Crown Prince Frederik, Current Events 3: September 2010 - May 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
previous.gif
More form Wimbledon

Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3

This must belong here, at least for now, as Frederik is currently Regent and I have no information about QMII being back in Denmark.

Today the Prime Minister announced a general election to be held on the 15th September.

In connection with that some formalia needs to be adhered to.
Formally the PM seeks an audience with the Monarch or in this case with the Regent, i.e.Crown Prince Frederik.
Here he formally request Her Majesty to declare a general election to the Parliament to take place at a specific date. Usually about 21 days later.
In accordance with the Constitution which states that a general election must be held within four years of the prior election.
It is unthinkable that the Majesty (or in this case the Regent) will not grant that request. - So Frederik will sign a document the PM brought with him with the word: "Granted" and his signature.

At the same time the PM informs that
A) The government will resign, because the Parliament and/or the political situation makes it impossible for the government to continue.
or
B) The government will step back and a "business ministry" will act until a new government is formed. That means DK is run by civil servants and that only in an emergency will the government ministers take on responsibility.
or
C) What appears to be the case here. The government will continue. But de facto it will have stepped back, as no new laws can be passed, no new decisions of any importance will be made and carried through, no new initiative will be launced. It's purely administrative and the ministers are there just in case a political decision needs to be taken.
In reality the ministers will be preoccupied with campaigning and the civil servants will run must of the show.

After having been at the audience with Frederik the PM then announced to the press and the people that a general election will be held 15. September.
He could announce the election before going to the Queen/Regent, but that would incorrect as there is a theoretical possibility of a coup, Copenhagen being hit be a meteor or the DRF being abducted by Martians, while the PM is on the way to see Frederik

ADDED: There are a number of phrases which need careful translating and that can easily lead to misunderstandings.
But to keep it simple and short:
Option A: The government cannot function or get a vote of no confidence by the Parliament.
Option B: The government does not expect to continue in it's present constellation, even if it wins the election. For example: A major coalition partner has left the government.
Option C: The government hope and expect to win the next election and continue in its present constellation.
- In all three cases everything is put on political stand-by.

Last edited:
Thanks Muhler - if I am not a slow thinker that means that the PM & Frederik have already spoken, right?

Where would that talk/signature have happened?

Thanks Muhler - if I am not a slow thinker that means that the PM & Frederik have already spoken, right?

Where would that talk/signature have happened?

You are welcome. :)

That's right. They must have met around 09.00 or 10.00 today. And it's likely it would have taken place at Christiansborg (very likely as the PM would have been able to sneak from the PM's office unseen) or Amalienborg (in that case most likely in M&F's home - and for the first time).

If it is correct that Frederik is still Regent, it will be the first time he has called a general election, albeit on behalf of QMII.

Yesterday evening, August 28, Crown Prince Frederik hosted a dinner for the Baltic foreign ministers
on the occasion of 20-years for the Baltic countries' restoration of independence at Frederik VIII's
Palace, Amalienborg.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** sn.dk gallery **

Yesterday evening, August 28, Crown Prince Frederik hosted a dinner for the Baltic foreign ministers
on the occasion of 20-years for the Baltic countries' restoration of independence at Frederik VIII's
Palace, Amalienborg.

I love seeing the backdrop of the refurbished palace!

Palace, Amalienborg.

Thank you for the pictures :flowers:. The palace looks quite lovely (really loving the dark blue drapes), and Frederik looks quite dashing in that suit ;).

Frederik has been intererviewed in the magazine Ud & Se, published by DSB, the Danish State Railroads.

Frederik vil være frivillig - TV 2 Vip

In here he express a wish to serve as a volunteer reliefworker somewhere abroad for three weeks or so. As he sometimes would like to step out of the "royal box" and do something different.
However he realise that as a father of small children that will hardly practical for at least ten years.
- And in ten years time he may very well be king, in which case he surely hasn't got time.

Perhaps a Danish member can obtain a copy of the mag and tell us if there is anything of interest?

Thanks Muhler, but I think you wrote the gist of the article. But I'll try to get my pretty little hands on it tomorrow- just in case :)

Well, I reckon that - with the increasing amount of kingly and queenly tasks F & M are performing these days, a thing Muhler and I agree upon - perhaps he is running out ot time...
though, it would be wonderful to see him working as a voluntar reliefworking. perhaps when the twins start kindergarten?
IMO, he would be quite well suited to this kind of work, as his military service as a fgoman would suggest.

Today, September 1st, Crown Prince Frederik has attended the inauguration of
the new sludge incinerator of Refshaleøen near Copenhagen.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** sn.dk gallery **

Crown Prince Frederik attended the opening of the Copenhagen Design Week
2011 at the Danish Design Center in Copenhagen on September 2, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Crown Prince Frederik attends as patron of the Danish Design Centre, the official opening of Copenhagen Design Week 2011. September 02, 2011

PPE Agency

It's Thursday and Billed Bladet has hit the streets.

It's also general election day in DK and we will learn late tonight whether we are going to have a new government or not. - More on that in a day or two under the thread regarding audiences and protocol.

Mary visited a high school (gymnasium) in Aarhus and was cheered. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...rt-19-september-2010-a-28753.html#post1316572

John Donaldson turned 70 recently. Alas, none of his children could come.

Countess Alexandra and her Martin was at a birthday party in Marocco, with the jet setters of Copenhagen.

Frederik hosted a dinner for the Baltic foreign ministers in the dining hall of his home at Amalienborg. There will be many more such dinners in the decades to come.

We get some info about the pants Mary wore in Legoland a month or so ago. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...rt-13-august-30-2011-a-31800.html#post1316611

We have a detailed account of the state visit to Russia. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ptember-6th-9th-2011-a-31165.html#post1316564

And this:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #37, 2011.
Frederik hjælper i Afrika - Frederik lends a hand in Africa.
Written by Trine Larsen.

I must admit that I've completely missed this, but Frederik went for three days to Mozambique in order to put some focus on the national fundraiser by Red Cross, to be held on the 2. October.

To be precise, Frederik spend three days in a village 700 kilometres from the capital city of Mozambique, Maputo. Here he, his entourage and the journalists lived rough, in tents. Dinner was prepared over a fire and the shower, was basically a bucket of water behind some straw mats.
He worked for those three days in the fields, mainly with the women, because in large parts of Africa, it's the women, who makes the wheels turn - or they wouldn't turn at all....
Frederik said: "I'm actually very fond of getting out and feel the nature and see how others live. I'm fine with being sweaty and dirty and I can easily deal with not knowing where I step if I have to go to the toilet after dark.
And it also makes a lot more sense to live like this, than in a fancy hotel, when you are out here to meet poor people, who each day struggle just to survive".

As is typical of Frederik he quickly established a good rapport with the locals due to his easygoing and relaxed manner. Even though some of them had problems realising that he really is a genuine prince and that he really is going to become king one day.

In a place with no TV, you provide your own entertainment at night and that includes telling your story, so did Frederik:
"My mother is Queen in Denmark. I'm her oldest son and I only have one brother, but on the other hand I have four children and the two youngest are twins". Leading to loud cheering from the villagers!

They also listened to Frederik telling about the cold Danish winter weather, trekking by sledge in Greenland.
That led to the locals inviting him to stay here in warmer surroundings. Frederik responded with a hearty but shy laughter.

The reporter Trine Larsen asked: Does aide help at all?
Frederik: "That's a good question because it can seem unmanageble/unaccomplishable/chaotic. But I'm in no doubt at all. Certainly not when one has been here and seen it all with one's own eyes. Every Crown (DKK) helps, every helping hand".

Frederik has often discussed aide with Ellen Hillingsøe, a good freind, who is very dedicated in regards to aide to developing countries.
He added: "One is not least impressed by the strength of the women. they are the ones who makes the wheels turn".

He also mentioned that he, as a father of four, cannot help being deeply affected by seeing children suffering: "As a father I can sometimes dispair. But in the midst of all that, there is also hope and that's what we must focus on. It's the hope for a better future for these people, that shall make us contribute with as much as we can and I think it's positive to see how big a significance Red Cross has for many people here. Not because they recieve relief aide, but because they get help to help themselves. Red Cross teach them to farm the land and improve their houses so that they can better withstand cyclones. And they teach them about hygiene and health. That's uplifting.
These people have nothing - but they have hope, will and pride".

BB promise an interview with Frederik in the next issue.

Last edited:
It's Thursday and Billed Bladet has hit the streets.
Countess Alexandra and her Martin was at a birthday party in Marocco,
with the jet setters of Copenhagen.

There's a twist to this story I'd like to elaborate on:):

The party in Marocco was celebrating the 40th birthday of the female
half of a noble couple who are friends of Fred and Mary. About 80
guests were whisked off in a chartered jet for a three- day celebration.
The piece mentions that the crown princely couple was invited! CP
Frederik was uable to attend due to the visit to Russia whereas CP
Mary had accepted the invitation.
She made a last minute cancellation though, for reasons not revealed.

IMO a wise decision - whatever the reason! The last thing the DRF
needs right now considering the recession and the political climate is
another report of our younger royals living it up as jet-setters!

viv

Translation of article in Billed Bladet #38, 2011.
Jeg kan se hjælpen nytter – I can see the aide makes a difference.
Well written by Trine Larsen.
http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelig...rview med Frederik i Afrika laes det her.aspx

We’ve been up since 04.00 in order to be ready to leave before sunup. It’s still so dark that you really can’t see your own hands. A small kerosene lamp dangling in a tree some distance away from the tent is the only directional guide for the place where you can wash yourself a bit with water from a dipper.
Here the Crown Prince is already standing – wide-awake, you can tell on his voice, because you cannot yet glimpse the smile, due to the darkness. The evening before the Crown Prince used his miner’s lamp to chivalrously light up for those who needed it, just as he willingly shared his mosquito repellant.
It hasn’t amounted to that many hours of sleep, but the Crown Prince is father of twins and in the habit, even though he perhaps this night got more sleep than he is used to. Now he is ready for yet another day, where he with his own eyes can follow the work Red Cross is doing in Mozambique. After having been active for seven-eight hours, several of them on foot across the savanna, the sun is high in the sky. The Crown Prince and your reporter from Billed Bladet get the opportunity to sit in the shade on a mat made of reeds and talk about what we have experienced.
- “It’s the first time I travel for Red Cross and I’m enormously delighted that it succeeded. Off hand it can seem like we just come down here and literally just stir the ground a bit with a stick. But I sense from Red Cross that such a visit is considered of a big significance. Not just right now but also on a longer term basis”, says Crown Prince Frederik who during the busy and packed three day visit also managed to make a couple of spoilers, which can be seen right now on TV and www.billedbladet.dk. They are meant to induce people to volunteer as collectors at the national Red Cross fundraiser the 2nd October.
- “It’s all the experiences we have here, which we must pass on. To friends, family, readers, TV viewers, collectors and contributors. So that they can see it really makes a difference”, says Crown Prince Frederik.
- “Such a visit has repercussions on many levels. Not just among the people we have met, but also because we chose to do the visit this way”, says Frederik and hint at the somewhat un-royal billeting in tent and sleeping bag on the savanna – with no electricity and water and with both dinner and breakfast prepared over a campfire.
Something the Crown Prince is perhaps not quite used to, but an experience, which he appreciates a lot. He actually feels it gives him a sense of peace and freedom.
- “Everybody who is on the trip sense it. Just the fact that you sleep out in the nature. You come completely down to earth… literally. You sense the scents, the sounds and (you) get a really good sense of how people here live. Just to experience how utterly dark it is here…. there really is someone who pull the plug every night (*)”, smiles Frederik.

Q: But can you at all, when sitting safely and comfortably at home in Denmark, imagine what kind of poverty there is down here?
- “No, that’s hard. There is a good deal of want (**)….. And we cannot compare our situation at home with this here. That after all isn’t the purpose either, but having said that, it really is hard to imagine how people down here struggle every day. Struggle to live…. And survive.
I have however seen places and pictures of extreme poverty, which far supercede, what we have seen here in Mozambique. Here there is generally a pride and will to make it. It’s hard working people who deserve to have a future, a better life, for example by farming the land. And that can be difficult considering the quality of the soil. But it’s right here that Red Cross makes a big difference, because they among other things teach people to farm the land and give the seeds to sow”.

- “It’s the women in particular you have to take of your hat for (idiom). Those I’ve met are really cool/tough. They know no other life than this, so they just have to cope…. And most of them have more children than I have”, says Frederik with a deep respect.
Apart from providing food, the women must also walk many kilometers for water, just as they are also exposed to devastating forces of nature – in some periods drought, in others cyclones and flooding.
The population of Mozambique, which is one of the poorest countries in the world, also fights against illnesses like diarrhea, malaria and HIV/aids. Many women provide both for the family, work in the field and give birth to and feed their children alone, because the men have left. Often to find work in the major cities or in the neighboring country South Africa.
- “It is at least positive that the men don’t just hang out and do nothing, as you see elsewhere, but try to earn money for the family. That their self-discipline isn’t always that good is another matter. I hear about many forgetting to send money home to the family. That they run off and establish a new family and leave the old one to cope for itself or that they simply die from aids, without the family being told”, says Crown Prince Frederik, who has just visited a HIV-infected single mother of three, whose husband had vanished some years before.
- “It’s extremely hard to meet such a woman and naturally it makes a deep, deep impression on me. I think perhaps, it’s become a little harder for me after I have become a father myself. And of course I cannot help thinking about my own at home. You simply cannot help it”, says Crown Prince Frederik, who has always shown a good rapport with children when he has been on a journey.
This time however it was obvious that the father-heart was tested several times and several small buds of similar age to the twins of the Crown Prince did get a loving pad on the head or was caressed lovingly on the cheek.
One of the visits of the day was to a Red Cross center where women can give birth and have their children inoculated (***). It’s a far cry from Pink Room at Rigshospitalet, where Frederik’s own little Princes and Princesses were born.
- “Yes, it’s different conditions. But fine conditions for those down here and safe for them to know that there is help to be had, even though Red Cross here in Mozambique mostly provide help for them to help themselves. The help works and provide hope. It’s not that nasty guerilla soldiers come at night and take everything Red Cross hand out during the day, as you see elsewhere. Here the Red Cross helps people to get started, so that they by themselves can move on. And that help, I can clearly see, matters”, says the Crown Prince.

Q: What can you use such a trip for on a personal basis?
- “I really appreciate that I have the opportunity to travel down here and experience it on my own body. That enables me to get a depth (within himself) in what I go around doing in the community/society I’m a part of at home.
But that I think applies to many Danes, because when it comes to donations and helping others, the Danes are fantastic. We can see time and time again that the Danes are more than willing to help, when Red Cross and other organizations ask for help.
That I think is unique and very positive. Both the Crown Princess and I feel a great pleasure in being a part of creating more awareness around such fundraisers”, says Frederik, who as such backed Mary up I her decision in cutting hers and the Crown Prince’s summer cruise with Dannebrog short, so that she could go to Horn of Africa (****) in order to support the national fundraiser a little more than a month ago.

Q: What has made the biggest impression on you (*****) down here in Mozambique?
- “That’s difficult to say. If I have to emphasize something the meeting with Celestania, whom I worked with today has made a big impression on me. She’s standing in a river, in water to her hips and cut reefs, drag them up on the shore in order for them to dry, bundles them up and then walk across the savanna to her home with a bundle on her head, weighing eight-ten kilos. Only then will she have to use a week weaving a reef-mat and then she can drag that on her head to the village and perhaps sell it for 12-14 DKK (less than 3$). That makes an impression and put things in perspective, when the rest of us whimper in our daily lives”, says the Crown Princess and goes on:
- “Of course it was also a tough experience to meet the HIV-infected woman and her three children, of which two were also infected. I’ll never forget such a meeting, but each experience is different and leaves a mark on you”.

(*) Frederik is a devout Christian, but just like the vast majority of Danes, your religion is considered a very private matter and as such he rarely hints at the subject.

(**) Actually “armod” a slightly archaic word for poverty. Used as a more delicate word to speak about poverty. The alternative and current word is “fattigdom”, that word was in some circles considered a little too direct. – An early example of political correctness.

(***) Giving birth is among the biggest killers of women in developing countries. Comparable to the fatality rate in medieval Europe.

(****) I need to ask: Is the Horn of Africa also a geographical concept in English? Or is it only a Scandinavian and German concept?

(*****) Using formal you.

BB is up.

Last edited:
thanks muhler for this extremely interesting (and long!) translation.
I like it that Frederik sounds quite engaged in his trip to Mozambique and in the Red Cross activities there.

** sn.dk gallery 2 ** BB: Frederik til VM i cykelloeb ** ppe gallery **

He sure did, Iceflower :flowers:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #39, 2011.
Frederik til folkefest - Frederik to public party.
Written by Bent Sennenwaldt.

Last week, culminating Sunday, the World Championships in bicycling was held in Copenhagen. That was the biggest sporting event ever hosted in DK, and while the cycle-fanatics were besides themselves with joy, the rest of the residents unfortunate enough to live in Copenhagen or those who had to go to Copenhagen on business, grew grey-haired in their attempt to find a place to park or just a place to drive, because many main roads were blocked.
Not to mention that a number of the main attractions in Copenhagen were undergoing renovation, so no peeking for the tourists.
Surprisingly it ended up being a success.

Anyway, this being a major sporting event Frederik naturaly showed up wearing reddish/lilac "hippie-trousers" :)tongue:) and he was cheered by the spectators when he arrived at Rudersdal, Sunday, for final event of the championships.
250.000 spectators lined the route and 500 million TV viewers saw Mark Cavendish from UK win gold.
An enthusiatic Frederik, who also happens to be patron of Bike City Copenhagen, followed the final race from the VIP stand.
It was also Frederik who handed out the medals.

Alas, the best Dane came in as number eighteen.

Crown Prince Frederik has attended the opening of the conference Global Green Growth Forum in Copenhagen
on 11 October 2011.
The annual two day event brings together some 200 carefully selected global leaders from the sectors of
business, finance and public institutions to engage in in-depth discussions around best practice initiatives,
supportive policies and collaboration opportunities to accelerate green growth.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga gallery ** gettyimages/daylife **

** nyhederne.tv2.dk video: Helle Thorning-Schmidt i arbejdstøjet **

** dr.dk: Kronprinsen opfordrer til klimahandling ** translation **

Last edited:

Crown Prince Frederik has taken part in the Royal Hunt in Valby Hegn this morning, January 9, 2012.
According to the news site he was not in the mood to talk with the press, neither about the hunt
itself nor about Queen Margrethe's coming jubilee ;)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** sn.dk gallery **

Crown Prince Frederik congratulated the Danish Handball National Team that has
won the gold medall at the European Championships in Serbia during a reception
at the City Hall in Copenhagen today, January 30, 2012.

Here are two videos:

** nyhederne.tv2.dk: Frederik til EM-holdet: I gjorde det ** translation **

** dr.dk: Kronprins Frederik: Vil bare sige rigtigt godt gået ** translation **

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** sn.dk gallery ** msn.dk gallery: Frederik fejrede guld-drengene **

Last edited:
Thank you for all your photo/video posting Iceflower.

Amazing crowd there for the handball players.

It was fantastic to see CP Frederik at Copenhagen's City Hall to celebrate the Danish Handball Team for their Gold Medal win in the European Championships. Such a fantastic atmosphere in spite of the cold weather...

I knew CP Frederik would be there. He also attended when they won the gold medal back in 2008 :D

Fantastic handball team!! - fantastic victory :)
I have withdrawal symptoms - need my handball game fix!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom