Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 2: April - November 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
from hellomagazine

Frederik and Mary Wind-up Ten Day Greenland Tour

Crown Prince Frederik and Princess Mary will soon be bidding farewell to Greenland, as their tour of the country draws to a close.

Before heading home the royal couple stopped off in the tiny town of Itilleq, where they were greeted by a group of toddlers. Mary's new husband looked on with a broad smile as his Australian princess chatted and played with the local children.

The pair's visit came at the end of a ten-day tour of the north-Atlantic nation, during which they took in no less than 12 towns. But it wasn't all seeing to official duties, because the couple found time to hit the slopes of Apussuit too. The royals also took advantage of their icy break by taking a spin on a snowmobile.

Although it is midsummer in Greenland, June is the peak time for skiing. Heading for the piste is all but impossible in winter, because the sun doesn't rise for three entire months, leaving the windswept nation in darkness.

The frosty island, which is located where the North Atlantic meets the Arctic Ocean, is a world away from Mary's native Tasmania. But she will no doubt have enjoyed the opportunity to watch the Aurora Borealis, which can bee seen in Greenland all year round.

During their visit she and Frederik also had the opportunity to share a "kaffemik" – the local version of coffee and cake. And they will be taking home some colourful Inuit outfits they were given as a wedding present.

Mary makes a furry friend during one of the royal couple's appearances
One of the highlights of the trip was a visit to a remote police station that uses dog sleds to patrol distant parts of the territory
The icy landscape couldn't be more different to Mary's homeland of Tasmania
At one point the royal couple enjoyed an afternoon of icy fun on a snowmobile
While the country is snow-covered for much of the year, June is the peak time for hitting the ski slopes
Frederik and Mary spent ten days taking in the country's spectacular culture and scenery
The couple also charmed locals by donning traditional Inuit garb

Originally posted by sky@Jul 3rd, 2004 - 10:43 am
In se og Hor Mary's Ex is inside. He just said that is a nice and smart, things like that. Here is his picture.  http://emagwebservice.backoffice.nu/pics/D_6747.jpg
Actually it is a bit funny, because the cover of 'Se & Hør' promises an "exclusive interview". I haven't read the article inside the magazine, but it seems like, they are only retelling, what was reported on the internet right after the wedding. The even use an australian paper as source, it seems :eek: :lol: :p

However, Se & Hør brings a much better picture of the guy :innocent: There must be something about Mary, if you look at the men in her life :woot:

i think it's this pic they're talking about....her chin is ALWAYS up...haha~

http://www.hellomagazine.com/travel/2004/0...anes-dop11a.jpg[/b][/quote]
I will confess that when I have a photo taken, I often tilt my chin up to a slightly higher position than usual. It helps to avoid photographic evidence of the dreaded double chin! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

i think it's this pic they're talking about....her chin is ALWAYS up...haha~

http://www.hellomagazine.com/travel/2004/0...anes-dop11a.jpg 

I don't see it has her chin always being up, but to me it looks like her head is tilted :unsure: in that pic, maybe that's it.

Right off the Greenland tour...

07/07 04 Kronprinsparret modtager deputation fra Det Kgl. Bibliotek og Statsbiblioteket i Chr. VIII's Palæ, kl. 10.00.

Mary has a very sharp chin, so it might just looks like she always has her chin up.

Chatleen  Posted: Jul 4th, 2004 - 1:42 pm

It is now possible to rent or buy Mary's former apartment at Langelinie in Copenhagen.

Either way the price is approx. 17.000 danish kroner á month (2.285 Euros) for the 132 square metres.
Chatleen, is that a reasonable rent for Copenhagen?
- how does it compare to Aalborg?

Originally posted by King Christian@Jul 4th, 2004 - 5:50 pm
Chatleen   Posted: Jul 4th, 2004 - 1:42 pm

It is now possible to rent or buy Mary's former apartment at Langelinie in Copenhagen.

Either way the price is approx. 17.000 danish kroner á month (2.285 Euros) for the 132 square metres.
Chatleen, is that a reasonable rent for Copenhagen?
- how does it compare to Aalborg?
Well, it is rather expensive, even in Copenhagen. The article in Ekstra Bladet says, that is the reason why the present owner, a kind of investment-company, wants to sell the apartments - they got problems finding tenants. Because of the interest being low, it is getting cheaper for people to own their home than to rent it.

However, Copenhagen in general is way overpriced, I would say. According to a study done by Mercer, Copenhagen is the 8th most expensive city to live in compared worldwide. Within the EU, only London is more expensive. Of course this study includes taxes, food-prices etc. Hey, I would much rather live in Rome or Paris ;)

The Mercer study

Aalborg is cheaper than Copenhagen, but apartments by the old habour, like Mary's in Copenhagen, are also quite expensive in Aalborg. I couldn't give you the exact rent - but I can tell you, it is way beyond my limit :lol:

Originally posted by hillary_nugent@May 1st, 2004 - 9:04 am
Hey everybody ^^

p.s. and oh yeah...it's not her fault she may not be a fast learner...she is not incredibly young to be able to pick up a foreign language at the click of a finger...*sighs...* oh well pretty or not she's definitely Queen of Aussies ^^
uhmmmm.... as I know so far that Alexandra was about the same age of Mary's when she joined the royal family and learned Danish language for the first time...according to the Copenhagen Post that she pick up the language just six month dan 200 hours of classroom instruction
"...........The Danish people were immediately fascinated with the exotic, petite woman in the towering heels and Chanel suit with silk gardenia on the lapel (the look quickly became a fashion trend). She was hailed as a woman of the world, bringing a little international colour into the staid royal house. And her quick linguistic acumen didn't hurt matters, either--Danes were duly impressed with her ability to carry on a conversation after just six months and 200 hours of classroom instruction......." http://www.cphpost.dk/get/79625.html
now she said to speaks eloquence in Danish and as what I read somewhere (I don't remember the source exactly) even better than average Danes.
You are right it is more difficult for adult to learn well a new language, specialy the dificult one such as Danish. Hopefuly Mary's skill in Danish will improve well soonest caused her new duty realy need this. :flower:

I must say when I read posts about Mary I am surprised how people do go to extremes with her: she's either perfect or bossy, grasping, lazy, her Danish is terrible, etc. Goodness. The poor girl. I'm not a big fan of Mary, but sometimes I think people do exagerate. She's neither a saint nor the devil, so to speak.

As for the chin in the air bit--she also sucks in her checks sometimes--I think both are no more then a sign that she is clearly not yet 100% at ease in front of the camera. Because those shots are when she's looking right at the camera, or knows the camera is right there, but when she is caught in more spontaneous moments you don't see the same thing. And if she's not 100% self-confident, that's nothing to fault the girl for.

She's a pretty girl, who tends to dress nicely and seems to be making an honest effort to learn her new role and do it well. What more could one ask at this point?

Your post is very much appreciated lucys. :flower: It's a pity that there are some individuals who find it necessary to go to the extremes in being negative towards Mary.

Originally posted by lucys@Jul 19th, 2004 - 10:31 am
As for the chin in the air bit--she also sucks in her checks sometimes--I think both are no more then a sign that she is clearly not yet 100% at ease in front of the camera. Because those shots are when she's looking right at the camera, or knows the camera is right there, but when she is caught in more spontaneous moments you don't see the same thing. And if she's not 100% self-confident, that's nothing to fault the girl for.

She's a pretty girl, who tends to dress nicely and seems to be making an honest effort to learn her new role and do it well. What more could one ask at this point?
Her chin is pointed and that isn't a problem for me. I think that Mary has very nice bone structure. I also don't think that she is actually sucking her cheeks in. Her cheeks have really started to fold in that way when she began losing so much weight. When she has a regular expression on her face and isn't smiling that is usually the way her cheeks look. When Mary was about ten/fifteen pounds heavier her cheeks were fuller and didn't quite look that way. I don't think that she is doing this on purpose.

As far as skin goes...well, Mary is in her thirties and grew up spending a lot of time in the sun. A few wrinkles here and there, especially around the eyes is normal. Mary and the other Princesses can harldy be compared to each other in this area. They all have different genes and different pastimes and beauty routines. None of them is going to age the same as the other. Princess Alexandra is of Asian heritage and it has become fairly well-known that Asian people tend to age at a lesser rate than their Caucasian counterparts. The same is said for those of African decent. Wome of African descent tend to have fewer wrinkles and some don't even develop them regardless of the enviroment until their fifties because of the amount of melanin in their skin. Apparently darker skin ages at a slower pace.

It just seems hard to compare people on that basis.

And I disagree :p :p

She has excellent posture and bearing!!!

She might not think she's a queen, but if people criticise her because she gives the impression that she thinks she's a queen already, well that's another way of saying "wow, Mary already looks like a queen!" :lol: :lol:

And of course, Mary can't help it if she already looks like a queen to some people :lol: !!

I agree with you Carlota. Marry has her chin always up high thinking she is above all people. I realized this since her wedding, while walking out of the church, she had her chin up reall high, while Fred who is already the crown princes was acting so normal. I think she thinks she is already a queen.

Originally posted by Guess Who@Jul 22nd, 2004 - 7:51 am
while walking out of the church, she had her chin up reall high, while Fred who is already the crown princes was acting so normal.
goog point!

Originally posted by Jasl@Jul 20th, 2004 - 12:12 am
And I disagree :p :p

She has excellent posture and bearing!!!

She might not think she's a queen, but if people criticise her because she gives the impression that she thinks she's a queen already, well that's another way of saying "wow, Mary already looks like a queen!" :lol: :lol:

And of course, Mary can't help it if she already looks like a queen to some people :lol: !!
Maybe..but i totally agree with others...she always has her chin up (HIGHHHHH)more that normal which means she does not have an excellent posture and bearing :wacko: :doh:

while walking out of the church, she had her chin up reall high, while Fred who is already the crown prince was acting so normal. I think she thinks she is already a queen.

Consider this: On her wedding day, Mary had her hair piled on top of her head, and she wore a tiara and long veil. How much did all of that weigh? It must have felt somewhat awkward. Couple that with being nervous, trying not to trip and having to smile for the cameras at the same time.......I give Mary credit for getting through the day with grace.

As for other "chin up" pictures, the answer may simply be that she had been instructed to keep her head up and smile. Mary's pictures are surely much more attractive than the early pictures of Princess Diana with her shy downcast glances. :flower:

Originally posted by kirstengrafin@Jul 22nd, 2004 - 9:24 am
As for other "chin up" pictures, the answer may simply be that she had been instructed to keep her head up and smile.  Mary's pictures are surely much more attractive than the early pictures of Princess Diana with her shy downcast glances. :flower:
Are you serious? I'm not one of those that think Princess Diana could do no wrong, far from it, but please, it was precisely that shy downcast glance that captivated the world.

Are you serious? I'm not one of those that think Princess Diana could do no wrong, far from it, but please, it was precisely that shy downcast glance that captivated the world.

I found myself captivated by Princess Diana when she found her own sense of style and had the confidence to look directly at the camera. Strictly my own opinion. :flower:

Originally posted by kirstengrafin@Jul 22nd, 2004 - 11:16 am

I found myself captivated by Princess Diana when she found her own sense of style and had the confidence to look directly at the camera. Strictly my own opinion. :flower:
I liked her better than too--I was merely trying to observe that the world in general was attracted to the fairy tale nature of the beautiful, young, shy, virginal bride--and that glance symbolized that most of all. None of the current crop of "cinderelas" fits that fairy tale cliche. Thank goodness, I might add!

But this is a Mary thread, so enough on the late Princess Diana.

DOn't forget, however she has been groomed and been taking deportment lessons, etc etc and she'd have learnt to walk and talk very differently to how she would've when she was an ordinary citizen. If she put her chin just a tad down I'll bet there would be people complaining about it too. She can't win can she?!

Originally posted by ews@Jul 22nd, 2004 - 4:30 pm
DOn't forget, however she has been groomed and been taking deportment lessons, etc etc and she'd have learnt to walk and talk very differently to how she would've when she was an ordinary citizen. If she put her chin just a tad down I'll bet there would be people complaining about it too. She can't win can she?!
well...there is chin up and chin uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup...
it is too obvious how high she puts her chin up....just have a look at the other princessess

For the number of pictures where she has her chin up, there are many many more pictures where she has her chin down (the girl can't help it... there's soooo many pictures of her compared to some of the other princesses).

Actually, I don't think its really that Mary has her chin up that's the problem, but that Mary's bearing is very striking and people wish she wasn't (as striking as she is I mean). The image of a poised Mary sticks in people's heads, and they wish it didn't. So they complain about the image that is in their heads - that of Mary looking poised and regal. :lol:

Ok, now I've seen the picture that was put forward as a representative of all the pictures where Mary has her chin up, and you know what, her chin's not even up in the picture!!!! Picture

As you can clearly see, her chin is merely perpendicular to her neck - and she's waving, so this really cannot be a "she always has her chin up" pic. I mean look here, this is how Letizia carries herself during official functions: Picture 2 , Picture 3 and during her down-time Picture 4, which is very good, but the point being that Mary doesn't do it any worse. They both have their chins perpendicular to their neck. So why Mary? The only thing I can think of is that Mary looks striking and those who are not her fans wish she wasn't as striking.

For example, for some people this might qualify as a "chin up picture" Picture 5 , but if you look at it, her chin is not angled more than 90 degree to the ground. It is not therefore a "chin uuuppp" photo. She does howver look poised, and this offends some people.

LOL! Ok this is not, of course, a normal photo, but this is what "chin up" looks like :lol: :lol: Picture 6 . Sooo cute!

With all due respect to all opinions and all posters--isn't this chin thing getting a bit silly? And why must someone always be comparing her to another princess-be it Diana or Maxima or Letizia or whomever--can't she just be let to stand on her own and be who she is?

*sigh*.... hear hear. I find it difficult to understand the need to comment on people who apparently is of no interest to that person. I mean if there's no interest (if that public person is so bland) then why the continuous comment?

I would rather comment on a princess I care about than comment on someone I care nothing for (though again that's not possible, because to comment is shows that you are interested in that person). I mean, I don't go posting about Camilla do I? Because I don't really care much about her.

I know of a board where endless comparisons aren't made. It can be done, and I think it ought to be done, because at the end, these public figures are all different (different situations, they have different plans which we for the most part aren't privy to) and IMO the comparisons serve no real purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom