Countess Alexandra and Martin Jørgensen, Current Events Part 3: Dec 2009-Sept 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the moment of the divorce the children, both Princes of Denmark, were the number three and four in the line of succession. I can see why the State of Denmark gave a form of apanage to ensure the proper upringing of these two royal princes, but in hindsight it was an arrangement turning into an open invitation to critics.
To ensure the proper upbringing of the two young princes, yes. Until the age of 18 or possibly until the age they have concluded their education, that I can understand. But after that....??

Joachim got the appanage due to the excitement when he married Alexandra.

Alexandra got the appanage due to the headlines about Joachim's drinking and partying with girls at 16 and 17 years of age.

Joachim got the appanage due to the excitement when he married Alexandra.

Alexandra got the appanage due to the headlines about Joachim's drinking and partying with girls at 16 and 17 years of age.

I doubt very much the Parliament decided the economic details regarding the then princess Alexandra based on sensationalist headlines.

It was a novel situation and I think the main concern was to avoid a bitter ex-wife causing trouble and to ensure that a potential heir to the throne was ensured a proper lifestyle to grow up in.

Everything is of course clearer in hindsight. But to grant her an apanage with all sorts of conditions would have been seen as very poor taste back then, especially as the public blamed Joachim for the divorce.

No matter what, there is no way the Parliament is going to strip Alexandra of her apanage, regardless of public opinion. It has been granted and that's it.
The only way I see that happening is if Alexandra herself decides to decline her apanage, when her sons are say eighteen.
They would be financially secure anyway and Felix may very well (hopefully actually) have left home in less then ten years from now.
That would be seen as a graceful move by Alexandra. Continuing to recieve her apanage after her sons have moved away will damage her reputation I believe.

Last edited:
I would love to see Alexandra offer to give up her apanage when the boys are 18 (and I think if she could she would) but by then she will have been out of work for far too long to make it likely she will be able to find someway of replacing the income from the State with a salary. IMO the longer she receives her allowance the more unlikely it is she will give it up.

Last edited:
thanks for the google hint - out of
interest what does it mean when it states - 'she can not receive remuneration
for public service' in part 2? it almost sounds
as if the bill at the time doesn't allow her to take on other jobs - but
she has?! Or does it just mean jobs paid by the State/Government?.

Tommy, that particular paragraph is a permanent fixture in all
Parliament Bill concerning apanages! I suppose it just means that
a recipient of civil list money is not allowed to receive payments from
other state establishments as it could provoke criticism! ! For the
sake of argument - let's suppose that the Foreign Ministry would
ask Alexandra to open a Danish Trade Fair in Hong Kong and pay a sum
for her services - that's out of the question!

I'm quite surprised the bill specifically
states that she will continue to receive the allowance if she
remarries (although she has to now pay VAT). Clearly when it
was written the bill set her up for life..
And that precisely is the core of the recent discussion! But again,
back in 2004 noone could tell how her situation would evolve! She
could have continued to live as a divorced single mother, in which
case she would need the money. And on the other hand, she could
have married a multimillionaire. If that were the case should she have maintained her allowance then?) I'm just asking ;)! That's why I think
that the Bill should have been open for a later revision in order to
deflate possible detractors!
As Duc-et-pair concluded: it was a poorly thought arrangement!

Viv

At the moment of the divorce the children, both Princes of Denmark, were the number three and four in the line of succession. I can see why the State of Denmark gave a form of apanage to ensure the proper upringing of these two royal princes, but in hindsight it was an arrangement turning into an open invitation to critics.

The same in Belgium, where the sister and the brother of the current King, the Number 5 respectively the Number 11 (!) in the line of succession, are given a lavish dotation from the State. Also that arrangement turned out into an open invitation to critics.

Once a promise has been made, an arrangement between the State and the former Princess Alexandra, it is very difficult to change. In aftersight it was a poorly thought arrangement.

Why assume it was a poorly thought out arrangement. We have no idea why the couple divorced and the arrangement may have been a very convenient way for the royal house to save face.

Why assume it was a poorly thought out arrangement. We have no idea why the couple divorced and the arrangement may have been a very convenient way for the royal house to save face.

i think many people may argue no matter why they divorced, even it was down to terrible behavior by Jaochim (and I'm not saying that it was) that its not up the taxpayers of Denmark to 'pay off' a former Princess to keep the Royal House looking good.

It was a poorly thougt out arrangement because the costs for the failure of the marriage were laid at the doorstep of the taxpayer. Prince Joachim got an apanage and his family was included in this. Then his marriage fails. Can happen but where any Dane has to bear the consequences of a break-up by themselves, in this case it was shoven onto the plate of the Danish taxpayer.

No wonder that from the very beginning on there were raised eyebrows and critical questions about it. Now the Danes have to foot Prince Joachim's bill ánd that of Mrs Jorgensen... In a normal arrangement the Danes would foot Prince Joachim's bill and then he has to bleed by himself for his broken marriage. Even then the Danes are very generous because there are other monarchies which do not grant anything to siblings of a King or a Heir....

:flowers:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom