Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 2: May - October 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sarkastik_devil, I agree.

"it's a matter of taste and perception"

The same could be said for the Letizia-Mania, I find Letizia, Sweet and Utterly Average.

Originally posted by lucys@Jun 23rd, 2004 - 7:38 pm
Can someone please explain Mary mania to me? I must confess that I just don't get it. I find her sweet and pretty and utterly average. Please tell me what I am missing!
I thought she was of so-so interest, but then I read the translated interview and was really captivated by their love story, so now I find her much more interesting. Felipe and Letizia's relationship doesn't interest me much.

In general though I think Mary-mania is mostly because now there is a new person on the royal scene to photography and gossip about.

As far as Mary's looks go, I thought she was kind of average but then I watched a biography on her and she seemed to be very popular amongst her male coworkers and classmates (they admired her from afar). So there must be something about Mary.....

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the "Mary mania" I guess i'm part of it! ;)

Actually, when I first heard about the engagement, I wasn't thrilled with Frederik's choice. I thought she was too much the jet-set type to be a proper royal.

But she kind of grew on me. By that time I had never visited a royal forum on the internet, and when I saw, how she was treated somewhere, I think I decided, that I wanted to see the good things in her. I mean, no one, and I mean no one, can deserve the kind of treatment, she has been up to.

In the days prior to the wedding and now on her trip to Greenland she seems to be doing a good job.

Today in the danish weekly magazine, Billed Bladet, there was such a sweet story. An unknown woman in Denmark had made a lace handkerchief for Mary to use on her wedding day. When Mary received it, she send the lady a nice bouquet of flowers. Actually the handkerchief was the one, that Mary ended up useing on her weddingday, to wipe away her tears.

I think this story shows, that Mary is not just a partyloving shopper, but that she also is a very considered person.

Can someone please explain Mary mania to me? I must confess that I just don't get it. I find her sweet and pretty and utterly average. Please tell me what I am missing!
hehe! 'mary mania'... :) nice term
i didn't mean with my comment that i loved her... only that she was nice that night. there were lots of times i didn't like her dresses...

i also agree there is a very huge mania with her... she is nice, but that's all. no special beauty, no special elegance, and she has only attend to one event as cp... i don't know why people from all around the world love her so much.

Thanks for those who tried to answer my question about "Mary-mania". I hope you people who are fans of Mary know that I in no way meant to be mean to her, I'm just curious. Nor did I intend to make any comparison about other princesses--it's just that I can see what characteristics people might be drawn to with many of these women (people who like Maxima tend to like her vivacity; people who like Mathilde tend to like her classic grace and sweet captivating smile; people who like Caroline of Monaco tend to like her elegance and glamour; people who like Letizia tend to like her intelligence and drive; people who loved Diana loved her compassion; etc)

I honestly couldn't tell what characteristic it is about Mary that people who like her like--I haven't been able to decipher that predominate character trait. Does that make sense?

In any case...it's just my opinion, worth no more or less than any other opinion on the board.

I honestly couldn't tell what characteristic it is about Mary that people who like her like--I haven't been able to decipher that predominate character trait. Does that make sense?

I think it's hard to see the reason why others like a person if you yourself don't like that person. Like Maxima... most people love her, but for the most part, I'm always thinking yes she smiles lot, so? But I know its just me not being able to see what others see. And for example, I love Mette Marit's simplicity and how she so adores her husband... but people wouldn't see that and continue to absolutely disparage her.

About Mary... hmmm, I do like her, expecially after reading the interview. I think because I can relate to her. Just her outlook on life, and the questions and doubts that she had, are kind of like mine would probably be if I was in that situation. And for her not to have backed out, and to be doing very well at the moment, makes her admirable to me. And of course I think she looks wonderful... others wouldn't agree (and hence can't see what I see) but I adore her style more than all the other crown princess'.

Now I LIKE Alex a lot... but I can't relate to Alex for a number of reasons, for example, what she has done aren't things that I have done, and she recently said in her recent interview that "I can relate to everyone" and before in another one she said "i try to be perfect" or something. Whereas Mary is more of an "ill try to do my best" kind of thing. Not to offense people of course, but its just the way I think.

I agree with you Jasl 100%.

i like Mary because I can relate to her. I see a lot of myself in her. Although I also like Maxima, I don't like her as much as I do Mary. Maxima had so many opportunites that I could never have had due to my birth/family. Mary and I are very similar in that area. I could see myself as her. I think that is her reason for being liked so much. She is one of us.

Originally posted by Jasl@Jun 24th, 2004 - 11:19 pm

I think it's hard to see the reason why others like a person if you yourself don't like that person. Like Maxima... most people love her, but for the most part, I'm always thinking yes she smiles lot, so? But I know its just me not being able to see what others see. And for example, I love Mette Marit's simplicity and how she so adores her husband... but people wouldn't see that and continue to absolutely disparage her.

About Mary... hmmm, I do like her, expecially after reading the interview. I think because I can relate to her. Just her outlook on life, and the questions and doubts that she had, are kind of like mine would probably be if I was in that situation. And for her not to have backed out, and to be doing very well at the moment, makes her admirable to me. And of course I think she looks wonderful... others wouldn't agree (and hence can't see what I see) but I adore her style more than all the other crown princess'.

Now I LIKE Alex a lot... but I can't relate to Alex for a number of reasons, for example, what she has done aren't things that I have done, and she recently said in her recent interview that "I can relate to everyone" and before in another one she said "i try to be perfect" or something. Whereas Mary is more of an "ill try to do my best" kind of thing. Not to offense people of course, but its just the way I think.
Thanks. Now I understand better.

Jasl  Posted: Jun 24th, 2004 - 9:19 pm
The reason I like Mary (and Mette-Merit even more) is because they are "unassuming". That, and the fact that the "magic carpet ride" has swept them up. :)

I like Mary because I like her...I just DO since i have seen her in the first time.

Originally posted by King Christian@Jun 25th, 2004 - 9:27 pm

The reason I like Mary (and Mette-Merit even more) is because they are "unassuming".
unassuming??
what do you mean?

i don't know why there is that special interest in mary...

I like Mary, because she´s just perfect for the job. It´s not that she´s outstanding in certain fields. But she seems to be able to adapt to these big new challenges and the expectations from the people.
And I like her, because she seems to love Frederik.
And I like her, because I just like types like her ;) (Here I mean all...styling, look= the very dark hair, the olive skin, the way of thinking-the interview book has impressed me very much...)

too bad the interview book isn't out in english yet :(

D.K.H. Kronprinsen og Kronprinsessens kalender

Monday, July 05 - Saturday, July 10, 2004

Mandag 5. juli 2004.
Besøg i Grønland
Besøget i Grønland slutter, og der returneres til Danmark.

Tirsdag 6. juli 2004.
Legatoverrækkelse fra Crown Prince Frederik Fund
H.K.H. Kronprinsen uddeler legater fra "Crown Prince Frederik Fund" i Chr. VIIIs Palæ, Amalienborg.

Onsdag 7. juli 2004.  kl. 12:00
Modtagelse af deputation
Kronprinsparret modtager deputation i Chr. VIII's Palæ, Amalienborg.

Monday, July 5, 2004
Visit in Greenland
Visit in Greenland comes to a close, and return to Denmark.

Tuesday, July 6
___?____ (help - Legatoverrækkelse) from Crown Prince Frederik Foundation
HRH The Crown Prince awards legacies/stipendiums? from the "Crown Prince Frederik Foundation" in Christian VIII's Palace, Amalienborg.

Wednesday, July 7 at 12 noon.
Modtagelse von deputization ??
Crown Prince Couple ?receives? deputations in Christian VIII's Palace, Amalienborg.

I hope, that this helps you, King Christian

Tuesday, July 6
___?____ (help - Legatoverrækkelse) from Crown Prince Frederik Foundation
HRH The Crown Prince awards legacies/stipendiums? from the "Crown Prince Frederik Foundation" in Christian VIII's Palace, Amalienborg.

Presentation of scholarships from "Crown Prince Frederik Fund".
HRH The Crown Prince awards scholarships from the "Crown Prince Frederik Fund" at Christian VIII's Palace, Amalienborg.

Wednesday, July 7 at 12 noon.
Modtagelse von deputization ??
Crown Prince Couple ?receives? deputations in Christian VIII's Palace, Amalienborg.

Reception of a deputation.
The Crown Prince couple receives a deputation at Christian VIII's Palace, Amalienborg.

From www.hkhkronprinsen.dk

The Crown Prince Frederik Fund"

Administered by:

The Denmark-America Foundation and the
Fulbright Commission
Fiolstræde 24, 3
1171 Copenhagen K

General Information
The capital of the foundation comprises funds from a "gift from the citizens" presented to HRH The Crown Prince by the Danish Americans on his 25th birthday, when he was studying at Harvard University.

The purpose of the foundation is to provide financial assistance to students of social policy and sciences, for one year’s study at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard.

Deadline for Applications
Announced by the universities

Application form
Yes

Award presentation
June

Press release (in danish)

Legater fra "Crown Prince Frederik Fund"

Offentliggjort fredag d. 18. juni 2004

Den 6. juli 2004 overrækker Kronprins Frederik for 11. gang legater fra Crown Prince Frederik Fund; den folkegave Kronprinsen fik af dansk-amerikanere til sin 25 års fødselsdag, da han studerede ved Harvard Universitetet.

Fondens formål er at yde økonomisk støtte til studerende indenfor samfundsvidenskaberne til ét års studie ved John F. Kennedy School of Government på Harvard.

I år vil der være to legatmodtagere:

Nikolaj Lomholt Svensson

Overbygningsstuderende ved Aarhus Universitets Institut for Statskundskab. Har i forbindelse med studierne været ansat et halvt år ved den danske FN-delegation i New York, hvor opgaverne primært lå i Sikkerhedsrådets regi.

Kasper Graa Wulff

Statskundskabsstuderende ved Københavns Universitet med fokus på internationale relationer. Sideløbende med studier gennemgås en uddannelse som russisk sprogofficer ved Forsvarsakademiet, som forventes færdiggjort i sommeren 2004.

Amalienborg, den 18. juni 2004

P. Thornit
Hofchef

Der vil ikke være adgang for pressen, men fotos fra legatoverrækkelsen kan fås ved henvendelse til fotograf Steen Brogaard, e-mail: steen@brogaard.com.

I think, the most interesting part for LTR-members is, that their will be no admittance for the press. The photographer Steen Brogaard will be present, though.

So ... quite an honour for the recipient of the scholarship ! ? !

This Danish RF .... I am -- through the Greenland Trip, just completed -- gaining an awed appreciation of Margrethe's "public relations" attitude. Very Good.

Originally posted by King Christian@Jul 6th, 2004 - 2:02 am
So ... quite an honour for the recipient of the scholarship ! ? !
Yes, I would say, it is an honour. You have to be quite smart to get such a scholarship.

I noticed though, that the receivers this year also has some CV-similarities with CPF. One of them has, like Frederik, served at the danish UN-delegation in NY. The other one has, besides his studies at the university, a parallel career within the defence force.

i like to see her pictures again and again...i hope there will be more functions for her to attend...so we can see her new nice dresses :rolleyes:

i like to see her pictures again and again...i hope there will be more functions for her to attend...so we can see her new nice dresses

Nice brown dresses :p :lol: :lol:

Wow - those pictures are incredible! I wish all the pictures were like that for everybody. Where'd they get that technology?

What kind of watch is Mary wearing? It looks quite nice and expensive.

Originally posted by carlota@Jul 9th, 2004 - 5:10 am
does anyone know the name of the wedding waltz they danced? the one that sounds in the 4th photo...
Well, it is actually just called 'Brudevalsen' - 'Bridal Waltz' or 'Waltz of the Bride'. (I found this translation of the titel somewhere on the www).

It is composed by Niels W. Gade as part a ballet by Bournonville: 'Et folkesagn', 'A Folk Tale'.

I found some info on the ballet in english

Info on Niels W. Gade

On August Bournonville in english

It is a bit funny, because when I saw your question, I realized how danish this tradition must be. I never thought of that, even though of course the ballet is danish. But I can tell you, that 'Brudevalsen' is a part of nearly all danish weddings, not just the royal weddings :)

Mary must be one darn smart girl. I remember reading PF used to be the catch of the uppercurst in Europe. I wonder why both P of Denmark married foreingers, and commoners.

Why would not both P appreciate more from their fellow countrygirls? I wonder.

It seems like both went for the opposite attract, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom