Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson, Current Events 1: September 2002 - May 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by anna@Nov 11th, 2003 - 2:02 am
As the media already have scrutinized Mary's life for 2 years by now - that piece of work was done long before the official engagement - regarding this royal couple anyway, right ? ;)
Actually when Mary never said a word publically before her engagement, there was little chance for scrutiny. There were also few pictures and little information about her.

So no, we haven't finished with Mary yet. Does she think she can just hide out now? We've just begun following her progress.

I've got to disagree with the little known/ few pics of her. There were quite a few pics of Mary pre-engagement. She was rather visable. Now, she's disappeared.

Could it be that the royal family told the media to back off otherwise they're won't be givien pictures of the wedding?

She's busy learning the ropes and planning a wedding. No need for her to go to the shops, they come to her now.

colourpress.com - Copenhagen, Denmark - Gala-evening at the swedish embassy in Copenhagen at the occasion of the swedish Crown Princess' visit to UNDP in the danish capital. Photo: Klaus Moeller

colourpress.com

colourpress.com

what is the verdict on Mary this time....

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 2,161
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 2,015
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 845
Last edited by a moderator:
I think Mary is really beautiful. The dress... well I don't know, the colour is a bit boring but otherwice I like it. Victorias dress is more "party". She seems to be a bit taller than Victoria. I wonder how tall she is... Victoria is quite short though, about 165 cm. I think Mary is about 170...

But they look like they're having fun and thats the most important thing.

In this picture you can see the dresses very well and you can see the hight differences...

Attachments

• COLOUR10020172.jpg
    COLOUR10020172.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 2,042
Victoria is 1.67 or 1.68m (5´6) tall, so I would say that Mary is 1.70 or 1.71m (5´7)

mary does look beautiful in her outfit. She looks elegant. The beige color suits her well. I love the skirt because of the floral print at the bottom. I've seen a lot of Mary's social event outfits and I really like her style.

I hope that her and victoria can be good friends in the future...
she may find a great friend

I really like Mary's outfit! I hope someone can find another picture that shows it a little better. :flower:

The colour (from these pictures anyway) seems very similar to the one she wore on her engagement day, the dress underneath the coat. I can't decide yet if the colour washes her out because she is so fair or if it compliments her because of her dark hair. But I definitely like the lacy detailing at the bottom and slim ribbon sash.

Originally posted by Alexandria@Nov 13th, 2003 - 6:41 pm
The colour (from these pictures anyway) seems very similar to the one she wore on her engagement day, the dress underneath the coat. I can't decide yet if the colour washes her out because she is so fair or if it compliments her because of her dark hair. But I definitely like the lacy detailing at the bottom and slim ribbon sash.
It is hard to tell the colour, isn't it? In the first picture, it looks like a dusty rose colour. In the others, you are right, it looks very much like the coffee colour of her engagement dress. I hope that the colour of the dress was more rose. It suits her well. :flower:

Mary does come off as being cold and snobbish. She looks like she has a mean streak, but who knows maybe she is good for Fred. He is 35 so if she is not the love of his life, maybe she is the closest that he can get in terms of a girl he gets along with, shares his interest and is suitable to be queen.

While Mary does not emit warmth or kindness like Maxima or Alexandra, she may be a good mate for Fred after all. He seems immature and needs a motherly and controlling wife.

Mary's ensemble is very pretty. I agree that this taupey-rose colour suits her well. Colors in this range really suit brunettes w/ dark eyes and olive skin.

I think her outfit is actually a top and skirt. I say that because if one looks carefully there is a line that seems to be where a top would end. The skirt looks as thought it's either lace at the bottom or beaded or maybe both. It also looks like it has a net overlay. Any of this make sense??

I really, really like her overall look but I think she would look so much more elegant with her hair pulled-back a la' her friend's wedding in AU.

Also, I have checked the other photo agencies and have not found any other photos of Mary at this event.

In the second photo that Josefine posted on the previous page (Mary and Victoria are shaking hands) Mary and Victoria appear to be close to the same height. It could be that Victoria is wearing very high heels and that Mary is wearing low heels so as not to be taller than Fred. Victoria is 5'6" so I am guessing that Mary is closer to 5'8"-5'9".

Julia  Posted: Nov 13th, 2003 - 8:15 pm

this taupey-rose colour suits her well. Colors in this range really suit brunettes w/ dark eyes and olive skin.
I don't know about the olive skin. I think Mary has a challenge with a skin that is, how shall I shall say ... fickle with what colours work well against it.

I think her outfit is actually a top and skirt. ... The skirt looks as thought it's either lace at the bottom or beaded or maybe both.
Agree. The skirt looks to have a nice pattern, and the top is completely different in texture.

I really, really like her overall look but I think she would look so much more elegant with her hair pulled-back
But wouldn't she then look similar to Victoria ?

Besides I like it this way .... Mary has luxuriant hair.

Also with Mary .... this is to me, a cautious beginning of 'colour'. Interesting that it is shades of brown against each other. In time, further adornments to add dabs of colour .... a ramping up to an individual style ?

King Christian  Posted: Nov 13th, 2003 - 8:44 pm
Julia  Posted: Nov 13th, 2003 - 8:15 pm
I think her outfit is actually a top and skirt. ... The skirt looks as thought it's either lace at the bottom or beaded or maybe both.
Agree. The skirt looks to have a nice pattern, and the top is completely different in texture.
And here's justification ....

Attachments

• mary2.jpeg
    mary2.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 2,062
Wow! Mary looks great in that outfit (and colour). Think this is the best look for her so far..

I also think Mary has a limited palette to work with because of her coloring. The beige/cream/brown colors she wore both here and to the engagement conference suit her the best. She also once wore an olive green dress to some race with Frederik that looked pretty well on her. Anyone remember that one?

But the bright colors she's often chosen for her evening gowns -- deep bright blue, emerald green, and tangerine orange -- clash with her hair and skin horribly. She should try to avoid jewel tones in the future; they suit her future sister-in-law better than they suit her. I don't know why that is, because Alexandra to me looks pretty similar in coloring. Maybe it's because Alexandra is so petite that the colors aren't overwhelming.

Mary must be pretty tall! She's nearly as tall as her fiance when she wears heels.

I do like this look on her. It's soft and pretty.

Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 13th, 2003 - 7:44 pm

Besides I like it this way .... Mary has luxuriant hair.
Agreed. Mary has luxuriant hair but I guess I am a stickler for updo's at semi-formal and formal events. I always think of what I call a "half-pony tale" as being soft, sweet and informal but that's just me. If she wore her hair up she could wear some spectacular earrings. :p

I do have to say that Mary has fairly light olive skin. If you compare her to Fred (he's got a lot of pink in his skin) she's got quite a bit of yellow in her skin (this is not a bad thing, btw). I think that these earthy tones suit her to a T and create a really wonderful contrast w/ her coloring.

Her make-up is still in the works but I think she would look glorious in earthy-toned eyeshadows and just a tad of liner. She's got great eyelashes and doesn't need to over do the eye make-up. How many women would love to get up in the morning and just have to look in the mirror and curl their lashes instead of having to do the whole mascara thing (I have to wear mascara being a dark blond and I hate it)! I think she could wear some stunning nude lip colors from Chanel and some soft glosses from Stila and Guerlain. To me she looks best in natural, nude tones.

BTW, this is my favorite look so far. She looks marvelous and very pretty. I hope she follows this theory of fashion -- simple, understated colors= stunning!

The persons present during the event were Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark and his fiancee Mary Donaldson together with the Swedish ambassador to Denmark Carl-Magnus Hyltenius and his wife.

They attended a gala-concert at the Swedish Embassy in Copenhagen last night. Crown Princess Victioria spends two days in Copenhagen for an educational course at the United Nations Developement Programme (UNDP).

i think mary is uncomfortable with the limelight and attention. If u look at the recently posted photos of her in Mary-from Start To Today, post cronologically , she looks so happy and different from what she appears to be in formal events which we have seen so far. I used to think she was snobbish and was after the crown but having looked at those pictures, I have a different view of her.

By the way, we agreed that she was wearing a blouse and a skirt for the recent visit by Victoria. The skirt appears to be the one that she wore when she was out with the prince to somewhere.. sorry.. i don't know where but u could have a look at the skirt . It's at the 5th posting in Mary-from Start To Today, post cronologically.

Originally posted by andiemac@Nov 14th, 2003 - 8:37 am
By the way, we agreed that she was wearing a blouse and a skirt for the recent visit by Victoria. The skirt appears to be the one that she wore when she was out with the prince to somewhere.. sorry.. i don't know where but u could have a look at the skirt . It's at the 5th posting in Mary-from Start To Today, post cronologically.
Good eye! I was just looking at the Mary chronilogical pictures thread and I think you are very right about the skirt being from a wedding she and Frederik attended previously. It was the infamous "belly-showing" outfit, where she wore a tank top that slightly showed her belly when some wind blew her top up.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,942
isn't the "belly-showing top" the first picture posted in Mary Donaldson, News and Picture Thread II ?? sorry, i tried uploading the picture here but not being successful.

Polfoto 13-11-2003 Flankeret af sine to sikkerhedsvagter ankom Sveriges kronprinsesse Victoria til Den Svenske Ambassade i København i aftes. Hun er i landet for at få et introduktionskursus om FN's udviklingsprogram, inden hun rejser videre til Cairo for at deltage i endnu et FN-kursus. Her ankommer Kronprins Frederik med sin forlovede Mary Donaldson. Det er den svenske ambassadør Carl-Magnus Hyltenius der byder parret velkommen.

Polfoto 13-11-2003 Flankeret af sine to sikkerhedsvagter ankom Sveriges kronprinsesse Victoria til Den Svenske Ambassade i København i aftes. Hun er i landet for at få et introduktionskursus om FN's udviklingsprogram, inden hun rejser videre til Cairo for at deltage i endnu et FN-kursus. Her ankommer Kronprins Frederik med sin forlovede Mary Donaldson. Det er den svenske ambassadør Carl-Magnus Hyltenius der byder parret velkommen.

Attachments

• fr_my_1.jpg
    fr_my_1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,665
  • fr0my_1a.jpg
    fr0my_1a.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 798
I think Mary's natural skin tone is very nice, it's just that we can barely see it because of the overdone makeup. I think she looked good in the formal portrait of her on Fred's website (except lipstick too bright). She doesn't need heavy blush to "contour' her cheekbones - she has great cheekbones already, how can she not see that?! I agree w/Julia - natural earth tones would be lovely on her.
Overall, though, at this recent event she looked good (but leave the flyaway coat at home ) .

I agree that the flyaway coat should be left at home, Lady Jean. But overall Mary looked marvelous. I think she's finding her fashion niche.

I also agree that she should stick to the basics with make-up. She doesn't need much. A nude/earth tones palette would be best for her and it would highlight her natural fresh beauty.

I think in addition to earth tones, Mary would look good in light, pastel colors for her clothes. I can see her wearing dresses that are pastel shades of blue, pink, green, and yellow. These shades would not overwhelm her and would make her skin look radiant.

Originally posted by bramair@Nov 15th, 2003 - 1:17 pm
I think in addition to earth tones, Mary would look good in light, pastel colors for her clothes. I can see her wearing dresses that are pastel shades of blue, pink, green, and yellow. These shades would not overwhelm her and would make her skin look radiant.
Very good point! I think pastels would suit Mary very nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom