Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 6: January-October 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding immediate engagements for the couple, Mary is cleared, except for the CIFF, for the month of August. Frederik is regent from the 6-31 and has limited events this month.

This is a misunderstanding of things. The calendars are not updated for the whole month at the Danish Royals' official websites. They are only updated week by week. So we have no idea what the schedule is for August, apart from the first few days and the regency.

There is no indication until the next calendar update, whether the Crown Princess will still be on maternity leave.
I don't dispute that we know of other upcoming events through press releases. I am just saying that for AUGUST the official calendar entries are not added yet, and they will only appear one week at a time.

Last edited:
Somebody will probably get mad at me too, but I guess Fred does a lot of sailing, and its seems like that is considered an official duty.
I am not mad at you, but why are you saying that it's considered an official duty? Official duties are on their calendar, and do you see any sailing on his calendar ? That is his private hobby, so it is not on the official calendar, just like that when Mary goes out horse riding or goes to Milan to see a Prada fashion show, it's not on their calendar. :flowers:

I am not mad at you, but why are you saying that it's considered an official duty? Official duties are on their calendar, and do you see any sailing on his calendar ? That is his private hobby, so it is not on the official calendar, just like that when Mary goes out horse riding or goes to Milan to see a Prada fashion show, it's not on their calendar. :flowers:

I read this in the forums, I will see if I can find the post. It had something to do with his sailing creating interest. Anyways, we don't know that Mary spends a lot of time horse riding or in fashion shows but it does seem that Fred is always off somewhere, sailing.

This is a misunderstanding of things. The calendars are not updated for the whole month at the Danish Royals' official websites. They are only updated week by week. So we have no idea what the schedule is for August, apart from the first few days and the regency.

There is no indication until the next calendar update, whether the Crown Princess will still be on maternity leave.

Sorry, but there is no misundersatnding at all.

I have a copy of Malene Birger's NYFW information in which it specifically notes, "...and in September during New York Fashion week, attended by Crown Princess Mary of Denmark..." To see her past collection please click here

Second, Mary usually attends the CIFF under low key circumstances (meaning without the press knowing) since she is a key patron for these events. It's not unusal for her to be there without anyone knowing. She takes great pride in her charities and the CIFF is no different.

Third, I have it on good authority (and it has been discussed on another board) that the Crown Prince couple will be in NYC this September to promote Danish exports via Creative Nations. Furthermore, he is supposed to give a speech on Sept 20.

Of course things could change, but this latter information comes from a very reliable source and has always been honest and truthful when it comes to the engagements of the Crown Prince couple.

Fourth, I read Danish and since it is I who updates the calender, I do know they have the calender "set" for each month.

Of course they add and take away events if a particular member must cancel (or whatever), but the calender is always set three to four days prior to the next month.

To conclude, you are wrong on a lot of things. However, Mary and/or Frederik could bow out of any of their engagements at the last minute.

:)

I read this in the forums, I will see if I can find the post. It had something to do with his sailing creating interest. Anyways, we don't know that Mary spends a lot of time horse riding or in fashion shows but it does seem that Fred is always off somewhere, sailing.

Sailing has always been a very important part of Danish tourism industry. When the former communist countrys at the Baltic sea became parts of the EU, they started numerous improvements to their marinas and sailing possibilities for tourists. Thus it is very important for Denmark to be seen as "the country" at the Baltic Sea for sailng. The Crown Prince and his sailing activities is a very important ambassador and PR-attractor for Denmark, which saved a lot of jobs and businesses in the coastal regions when the fishing industry went down by exploring sailing as alternative business venture. Sailing is not only fun, for Denmark it means business.

Sailing has always been a very important part of Danish tourism industry. When the former communist countrys at the Baltic sea became parts of the EU, they started numerous improvements to their marinas and sailing possibilities for tourists. Thus it is very important for Denmark to be seen as "the country" at the Baltic Sea for sailng. The Crown Prince and his sailing activities is a very important ambassador and PR-attractor for Denmark, which saved a lot of jobs and businesses in the coastal regions when the fishing industry went down by exploring sailing as alternative business venture. Sailing is not only fun, for Denmark it means business.

Fred should hire you as his PR secretary. ;) Are you saying that rich people - let's face it, it's a rich men's sport - around the world would be more likely to sail their private yatchs to Denmark because the Danish crown prince sails in some competitions and finish usually at the bottom of the list and that somehow enhances Denmark's reputation around the world as a sailing country?

Fred should hire you as his PR secretary. ;) Are you saying that rich people - let's face it, it's a rich men's sport - around the world would be more likely to sail their private yatchs to Denmark because the Danish crown prince sails in some competitions and finish usually at the bottom of the list and that somehow enhances Denmark's reputation around the world as a sailing country?

Sailing is by no means only a rich man's sport. A boat for up to four people cost a renting price of 50 EUR a day, a boat for up to 8 people 85 EUR a day when you sail on the various lakes in Germany. A trailer parking space and usage of a slipping place is available from 300 EUR the season. So this is really affordable and these are the people who spent a week or two at the Baltic Sea to go sailing in open waters (the North Sea is much rougher and tougher, here people prefer the Dutch Isselmeer, kind of gigantic laguna connected to the North Sea). I just checked - you may rent a yacht for up to 8 people (3 cabins) for a week at the Baltic Sea from 1,200 EUR. Try to find a beach hotel in that area to beat this price per person per night!! The charter agency who offers this price offers up to 2.100 yachts in the Baltic Sea alone! And there are myriads of charter businesses. This is big business.

From the northern German ports on the Baltic Sea (Heiligenhafen, Kiel, Flensburg) they can sail up to Denmark or they decide on going east to the New Federal States of Germany (Former East-Germany), Poland, Latvia etc. Thus it is a tough fight for these sailing tourists between the countries bordering the Baltic Sea and anything which hightens the attraction of Denmark will be appreciated in the country itself, even if not by foreigners who don't sail.

Last edited:
because the Danish crown prince sails in some competitions and finish usually at the bottom of the list and that somehow enhances Denmark's reputation around the world as a sailing country?

Yeah sure Crown Prince Frederik is such a bad sailor. Some of his sailing buddies are multible world champions. They compete in every race thats available. If Fredeik would go sailing so often he would be crucified by the same people who now wants to call him a bad sailor. Hm think he is crucified allready :bang:.

Btw. Google, Crown Prince Frederik and sailing would help to judge Frederiks sailing abilities. The Farr 40 class exists since 10 years. Frederik sails a Farr 40 boat for 3 years.

The last results.

5 - 8 July 2007 - Hankø, Norway
Nanoq place 16 out of 27

12 -14 July 2007 - Skagen, Denmark
NANOQ place 6 out of 23.

Before he participated in the Farr 40 series he was a world class sailor in the Dragon Class.

"Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark ended in fourth place at the European Championship Dragon Class (sailing) in Kinsale, Ireland. The Crown Prince and his crew had been leading after four out of six races. 51 boats participated." - This was in 2003, of course maybe my standard isn't high enough to call someone world class.....

Well, I see it this way - whether or not he is doing this as part of his duties or as part of a past time, every person is entitled to their hobbies. I imagine that not every single sailing expidition is noted. He is a person, and CP or not, he is entitled to down time.

May I ask a question, quite possibly I should know the answer. But I just haven't been able to keep up like usual lately. But I noticed it was said that Fred will be regent from Aug. 6-31. May I ask where the Queen will be? Also about Mary attending fashion week in NYC, does she normally attend or is she just going in supprt of the specific designer mentioned in the link from Glittering Tiaras post(#165)? So sorry for the questions I just feel a little lost lately with keeping up with all the RF's.

Last edited:
May I ask a question, quite possibly I should know the answer. But I just haven't been able to keep up like usual lately. But I noticed it was said that Fred will be regent from Aug. 6-31. May I ask where the Queen will be? Also about Mary attending fashion week in NYC, does she normally attend or is she just going in supprt of the specific designer mentioned in the link from Glittering Tiaras post(#165)? So sorry for the questions I just feel a little lost lately with keeping up with all the RF's.

I believe Mary is going to support Malene specifically. I've never heard of her appearing at NY fashion week before, but I'm sure many designers would be open to having her attend their shows, as she would be a wonderful representative for any brand,

Yes, Mary is going as represenative of Danish Fashion which she is patron. She wears many Marlene Birger designs and is supporting a Dane's debut. Perfectly approriate.

The Queen and Prince Consort will be on vacation in France.

Plus, I'd just like to remind again that just because they don't have something listed on their calendar doesn't mean they are not working. Even Alexandra's secretary said they had to inform the press of some engagements b/c they were not on her calendar and people thought she wasn't earning her keep. Mary visited the swimming federation of which she was patron and no one knew until the organization posted a picture on a website. There was no press etc. Plus, all the behind the scenes work. I think there is much more to being royal than we see.

I don't think we can judge Freds sailing ability. Is he the only one on the boat? Doesn't a group of people sail it?

Yes, Mary is going as represenative of Danish Fashion which she is patron. She wears many Marlene Birger designs and is supporting a Dane's debut. Perfectly approriate.

The Queen and Prince Consort will be on vacation in France.

Plus, I'd just like to remind again that just because they don't have something listed on their calendar doesn't mean they are not working. Even Alexandra's secretary said they had to inform the press of some engagements b/c they were not on her calendar and people thought she wasn't earning her keep. Mary visited the swimming federation of which she was patron and no one knew until the organization posted a picture on a website. There was no press etc. Plus, all the behind the scenes work. I think there is much more to being royal than we see.

I don't think we can judge Freds sailing ability. Is he the only one on the boat? Doesn't a group of people sail it?

Excellent point! There is a lot of "prep" work that comes with royal duties even though it might just seem like all they have to do is show up and look fabulous. It's not the same as say brain surgery, but it is a different kind of work and I respect it.

Well said. I get tired of people bashing Fred and Mary (or any other royal for that matter) for not working hard enough. You shouldn't rely on a calender for all their events. And they work plenty hard. They have 50 patronages (exaggerated not THAT many but still a good deal) that are holding events one week, and they have to attend most of those, or they have official or state visits to attend to, or travel to three or four countries in the matter of one week (imagine the jet lag they must feel!:eek:). This doesn't count having to take care of two small children under the age of two. They need time to relax and unwind with vacation or hobbies.

Yeah sure Crown Prince Frederik is such a bad sailor. Some of his sailing buddies are multible world champions. They compete in every race thats available. If Fredeik would go sailing so often he would be crucified by the same people who now wants to call him a bad sailor. Hm think he is crucified allready :bang:.

Btw. Google, Crown Prince Frederik and sailing would help to judge Frederiks sailing abilities. The Farr 40 class exists since 10 years. Frederik sails a Farr 40 boat for 3 years.

The last results.

5 - 8 July 2007 - Hankø, Norway
Nanoq place 16 out of 27

12 -14 July 2007 - Skagen, Denmark
NANOQ place 6 out of 23.

Before he participated in the Farr 40 series he was a world class sailor in the Dragon Class.

"Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark ended in fourth place at the European Championship Dragon Class (sailing) in Kinsale, Ireland. The Crown Prince and his crew had been leading after four out of six races. 51 boats participated." - This was in 2003, of course maybe my standard isn't high enough to call someone world class.....

Hey, Fred was the one who wants to list sailing as his "official activities". Otherwise, I wouldn't care whether he finishes last or first. Even with the list you posted, Fred is middle brew, hardly world champion material. And I still need some proof that says Fred's participation in sailing somehow INCREASES Denmark's sailing revenue. I'd imagine Denmark ports should do well due to its geographic location, not whether Fred sails or not.

Sure, he can pick up whatever hobby he wants but he indulges his hobby so much that he has to list sailings as his official activities to avoid criticism. It's stretching credibility way too much.

Well said. I get tired of people bashing Fred and Mary (or any other royal for that matter) for not working hard enough. You shouldn't rely on a calender for all their events. And they work plenty hard. They have 50 patronages (exaggerated not THAT many but still a good deal) that are holding events one week, and they have to attend most of those, or they have official or state visits to attend to, or travel to three or four countries in the matter of one week (imagine the jet lag they must feel!:eek:). This doesn't count having to take care of two small children under the age of two. They need time to relax and unwind with vacation or hobbies.

They are not the only royals who have to do prep work or behind the scene work. Funny, somehow, other royals manage to have a fuller schedule on calendar than they do.

And Fred and Mary "travel to three or four countries in the matter of one week"? When did they do that? Which countries did they go? I don't recall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a reminder that this is a current events thread. If you wish to discuss Frederik's sailing agenda and official schedule, please do so in the Work Schedule thread. Otherwise, stay on topic.

Thanks,

Mandy
Danish Forum Moderator

... but the calender is always set three to four days prior to the next month.

The official calendar at kronrinsparret.dk really is updated each week, on Wednesday night/Thursday morning at midnight Central European Time. It usually shows events for the two weeks in advance. Kongehuset.dk updates it's calendar on Fridays.

Over the next couple of months, watch carefully at these sources and you will see that I am right (unless they completely change what they have been doing for the last few years).

That was the only thing I disputed. Of course we know of more upcoming events through the media and other sources, but they only appear on the official calendars about two weeks in advance.

The reason I brought this up was not to cause trouble, but to address the fact that many people jump to conclusions based on a look at the calendar before the events are added.

In peace
Freye

Last edited:
"Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras
Regarding immediate engagements for the couple, Mary is cleared, except for the CIFF, for the month of August. Frederik is regent from the 6-31 and has limited events this month."

I don't dispute that we know of other upcoming events through press releases. I am just saying that for AUGUST the official calendar entries are not added yet, and they will only appear one week at a time.

Glittering Tiara
Second, Mary usually attends the CIFF under low key circumstances (meaning without the press knowing) since she is a key patron for these events. It's not unusal for her to be there without anyone knowing. She takes great pride in her charities and the CIFF is no different.
Fourth, I read Danish and since it is I who updates the calender, I do know they have the calender "set" for each month.
I am sorry, Glittering Tiara, I appreciate your work with the calendar but actually Freye is right. The calendar is never set for a whole month but always for 2 weeks in advance and therefore there are updates every week.
At the moment you can only see the engagements up to 8 August (and the regency for the whole month - and this is because it starts on the 6th).
The CIFF is not on the official calendar yet and we will only know "officially" whether Mary attends or not on Thursday when the calendar is updated for the week 8-15 August.

We don't know yet whether Mary is cleared for the month August and we don't know whether Frederik has limited events because only the events up to 8 August are listed yet.
Frederik is regent in August every year (because his mother is in France) and, stepping in for the queen, he usually has more to do than in other months. Mary used to be quite busy in August as well, it may be different this year because of her maternity leave.

And Mary works with all her patronages under low key circumstances, meaning attending work meetings which are not on the official calendar.
But attending and opening the Copenhagen International Fashion Fair twice a year never has been a low key event, the press always knew and there were tons of pictures taken. Actually whenever an article about Mary's "love" for fashion and shopping appears it is usually accompanied by pictures showing her attending the CIFF (which is work and not hobby).

The Queen is in France every August, Frederik is Regent every August.
Mary has never attended NY fashion week before and I am not sure yet whether she will this year.
As far as I understand Frederik and Mary will be in NY in September for a "Creative Nation" tour (an initiative of Danish Industries) and perhaps she will promote Danish fashion (and in specific Malene Birger) in connection with this visit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Such a lovely couple. Thanks for the lovely photos, and lovely to see!!!

On thebike to the horses what a normal couple !! very nice pictures !!!!

:lol: Nice article, but take it with a grain of salt and laugh. There's no need to get into a frenzy about it which some of you probably will.

I see what you mean it is a little silly sounding! That part about how they avoid each other at all cost, that sounds like gossip hounds just trying to get something going. It doesn't seem to make much sense to me that either Mary or Marie would act that way.

Re: Post # 189 and the link to the Womans Day article... :ermm: I'm an Aussie and trust me, Womans Day is not even worthy of wrapping your fish and chips in!! :lol:

Last edited:
Re: Post # 189 and the link to the Womans Day article... :ermm: I'm an Aussie and trust me, Womans Day is not even worthy of wrapping your fish and chips in!! :lol:

I agree, Did't they also try to claim that Mary and Alexandra were at odds with each other? :ermm:

If Womans Day and other similar tabloids had their way, everyone would be an someones enemy.

Thanks for posting the pictures of them on horses. Mary & Frederil looked great and enjoying a great sunny day. It was good to see them having so much fun on the bikes heading back to the palace/castle after their ride.
Has Mary been riding for sometime now or has she taken up the sport when marrying Frederik? Im looking forward to the day Frederik & Mary will ride with their children

Beautiful photos of Mary and Frederik they horseriding and on the byclicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom