Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 3: November 2004 - May 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She's just done one with Andrew Denton which I guess we'll see on the ABC just prior to her and Frederik's arrival in Australia.

The newspaper said that Denton got the honour becuase he was the first to ask.

As you must know by now, I must say that I liked Crown Princess Mary's Lady-in-Waiting, Countess Bernstorff-Gyldensteen, outfits on these engagements better... :) Very elegant! But Mary looked very nice too of course, she always (almost) does.

In terms of number of official engagements (although quality matters too, not only quantity :)) - I think Crown Princess Victoria comes after The Princess of Asturias. It feels as if we've been having this little discussions many times now, perhaps we should sometimes settle it with a count?.... :)

GrandDuchess said:
As you must know by now, I must say that I liked Crown Princess Mary's Lady-in-Waiting, Countess Bernstorff-Gyldensteen, outfits on these engagements better... :) Very elegant! But Mary looked very nice too of course, she always (almost) does.

In terms of number of official engagements (although quality matters too, not only quantity :)) - I think Crown Princess Victoria comes after The Princess of Asturias. It feels as if we've been having this little discussions many times now, perhaps we should sometimes settle it with a count?.... :)

I think the danish lady in waiting looks the way she should,
she does not try to outshine the crown princess

Mary opens up on royal life
By Ben English in Copenhagen
February 13, 2005

HER Royal Highness Crown Princess Mary, the Hobart girl who delighted two nations when she married into the world's oldest kingdom, is returning to Australia this month unsure of how her homeland will greet her.

Nine months after her fabled wedding to His Royal Highness Crown Prince Frederik, the future king of Denmark, Princess Mary has spoken for the first time of the daunting transition she has made from Australian commoner to European royal.

In the pair's only newspaper interview since their betrothal last May, in the lead-up to their state tour, Mary has revealed plans to build her own profile within the royal family.

She vowed to work hard to ensure she would "make a difference" on several fronts, including improving the lives of the mentally ill, raising awareness of skin cancer in Denmark and fighting heart disease. And she has taken steps to help the advancement of Denmark's fashion industry.

Mary, 33, said it was important that the monarchy remains relevant and connected to people.

She also wants to be a good and effective representative of Denmark. But she confessed to feeling nervous about the reception she will receive when she arrives with Crown Prince Frederik in Sydney.

"I'm very excited but there is also a slight trepidation because we can't really know how we're going to be received or what it will be like to be there," she told The Sunday Telegraph from the 250-year-old Royal Palace at Amalienborg, in the Danish capital of Copenhagen.

"The last time we were there we went around pretty much in freedom. This is a whole new trip, a lot of it is official engagements.

"But I'm extremely excited to go back to see family and friends and just be in Australia.

"I think the biggest area where I can make a difference is to bring attention to a topic, but also to act as a catalyst to create change."

In a candid interview, the princess confessed there were often moments she felt overwhelmed by her dramatic transformation from anonymous commoner to a royal forever in the public gaze.

Despite the public adulation and worldwide fame, she said she remained the same girl who met Frederik at a Sydney bar in September 2000.

"Yes, obviously my life has changed quite dramatically," she said. "I'm still very much the same person and very happy to be the way I am and with the person I'm with.

"And that's the greatest change - to be married.

"And when people ask, 'hasn't it just been too overwhelming?', I have to admit there have been times when I've thought: 'My goodness, what am I doing here wearing this tiara made for the coronation of Napoleon?'

"But then I get the love and support from Frederik and so we must continue.

"I think my personality is that I tend to take things as they come.

"I don't think too much about the fact I'll be queen one day.

"First I've got to be this.

"I'm the devil's advocate.

"I ask the tough questions (of Frederik). In that way I'm quite a detailed thinker. I think of the consequences of what you say or do."

Frederik concurred, adding with a laugh: "I agree with everything she says".
The Crown Prince said his wife had settled into her new post "magnificently" and had been embraced wholeheartedly by the Danish people.

Mary has had a busy introduction to royal life, including an extended official tour of Greenland and cities in Denmark on the royal yacht Dannebrog with Frederik before attending the Athens Olympics - where Mary admitted to some awkward moments of mixed allegiances.

The Crown Princess admitted she instinctively leapt to her feet to cheer Aussie athletes.

"It's hard when you've followed an athlete for many years to suddenly say: 'Oh, sorry, but I have to change my direction to someone wearing red and white'."

Much of the rest of the year was spent selecting the causes she will champion. One of those is the Danish Heart Association.

The princess's mother, Henrietta, died of heart disease in 1998.

"I don't have a problem with sharing my own personal experience if it can help other people," said the princess, who last month emotionally launched her support into research of the disease.

Oops - forgot to add the lovely photo that came with the article!

Attachments

• fred_mary.jpg
    fred_mary.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 835
Last edited by a moderator:
I like her a lot, she is really very inteligent and smart!!
And in the photo she is very slim and elegant.

Thanks, Princess Kersti

Princess Kersti said:
Oops - forgot to add the lovely photo that came with the article!

Wow, this got to be my absolute favourite photo of the couple - I simply love it :) Such a modern, relaxed couple - so obviously in love :eek:

Wonder if it is part of a series, and if we will get to see the rest of the photos :rolleyes:

Alexandria said:
Thanks for the picture Chatleen. This green suede jacket is the same one Mary wore at one of her pre-wedding festivities on the trip to City Hall in Copenhagen isn't it? She wore a matching suede skirt then, but I like it with the light green dress paired here.

Yes, I'm sure it is the same suede jacket, but to my knowledge Mary has never worn the jacket with a matching skirt.

I'm attaching a pic of Mary from the visit to Copenhagen Town Hall 12 May last year - courtesy: IBL (it is enlarged - I got it saved on my hard disc)

Attachments

• IBL 04.jpg
    IBL 04.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,865
This Ben English for sure has been selling his articles to the Australien media.

From Sunday Times - part one:

My wonderful life as Princess Mary
13feb05

On the eve of their Australian tour, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary reflect on a remarkable year that has transformed the Australian girl next door into a future queen. They gave this exclusive interview to Ben English of The Sunday Times.
PRINCESS Mary is excited but nervous about how Aussies will take to her on the upcoming tour.
"I'm very excited, but there is also a slight trepidation, but in a positive way because we can't really know how we're going to be received or what it will be like to be there," she said.
"Last time we were there we went around pretty much in freedom. This is a whole new trip; a lot of it is official engagements and so forth.
"But I'm extremely excited to go back to see family and friends and just be in Australia."
Her husband Frederik said he was looking forward to the tour as an official couple, although he conceded the trip will be far more formal than their last visit.
"Everything probably will be a bit sterner than we're used to, but it will be great to meet everyone as a married couple," he said. "So there are two exciting things converging. We're looking at it in a very, very positive way. We look forward to smile together in Australia."
The couple said they were surprised to receive dozens of letters from Australian admirers.
"I must say the level of interest in Australia has been so surprising," Mary said. "Also we receive a lot of letters from Australians, just to say `thank you for sharing such a beautiful occasion so openly and warmly with us'. Letters like that from Australia are so touching to receive. But I really don't think we'll have any idea of how our reception will be until we are in Australia."
Frederik revealed he'd also received fan mail from Down Under, but he was even more taken aback by the response of his own countrymen to his betrothal.
"I've got a lot of mail as well, but here the reception we received before the wedding was so out of this world for me – not in my wildest dreams could I imagine that Danes would get so excited," he said. "Danes are not normally like that. They were letting themselves go and we basically celebrated and rejoiced together. It's not normally like that here unfortunately, except when we win at soccer."
Mary would like to use the visit to strengthen ties between Denmark and Australia and highlight issues she is passionate about.
"I think in the position I'm in I can act as a catalyst to create connections and facilitate changes by bringing groups together," she said. "For example, I am going to work with the Danish Cancer Society, and during my trip to Australia I will also go and visit the Australian Cancer Research Institute and also participate in one of their charity balls.
"One of the growing areas of concern in Denmark is skin cancer. Obviously, Australia is a leader in this area, and I hope I can help establish a connection between Australia and Denmark in this regard."
Even before her wedding day, Mary spoke about wanting to help those suffering from mental illness. She told The Sunday Times she had seen the impact of mental illness and wanted to overcome ongoing prejudice.
"I have been in contact with some people who have suffered from mental illnesses in different forms," Mary said. "But it is a society issue that is growing and becoming more and more important for other people in society to know something about, to be aware of it, to get rid of the taboos that are associated with mental illness.
"It's only been in recent history that we've stopped treating people with mental illnesses inhumanely by tying them up and using treatments that we would call barbaric now.
"It's only a short time ago that people started to say `Actually we have to treat the mentally ill in another way'. It is an issue in society that has been overlooked, but is so big. If you think of all the illnesses and situations that stem from mental illness, it's possibly the largest killer in the world.
"And also there's people saying to those suffering depression: `Just pull yourself together'. People find the disease difficult to understand because it's not a visible thing.

Attachments

• The Sunday Times 02.jpg
    The Sunday Times 02.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
From Sunday Times - part two:

"I've read of a person with severe depression saying they would almost prefer to have an illness that is visible – to say, `I have cancer', to say, `I have AIDS' – because they are better understood, someone else can relate to it."
Mary is also promoting research into a heart disease, a move she acknowledges is inspired by her late mother.
"I'm the patron of the Danish Heart Association and they've just established a Crown Princess Mary's Heart Fund for valve-replacement research, which is what my mother suffered from, and I am on the board for the new fund. So that's obviously something that's very close to my heart. I don't have a problem with sharing my own personal experience."
Mary admits her wedding day was a day she – and many of her admirers – will never forget. But she only watched a video of her wedding day late last year while recovering from a gall bladder operation.
"That was quite interesting because it was a little bit hard to see that that was me," she said.
"It was surreal," said Frederik.
"I was just so happy," Mary said.
She described her extraordinary horse-drawn carriage ride through Copenhagen's streets, filled with cheering Danes.
"It was amazing. There was just people everywhere, on roofs, hanging out of windows, just . . . it was such a joy. There was so much joy and warmth and good wishes for us. It was quite spectacular, that carriage ride.
"I think I was very much in the moment the whole day during the wedding.
"But to have that effect on people, it was quite amazing. By just being happy yourself and enjoying the moment, people were able to take a little bit of that for themselves."
One of the behind-the-scenes highlights for the Crown Princess was watching her friends and family mix with Frederik's family and friends: ordinary Australians hob-nobbing with the cream of European royalty.
"I think all my friends – our friends now – who came from Australia just had the greatest time. There was this mixing of so many different cultures at our wedding as well which was just wonderful. There was even a rugby `test' between the Aussies and the French that they just set up for themselves.
"But it was like there were no barriers.
"It was just an open forum for everyone to have a great time."
Mary said she and Frederik meticulously planned the wedding to ensure they could enjoy moments of privacy in a ceremony witnessed by tens of millions.
"It was something that we talked about," Mary said. "We were worried that we would not be able to show our love for each other because of everything going on around us and all that focus – with cameras catching us at vulnerable moments.
"But then we just said let's just do what feels right to do."
Frederik has introduced Mary to his great passion of hunting, taking her on pre-dawn, below-freezing expeditions. But not everything went to plan.
"I was sitting there in the freezing cold, not allowed to say anything, I'm not allowed even to move to keep a little bit warm," laughed Mary. "And then by the end of it I'm getting irritated because I move too much."
"I was telling her she was scaring the animals," said Frederik.
But Mary respects the highly traditional Danish hunting scene.
"I mean it's done very traditionally and it's very important that those who go out hunting are damn good shots," she said. "There's not a person that will go out without having the appropriate licence and experience.
"After being out in the freezing morning you go to a very traditional lunch where it's schnapps and herring, which actually I don't really get into."
The couple often hunt for pheasants – "The most prestigious", said Frederik – but more recently have hunted deer. But Mary has reservations.
"Yes, red deer," Frederik said.
"Bambi!" cried his wife.
Australianisms still litter the royal couple's lifestyle. There is no Vegemite in the cupboard, but lots of Tim Tams.
"No, I never was a big fan of Vegemite," Mary said. "But we've got a lot of Tim Tams in the house."
Frederik said he was yet to master the art of sipping tea through a Tim Tam.
"I love them. But when I try to suck them through the hot drink it goes everywhere," he said.
Mary said they received a stone kangaroo for a wedding present.
"He's about a metre high and he sits out in our garden and pretty much every person who comes looks twice," she said.
"They think we now own a live kangaroo, so that's quite funny.
"We have a boxing kangaroo as well that was given to us by the Australian athletes when we were at the Olympic Games in Athens."
Mary said one of her mates in Sydney has promised to send her copies of Kath & Kim to keep her in touch with Aussie humour.
"I've also asked for The Comedy Company and those older comedy series. I can't wait to show Frederik some of those things," she said.
What of her transition from Mary Donaldson, Sydney real estate agent, to Her Royal Highness?
"It's so strange that you often don't think of it," she said.
"Obviously my life has changed quite dramatically, but I'm still very much the same person and very happy to be the way I am and with the person I'm with.
"And that's the greatest change – to be married. So when people ask `Oh hasn't it just been too overwhelming?', I would say of course there's been times where I've thought `My goodness, what am I doing here wearing this tiara made for the coronation of Napoleon?'.
"But then I get the love and support from Frederik and so we must continue.
"I tend to take things as they come. I don't think too much about the prospect of becoming queen.
"But I still wake up in the morning and think `Oh my God, I'm married'. That's as big a change as anything. And that's just marriage in the sense of anybody being married, not just because I'm married to the Crown Prince."
Nine months after her big day, she's still floating.
"We enjoy what we're doing, we have fun. When we are at official engagements like the opening of the new Opera House (in Copenhagen), I mean that was a wonderful thing to be a part of and we enjoyed it as a couple together. So when you are out on official duty you are not just there to sit and act officially, you actually enjoy it: You're out on a date."
At the Athens Olympics, the Crown Princess found herself cheering the Aussies and the Danes.
"It's hard when you've followed an athlete for many years to suddenly say, `Oh, sorry, but I have to change my direction to someone wearing red and white'," she said.

From The Mercury / The Sunday Tasmanian:

A journey of joy and happiness
By BEN ENGLISH
in Copenhagen
13feb05

ON the eve of their Australian tour, Their Royal Highnesses Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary reflect on a remarkable year.
In their exclusive interview with the Sunday Tasmanian and other News Limited papers, they share their thoughts on their fabled wedding, their first months as husband and wife and their future plans.
Mary and Frederik's official Australian tour begins in Sydney on February 27, moves to Canberra on March 8, and to Melbourne and Hobart on March 10.
The couple will holiday in Tasmania after their official duties wind up on March 11.
Mary and Frederik conceded their visit to Tasmania would be different to their last trip here, in January last year.
Back then, they strolled hand-in-hand in the gardens of the historic Salamanca precinct and lunched alfresco.
The laid-back couple soaked up the sunshine and surrounds without a worry in the world.
"Everything probably will be a bit sterner than we're used to but it will be great to meet everyone as a married couple," Frederik said.
"So there are two exciting things converging. We're looking at it in a very, very positive way. We look forward to smile together in Australia."
The couple said they were surprised to receive dozens of letters from Australian admirers.
"I must say the level of interest there seems to be in Australia has been so surprising," Mary said. "Of course, friends have given me updates.
"Also we receive a lot of letters from Australians, just to say thank you for sharing such a beautiful occasion so openly and warmly with us. Letters like that from Australia are so touching to receive. But I really don't think we'll have any idea of how our reception will be until we are in Australia."
Frederik revealed he had also received fan mail from Down Under but he was even more taken back by the response of his own countrymen to his betrothal.
"I've got a lot of mail as well but here the reception we received before the wedding was so out of this world for me -- not in my wildest dreams could I imagine that Danes would get so excited," he said.
"Danes are not normally like that. They were letting themselves go and we basically celebrated and rejoiced together.
"It's not normally like that here unfortunately, except when we win at soccer!"
After their popular sailing race in Copenhagen ahead of their wedding, Frederik and Mary are to have a rematch in Sydney. Once again, Mary, the victor in the first race, will receive a little help from Australian master sailor John Bertrand. Frederik says this time it's serious.
"Oh, yes, this is serious. John [Bertrand] has very kindly agreed to take up the challenge again on Sydney Harbour, which for me would be amazing. As a loser you can always ask for a rematch -- a second chance to save face."
A keen and accomplished sailor in his own right, Frederik is also part of the Danish crew competing in the world championship of FARR yachts (40-footers) beginning on March 1 in Sydney.
He is even contemplating competing in a Sydney-Hobart, which given the couple met in Sydney and that Mary was born in Hobart, has obvious resonance. But first he must convince his wife.
"I have already considered it and I still am," said the prince.
"But the right open-ocean training would be needed," said Mary.
"I mean that race is tough."
Mary would like to use the state visit to strengthen ties between Denmark and Australia and highlight issues she is passionate about.
"I think in the position I'm in I can act as a catalyst to create connections and facilitate changes by bringing groups together.
"For example, I am going to work with the Danish Cancer Society and during my trip to Australia I will also go and visit the Australian Cancer Research Institute and also participate in one of their charity balls.
"One of the growing areas of concern in Denmark is skin cancer. Obviously, Australia is a leader in this area and I hope I can help establish a connection between Australia and Denmark in this regard."
In Hobart, Mary and Frederik will attend the Save the Children annual fundraiser, the Chocolate Lovers Ball, at Wrest Point casino on March 11.

Attachments

• Sunday Tasmanian 01.jpg
    Sunday Tasmanian 01.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,866
Pictures from Herald Sun and Sunday Telegraph

Attachments

• Herald sun 01.jpg
    Herald sun 01.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,903
  • Sunday Telegraph 01.jpg
    Sunday Telegraph 01.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 779
  • Sunday Telegraph 02.jpg
    Sunday Telegraph 02.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 486
Thanks for posting the articles. They were great to read.

Chatleen said:
Yes, I'm sure it is the same suede jacket, but to my knowledge Mary has never worn the jacket with a matching skirt.

I'm attaching a pic of Mary from the visit to Copenhagen Town Hall 12 May last year - courtesy: IBL (it is enlarged - I got it saved on my hard disc)

Oops! I was mistaken Chatleen; I'm not sure what I was thinking of now! :confused: Thanks for posting the picture from the Town Hall.

And thanks for the additional new pictures of Frederik and Mary and the interview. :)

Thanks for posting those articles, Chatleen - they were all great to read! I guess we can expect loads of pictures from their trip to Australia! :)

i love the articles with Crown Princess Mary and Fred says life with the Palace that so neat!

Sara Boyce

FREDERIK AND MARY SWEEP MOST ROMANTIC COUPLE POLL

Despite Prince Charlesgallantly asking for the hand of his long-time partner Camilla Parker Bowles on bended knee, another royal twosome have eclipsed the Prince of Wales and his fiancée to top our special Valentine's Day poll for the Most Romantic Couple.

Hellomagazine.com readers voted overwhelmingly in favour of Crown Prince Frederik and his wife Mary Donaldson. The popular couple, despite facing stiff competition from a pool of glamorous couples, took a substantial lead early on and never looked back, ending up with more than 50 per cent of the ballot.

The runners-up were the recently engaged Jude Law and Sienna Miller in second place, followed closely by love birds Seal and Heidi Klum. Languishing in last place were Britney and Kevin, who didn't quite make it up to one per cent.

Frederik and Mary have been achieving star rating in our recent polls. Their May wedding last year was chosen by our readers as the royal highlight of 2004 in our End Of The Year poll, and you also voted the princess Most Elegant Woman of 2004.

The final rankings in the poll were:

Frederik and Mary – 50.1 per cent
Jude and Sienna – 8.5 per cent
Seal and Heidi – 8.1 per cent
Steffi and Andre – 7.2 per cent
Charles and Camilla – 6.8 per cent
Zara and Mike – 6.5 per cent
Hugh and Jemima – 5.5 per cent
Anna and Enrique – 1.9 per cent
J-Lo and Marc – 1.7 per cent
Sheryl and Lance – 1.5 per cent
Liz and Arun – 1 per cent
Britney and Kevin – 0.6 per cent

Attachments

• danes-dop1a.jpg
    danes-dop1a.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 695
Thanks for the article pdas. Mary's doing pretty good at the polls, although I must admit the Hello polls are not very scientific.

Mary is doing an amazing job and it shows! I was thrilled to see Her and Frederick sweep the Most Romantic Couple Poll. :) I believe Mary also got Most Attractive and Most Elegant recently as well. She has a lot of fans.

Donna B.

pdas1201 said:
More pics...

There are lots more pics of Mary at the Imagine Scandinavia website. Check it out, they captured each one of her facial expressions.

princess mary looks nice in those pictures, like her new hair colour,such as deep brown with deep mahony heighlits:)

The cover of Kig Ind has a picture showing Mary and Alexandra together at the Malene Birger Show held in Unicef's stock house in Copenhagen last friday.

Attachments

• 6711.jpg
    6711.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Could someone please translate what the cover of the magazine is saying. Thanks

Gattica28:)

Mandy said:
Thanks for the article pdas. Mary's doing pretty good at the polls, although I must admit the Hello polls are not very scientific.

Yes, especially when we get PMs and Emails telling us to vote for Mary...

Chatleen said:
The cover of Kig Ind has a picture showing Mary and Alexandra together at the Malene Birger Show held in Unicef's stock house in Copenhagen last friday.

are there any more photoes of the two princess inside the magazine? if you have time, could you please scan them...i would very much appreciate it~!:D

Dennism said:
Yes, especially when we get PMs and Emails telling us to vote for Mary...

Getting curious here, from who?

bigheadshirmp said:
are there any more photoes of the two princess inside the magazine? if you have time, could you please scan them...i would very much appreciate it~!:D

I usually - by principle - don't buy Kig Ind, but there is pictures in other magazines, I can scan. I have PM'ed a moderator here regarding some questions about posting scans, but still haven't received any answer. I'll see, what I can do :)

An article in Billed-Bladet to this pic from last Friday says that Mary and Alexandra showed up for Malene Birger's fashion show on Friday together - the first time they've been out in the official together without their spouses present. Apparently they seemed to enjoy each others company, talking and laughing - and chatting during the show. Like old friends. They came in the same car, and left together after being backstage.

Attachments

• 0000007alexmary.jpg
    0000007alexmary.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,743
Chatleen said:
Getting curious here, from who?

Well, it´s mostly from people from various Yahoo groups whose names will not be mentioned...Also on other boards. But I´m getting a little tired of the Hello polls. I tried to vote for Mary a lot of times for "Most Elegant of the Year" and she didn´t win despite being really close for a long time. Maybe at the end of this year, she will win by a landslide.

Dennism said:
Well, it´s mostly from people from various Yahoo groups whose names will not be mentioned...Also on other boards. But I´m getting a little tired of the Hello polls. I tried to vote for Mary a lot of times for "Most Elegant of the Year" and she didn´t win despite being really close for a long time. Maybe at the end of this year, she will win by a landslide.

Oh yes, she did win the poll on the most elegant woman - and she became nr. 3 in the poll on the most attractive :)

http://www.hellomagazine.com/specials/grandfinale2004results/index2.html

I meant the Attractive one then. She was so close for awhile but then she lost after all of my voting. Well, only once every 15 minutes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom