Crown Prince Frederik, Current Events Part 4: May 2013 - November 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:

Yes, Frederik today opened The Power Racing Karting Academy's new track, where the cars run on electricity to reduce CO2 emissions.

At the same time Frederik revealed it was there Christian recently held an exciting eighth birthday together with his classmates.

Frederik held a spontaneous speech in which he told how much he likes the new place and how nice the place's instructors did ​​it, when Christian up to the autumn holiday held his eight-year party at the racetrack with several of his classmates.

- I would like to highlight your teaching abilities which you can be proud of. You can "handle" boys who are even a bit younger than those who sit behind the wheel here today. I was really impressed the other day when my own son was out here to keep a little boy birthday on the pitch. There you consisted your test as educators and as future coaches for future Le Mans masters and much more. So congratulations to you -

Video: Lorry

Last edited:
Love these pictures of Frederik with kids at the Power Racing Karting Academy

http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/943/6/615x-u/6943307-.jpg

http://kongehuset.dk/materialemappe.../indvielse-af-power-racing-gokart-akademi.img

and how fun that Christian had his birthday there with some of his classmates

More pics from the ISS event

Åbning af nyt ISS hovedkontor - Kongehuset

More pictures from the ISS event on Monday
Inauguration à l'ISS pour le prince Frederik and on their facebook

https://www.facebook.com/issworld/photos_stream

and two more pics of Frederik on his visit to Israel

Crown Prince Frederik Of Denmark Is Seen Leaving The The

Crown Prince Frederik Of Denmark Shakes Hands With

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Thanks, iceflower :flowers:

Here's an article and a video interview with Frederik
Kronprinsen på kongejagt | TV/MIDT-VEST

Frederik participated in the annual royal hunt, where they total were 20 hunters. The hunters went hunting for deer, which there, according to the Nature Agency is for many of in the plantation.

- "We need to have reduced the stock of respect to the surrounding fields, and it's great that someone is coming and helping us with it", said forest supervisor Paul Ravnsbæk.

Frederik said he will take some meat with him home to Mary and the children.

- "It's healthy and full of proteins and energy. And it's fun to tell your children what they are eating. My children are good to be a little curious as regards the food. And it's obvious that when dad himself has shot the deer, so is it extra exciting"

Note: In the interview it sounds like Frederik, like many other Danes right now, has been hit by the autumn cold.

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks, iceflower :flowers:

Here's an article and a video interview with Frederik
Kronprinsen på kongejagt | TV/MIDT-VEST

Frederik participated in the annual royal hunt, where they total were 20 hunters. The hunters went hunting for deer, which there, according to the Nature Agency is for many of in the plantation.

- "We need to have reduced the stock of respect to the surrounding fields, and it's great that someone is coming and helping us with it", said forest supervisor Paul Ravnsbæk.

Frederick said he will take some meat with him home to Mary and the children.

- "It's healthy and full of proteins and energy. And it's fun to tell your children what they are eating. My children are good to be a little curious as regards the food. And it's obvious that when dad himself has shot the deer, so is it extra exciting"

Note: It sounds like Frederik, like many other Danes right now, has been hit by the autumn cold.

thank you for the story.
Nice that hunting is regulated and serves a purpose.
I can picture Frederik at the table telling his 4 kids where the meet comes from.:flowers:

Summary of a brief article in Billed Bladet #45, 2013.
Frederik viste sin respekt - Frederik paid his respect.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

After a fourteen hour flight directly from Australia Frederik touched down in Israel as the first Danish royal ever.
Here he visited Yad Vashem, the official memorial for the Holocaust. And he saw the Hall of Names in memory of the millions of Jews who were killed during WWII.
Here is also exhibited one of the boats used to bring Danish Jews to safety in Sweden 70 years ago and it was to mark this event that Frederik visited Israel in the first place.

While there Frederik also visited the Israeli President Shimon Peres.

- Let's go through that event again.

When DK was occupied on 9th April 1940, Denmark remained more or less autonomous, the German troops were only there to "protect" the country.
There were around 7.000 Jews living in DK. However as Danish citizens they were under the protection of the Danish state and as such they could walk the streets safely. They were not molested by neither German forces nor Danish nazis. - Or at least such incidents were far between.
There was no yellow star of David, no J in the Ausweiss (ID papers), no businesses were closed down or vandalised, no jews were fired from their jobs. - Again, if so, such incidents were rare and investigated by the authorities.
It has emerged that should Jews ever have been required to wear the yellow star, King Christian stated that he would were it too. And his standing in the population was such that the vast majority of Danes would no doubt have worn it as well the very next day.

By the summer of 1943 the political situation between the German occupiers and the Danish politicians had worsened to a point where co-operation was no longer possible and the Danish Parliament resigned.
The Germans were prepared for that and lists of Danish Jews had been prepared and the deportation order put on stand-by and in August, IRRC, 1943 the order to round up the Jews went out.
And this is where it became remarkable.

The Danish resistance and the German armed forced, the Wehmacht, had a mutual live and let live policy. German soldiers could walk the streets in safety armed with no more than a bayonet until the end of the war. In return the soldiers (and to a very high degree the officers as well!) tended to look the other way. No need to rock the boat. DK was much preferable to the Eastern Front and even Germany. Here they weren't bombed and they could listen to the latest jazz music, which was outlawed in Germany.
As in most other occupied countries the Germans and the Resistance knew perfectly well how to get in touch and a number of warnings were send out in advance of the deportation of the Jews.
The Resistance got busy and because this involved what was seen by the general public to be an attack on ordinary Danish citizens, the Resistance had few problems recruiting helpers to hide, aide, transport and feed around 6.500 Jews, litterally from day to day. The rest, some 500 or so were rounded up, but more of those later.
The biggest problem was secrecy. DK was a much smaller country back then and everybody knew everything about everybody else. So Jews could only stay in hiding for a few days at any particular location before needing to move on.
The next big problem was to organise the transport to Sweden. But during the autumn of 1943 most were quietly smuggled across, even though a few hundred, mostly children, were left back and went underground.
The German military at the same time was astonishingly incompetent. They apparantly went collectively blind, deaf and uninquisitive during these autumn months. The German navy in particular suffered a number of peculiar mechanical problems with the patrolboats as well.

And this is when the Resistance started in earnest in DK.

The 500 or so Jews who were rounded up, were not shipped to the death camps. They were sent to "ordinary" concentration camps. Where they were regularly checked on by the Danish authorities and were allowed to recieve Red Cross packages, all very much under the supervision of the Swedish Count Bernadotte. Something similar happened to Norwegian Jews, but they actually suffered worse, because they had no authorities to look after their interests as Norwegian citizens. Norway being under the pro-nazi Quisling government.
Why did the Nazis worry about a small number of Scandinavian Jews? Well, the writing was on the wall for many Nazis and they were simply a bargaining chip, a way to strike a deal with the Allies.
Anyway, the Germans had hardly surrendered (5th May 1945 in DK) before the "white busses" went down to Germany under Count Bernadotte, to bring the Danish and Norwegian Jews back home and this is why less than 150 Danish Jews perished in the camps. - Along with around 60 police officers and a number of resistance fighters as well.

It's remarkable story. What happened was a actually spontaneous "help your neighbor" reaction. Basically because we Danes are a tribe, and once you have become a part of the tribe we tend to close ranks. Because there were no Jewish ghettos in DK. There were very few orthodox Jews who stood out, and as such there was no anti-semitism to speak off. Because the Jews were indistingushible from other Danish citizens in the day to day life. The Jews had been fully assimmilated into the tribe long ago. - And that I believe is the key to understand what happened back in 1943. The Danes are not better than everybody else, rather the Danes simply helped other Danes who just happened to be Jews.

Last edited:
It's remarkable story. What happened was a actually spontaneous "help your neighbor" reaction. Basically because we Danes are a tribe, and once you have become a part of the tribe we tend to close ranks. Because there were no Jewish ghettos in DK. There were very few orthodox Jews who stood out, and as such there was no anti-semitism to speak off. Because the Jews were indistingushible from other Danish citizens in the day to day life. The Jews had been fully assimmilated into the tribe long ago. - And that I believe is the key to understand what happened back in 1943. The Danes are not better than everybody else, rather the Danes simply helped other Danes who just happened to be Jews.

I really appreciate all the danish history and stories you add to this forum:flowers:
and the last paragraph is really sweet

Kronprins Frederik deltager i TV2-program | Billed Bladet

Are you among those who like to see Frederik with the wind sweeping through his hair?
Do you like to see Frederik don a tightfitting diving suit?
Well, Christmas is early this year. (Eh, Polyesco?)

On the 2th December Frederik will appear on an episode with Troels Kløvedal sailing in the waters around Denmark.
Here they will talk about their love of sailing, love of the sea, exchange deep and probably not so deep thoughts of this and that.

Frederik has known Troels Kløverdal for many years. Troels Kløverdal is in DK known as a globetrotter. He has sailed in his sailboat Nordkaperen = The North Cape(r) for many years in all sorts of oceans and produced a number of series of his travels.
A few years ago Troels Kløvedal also made an episode with QMII, mainly onboard Dannebrog. Interesting, because on the face of it they are two very different characters! QMII looking every inch a queen, and Troels Kløvedal looking like a lost hippie in time. But their common enthusiasm for the sea and not least knowledge of Denmark as seen fro the sea soon made them comfortable with each other.

I won't be seeing it, because I'm going to a Christmas lunch but I'm confident other members will.

Kronprins Frederik deltager i TV2-program | Billed Bladet

Are you among those who like to see Frederik with the wind sweeping through his hair?
Do you like to see Frederik don a tightfitting diving suit?
Well, Christmas is early this year. (Eh, Polyesco?)

On the 2th December Frederik will appear on an episode with Troels Kløvedal sailing in the waters around Denmark.
Here they will talk about their love of sailing, love of the sea, exchange deep and probably not so deep thoughts of this and that.

Frederik has known Troels Kløverdal for many years. Troels Kløverdal is in DK known as a globetrotter. He has sailed in his sailboat Nordkaperen = The North Cape(r) for many years in all sorts of oceans and produced a number of series of his travels.
A few years ago Troels Kløvedal also made an episode with QMII, mainly onboard Dannebrog. Interesting, because on the face of it they are two very different characters! QMII looking every inch a queen, and Troels Kløvedal looking like a lost hippie in time. But their common enthusiasm for the sea and not least knowledge of Denmark as seen fro the sea soon made them comfortable with each other.

I won't be seeing it, because I'm going to a Christmas lunch but I'm confident other members will.

Yes! and double Yes!! for your questions Muhler ;)

from the picture they have, Frederik looks great
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi..._1/media/frede-og-kloevedal.jpg?itok=Ydno4FW-

and interesting to read that the Queen has done an episode as well.
What a great promotion of Denmark i think. I love watching travel shows about countries I wish/want to visit:flowers:.

:previous:

And here's a little preview of the program... :flowers:

A nice 5:30 minutes long video. My youngest isn't very keen on go to sleep tonight, so I haven't time to translate, but here is the link: Kronprinsen på dybt vand i tv-program | tvtid

How cool of Frederik to take part in this underwater expedition. And discovering more history.

As always, any and all translation are greatly appreciated. He seems to have a good conversation with the crew. And im a bit curious to hear what they found :flowers::flowers:

Polyesco, your request is my command. :)

I won't translate the whole thing though, but instead select segments.

We start out with fitting on the diving helmets, which is apparently something new for Frederik. I guess he is more used to scuba-diving. Some of the divers and the diving leader address him with formal you, one or two others adress him with informal you.

Frederik is "Diver one". The wreck they are exploring is located at eleven meters. It appears to be some centuries old, a small coaster of some sort, of which there were countless along the Danish coasts but only a very few have been found. And that despite the fact that there are 20.000 known wrecks in Danish waters. Of these only about 2.000 have been identified, let alone explored.

It's Troels Kløvedal who is the narrator during the dive.

Things of value have been salvaged from the wreck after it went down, i.e. iron objects and similar handy things.

The vessel has been used to freight firewoods to Copenhagen. A pretty profitable and busy trade come to think of it. (Probably from present day Sweden I guess).

1:32 The diving leader ask the divers to pick up a "maiden". I think it's called a tack in English.
Frederik got it.

1:59 "Diver one have you (formal you) seen enough of the wreck to start going upwards"?
F: "Yeah, I think I have. I'm pretty pleased with what I have seen now".

2:38: F: "That was damn fun".
Assistant: "That was different"?
F: "Yeah".

2:48 A: "How about the helmet? Was it snug"?
F: "Yeah, that was fine. - I understand why you would want to use an apparatus like that".
Troels Kløvedal almost feel like trying himself.
The assistant explains that the water in Frederik's wetsuit is warm, surprising Kløvedal.
F: "Yeah, you can regulate the heat right here. - Pure luxury".

3:33 Frederik is standing in a group and disussing the technicalities of the dive.
The diver Frederik went with is the mature beaded gentleman standing facing Frederik. Frederik explains how the other diver "stole" the "maiden" from his hand and show how. General agreement that the maiden was ripped from Frederik's hand. Whereupon the assistant laughs: "That's not something you (again formal) have experienced before. (The co-diver address Frederik with informal you and is addressed as such in return).
Anyway, there is general agreement that the second diver is going to hear for that one for a long, long time.

3:54 An archeologist explains to Frederik and Kløvedal what has been found on the wreck. The items are almost exclusively made of wood.

4:08 A cooking pot, without the handle.

4:40 A washing basin, made from wood - and it has been mended before.

5:10 Now they talk about the wreck itself. I see it's archeologists from the Viking ship museum in Roskilde which are running the show.
F: "What's unique about this is that you have nothing like it".
Archeologist: "...there have been so many of them, why the heck don't we find more of them"?
F: "The explanation must be that they didn't go down as such, because they sailed so close to the shore".
A: "We assume there are 20.000 wrecks and we know of 2.000, so it may be that some of the 18.000 are of this type".

Last edited:
:previous:thank you:flowers:

It greats. Love the history. Not sure i want to go underwater, but I love seeing these old artifacts rediscovered.
Frederik, always seems to put everyone at ease. :flowers:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #48, 2013.
Frederik på togt med Kløvedal - Frederik on a cruise with Kløvedal.
Written by our maritime reporter Ulrik Ulriksen.

As you know by now, TV2 Fri will show an episode with the globetrotter Kløvedal and Frederik exploring a 300 year old wreck. Troels Kløvedal is now 70 years old and doesn't look a day older than 55. He says: "Frederik was out sailing with me and that was nice. Among other things he took part in diving for a wreck near Guldborgsund (a strait). And then we sailed among some small islands south of Zealand. He would like to go out sailing with me abord Nordkaperen (Kløvedal's sailboat). He always wanted to do that and so it finally came true".

The older diver, I mentioned in the post above, who "snatched" an item from Frederik is Gert Normann, and he is considered one of the most experienced divers in DK, so no wonder Frederik know him well.

But apart from Frederik and QMII Kløvedal has also met Joachim. In Hong Kong, where Joachim and Alexandra were visiting. And here Joachim paid a surprise visit. Kløvedal explains: "Prince Joachim is a courteous man". Because he brought with him a big bag of Piratos licorice. (*) "We spend a long afternoon together. He was very interested in learning about our trip and (he) has by the way read many of my books and heard several of my lectures/speeches/accounts".

(*) Piratos. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-edtlSmUBRU/TJvKxkI1XmI/AAAAAAAAADc/avMBMg8Dwb0/s1600/pirates1.jpg
It's with good reason they advice on the package that it should only be eaten by adults. It's (fairly) strong salt licorice. They are delicious but if your are not used to them you are in serious risk of getting the runs if you eat two bags in a row. Even after one bag, you'll feel it in your stomach and I can assure you that you duvet will lift quite a number of times when you go to bed!
Also, you shouldn't eat too many if your bloodpressure is too high - but you can't help it. You must eat until the bag is empty...

Last edited:
With Frederik being Regent, because QMII is in Britain, buying Christmas presents, visiting the Buffs and the BRF, it was he who held the public audience today Monday.

In all 58 people had turned up for the audience. All of them it seems to thank QMII's representative, Frederik, for orders and honors recieved.
58 i audiens hos kronprins Frederik - Navne

The whole show took place at Christiansborg.

Protocol dictates that you as soon as convenient after having recieved at order, honor or appointment, show up at one of the public audiences to say thanks. Common curtesy.

Anyway, it's fairly formal. You show up in your finest, bring with you white gloves (or you can borrow some) and you will wear your order. You state your name and why you are there, usually in advance but certainly to the court official before the audience.
Then wait for your turn.

After recieving a short briefing you will go in to meet Frederik standing in the middle of the room. You will approach, bow, curtsey or nod. Than you will thank Frederik for the honor bestowed on you. You will small-talk for a minute or so, while you are alone in the room with Frederik. Then he will give you a descreet signal and that's when you will say goodbye and leave.

Ironically Frederik will most likely have no idea why you got the order and in most cases he may have no idea who you are. It's Joachim who are among those who check the applicants of the orders, based usually on the recommendations from the relevant ministries. Once that is done, that's mostly a formality, the recommandations will be presented to the Monarch for final approval and signature.

Last edited:
Were there someone who saw the program with Frederik and Troels Kløvedal last night? The channel isn't available home at us and you have to pay if you will watch the TV2 programs online.

Frederik has visited the Danish troops in Afghanistan.

So far BB and the Defence carry the story, with pics: H.K.H. Kronprinsen på lynvisit i Afghanistan
Kronprins Frederik på overraskelsesbesøg i Afghanistan | Billed Bladet

The visit lasted 24 hours and has now ended.

DK will withdraw the combat troops next year, however, Frederik's old colleagues from the special forces will remain, training Afghan security forces.

You'll notice a number of soldiers have grown beards. Beards being a sign of maturity in rural Afghanistan.

Last edited:
Good for frederik for visiting the troops in Afghanistan. Hopefully all of the troops can stay safe and return home soon

Please excuse my ignorance but who do you mean by the 'Buffs' ? maybe I haven't had my caffiene yet this morning to stimulate the brain. And if HM is in London and Frederik is Regent - then when he went to Afghanistan was Joachim then Regent or was HM back from London?

The Buffs = Royal East Kent Regiment, for which QMII is honorary colonel.
She pays them a visit each year at this time.

Joachim would have been Rigsforstander - it just wasn't announced.
If Frederik isn't already back in DK (if he can due to the storm), he will be very soon.

Do we know where Frederik is going on 6-8th December? Since Joachim will be Rigsforstander. Afghanistan perhaps?

Most likely he isn't going anywhere.
I think it was all made by the Court for security of Frederik's visit to Afghanistan. Frederik was listed as Regent from Nov. 30. - Dec. 6. and Joachim for 6-8 December. Now Joachim's Regency (6-8 dec.) is removed from the calender and Frederik is changed to be regent the entire period from 30. Nov. to 8 Dec.

And maybe it all the time actually was Mary who originally was planned going to attend the "An Open World" conference? It was maybe just a "security trick".

Last edited:
Most likely he isn't going anywhere.
I think it was all made by the Court for security of Frederik's visit to Afghanistan. Frederik was listed as Regent from Nov. 30. - Dec. 6. and Joachim for 6-8 December. Now Joachim's Regency (6-8 dec.) is removed from the calender and Frederik is changed to be regent the entire period from 30. Nov. to 8 Dec.

And maybe it all the time actually was Mary who originally was planned going to attend the "An Open World" conference? It was maybe just a "security trick".

That makes sense. They do have Frederik as regent now until the 8th. Hopefully he has made it back to dk safely.

The Crown Prince is quoted as stating, “It’s been a great experience once again have the opportunity to visit the broadcast , Danish soldiers in Afghanistan. I am as on previous visits impressed with the soldiers accomplishes… The mission in Afghanistan is no longer in people’s minds to the same extent as before. I think it’s important that we at home remember that Denmark still has troops deployed in Afghanistan for some time . The existing , deployed soldiers perform , like their predecessors, some good work.”
great he can help put the attention back on the troops

Thanks Muhler for that explanation. I knew HM was Colonel in Chief for the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment is this another/different regiment? Hope all stay safe during the storms you are experiencing in Denmark. As it is summer here we have had very hot days - now much milder cooler days. We very much need rain where I live. In the highlands in southern parts of the country here they are expecting snow!! Crazy weather patterns.

You are of course right, Tarlita. :)

QMII is honorary colonel in the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment.

Yes, we are safe, thank you. Even the fishermen thought yesterday's storm was a bit more windy than usual!
The weather sure has changed. In my childhood we got a storm like that every few years. Now we have a couple of severe storms a year.

Do we know if Mary will come along or if he will attend the funeral with the Prime Minister only?

Has the danish royal court and government confirmed this ? Because the swedish government and royal court are still awaiting more information and invitations according to an article in Expressen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom