Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 3: Oct. 2004 - May 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USCtrojan

Royal Highness
City
Phoenix
Country
United States
The other thread was rather long. Here is a new thread. Post away!

Last edited by a moderator:
In the paper edition of BT October 12th, Karin Schmidt quotes the Crown Prince: "Mary is fine. Other wise, I wouldn't have been here" (in Saint-Tropez).

:)

I just read in an Australian newspaper that there was a headline in Denmark:

"Mary's Birth: It was a gallstone" - ha ha!

I wonder what they will call The Royal Gallstone?!! Hee hee!!

The thing is, I'm not dure if it's true or not, because I couldn't find anything else, not even on the Danish Royal House website!!

The surgeon who operated her for gallstone said she wasn't pregnant. In fact he said there was a negative pregnancy test. Other surgeons who have spoken out in the media says that they prefer to avoid the operation if the woman is pregnant, because of the heavy drugs that may affect the baby.

So, unless it is posted on the royal website, I'd assume she isn't. At least for now.

oh poor thing, i have a friend who suffered badly from gallstone and he said it was hell. Poor thing, she must have been in a lot of pain, but well done to her to still be in the public eye.

it depends how they did the surgery, sometimes they just do a local anasthetic and they zap them with a laser

is it only me that thinks this is a cover-up for a miscarrige. This was the first thing that got into my mind. (sorry for my bad english).

Betina

I don´t think that it was a cover-up...what´s the problem to announce a miscarriage? Many women have one (or more), but this doesn´t mean, that they can´t get children in the future.
Surely it would be hurtful for a mother, who has lost her embryo/fetus, when the media would talk about it, but I can´t imagine that the Royal court would invent a gall stone operation to cover it...wouldn´t there be a too great danger that it would leak out (?)

betina said:
is it only me that thinks this is a cover-up for a miscarrige. This was the first thing that got into my mind. (sorry for my bad english).

Betina
i think if it was a miscarriage they would say, alot of women have a miscarriage in their 1st pregnancy, there is nothing wrong with it.
i dont think they would make up a lie like that, they would then have said she was unwell

betina said:

Betina
I am sorry Betina but I think you should be ashamed - that is speculation of the most damaging type. If she has had a mscarriage and chooses to keep it private we should respect that, and if she hasn't to even raise the suggestion is offensive, especially on such little evidence. When you have a miscarriage it is a very personal decision about who you tell, and given the speculation as to her "fertility" I can imagine suggestions that she is unable to carry a baby to term would only be hurtful

Napoleon said:
I am sorry Betina but I think you should be ashamed - that is speculation of the most damaging type. If she has had a mscarriage and chooses to keep it private we should respect that, and if she hasn't to even raise the suggestion is offensive, especially on such little evidence. When you have a miscarriage it is a very personal decision about who you tell, and given the speculation as to her "fertility" I can imagine suggestions that she is unable to carry a baby to term would only be hurtful
I agree. The comments were very insensitive and offensive.

I didn't take it as offensive and inappropriate. It's a normal human response to think of alternatives and it wasn't as if betina was saying that she wanted her speculation to be true...And you never know with royals, anyway. They have reasons for keeping things in the dark and sometimes honesty is not the best policy. Speculation is purely that. Speculation, until there is confirmation to the contrary or affirmative. I don't think it's wrong to think of other possible reasons since we don't know either way anyway.

Crown Princess Mary's recent surgery

I read today that the entire gall bladder had been removed to prevent any more problems. Another article stated that all those pregancy speculations had been scuttled by the revelation of the gall bladder surgery.

I am happy that Crown Princess Mary is doing well and wish her a speedy recovery. As to the pregancy speculations, if and when it she does actually become pregrant, I'm sure that the public will be duly informed. Speculation only stirs up gossip and trouble. I feel that that magazine that started it should have ended it by saying their speculations were unfounded and wish the Crown Princess well during her recovery from surgery.

Moonlightrhapsody said:
I didn't take it as offensive and inappropriate. It's a normal human response to think of alternatives and it wasn't as if betina was saying that she wanted her speculation to be true...And you never know with royals, anyway. They have reasons for keeping things in the dark and sometimes honesty is not the best policy. Speculation is purely that. Speculation, until there is confirmation to the contrary or affirmative. I don't think it's wrong to think of other possible reasons since we don't know either way anyway.
I would tend to agree. I also think that if the Royal House came out and announced a miscarraige, speculation about Mary's ability to "produce a healthy heir" would begin, causing only more stress for the Crown Princess in what has to be an already high stress situation. Miscarriages do happen, and I think I could understand why the Royal family would chose to keep it quiet, if that is indeed what happened. However I also agree that speculating on whether the surgery story is a cover-up is not helping matters any. I personally think if it were a miscarraige the family wouldn't have said anything. The rumors weren't anything that was hurting anyone. I think Mary probably did have gallstone surgery, as it seems the story is rather silly to make up. The surgery would cause concern for the peoples "Crown Princess's" health, not something the Danish Royal Family would do, in my opinion.

We definitely don't think that the surgery was made up - we think that if it was a miscariage, they would tell the people or just don't tell anything!!!! At least they would find a more natural explanation, and not a gallstone operation!!

And we don't think that the Danish people would start wondering about Mary's health - we think that she would have the people concerns and that everyone would support her and so, not start a "discussion" about it!

mgrant said:
I read today that the entire gall bladder had been removed to prevent any more problems. Another article stated that all those pregancy speculations had been scuttled by the revelation of the gall bladder surgery.

I am happy that Crown Princess Mary is doing well and wish her a speedy recovery. As to the pregancy speculations, if and when it she does actually become pregrant, I'm sure that the public will be duly informed. Speculation only stirs up gossip and trouble. I feel that that magazine that started it should have ended it by saying their speculations were unfounded and wish the Crown Princess well during her recovery from surgery.
Very eloquently put, mgrant; I absolutely agree with your comments here.

I think all the rumours do in the end do more harm than good. While Mary is young and of a fertile age, numerous medical studies have proven that any sort and level of stress can make conception more difficult or can be one cause of a miscarriage.

Imagine an entire nation, not to mention not only the Danish media, but the European media, too (and Australian media to some extent) waiting on baited breath for you to announce that you are pregnant -- that's an extreme amount of pressure for someone who is also coping and learning with many new changes in her life. While the joy and celebration when Mary does deliver safely a healthy baby will be wonderful, the pressure on her now must be awful. She's barely been married a year -- not even 6 months a bride yet!

While I wouldn't even begin to compare the 'systems' of the Japanese Imperial family and the Danish monarchy, I do think that there are some lessons that can be learned from what happened with Masako. Some time before having Aiko, Masako miscarried and the blame was placed solely on the Japanese (Asian?) media for all the pressure and speculation that was placed and riding on Masako's pregnancy. The Imperial household confirmed that the stress of the rumours (boy or girl? heir to the Chrysanthemum throne or a girl?) caused Masako undue stress and lead to her miscarriage.

It would be terrible for Mary (for anyone) to have to go through that.

An article from The Australian...

Princess Mary 'not pregnant'
From correspondents in Copenhagen
October 12, 2004

THE surgeon who performed a weekend operation on Crown Princess Mary appears to have dampened rumours that she was pregnant, prompting Danish media to conclude today that a gallstone is really all she had.

Last week, Denmark's largest gossip magazine claimed the 32-year-old Australian-born princess was pregnant and would give birth in March, sparking widespread rumours that a royal baby was on its way only five months after Mary's lavish May 14 marriage to the heir to Denmark's throne, 35-year-old Prince Frederik.

Mary was admitted to a hospital on Sunday, and had a gallstone removed.

Today, the Ekstra Bladet tabloid headlined: "Mary's 'birth:' It was a gallstone."

Chief physician Bo Jacobsen, who performed the brief laparoscopic procedure on Mary, was quoted by Tuesday's B.T. tabloid as saying surgeons avoid removing gallstones from pregnant women. The procedure is done through small incisions in the abdomen.

"An operation can be dangerous for the fetus," Jacobsen was quoted as saying. "In this concrete case, there was a negative pregnancy test."

Jacobsen could not immediately be reached for comment Tuesday.

Following Thursday's report in Denmark's celebrity-oriented magazine Se og Hoer - or See and Hear - Frederik and his parents, Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik, repeatedly have denied knowing anything about Mary being pregnant.

The weekly quoted unidentified sources at Copenhagen's university hospital as saying Mary had been scanned there in early September and concluded she would give birth in March.

That seemed to be news to Frederik.

"Somebody says that I am going to be a daddy," he was quoted as telling B.T., whose reporters interviewed him in southern France on Monday.

"Nothing official has been said yet, so I cannot confirm or deny it," the prince was quoted as saying today. Mary, meanwhile, was expected to be in convalescence from the operation for two weeks.

I feel sorry for Mary. All of a sudden she has to put up with total strangers speculating about everything from her marriage to her illness and pregnancy. While it is completely natural and human to gossip and be nasty, it definately isn't very nice.

Thanks for posting the article Julia - guess they're missing the most important line from the meeting in France.....Frederik also said that "He's always exciting when there's something special coming", which really made the journalists even more curious....

And Humera, it isn't the Danish people who gossips- it was one(!) magazine....the rest of the people is supporting her, not speculating on her health in that way, only that they hope she's getting better!
At least that's what we've understood from everyone around us!

~*~Humera~*~ said:
I feel sorry for Mary. All of a sudden she has to put up with total strangers speculating about everything from her marriage to her illness and pregnancy. While it is completely natural and human to gossip and be nasty, it definately isn't very nice.
I both agree and disagree with you here.

It is unfortunate that Mary's life is now such an open book for everyone and anyone to gossip and speculate about. Were she still plain old Mary Donaldson going about her marketing/real estate or whatever career in Australia, no one but her family would've cared about her gallstone operation. But as the Crown Princess of Denmark, even something as simple as a regular visit to the doctor opens itself to speculation of pregnancy or infertility or whatever.

But on the other hand, Mary knew what she was getting into when she entered into a relationship with a Crown Prince. She could've ended the relationship at any point during the 2+/3 years she and Frederik were dating. During their relationship the press followed her around a lot so she had a taste of what life in the public eye would be like. It's not as if she came about this life unawares of the not so nice parts of it.

Too bad she's not pregnant.
Such a letdown after her gallstone op and the pending divorce plans of her in-laws.

Genevieve said:
I both agree and disagree with you here.

It is unfortunate that Mary's life is now such an open book for everyone and anyone to gossip and speculate about. Were she still plain old Mary Donaldson going about her marketing/real estate or whatever career in Australia, no one but her family would've cared about her gallstone operation. But as the Crown Princess of Denmark, even something as simple as a regular visit to the doctor opens itself to speculation of pregnancy or infertility or whatever.

But on the other hand, Mary knew what she was getting into when she entered into a relationship with a Crown Prince. She could've ended the relationship at any point during the 2+/3 years she and Frederik were dating. During their relationship the press followed her around a lot so she had a taste of what life in the public eye would be like. It's not as if she came about this life unawares of the not so nice parts of it.
well I can understand your point of view. The question is, what is the limit when it comes to speculating/gossiping about the lives of royalty, celebrities etc. Everyone, no matter how famous they are, is entitled to being treated with a modicum of dignity.
In my opinion, once the palace officially announced that Mary had surgery, that is quite enough. There's no need to go on alleging so-called "cover-ups" as some members on this board have done. Thats bordering on paranoia.

It´s royal life

I agree. Mary knew this is what comes with being Crown Princess, so she decided she still wanted to marry Fred, and be scrutinised, instead of being plain Mary, like you and me, who never get to weat those jewels, have a new outift for every event, have to do your own housework, but enjoy the lack of publicity. There are positives and negatives in our very different lives-Mary chose hers, so I don´t feel sorry for her. The rest of us have to be stressed by work and taxes etc, and maybe even for some, stress of not being noticed!

I agree with that, Xandra, but I believe there is a limit, maybe of decency, that all of us shouldn't cross. Gossiping after the facts are clear is plain nasty, I understand Mary chose this life of "limelight" but she still has a private LIFE, which I believe the media has no right to enroach over. All I can say then to the media people is GET A LIFE...:p

Bubbette said:
Then why is she driving?
because her hushand is "Head Shed #2". :)
or, she's really pregnant and they don't want to give the secret away (and accidentally did by having her drive after her "operation").

PDAS1201, you´re right. Limelight is one thing, but digging for dirt is something else.

Bubbette said:
Then why is she driving?
First of all, gallbladder removal or cholecystectomy can be done through a laparoscope so the client has four small incisions with approximately three or less stitches each.

Suture (stitches) removal is not major surgery; it's not even minor surgery. There is no general or local anasthetic involved. It's usually a nursing precedure. It may be a little uncomfortable but it usually requires no sedation.

The client can drive to and from the clinic/hospital for suture removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom