Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 2: April - November 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Chatleen, she told me that! :D

i have read today Mary was stopped by some policemen driving at 140 km/h in a highway you can only go at 90. she was going in her saab cabrio and asked the policemen not to make it public, however they did. they didn't took her license, though.

It was first reported in Se og Hør, not the most credible source, however there has been written before that she drives too fast, before she got married and lived in Copenhagen. Would not be supprised if she did, she would be joining the royal danish speeding club which consists of Queen Ingrid, Frederik, Joachim, Alexandra, Princess Benedikte and Prince Henrik. She will never loose her lisence as long as she is a CP, she is immune, as is the rest of the royal family.

Prince Richard (Benediktes husband) recently said in an interwiev that the Royal family should be more careful when driving and that her refuses to drive with some of them, (Im guessing Mary is now included with those he does not drive with:p )

Regina said:
For Marie Louise: nobody hear is saying that Mary and Fred don't work hard!
But this is NOT a simple interview... She is posing just to promote herself and the not danish dresses. You don't see Mathilde or Letizia doing this.

I agree with Xandra: We can say that the photos are great, the dresses are perfect, etc. but this Vogue shoot doesn' benefit in ANYTHING the kingdom of Denmark, imo.

She seems arrogant and superficial, and she is more interest in fame and glory than in work for Denmark.

i agree with u and Xandra....she's a CP for Denmark and she should do something more beneficial for the country that she belongs to NOW...not the country she came from...

i would say that wearing those designer clothes and posing for a magazine seems to me that she wants to be a model rather than a crown princess ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Queen Ingrid had this "fast driving" gene from her family and gave it to the Danes ;)

Regina said:
Yes, Chatleen, she told me that! :D
somehow i dont believe that shes very personal and she was always with fredrick from the beginning

bigheadshirmp said:
i would say that wearing those designer clothes and posing for a magazine seems to me that she wants to be a model rather than a crown princess ...
Would you say the same for to all the royals that posed for Vanity Fair?

Last edited:
I agree with bigheadshirmp:
I understand that Mary could pose, if she was a actress/dancer/singer/ soccer wife (like someone said and was very well said).
I don't care if she poses to Vogue, or Vanity Fair, or to Elle. The point is that Mary is still a begginner in this role so she should focus in learn more about Denmark and be concentrated in more important things than try to be known as "The top model princess".
Giving an example, I think she should start to learn that the maxim speed in some roads of Denmark is 90 km/h and not 140 km/h...

But of course I agree that the dresses, specially the black one is beautiful, imo!

Thank you.

Regina said:
I agree with bigheadshirmp:
I understand that Mary could pose, if she was a actress/dancer/singer/ soccer wife (like someone said and was very well said).
I don't care if she poses to Vogue, or Vanity Fair, or to Elle. The point is that Mary is still a begginner in this role so she should focus in learn more about Denmark and be concentrated in more important things than try to be known as "The top model princess".
Giving an example, I think she should start to learn that the maxim speed in some roads of Denmark is 90 km/h and not 140 km/h...

But of course I agree that the dresses, specially the black one is beautiful, imo!

Thank you.
So, Regina is it okay for another CP to pose for a magazine? Is it okay for Mette-Marit or Maxiama to pose for a magazine as they did for a 2003 issue of Vanity Fair? See their pictures below.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52595
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52596
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52597
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52598

Then, in all fairness, your actress/dancer/singer/ soccer wife edict should also apply to Mette-Marit and Maxima. It should apply to all the the princes and princesses who posed for that issue of Vanity Fair! Should it not?

Mandy, in those pictures they appear with their husbands, we see The Couple together. In Mary's photos we just see her and Fred once.
When Maxima and Mette-Marit did this shoots they were Princesses for 1/1 half year long, and Mary is just princess for 7 months.
Princes William and Harry do this kind of shoots too but the people already know them, they have nothing to proof with this.
Mary Donaldson said in the interview: "I don't really feel I've done so much. All I've done is say yes and love the person that I love." As you see, she is the first in admit that she already has a lot to learn, so first she must study her new country and work hard and then she can pose in Australian Vogue...
Thank you.

For goodness sake! I don't see the big deal. We all seem to overlook the fact that she most likely had the consent of the Queen.

The Vanity Fair is similar in some way, and not in others, they all posed for famous photographers, some in borrowed clothes, other in their own. Non of them gave an interview

And there were alot of royals, most of them with only one picture each.
Victoria, Madeleine, Carl Philip, Charles, William (and he was the coverboy) Harry, Felipe, Albert, Mc and Pavlos, Nikolaos, Frederik, Joachim and Alexandra all had just one photo, for some reason there was two of WA and Maxima one on the indexpage, and 3 of Haakon and MM one on the indexpage. Also there was a large family tree and an article written by Prince Michael I think...

To me that series came of more like a "theese are the young royals of Europe" with some basic facts about them, Vanity Fair is an american magazine and I doubt they heared about most of them.

Maybe it a little unfair and with a little doublemoral, but for me Marys thing came of more like a fashionshoot because
1 Vogue is a fashion magazine
2 The clothes designers are printed viseble on the pictures (in Vanity Fair it was on one of the last pages)
3 Mary talks about fashion in the interview
4 The royal Court said the allowed the photo shoot because Mary was to promote danish designers yet only one out of seven dresses are danish and makes that statment a little unvalid IMO

Personally I dont think the interviw brings any new information, most of it she has said before, in the Politikken interview, the NINKA book or the documentary. Also, and this is not Marys fault, the editor of Vogue said they sweetened the deal with some australian designerclothes, which sounds not very royal in my ears. I see no other purpose with this interview than to say that Mary looks beautiful, she could have used the interview to highlight good causes or good things with Denmark, and if she did not feel ready to do that she could have waited with the interview until she had worked more with different organisations nd such things, anyway just my oppinion

Mandy, in those pictures they appear with their husbands, we see The Couple together. In Mary's photos we just see her and Fred once.
Actually, there are three photos of Mary and Frederik together. There's one of them facing the camera, one of them dancing and facing the camera, and one of them dancing while he is kissing her forhead.

do we know exactly what the danish court told them... because mabye we dont

I think she looks gorgeous. If she were to engage in bi-monthly photo shoots with fashion magazines, then I might get concerned. However, I think the spread is tasteful and elegant, and allows Mary to further boost the profile of Denmark Down Under.

NB: According to the Australian Dept of Foreign Affairs and Trade (rather unfortunately known as "DFAT") imports of Danish merchandise have increased 11% from 2003 to 2004.

It seems to me that because Australian Vogue pressed for the interview right after the engagement announcement in Oct. 2003 that Fred, Mary and the royal family were, in a way, obligated to the shoot and interview. Had they said no, the Aussie press would have probably gotten very upset and not generated so much positive press on Mary prior to and after the wedding.

I read the interview on another site. While it's not thrilling journalism I cannot say that I find anything wrong with it. I think it could have been better and more focused on issues important to the Danish people but then again, Vogue sells fashion not politics...

I do think it would have been nice to have featured Mary wearing more Danish designs (a bit more promotion of the Danish fashion industry wouldn't have hurt!). That would have been a great sign of support.

pdas1201 said:
Some pics of Mary from the Vogue Magazine.
(from GRMB website)

She truly looks very elegant, I hope we get to see her doing engagements soon...
thanks for the pics ^___^ she looks gorgeous in those pics ^___^

Those are beautiful photos, Mandy, of CP MM and Haakon and CP W-A and Maxima. Thank you for posting them.

Julia said:
It seems to me that because Australian Vogue pressed for the interview right after the engagement announcement in Oct. 2003 that Fred, Mary and the royal family were, in a way, obligated to the shoot and interview. Had they said no, the Aussie press would have probably gotten very upset and not generated so much positive press on Mary prior to and after the wedding.

I read the interview on another site. While it's not thrilling journalism I cannot say that I find anything wrong with it. I think it could have been better and more focused on issues important to the Danish people but then again, Vogue sells fashion not politics...

I do think it would have been nice to have featured Mary wearing more Danish designs (a bit more promotion of the Danish fashion industry wouldn't have hurt!). That would have been a great sign of support.
i agree with u...i would say the Australian magazine would have to "book" that appointment with Fred and Mary (or gets the approval with the royal house or something) long time ago b4 they can actually take the pics and stuff....and again....Mary should promote Denmark in everything she do for the press (i mean....that's basically her job)..this is kinda disappointing seeing her wearing designer clothes and posing like a model....

well...i would say Mary has a lot to learn and i think she can learn from her sister-in-law Princess Alexandra who makes an excellent role model!

Regina said:
For Marie Louise: nobody hear is saying that Mary and Fred don't work hard!
But this is NOT a simple interview... She is posing just to promote herself and the not danish dresses. You don't see Mathilde or Letizia doing this...
For Regina: I was reacting to the fact, that someone said just that - go back and read the posts!

Just a note about this Vogue issue. I think some people here believe that what Mary did was merely pose for some pictures. This is incorrect - the main point of the article was actually to interview Mary, and I think Kristie Clements (the Vogue editor who interviewed Mary) did this very well. I hope all the critics get to own a copy, because the article is actually very nice and shows a very thoughtful, intelligent young woman who is very aware of her new role but who doesn't want to be pushed into doing things. You can sense that she wants a balance, and that she's not about to just accept every request that comes her way because she knows that to do so is not sustainable. You get the feeling that she thinks that might be harmful in the long run (if there's no balance), or if not that, then she certainly thinks to do so is not as productive as concentrating on ones you really believe in.

Here's an excerpt of the Vogue article (a HUGE thank you to syd from the CP Mary MB!!!).
The interview
by Kirstie Clements, editor Vogue Australia
www.vogue.com.au

....... “It’s important to look historically, to consider the perimeters and framework in which you’re working. It’s important to look to and talk with other members of the family about how they have created their role and how they fulfil their role. I have an opportunity to choose and to influence what my role becomes. I’m in a very fortunate situation because I can choose with my heart. I want to take my time with this.”
This is something she has clearly given a great deal of thought. “There are so many factors to consider,” she says, warming to the subject. “There are the inherited patronages, and then there are the offers that are on the table today and not least, my own wish list. It’s not easy to go quickly through all these things. It is important to look at the overall picture – tp be sure there is symmetry and meaning across all of it. I don’t want to be nothing to everyone. I need to be committed to an organization, so I can make a difference. It has to be something solid, for Denmark and for me.
“There also has to be a space, that allows me to grow as I develop and become more experienced, so that I can take on new things. I must make sure that from the beginning it’s not too full. Because once you choose, it is pretty much for life. There has to be a percentage left for future development. It is very much like starting a new job or project. And right now I’m in the strategic planning phase!
“Part of me wants it to be done right now, but it is important not to rush. I want to choose carefully, I want to investigate where I can give the benefit of my experience, and my background. Of course, I’ll cut ribbons and so on, that’s important too, but my altruistic nature wants to work for something that will really make a difference. If I have too many patronages that won’t be possible. That’s what I mean about being nothing to everyone. We all want to work on something we’re passionate about, because then you’ll do a damn good job.” ........

I say, good luck to you Mary and I'm glad you're thinking about this the right way and not overburdening yourself in this early stage of your new "career".... Hope you make the right decisions as to the charities you'll be involved with, and to do what you feel is best for you. Don't let them push you around.

Jasl said:
Just a note about this Vogue issue. I think some people here believe that what Mary did was merely pose for some pictures. This is incorrect - the main point of the article was actually to interview Mary, and I think Kristie Clements (the Vogue editor who interviewed Mary) did this very well. I hope all the critics get to own a copy, because the article is actually very nice and shows a very thoughtful, intelligent young woman who is very aware of her new role but who doesn't want to be pushed into doing things.

I say, good luck to you Mary and I'm glad you're thinking about this the right way and not overburdening yourself in this early stage of your new "career".... Hope you make the right decisions as to the charities you'll be involved with, and to do what you feel is best for you. Don't let them push you around.
Thank you so much for printing this Jasl. I would love to get a copy of the real magazine!

Easily done (well ok, maybe not that easy)... go to www.vogue.com.au and order a copy. It might take a while though, but this month's issue is definitely worth it (only costs about $15... not sure if that includes postage and handling).

I should be getting my own copy tomorrow (yaaaaayyyy!! I might get two... one for reading, and one to pass on to my grandkids in 50 years time, haha!)

Jasl said:
Easily done (well ok, maybe not that easy)... go to www.vogue.com.au and order a copy. It might take a while though, but this month's issue is definitely worth it (only costs about $15... not sure if that includes postage and handling).

I should be getting my own copy tomorrow (yaaaaayyyy!! I might get two... one for reading, and one to pass on to my grandkids in 50 years time, haha!)
Thank you Jasl. I think I might just do that. :)

Crown princess Mary of Denmark at the opening of the Stamp Collection in Copenhagen Forum, Nov. 5th, 2004 - From Imagine Scandinavia

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 630
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 0004.jpg
    0004.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 0005.jpg
    0005.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 161
  • 0006.jpg
    0006.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 264
About the Vogue fashion shoot of Mary's: I don't think it's in good taste for a Crown Princess or any princess (or prince for that matter) to pose in such a splashy manner. Some other photos I've seen, particularly a black and white one of Mary stepping out of a black car with a driver in a white cap holding the door for her, reminds me of one of the beginning scenes of the Julia Roberts's/Hugh Grant movie "Notting Hill." Read: The image of a star, a celebrity, not a Crown Princess.

In these pictures from Vogue, Mary makes me think of someone who loves the lavish lifestyle and idea of royalty but is not prepared for the hard work that comes with it. She likes the idea of being a glamorous, globe trotting "princess" but isn't prepared for the hard work of a princess.

Someone here provided an excerpt from Mary's Vogue interview to illustrate how thoughtful she is in her approach to her new role. But in the interview Mary says that she thinks its best to go slow at things in the beginning because if you jump in too quick you won't have time to grow in the future. Everybody has the ability to grow, no matter how quickly or slowly you approach things. Just because someone jumps head first into something, i.e. royal life and royal duties, doesn't mean they can't learn things from the experience or that they learn less than someone who goes at things with a royal duty here and there. My philosophy has always been that you learn more by actually doing than by thinking and watching, even if you do make mistakes along the way, you are also learning along the way. And is Mary saying that someone who has worked all her life for the Crown that at some point they can't learn anything anymore? If so, please tell that to Queen Elizabeth II and her very hard working daughter Princess Anne that they should stop now since they aren't learning anything anymore.

Maybe if Mary had waited a few years into her life as Crown Princess the interview might hold some more substance and some real life lessons, and she wouldn't come off as such a camera-hungry glamour puss.

Very well said Genevieve. Perfect!

Regina said:
Very well said Genevieve. Perfect!
Thank you Regina.

I just saw the thread of Mary's sister-in-law (soon to be ex I guess) on a UNICEF mission in Bangladesh. Compare those pictures of Alexandra with her hair in a half ponytail and a bit askew and minimal make up with these portraits of Mary and its obvious who the hardworking daughter-in-law in the family is. I find it very difficult to see Mary in the same position as Alexandra on such children and economic missions.

Genevieve said:
Thank you Regina.

I just saw the thread of Mary's sister-in-law (soon to be ex I guess) on a UNICEF mission in Bangladesh. Compare those pictures of Alexandra with her hair in a half ponytail and a bit askew and minimal make up with these portraits of Mary and its obvious who the hardworking daughter-in-law in the family is. I find it very difficult to see Mary in the same position as Alexandra on such children and economic missions.
Give CP Mary som time to finde out witch funktions she woud like so support.
I know that Princesse Alexandra is very hardworking,but as i said befor give CP Mary som time to adjust her in to the funktions she is going to support for the rest of her life.

H.M. Margrethe said:
Give CP Mary som time to finde out witch funktions she woud like so support.
I know that Princesse Alexandra is very hardworking,but as i said befor give CP Mary som time to adjust her in to the funktions she is going to support for the rest of her life.
This is such a tired mantra: Just give Mary time.

How much time do we give Mary exactly? How much time is enough time for Mary to prove herself a hard working member of the Danish RF?

In the months after the wedding, when everyone wondered where Mary was and her appearances were few and far between, everyone said "give Mary time" to settle into her role. Summer came and went, fall rolled in and Mary's appearances alone and with Frederik were still few and far between, and everyone still said "give Mary time."

It has been 6 months now since Mary has married Frederik and her appearances are far from regular or steady. We see her at best once a week -- although even this is a stretch some months. I think the hardest I have seen Mary work is the visit to Greenland, which was nearly two weeks. And after she returned from this trip, we didn't see her for some time -- resting up after all that hard work?

In the same period of time, we have seen Letizia of Spain, who married only a week after Mary, trek to Rome, Mexico, Guatemala, Jordan, Hungary, the U.S. not to mention the countless duties she does in Spain. Whether she does these duties accompanied by her husband or not, she has still done more than Mary during the same amount of time.

Mary should stop talking about how hard working she is, or rather plans to be, and really show the people how hard working she actually is. How come we don't hear the other Crown Princesses trump themselves up in magazine interviews declaring themselves hard working? Maybe because they are actually working and are too busy to be sitting around the palace modelling designer clothes and giving interviews about themselves.

Mary remind me of Marie Chantal of Greece: Someone who likes the lifestyle, prestige and honour of being a princess but isn't prepared to roll up her sleeves and do the work entailed. But in Marie Chantal's case, she is married to the Crown Prince from an exhiled country, so she has the title but none of the obligations. Mary isn't in her cousin-in-law's position and can't go around posing in designer clothes or in the front rows of fashion shows the way Marie Chantal can; Mary needs to prove her worth to the people of Denmark and get out there and be a representative for the country, not just talk about about how much she likes the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom