Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephine, News 1: February 2011 - January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The birthday photos of Isabella are lovely. I like that they were taken by Princees Mary makes them far more personal.

A charming and beautiful little girl, full of life and personality.

Princess Isabella will break many hearts in the future with her looks and character to boot! Happy birthday

Such simple & lovely photos. Isabella looks like a happy & healthy girl, allowed to be a just a child at her age.

Loved the photos. Very natural and Isabella is growing cuter by the year.
She looks a lot like her Dad, Prince Frederic.

I agree, little Izzy looks very much like her father. She's definitely a little royal that I'd love to watch grow and dazzle the world! She's so sweet! :wub:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #17, 2012.
Prinsesse gavtyv - Princess rogue. (*)
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

Who informs us that the three pictures of Bella were taken by Mary at the hunting lodge in Trend just before easter.

Her birthday however was celebrated at Amalienborg.
After returning from the funeral of Mærsk McKinney Møller shortly after 16.00 farmor Margrethe, grandpapa Henrik, farbror (**) Joachim and tante (***) Marie visited Isabella to wish her a happy birthday.
They stayed for about 45 minuttes and Joachim and our Marie must have strolled across the square because Joachim said to our reporter: "Yes, we were at Isabella's birthday, but Nikolay and Felix weren't there".

The invited guests started to arrive around 16.30 and the last guests lefte around 20.00.
With the exception of Caroline Heering and her daughter, Rosemarie, who attends the same class as Christian. They stayed on. - A sleepover?
Other guests were Jakob Reese with his two daughters Mathilda and Rebecca.
Juliane Meulengracht and Peter Bang with their son and daughter.
Christian and Elisabeth Buchwald.
Julie Mølsgaard.

Frederik told later that the guests had been treated to a layered cake and cookies.
A typical Danish layered cake: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yFtA4qj_rlY/TpHeHDvy4gI/AAAAAAAAAQo/wvOm1aGftVA/s1600/IMG_1799.JPG

Frederik also had news about his twins to our reporter Ken Richter: "They are well on their way (to walking). One is doing pretty well. Vincent is by nature curious and he has already stood up from four to two legs.
Right now we are focusing on the two oldest children. I'm pretty pleased with their attitude in regards to moving about and being outside. I would like to be a good example by bicycling and playing soccer with them in the garden - and go swimming, when there is an opportunity for that (****). The things I show pleasure and enthusiasm about, I think also rubs off on them. This winter saw Prince Christian for the first time confidently on alpine skis. It's good to see that selfconfidence and that the child itself can control movements on skis. He really enjoyed that for the first time and so did I".

(*) Gavtyv. Typically a child full of funny mischiefs.

(**) Farbror = father's brother = uncle. (Pronounced as "far" as in far away + a drawn out "bra-a-a" as in brawn).
Morbror = mother's brother. (Pronounced as "moor" + a drawn out "bra" as in brawn. Easy, eh? Now you can speak with Jutlandic accent).
Onkel = uncle in general or someone who has married into the family.

(***) Tante = aunt in general or someone who has married into the family.
Moster = mother's sister. (Pronounced as in "muster").
Faster = father's sister. (Pronounced as "fa" as in Fabienne + "ster" as in muster. See? Now you can speak Danish)

(****) Fredensborg, Marselisborg and Gråsten have outdoor swimmingpools, but not Amalienborg.

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #17, 2012.
Prinsesse gavtyv - Princess rogue. (*)
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

Who informs us that the three pictures of Bella were taken by Mary at the hunting lodge in Trend just before easter.

Her birthday however was celebrated at Amalienborg.
After returning from the funeral of Mærsk McKinney Møller shortly after 16.00 farmor Margrethe, grandpapa Henrik, farbror (**) Joachim and tante (***) Marie visited Isabella to wish her a happy birthday.
They stayed for about 45 minuttes and Joachim and our Marie must have strolled across the square because Joachim said to our reporter: "Yes, we were at Isabella's birthday, but Nikolay and Felix weren't there".

The invited guests started to arrive around 16.30 and the last guests lefte around 20.00.
With the exception of Caroline Heering and her daughter, Rosemarie, who attends the same class as Christian. They stayed on. - A sleepover?
Other guests were Jakob Reese with his two daughters Mathilda and Rebecca.
Juliane Meulengracht and Peter Bang with their son and daughter.
Christian and Elisabeth Buchwald.
Julie Mølsgaard.

Frederik told later that the guests had been treated to a layered cake and cookies.
A typical Danish layered cake: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yFtA4qj_rlY/TpHeHDvy4gI/AAAAAAAAAQo/wvOm1aGftVA/s1600/IMG_1799.JPG

Frederik also had news about his twins to our reporter Ken Richter: "They are well on their way (to walking). One is doing pretty well. Vincent is by nature curious and he has already stood up from four to two legs.
Right now we are focusing on the two oldest children. I'm pretty pleased with their attitude in regards to moving about and being outside. I would like to be a good example by bicycling and playing soccer with them in the garden - and go swimming, when there is an opportunity for that (****). The things I show pleasure and enthusiasm about, I think also rubs off on them. This winter saw Prince Christian for the first time confidently on alpine skis. It's good to see that selfconfidence and that the child itself can control movements on skis. He really enjoyed that for the first time and so did I".

(*) Gavtyv. Typically a child full of funny mischiefs.

(**) Farbror = father's brother = uncle. (Pronounced as "far" as in far away + a drawn out "bra-a-a" as in brawn).
Morbror = mother's brother. (Pronounced as "moor" + a drawn out "bra" as in brawn. Easy, eh? Now you can speak with Jutlandic accent).
Onkel = uncle in general or someone who has married into the family.

(***) Tante = aunt in general or someone who has married into the family.
Moster = mother's sister. (Pronounced as in "muster").
Faster = father's sister. (Pronounced as "fa" as in Fabienne + "ster" as in muster. See? Now you can speak Danish)

(****) Fredensborg, Marselisborg and Gråsten have outdoor swimmingpools, but not Amalienborg.

Just catching up on here, and was so glad to have come across this article. Thank you, as always for your translation and explanations. I'm glad to see that Frederik and Mary are making sure that their children are growing up as confident individuals. It's lovely to see parents encourage self-assurance, as well as being active. It appears that little Isabella enjoyed a nice birthday party, and I bet if there was a sleep-over involved, all the kids had a blast. It's always delightful to read about this particular family. They appear to enjoy being in each other's company.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #22, 2012.
Med farfar at sea - With (paternal) grandfather to sea.
Written by our maritime reporter Ulrik Ulriksen.

On the day of Frederik's birthday, which was also the birthday of Dannebrog, Prince Henrik took Christian and Isabella on a cruise in the harbour of Copenhagen after the lunch onboard Dannebrog was over.

The cruise took place in one of Dannebrog's boats and it was pretty crowded:
A mate and a lieutenant from Dannebrog.
A nanny.
An adjutant.
Two PET officers, to protect the children.
Prince Henrik and the children.
The crew and the children were prudently wearing life jackets.

Prince Henrik was steering under the proper guidance of the lieutenant. (Formally speaking she was in command, not PH). At some point PH sailed the boat to Toldboden (the quay with stairs very close to Amalienborg and also where M&F boarded their boat that day). Here the children, their nanny and the PET officers left the boat. Christian smiled to the photographer and said: "Hi". (*) Isabella, sporting a ponytail, gave grandpapa Henrik a kiss.
After which they all walked through Amalienborg Garden to Amalienborg a
couple of hundred meters away.
That also provided some Japanese tourists with an added experience.

Prince Henrik shouted "Ahoy" to onlookers on land and continued on the cruise through the harbour.

(*) From several interviews I know this is something the press really appreciate.

Last edited:
Thank you for always keeping us posted with news from billedbladet Muhler, it is really lovely :flowers:

How wonderful to hear that Christian and Bella are spending some quality time with grandpapa.

:previous:

My pleasure. :)

Hopefully a gallery will emerge soon. It is remarkable to see with which confidence Christian face the photographer. Obviously adults taking pictures of him is something natural to him.

:previous:

My pleasure. :)

Hopefully a gallery will emerge soon. It is remarkable to see with which confidence Christian face the photographer. Obviously adults taking pictures of him is something natural to him.

He seems more comfortable with attention and cameras than either of his parents! To me Christian's ease with all the fuss is pretty impressive for someone so little - he doesn't seem at all shy but he never shows off, either. It will be interesting to see whether he'll always be like this or if he'll become more self conscious as he gets older.

Does Isabella start school this year? I know in the U.S. children start elementary at 5 with kindergarten, but it seems in Europe they start at 6 with first grade, kindergarten being separate?

Is Christian going to first or second grade (or its equivalent?)

Does Isabella start school this year? I know in the U.S. children start elementary at 5 with kindergarten, but it seems in Europe they start at 6 with first grade, kindergarten being separate?

Is Christian going to first or second grade (or its equivalent?)

Christian is currently attending preschool = børnehaveklasse, which is also called 0. grade. In August he will start in first grade.

It's normal in DK for children to attend nursery from six months or so until they turn three. Then they'll move on to kindergarten and at age six to preschool.
Christian is expected to leave school after graduating from ninth grade and I will be extremely surprised if he doesn't attend gymnasiet = high school, which he will graduate from after three years around the age of eighteen.
And as he is destined to become king, he will most likely opt for volunteer conscription in the military.
At present that is about three months of basic training, unless serving in special units like the guards battallions of the Royal Lifeguard Regiment or the mounted squadron of the Guards Hussars or serving onboard Dannebrog.
Christian will in all likelyhood start a career in the armed forces and that means he will attend NCO school, along with other conscripts who have been selected for that. That will last about eighteen months, during which he will be in charge of training his own section, under the supervision of his platoon NCO.
Upon completing that he will join the officers academy. I don't know for how long. He will graduate as a lieutenant (depending on the branch) and get his first command

By then he will be in his early twenties and it's very likely he will attend a university.

Last edited:
Do you think Christian in not attending yet the school?? Is going to turn 7 so he should ahve started the school with 6 years...last year...so he is going now to the 2nd year

Christian is currently attending preschool = børnehaveklasse, which is also called 0. grade. In August he will start in first grade.

It's normal in DK for children to attend nursery from six months or so until they turn three. Then they'll move on to kindergarten and at age six to preschool.
Christian is expected to leave school after graduating from ninth grade and I will be extremely surprised if he doesn't attend gymnasiet = high school, which he will graduate from after three years around the age of eighteen.
And as he is destined to become king, he will most likely opt for voulnteer conscription in the military.
At present that is about three months of basic training, unless serving in special units like the guards battallions of the Royal Lifeguard Regiment or the mounted squadron of the Guards Hussars or serving onboard Dannebrog.
Christian will in all likelyhood start a career in the armed forces and that means he will attend NCO school, along with other conscripts who have been selected for that. That will last about eighteen months, during which he will be in charge of training his own section, under the supervision of his platoon NCO.
Upon completing that he will join the officers academy. I don't know for how long. He will graduate as a first lieutenant and be in charge of his own platoon.

By then he will be in his early twenties and it's very likely he will attend a university.

Thanks! It appears to me that he is in the equivalent of American kindergarten. Our "preschool" is nursery school, for children below kindergarten.

Biboquinhas, in the U.S. children are starting school later these days. While traditionally, 5 year olds went to kindergarten, and 6 year olds to first grade, there is a tendency to start them later. Christian's grade may also be due to the fact that he has a fall birthday. Sometimes the school system or the parent will not start the child if at the start of the school year, they are not yet five or six. I have a feeling Muhler can help us out on this one. ;)

Thanks! It appears to me that he is in the equivalent of American kindergarten. Our "preschool" is nursery school, for children below kindergarten.

Biboquinhas, in the U.S. children are starting school later these days. While traditionally, 5 year olds went to kindergarten, and 6 year olds to first grade, there is a tendency to start them later. Christian's grade may also be due to the fact that he has a fall birthday. Sometimes the school system or the parent will not start the child if at the start of the school year, they are not yet five or six. I have a feeling Muhler can help us out on this one. ;)

I may. :)

Christian started in preschool/børnehaveklasse/0. grade at the age of five, because he was considered mature enough. Felix on the other hand wasn't considered mature enough, so it was advised that he waited one more year.
As a thumbrule children in DK start in preschool at the age of six and first grade at the age of seven.

My own children started in preschool shortly after and just prior to turning six.
I was an "old" six year old when I started in preschool myself, many, many years ago.
Back then we were attached to the school for two hours a day, but it was still mostly play with a few tasks here and there, partly because back then a considerable number of mothers were homemakers and many of us had never been to a kindergarten.
My own children were taught basic arithmetics and reading and writing in kindergarten. Something I was only taught when I started in first grade.

Nowadays children graduate from school after ninth grade, for a total of ten years in school. Some go to "efterskole" = continuation school for a year afterwards. That is usually a boarding school. Others start in high school - and others get an apprentticeship or attend a more practical school.
In my time (the 70's and 80's) it was very common to graduate after tenth grade, for a total of eleven years at school.

As a curiosum, my children roll their eyes way back in their heads when I tell that we were required to stand behind our chairs at the end of the day in kindergarten and sing the going-home-song. After which we bowed or curtsied to our teacher whom we addressed with last name and Mrs/Miss.
Later on some of our teachers would sometimes slap us if we misbehaved or pull our hair.
No calculators, no computers and the teachers only had blackboards! It's pure Oliver Twist to them. :p

Christian started in preschool/børnehaveklasse/0. grade at the age of five, because he was considered mature enough. Felix on the other hand wasn't considered mature enough, so it was advised that he waited one more year.
As a thumbrule children in DK start in preschool at the age of six and first grade at the age of seven.

My own children started in preschool shortly after and just prior to turning six.
I was an "old" six year old when I started in preschool myself, many, many years ago.
Back then we were attached to the school for two hours a day, but it was still mostly play with a few tasks here and there, partly because back then a considerable number of mothers were homemakers and many of us had never been to a kindergarten.
My own children were taught basic arithmetics and reading and writing in kindergarten. Something I was only taught when I started in first grade.

Nowadays children graduate from school after ninth grade, for a total of ten years in school. Some go to "efterskole" = continuation school for a year afterwards. That is usually a boarding school. Others start in high school - and others get an apprentticeship or attend a more practical school.
In my time (the 70's and 80's) it was very common to graduate after tenth grade, for a total of eleven years at school.

As a curiosum, my children roll their eyes way back in their heads when I tell that we were required to stand behind our chairs at the end of the day in kindergarten and sing the going-home-song. After which we bowed or curtsied to our teacher whom we addressed with last name and Mrs/Miss.
Later on some of our teachers would sometimes slap us if we misbehaved or pull our hair.
No calculators, no computers and the teachers only had blackboards! It's pure Oliver Twist to them. :p

Sounds similar here, even down to the odd slap (I went to school in the 70's and 80's too, 13 years of school, kindergarten through 12th grade, all blackboards, and later... TYPEWRITERS!! :eek:).

Do you not still call teachers by their last names???? In the U.S. it's a must. You can tell your kids that kids in the U.S. must still stand up at the first bell, place hands over hearts, face the flag and recite the pledge of allegiance.

Sounds similar here, even down to the odd slap (I went to school in the 70's and 80's too, 13 years of school, kindergarten through 12th grade, all blackboards, and later... TYPEWRITERS!! :eek:).

Do you not still call teachers by their last names???? In the U.S. it's a must. You can tell your kids that kids in the U.S. must still stand up at the first bell, place hands over hearts, face the flag and recite the pledge of allegiance.

:lol: And carbon paper and correction fluid. Something utterly incomprehensible to our children nowadays.

Yes, children call their children by first name now and use informal you as a matter of course.
That began in my time, when the 68'ers entered the schools as teachers. But the old teachers were still addressed with last name and Mr/Mrs. to the day we left. It simply felt natural.
Some DK schools back then and now start the day with a song, but that's about it. I don't know if they do at Christian's school.

:lol: And carbon paper and correction fluid. Something utterly incomprehensible to our children nowadays.

Yes, children call their children by first name now and use informal you as a matter of course.
That began in my time, when the 68'ers entered the schools as teachers. But the old teachers were still addressed with last name and Mr/Mrs. to the day we left. It simply felt natural.
Some DK schools back then and now start the day with a song, but that's about it. I don't know if they do at Christian's school.

The correction fluid is utterly incomprehensible to me now too.

I think we can make a list of things that the future King of Denmark will never come across in his life - I'll start:

A record player/ turn table

It's interesting, because now I see more and more Ms. +First Name for younger grades here in New York City. I know that many classes/schools for kids with special needs only ask the students to call the teacher by his/her first name with a Mr./Ms. in front of it. I don't mind being called 'Ms. Daria', because my last name is not easy to pronounce, but I remember that when I went to school, I had to call all teachers by their last name with Mr./Mrs./Ms. in front of it. So much is becoming informal when it comes to the classroom. I was told that when I work with pre-schoolers, they can will just call me 'Daria'. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I don't want them to think that a teacher is there to just to play with them, and I'd like order in my classroom. I guess we'll see as I get the hang of things. I do think I'll ask them to call me 'Ms. Daria', so that they get used to being a bit formal with adults when it a school setting.

So much of your school experience is like what I would have had if my family didn't come to the States from USSR. I started school at the age of seven (grade one), and would have had to stay in school until age thirteen (grade eight), with option to go on to high school, or technical school. I went to a special school for kids with visual impairment, so our curriculum was stretched out (for instance, what was learned in grade one by typically developing kids was given us over two years) and we had twelve years of school altogether (if we chose to stay through high school) instead of typical ten. I think over ten years ago, Russian schools changed from ten years (with high school) to twelve, and now kids have the option of graduating at eighteen instead of previous sixteen. We had to stand up at the beginning of each lesson when our teacher entered a room, and at the end of each lesson as well. When we were called upon, we had to stand as well. It was very formal and intimidating, but it kept us all in line (no one dared to actually try and be funny, because the tongue-lashing from the teacher was not worth the giggles of the classmates). Now when I look back on my first years of schooling, I realize that there was little to no student engagement. We were expected to sit still, and listen and do the tasks that were given. I know I was in for a huge culture shock when I came to the States and started going to school. Definitely took me a while to realize that I didn't need to get up every time I wanted to answer a question.

Here in the South, up until kindergarten, children will call the teacher "Mr. first name" or "Miss first name". At the kindergarten level then it is the last name. Among the more traditional southerners, children also address all elders as "ma'am" and "sir" including the classroom (sometimes my kids will say this to us so I know they do it at school at times, depending on the teacher). I'm not surprised that it is going to just first name in New York, as I am from there, and know what it's like. I don't think it's a good idea. I have friends who are teachers in NYC and they have little enough control in their classrooms without the added idea that the teacher is an equal. Children also want to know that someone is in charge as well.

I have a son with mild special needs, and he had to go by this too in his special needs classrooms, but I would not be surprised if children in the more "severe" classrooms call the teacher by first name, as it is just easier for them.

I suppose that Christian is not addressing his teachers as "ma'am" and "sir". There's also a lot more male teachers at the elementary level down here. It that the same as Denmark?

Also, I noticed Christian is in a public school, which I think is admirable. But I don't believe it is the neighborhood school. In the U.S you generally are only allowed to go to the school in your zone, unless there is a program the child needs in a different public school. Is he in the different school due to security concerns? I suppose this is not so much an issue in Denmark. It is a big issues here, comparing it to the children of the President.

I suppose that Christian is not addressing his teachers as "ma'am" and "sir". There's also a lot more male teachers at the elementary level down here. It that the same as Denmark?

He isn't. That I can say with 99.99% certainty.
The majority of school teachers in DK are now women.
That is even more so at nursery and kindergarten level. So much so that men are sought after.
It is very much debated whether the boys are being affected. In the sense that boys are often more active, while the school system is now being too much directed against girls. In the sense that the stereotypical girl pupil sit still and listen and is able to being left alone to study.
Well, I personally would like to see a more balanced approach in regards to teaching, because as I see it, the active children are at an disadvantage as it is now.

Also, I noticed Christian is in a public school, which I think is admirable. But I don't believe it is the neighborhood school. In the U.S you generally are only allowed to go to the school in your zone, unless there is a program the child needs in a different public school. Is he in the different school due to security concerns? I suppose this is not so much an issue in Denmark. It is a big issues here, comparing it to the children of the President.

It isn't a local school, but you are free to apply for your child to attend any school within a municipality, provided there is room and depending on certain restrictions. Immigrant parents do not have the same free choice as ethnic Danes, because the authorities want to spread out immigrant children on as many schools as possible.
However, due to savings in public schools, many if not most parents who can afford it send their children to private schools.
Alternatively parents do like us. We live in a large village and our children attend the local public school. That school has very few immigrant children and very few children from families with social issues. That means that the vast majority of children have the same middle class background, are very similar in regards to needs, language level, cultural and ethnic background and so on. The diversity is pretty limited.
That again makes it easier to teach a class, which again attracts better teachers and so on, and so on.
In short: If we lived in a city rather than a village, it is almost certain our children would be put in a private school rather than a public school, because the level in public schools in the cities is decidedly lower than in rural public schools and in private schools.
When it comes to the education of our children, I and Mrs. Muhler are very selfish.

That is in stark contrast to the public schools in the 70's and 80's, where more than 90% of all children went to the nearest public school. In the same class it would be normal to find children from parents who were unskilled as well as children from parents who were well educated. There were children from strong families as well as children from families with social issues.
That diversity within a typical class has now become the exception here in DK.

Anyway, back to Christian. It's no secret at all that M&F looked at several schools within the greater Copenhagen area, both public and private. And eventhough Christian normally wouldn't belong to the school he is attending, a loophole in the regulations were used.
Any public school would welcome any DRF child with open arms. Because that means funding. It means prestige, which again attract better applicants among the teachers and children from socially stronger families.
- Not least in a time when the politicians get a lot of heat for advocating public schools while sending their own children to private schools.

The school Christian is attending is among the best public schools in DK. The pupils mainly come from middle class families and up. A lot of the children are from families who frequent the same social circle as M&F themselves, so it's hardly a surprise that M&F chose this school.
But, and that is important, Christian will inevitably get to know children from families who are below the social layer M&F frequent and also from different social circles.
Much more so than if he had attended the private Krebs School where Nikolai and Felix go.

Bette Henrik is the one among the DRF children who has the most diverse classmates, when he is attending the kindergarten in Møgeltønder that is.
It will be interesting to see whether Joachim and our Marie will send him to a public school in the nearby town of Tønder or to a private school. I believe it is almost certain he will go to school in Southern Jutland.

Last edited:
Virtually the same issues with schools, here, Muhler. My children attend public school because we are in a very good suburban area. There is diversity here, which I think is essential in a United States school, but our immigrant population are very hard working, and set a great work ethic at the school. Also, there are very few issues in these schools. Anyone who moves into this area and pays these house prices and rents have a good work ethic which is instilled in the children. You need not apologize about being selfish about education. We are too.

If we lived in the area I grew up in, they would be literally catapulted into a private school via giant slingshot. :D

As for Christian, it sounds like he is in a wonderful setting, and is getting the best of both worlds; a GREAT public school. I think it's great when affluent parents in the spotlight do this. Now I suppose that the school is inundated with applications!! :cool: I also suppose that he does not ride the big yellow school bus you see all over the roads here. Do they have "school busses" there, or are children expected to make their own way?

As for Henrik and his sister, it will be interesting to see where he goes.

:cool: I also suppose that he does not ride the big yellow school bus you see all over the roads here. Do they have "school busses" there, or are children expected to make their own way?

No, he doesn't. (Nor is Isabella for that matter). Christian is either driven to school by one of his parents with a PET escort trailing behind or in one car with a nanny and with his PET officers too. (He may even be so comfortable with his "PET-uncles", that a nanny is no longer needed).
There is actually a picture of Frederik taking Bella to kindergarten in a private car during the state visit from China in this weeks issue of Billed Bladet.
While bette Henrik in contrast has been known to be taken to and picked up from kindergarten by his parents on foot. The distance from Amalienborg to Isabella (and bette Henrik's) kindergarten is only a few hundred meters, so I guess it's a security issue.

I think the concept of uniform school buses, like in USA, is nothing short of brilliant!
There are school buses here in DK as well, as well as taxis used to transport school children. Predominantly for public schools.
The taxis are common in the cities, especially for immigrant children, who are spread out, so that they may attend a school in a different part of the city.
In rural areas school buses are very common. - But they are not uniform like in USA.

Children attending private schools are, with a few exceptions, expected to get to school either by public transport or by being driven by someone.

- In this context I think it's worth to single out an initiative in UK, where parents and volunteers escort groups of younger pupils to and from school on foot. Even if the distance is farly short.
An excellent thing that provides safety on so many levels.

[QUOTE
- In this context I think it's worth to single out an initiative in UK, where parents and volunteers escort groups of younger pupils to and from school on foot. Even if the distance is farly short.
An excellent thing that provides safety on so many levels.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely I get crazy when I see so many really joung kids around 6 or 7 years old walking to the schools alone! I know some parents don't have a choice but certenly it is not safe at all here in the US to leave such a young kids walking by themselves. sometimes is is not even safe to walk inside the shcool alone!

I can tell you here in our district Massachusetts the children are required to call the teachers by Mr./Mrs./Miss last name. In high school, some of the coaches or drama teachers become friendly and allow the kids to use first names but it is very uncommon.
One of our sons did a college year in London with a mix of US students, one of whom was from the South. He habitually said "sir or M'am" as his up bringing taught. One of the profs thought he was putting on an act and was really angry about it! Just shows you how trying to be polite in one setting can backfire in another...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom