crown Princess Mary will attend all the other 3 traditional events around the New Year - the New Year's Cour and Dinner at Christian VII's Palace on 1 January, the New Year's Cour for the Danish Supreme Court and the garde regiments at Christian VII's Palace and the one for the Diplomatic Corps at Christiansborg Palace on 4 January

As for the New Year's Cour for the Defence, emergency services, national organisations and the three highest classes and the new separate Cour that Crown Princess Mary will host - I think we should all see this in a wider perspective.

When one reads what the Danish media says about this matter, it is about modernising the Royal House, creating a new and more modern tradition. While Crown Prince Fredrik will attend the "big cour" at Christiansborg Palace (as is expected of him as the Heir, and as he has attended it during previous years) which the Queen and the Prince Consort hosts, and which Mary could attend as the wife of the Crown Prince if she wished to do so, the Crown Princess will at the same time host her own Cour at Christian VII's Palace.

I think this is quite a clear signal - it's about creating her own role and at the same time bringing new times to the Royal House.

I'm sure the Queen and Prince Consort will keep their traditions intact throughout Margrethe's reign, but I think that in the future we might see some changes in some of these New Year traditions (and perhaps also modernising of others things around the Court). Time will tell.

Thanks for the information Grand Duchess! It's great as an outsider to get the real insight from a Danish perspective instead of relying on misinformation and gossip!

With regards to Mary holding her own Cour for her Patronages, there is no way the Queen would allow Mary to do so without her consent. I agree with others who say that the Queen has confidence in Mary to allow her to start a new tradition.

Season's greetings everyone,
Stellad

Mary blazes a trail

IN a break from Danish tradition, Princess Mary is hosting her own New Year's party.

The Crown Princess is holding her own court to celebrate the New Year, a custom usually reserved for her husband. But this year Princess Mary has sent out invitations to her own reception at the Palace, according to reports from Denmark's national broadcaster DR...............
http://www.themercury.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17674886%255E3462,00.html

Alexandria said:
A couple of questions:
Why would Mary not have attended the one last year (had it been held)? As mentioned, Mary is the future Queen of Denmark and in the (far) future when Frederik is King, she would be expected to attend this event. So why not start attending them now? Why is it "tradition" that Mary not attend?

The reason Mary didn't attend the cour last year was because the whole thing (all 3 cours) were cancelled because of the tsunamis in South-east Asia. They held a memorial service in stead.

Is it inappropriate or odd that Mary is hosting a New Year's eve party this year instead of Frederick? Or is it just a little something different that really isn't that big of a deal?

Thanks!

I'm all for Mary starting new traditions but I'd rather it not be one that disrupts an existing tradition that is very fine and grand. I wish Mary could have had her cours on another special day and leave New Year's Day for the Queen's reception.

I think if there were issues with the Crown Princess holding her own court, then HM the Queen would have made her feelings known. I am sure it has the full backing & support of the Queen.

"MII"

Last edited:
I'm sure you're right MII, I was just stating my own opinion. I'd rather see Mary start a new tradition that doesn't conflict with an existing one.

ysbel said:
I'm sure you're right MII, I was just stating my own opinion. I'd rather see Mary start a new tradition that doesn't conflict with an existing one.

Ysbel,

My post was not in response to your's, as I would have quoted you if that were the case....Like you, I was merely stating my own opinion on the subject ;)

"MII"

Margrethe II said:
Ysbel,

My post was not in response to your's, as I would have quoted you if that were the case....Like you, I was merely stating my own opinion on the subject ;)

"MII"

Margrethe 11

BTW, thankyou for responding to my question Re Tiara's.

I hope it is seen by Danes in General as a progressive move. I want Mary to continue to be thought of as the Danes own princess of hearts. Sorry bout the sugar, I am a loyal and devoted subject.

Jaques D.

Last edited:
Jaques Demolay said:
Margrethe 11

BTW, thankyou for responding to my question Re Tiara's.

I hope it is seen by Danes in General as a progressive move. I want Mary to continue to be thought of as the Danes own princess of hearts. Sorry bout the sugar, I am a loyal and devoted subject.

Jaques D.

"JD"

You're most welcome :)

I agree. I look upon HRH the Crown Princess as a Dane first & foremost, and an ex-Aussie second...they way it should be.

"MII"

Last edited:
Margrethe II said:
"JD"

You're most welcome :)

I agree. I look upon HRH the Crown Princess as a Dane first & foremost, and an ex-Aussie second...they way it should be.

"MII"

Margrethe 11

Thankyou. I must confess, that sometimes I get a little embarrassed when people call her "our own Aussie princess". If she had not have met Frederik, the majority of Aussies would not have cared a fig for her. She is only princess because she married the heir to the Danish Throne.
I am very happy that an Aussie married the Danish prince and will always follow her progress because of that, and I am happy that she is making good because as an Australian I would only want her to succeed. There is also the added bonus of Mary having a great personality, however, she is now a Dane.

As a Tasmanian, I am very proud of the fact that an Aussie could make a transition such as this and do it so competently.

It's the long way around to explain that I agree with you totally, that she is a Dane first.

Regards Jaques D.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom