Crown Prince Frederik, Current Events Part 5: November 2014 - November 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some great action shots of Frederik going down the building, I dont think I would have the stomach to do it ;)
https://scontent.fsan1-1.fna.fbcdn....=505006d27f13cf753d72c1eae52c98b4&oe=566151B1
https://scontent.fsan1-1.fna.fbcdn....=48ed338eb9bfd8aee6a504c2049b603b&oe=56769349
https://scontent.fsan1-1.fna.fbcdn....=95e0dc5122e443316d59630cd2b0a9f0&oe=5682C387
https://www.facebook.com/SilkeborgArkiv/posts/10153543193323794

and an article on his November trip to South Africa
"Crown Prince in charge of export promotion in South Africa - Denmark's largest export market in Africa #dkbiz #dkeksport"
Crown Prince Frederik to lead trade delegation to South Africa | The Post

A nice video from BB of Frederik to the Silkeborg Run last weekend:

Kronprins Frederik gik sports-amok i Silkeborg | billedbladet.dk

It was some tough exercises the participants were through and the participants were to the last in the run troubled by muscle pain and cramps, and Frederik was one of them.

Eventually, the organizers of the run had to cut of a few kilometers of the distance so the teams could reach the finish line before the race time limit expired.

Frederik and his team was in goal saturday evening where a clearly happy but tired Crown Prince Frederik could be seen yawning after having crossed the finish line.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #36, 2015.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

This was a hard race! So hard in fact that most in the elite group Frederik belonged to has to cut short a part of their route, simply in order to have a chance of completing before 19.00 Saturday. 24 hours after the start.

They started by warming up for a couple of hours Friday at 19.00 with a little run through Silkeborg town. Then at 03.00 it was time to start the big ordeal!
Running, cycling, swimming, mountain bike and orienteering. And Saturday forenoon it was time for rappelling down 52 meters from the tallest building in Silkeborg. (*) Have touched the earth again, he and his mates were treated to coffee as a reward. But only for a short while, then the ordeals started again and ended almost twelve hours later, around 19.00.
Afterwards Frederik (**) said: "It was hard, but a good experience. A lovely day in many ways. And it has been varied. I've been looking forward to this and it is an exiting event.

In the pictures to the article it is obvious that Frederik got a lot of support from the locals, whom he often slapped hands with while running. He also at some point had time to chat with some onlookers while munching down some sweets.

(*) Silkeborg is placed in the middle of an area know as the Silkeborg Lakes and that is without question one of the most scenic places in DK.

(**) I've noticed that even though Frederik has just completed something and his lungs are seriously considering requesting to be transplanted to someone else, he speaks normally. Instead of that annoying out-of-breath way many elite athletes speak, even hours after completing something.

:previous:thanks Muhler.

By now Frederik probably has super lungs :cool:
great that he gets a lot of support. Besides bringing great press to these races and Dk, he stays super fit and healthy

Last night, Frederik participated in a dinner in connection with the WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) Executive Committee Meeting in Tivoli, Copenhagen.

A very handsome looking Frederik arrive to Tivoli :flowers:
http://img.kaloo.ga/thumb?url=http:...85f83ea96cbe1f63be35&method=fit&size=1440x720

Article from BB:
Kronprins Frederik til anti-doping middag i Tivoli | billedbladet.dk

I think you're right, Polyesco... As this is one of those "boring" business dinner with only men wearing black suits I don't think we should expect much more coverage from this dinner.

Last edited:
Last night, Frederik participated in a dinner in connection with the WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) Executive Committee Meeting in Tivoli, Copenhagen.

A very handsome looking Frederik arrive to Tivoli :flowers:
http://img.kaloo.ga/thumb?url=http:...85f83ea96cbe1f63be35&method=fit&size=1440x720

Article from BB:
Kronprins Frederik til anti-doping middag i Tivoli | billedbladet.dk

I think you're right, Polyesco... As this is one of those "boring" business dinner with only men wearing black suits I don't think we should expect much more coverage from this dinner.

thank you Roskilde :flowers:
very handsome indeed.
Yes "boring" black suits dont sell but luckily Frederik wore a blue suit that really brings out his eyes;)

Crown Prince Frederik has today completed the "A Swedish Classic":

Vasaloppet -March 2015 - 90 km langred skiing

Vätternrundan -June 2015 - 300 km by bicycle

Vansbroimningen -July 2015 - 3 km swimming in open water

Lidingöloppet - September 2015 - 30 km running in bumpy terrain (Today)

Frederik today also received the coveted diploma - if you are going to receive the diploma you have to complete all four run within a period of 12 months.

A HQ picture of a happy CP Frederik having reach the finish line after 30 km run in bumby terrain:
http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/777/10/10777349-lidingloppet-2015.jpg

Pictures and article from BT:
Fik eftertragtet diplom: Nu har kronprins Frederik bestået sin svenske 'mandomsprøve' - Royale | www.bt.dk

Frederik together with his team:
https://instagram.com/p/8GIuvktZdd/

Last edited:
After completing a Swedish Classic, Frederik now hints that his next aim is to take part in the hardest cross country skiing event in the world, Arctic Circle Race: Kronprins Frederik udviser fysisk overlegenhed | Billed Bladet

Reviewing the working lives of other current and former crown princes and princesses it appears Frederik is living a different kind of existence. Must be nice to be first in line to the throne and have the kind of time to train and compete to the extent he is doing. Unless he is planning on declining the role of the next reigning monarch and concentrate on being professional athlete.

:previous:

That is not fair IMO! Crown Prince Frederik do these things besides his other work as a Crown Prince - a very popular Crown Prince. "Unfortunately" (because the Danes and Danish media love his physical performances) they get much more coverage than all his other work. Remember that he just come from a successful humanitarian work trip with the Danish Red Cross - followed by working meetings in South Korea. In fact, Frederik is (according to the last year's annual counting) that person in the Danish Royal Family who has the most or second most official event's during a year. Some years the Queen has more. Some years Frederik has.

You can do both at the same time. Frederik is not doing more sport than many other sporting men of the same age with full time job besides too. It is totally modern for Danish men these years. My own husband has yesterday completed a 103 km mountain bike race in North Zealand ;)

Attachments

• Optælling.jpg
    Optælling.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
:previous:

That is not fair! Crown Prince Frederik do these things besides his work as a Crown Prince - a very popular Crown Prince. Unfortunately (because the Danes and Danish media love his physical performances) they get much more coverage than all his other work. Remember that he just come from a successful humanitarian work trip with the Danish Red Cross - and also working meetings in South Korea. In fact, Frederik is (according to the last year's annual counting) that person in the Danish Royal Family who has the most or second most official event's during a year. Some years the Queen has more. Some years Frederik has.

You can do both at the same time. Frederik is not doing more sport than many other sporting men of the same age with full time job besides too. My own husband has yesterday completed a 103 km mountain bike race in North Zealand ;)

Very well said.
I don't think he let's his training interfere with his role as crown prince.
He is allowed to have personal goals. Others race cars or waterski, etc. Frederik chooses to go on runs.
In my years of following Frederik never have I read that he is canceling work events or missing from important events.
He balances both.
The behind the scenes work is never shown but he is always with the queen at state councils. In the recent government change, one of the ministers noticed Frederik's increase role alongside the queen in all the meetings.
In the state visits it is he that goes with the visiting head of state not the Queen.
In Sweden and Norway it is still the kings that do the majority of events with the head of state but in Denmark it is Frederik
Check out the recent state visits from Turkey or Vietnam for example, and Frederik was more the host besides the receptions than the Queen.

With Business delegations, it is all Frederik and Mary.
In the beginning of November he will be heading to South Africa with a danish business delegation.

Some very healthy activities to do while he is still young enough

Last edited:
Reviewing the working lives of other current and former crown princes and princesses it appears Frederik is living a different kind of existence. Must be nice to be first in line to the throne and have the kind of time to train and compete to the extent he is doing. Unless he is planning on declining the role of the next reigning monarch and concentrate on being professional athlete.

It is IMO mainly down to poor communication.

The media and the public interest focus mainly on the female members of the DRF. You know, dresses, hair, bags and stylish photos sell better than men in suits.
When the media, and the public, focus on male royals, is when they do something unusual, preferably manly like sports. Frederik has done a lot of that in recent years and got a lot of press, and indeed admiration, on that account.
Unfortunately that has overshadowed the other things Frederik is doing. Like the environment, IOC, commerce and so on, because it's boring. I.e. men in suits meeting other men in suits outside conference rooms.
That means that only those who read business papers and these threads really get to know what he is otherwise up to.

Frederik is great when it comes to personal interaction but he is a poor communicator. He is a sincere speaker, but a bad orator and that's the main problem. He doesn't get his message across in a way that is clear to the general public. So he has problems holding on to the audience.

Mary in contrast is great at communicating, it has after all been something she has done professionally.
Joachim too, because he is a natural talent when it comes to speaking.

Even our Marie is better, because she lets her feelings come across.

The recent trip to Nepal is an interesting example. I have over the years translated many interviews from such trips with practically all members of the DRF.
With Joachim and Mary, the interviews are crammed with facts about the area and the topic they are visiting.
With Marie, you can hear her cry and hear the horror in her voice when she tells about what happens. She is not the most eloquent but she gets her message across through her personal feelings.
The interview with Frederik was interesting in the way that we got to know how Frederik, the man, approach such a visit - and we got to know that he is learning from Mary - but it wasn't much hard facts about Nepal that we got from him. - The facts, the figures, what is being done, what can be done, that didn't take up much space in the interview.
Fortunately the press did do their job and did some research, so there was in fact a lot of facts from the visit, - but not by Frederik.
You were left with no doubt that he was sincere and committed to helping Red Cross - but he had IMO problems getting that message across.

But returning to what Frederik is doing, we should also consider that he is now vice-president of the "DRF-company" on a day to day basis alongside QMII. And that means quite a few hours at the office dealing with all sorts of trivial matters.

Last edited:
I've always got the impression that compared to many other RF's in Europe the Danish RF are quite poor at keeping accurate public diaries of the things Frederik and the other royals do. I know at one time (possibly still) the official website didn't show Frederick attending almost weekly Council of State meetings whereas most other Royal Court's would make sure this was on the official agenda for their crown prince/princesses.

I've always got the impression that compared to many other RF's in Europe the Danish RF are quite poor at keeping accurate public diaries of the things Frederik and the other royals do. I know at one time (possibly still) the official website didn't show Frederick attending almost weekly Council of State meetings whereas most other Royal Court's would make sure this was on the official agenda for their crown prince/princesses.

You nailed it!

Frederik is wearing a lot of suits and attending a lot of serious meetings and briefings, why oh why, are we not told more about it?

If the poor man can't speak well, let him write. Write articles about the environment - that's politically safe. No one wants a worse environment.
Find a relatively simple topic and promote it. The veterans for example. That's reasonably politically safe and certainly safe with the public.

In other words: Frederik needs a professional PR agency to guide him in how to promote himself and the topics he wants to put focus on.
It's no shame to hire help. That's what all sensible business managers do.
And Frederik is basically a manager in a promotion company.

But returning to what Frederik is doing, we should also consider that he is now vice-president of the "DRF-company" on a day to day basis alongside QMII. And that means quite a few hours at the office dealing with all sorts of trivial matters.

Agree. And sadly these events are not highlighted by the DRF .
We know he does audiences and the state councils, but the drf doesn't specifically write him in like they do in other royal families.
Like I said before, during the government change it was the minister that pointed out Frederik's role, because the Drf Web at first did not write him in.
The other royals give pictures their audiences yet the Drf doesn't .

A better Pr is indeed needed but even with a bad one , imo he is doing very well. He is seen as the best representative of the royal family.
Now just some extra polish is needed :flowers:

Exactly. He attends all the State Council meetings (if he is in the country or isn't otherwise occupied). He is never mentioned in the calendar entry.
He has attended most of the government reshuffels for the past years. Most of the time, he hasn't been mentioned in the calendar.

That's just two examples. The court has several times said, that only events that have an interest to the public (Or something like that -I can't remember the exact phrase) are published on the official calendar.
There are many events and meetings that are not.

A few years ago, Frederik did an official visit to Ukraine. An agenda was never published. The events that he had, that we know of, were known and reported of, only if someone happened to find news about it somewhere.

Last year he visited California and had several events and visits during a few days. Nothing on the calendar and one photo was published.

It's very difficult to understand, why this is happening.

Oh, and one more example. Some years ago, Frederik visited NY. He attended an event at the Danish-American Chamber of Commerce. (Or something like that - I can't remember exactly what it was.) There was an article about that event in the "serious Danish press". Some businessman was interviewed. The article didn't event mention, that the Crown Prince also attended.
At the same time, the Danish press was, for about two weeks, full of "the Crown Prince kissing his ex-girlfriend on the cheek (while her husband and his wife were standing next to them and also did the kissing) at some movie premier.

:previous: agree.
Sometimes the press and the DRF press office is :bang::bang:
The trip to Silicon Valley meeting many Danish entrepreneurs and companies, hard to find articles but in the business sections many gave him high praise.
Only one photo given by the drf website.

Another thing I have noticed is the state visits, Frederik is with the head of state, while in other monarchies it is still the monarchs themselves.

The drf highlights alot if not all his sports events, which is good in a way but in his majority of business events they drop the ball.

I don't understand why the Royal Court don't publish the things Frederik does, surely its in their interest to been seen to have an active, hard working heir?
It can't be that hard to put online the diary someone must keep for Frederik, I mean its not like he jumps in a car and decides where to visit each day, its planned well in advance.

I have a different point of view as to why CP Frederik's constitutional role as heir and future King is so "hidden" from public view and knowledge. I may be completely off base but here goes anyhow. Let me emphasize that this is my opinion only!

Everyone has made very important points...but I think that the discussion is missing a very important family dynamic. And that dynamic surrounds Prince Henrik....a man who sees himself as #2 in the family after the Queen; is against being "downgraded" to #3 and thinks that he should have the title as King since his wife is Queen.

The same Prince Henrik who in 2002 fled Denmark for southern France after feeling "degraded" when the media dared suggest that Crown Prince Frederik was the host of the New Year's Court that year when the Queen could not attend due to an injury!

Prince Henrik places great importance on being half of the regent couple of Denmark. How is the DRF to deal with Prince Henrik's sensitivities? As he gets older, he will not change his opinion or thinking....and he is still the Queen's husband and CP Frederik's father. So I think that the Queen and CP Frederik have compromised and decided that CP Frederik's preparation for his future role as King should be done as behind the scenes as possible...so as not to seem as though Frederik is "overtaking" Prince Henrik in importance. With the advent of social media, CP Frederik's constitutional activities are becoming known indirectly.

I often wonder how Prince Henrik will react if the Queen were to die and the CP Couple become the regent couple. Would he retire and move to southern France permanently?

I also think that the PR strategy of the DRF reflects the character of the head of the family - the Queen - a woman who is not of the technological age and probably isn't too in tune with the power of social media. I remember from the last documentary of the monarchy at work that she still uses a pocket diary to record her events. I would think that F&M use their smart phones/computers/I Pads.

I think better PR will come when F&M become the regent couple...especially with CP Mary's background in marketing. She already uses the website and social media connected to the Mary Foundation to get the message out on her meetings and behind the scene events.

So while I agree there are problems with poor communication and the DRF's PR on CP Frederik's activities as heir...I still think we must also consider the somewhat thorny issue of a father who cannot handle being seen as less important than his son.

That's my 2 cents!!

Last edited:
:previous: Those :twocents: worth could definitely be a factor. That Fred loves them both and is not ashamed to show them means it would be a no-brainer.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/3162a88a3cdce1418d8d3090eb07be50/tumblr_mym9z4hBBh1t8kuvfo1_500.png
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7c/86/74/7c86749e06860647a3cb32b6a6d36b0d.jpg

I think Muhler has the right of it when he says that Frederik is not a natural public speaker and I don't think he finds being interviewed comfortable either, unless he can (and does) wax lyrical about Mary and the kids. In short, he needs excellent PR assistance and someone from International "Toastmasters" to help him become a more confident public speaker.

Nevertheless, the more he does it the better he'll get and I don't think he has any problem at all dealing with boardrooms and "suits" which are about as interesting to journalists as watching the paint flake. So there are zero to few journo's covering these meetings let alone State Council meetings to which I am pretty sure they don't get an invite.

What Frederik is doing is merely practising exceptional 'Work/Life Balance', what better example to the people of Denmark that you work to live and not live to work!

The only "drawback" in Frederik's healthy lifestyle is that it puts him in front of a camera which shows the paparazzi a really foxy, 47-year-old , Crown Prince that they can make oodles of money covering and thrilling the female part of Denmark while depressing the hell out of any laggardly slugs (journos?) who couldn't begin to keep up with him.

Reality really does bite! :D

I think Muhler has the right of it when he says that Frederik is not a natural public speaker and I don't think he finds being interviewed comfortable either, unless he can (and does) wax lyrical about Mary and the kids. In short, he needs excellent PR assistance and someone from International "Toastmasters" to help him become a more confident public speaker.

Nevertheless, the more he does it the better he'll get and I don't think he has any problem at all dealing with boardrooms and "suits" which are about as interesting to journalists as watching the paint flake. So there are zero to few journo's covering these meetings let alone State Council meetings to which I am pretty sure they don't get an invite.

He is not the best of speakers but very good with people. I don't see how that's relevant to why so much of his work is not properly shown on the official calendar or in some other way?

The press will never be interested in showing the "boring" stuff and they don't have access to all the meetings and State Councils etc etc. The point is, at least for me, that stuff like that should be on his calendar.

The Danes are used to a Queen who is very much involved with her own artistic work and - besides her duties as monarch - primarily attends events within her fields of interest. And they love their queen because she is also an artist.
IMO Frederik is following in his mother's footsteps, only his field of interest is sport. And through these activities he can show that he has determination and is willing to make an effort besides promoting a healthy lifestyle.

grevinnan
Reviewing the working lives of other current and former crown princes and princesses it appears Frederik is living a different kind of existence.
EB counted the working days of the Scandinavian and British royals in 2013 and the result was that Frederik - although EB left out all sport related events - had more working days than either Victoria of Sweden or Haakon of Norway but much less than Prince Charles (which was enough to call Frederik "lazy").
Among the Danish royals in 2014 he was second after the Queen when it came to working days.
I wonder what did you "review" which gives you the impression that he lives a different kind of existence than e.g. his Scandinavian counterparts?

Maybe his competing is his way of blowing off steam and coping with the pressures of his position? He needs something where he can get his mind off what lies ahead and just focus on himself.
I think the reason Fredrik is taking on a more prominent role than fx Victoria is because 1. Queen Margrethe is showing her age a lot more than her cousin Carl Gustav and she seems very much aware of it 2. Fredrik is a male heir with older children while Victoria is a pregnant mother with a 3 year old daughter 3. King Carl Gustav is very territorial when it comes to his role as a monarch and although very proud of Victoria he wants the main focus to be on himself.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

:previous:Some very good posts. Hopefully the PR will change for the better. We know he works hard, and is already second in command in alot of ways.

Another short article about Frederik and the Swedish classic
Klassisk löpning med kronprinsen - Sport - Motala Vadstena Tidning

"- It was a little different experience indeed. He thought Lidingöloppet was the worst race in a Swedish classic, says Thorén, who says that the crown prince was quite worn out when they crossed the finish line after two hours and 49 minutes.

- He has a lot of missions, so he had not been able to train properly the last time. And now he came directly from a seven-day trip. But he's strong . He has previously run the Ironman Copenhagen, says Thoren."

"- There was a lot of Danes out there and they back him directly."

:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom