Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephine, News 1: February 2011 - January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was brought up bilingual (Portuguese and French) and when I was nine I learned English. I love languages and have improved my Spanish and a bit of Italian.
I think the best way to learn is as a child. Children have an excellent "ear" for languages.

I definitely think it's a benefit to be brought up bilingual. I've been speaking Danish, English, French and some Greenlandic since I was a little girl and I definitely found it a benefit in school, didn't have to work nearly as hard as the others. It can be somewhat confusing though, I used (and still use) my English so much that I mix it up with my Danish, especially the grammar get mixed up :lol:

Being bilingual is definitely an advantage especially for the position Christian will be in one day.

^exactly.
as for bein' brought up bilingual, it doesnt put much pressure on the child to learn some language because he/she learnt automatically.
Amalia and her sisters are brought up as bilingual as well, Dutch and Spanish. and i believe they know english too, hence Victoria speaking to Amalia in english on her wedding festivities.
the same as Elisabeth and her siblings, french speaking parents and dutch school

Last edited:
You are welcome Stellad & Polyesco :)

He seems to me to be a child who is talking with adults and who is challenged, which is in line with what Mary talked about recently.

Perhaps someone can answer this:
I began to learn foreign languages myself in school about the age of ten.
Is there a general tendency for children who are brought up bilingual, from infant and pretty intensively, to have a better grasp of the subtleties and nuances of both languages enabling them to master both languages better than average?
I mean, Christian has presumably never been in the situation where he (initially at least) had to mentally translate before speaking. And I assume he can switch between thinking in Danish as well as English at the blink of an eye.

Or do you think it has more to do with him being stimulated, having conversations with adults, being encouraged to form an opinion and think about things. The PlayRead technique.

Or is he simply gifted with a talent for being articulate coupled with him clearly being self-confident?

It will certainly be interesting to compare him with Isabella and also bette Henrik and Athena, who are also brought up bilingual.

I think that's an interesting point you bring up. IMO, being multilingual is a skill that doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with being articulate - it's certainly possible to be able to speak several languages and not be especially articulate in any of them. I get the impression that the writer of this new article thinks Christian is well spoken for his age in both English and Danish and also that he seems fairly bright in general.

I also think at this age there's a difference between actual intelligence and a kid just being precocious and ahead in various skills, specifically language development skills. It's easier to pick out innate ability, IMO, once kids have been in school for a few years.

I love Europe for that , it is normal for the kids to be bilingual! here in america I remember the kindiergarden teacher giving me a video of phonetics for my daughter becsue she had british accent becasue my husband is british the school would not pass her if she didnt have the american accent. A few times I had teachers telling me it was wrong to bring up my daughtr bilingual, spanish-english! she was in france 3 months for kindergarden and came out speaking french! I think it is the best for kids! and i am glad my gaughter understand that, no matter what the others saidI think it is a marvellous idea to bring kids bilingual!

I love Europe for that , it is normal for the kids to be bilingual! here in america I remember the kindiergarden teacher giving me a video of phonetics for my daughter becsue she had british accent becasue my husband is british the school would not pass her if she didnt have the american accent. A few times I had teachers telling me it was wrong to bring up my daughtr bilingual, spanish-english! she was in france 3 months for kindergarden and came out speaking french! I think it is the best for kids! and i am glad my gaughter understand that, no matter what the others saidI think it is a marvellous idea to bring kids bilingual!

I think I would have gone to her Principal and complained about that. It is not as if there is such a thing as a single American accent.
it reminds me of when I applied to an American university for grad school. There accepted me but said I had to take a test to see if I was fluent enough in English. I asked them if they had noticed that my undergraduate degree was from Cambridge and did they know where Cambridge was. She still insisted it was policy to test all foreigners so I went to a different American university for grad school. Some policies are just stupid and fly in the face of logic.

I think I would have gone to her Principal and complained about that. It is not as if there is such a thing as a single American accent.
it reminds me of when I applied to an American university for grad school. There accepted me but said I had to take a test to see if I was fluent enough in English. I asked them if they had noticed that my undergraduate degree was from Cambridge and did they know where Cambridge was. She still insisted it was policy to test all foreigners so I went to a different American university for grad school. Some policies are just stupid and fly in the face of logic.

I did I complain to the principal and he was worst gabe me a video for her to practice! it does not surprise me what you say! it is so rediulos here that you can not imagine! I think is wonderful when kids can be bilingual and I think is inteligent of CP mary and fred to encourage their kids to speaks several languages I wouldnt be suprise that Christian even knows some french!

I think lille Henrik and Athena may well be trilingual - Danish, French and English - which brings me to the question: have the Fredmary Four learnt French yet? With a father, both grandparents, uncle and aunt being fluent you would have thought they would have given it a go anyway...

I don't think Henrik and Athena know English, their parents speak Danish and French to them and to each other. I think only Nikolai (and soon Felix) are the only trilingual youngsters in the DRF so far.
Christian and Bella may know a few words of French thanks to grandpa Henrik but it will most likely be a language they take in school.

This is really fascinating.

I don't think Henrik and Athena know English, their parents speak Danish and French to them and to each other. I think only Nikolai (and soon Felix) are the only trilingual youngsters in the DRF so far.
Christian and Bella may know a few words of French thanks to grandpa Henrik but it will most likely be a language they take in school.

I believe I read somewhere that Nikolai, and to a degree Felix now speak some French. It is after all Alexandra and Martin they spend most time with and when they were even younger it was probably only English and Danish they heard. It will be interesting to see whether they will study Chinese. As far as I know Alexandra is well versed in both Cantonese and Mandarin, which I believe are the two main languages in China.
And I agree, Athena and bette Henrik don't speak English yet, but they should have an advantage in both Joachim and our Marie being fluent in English.

Interesting!
Well, from a non-English speaker living here in Europe that would be a challenge!
I learnt to speak and write in English-English back when I went to school. (The dinosaurs still walked the Earth back then). Now, because foreign movies are subtitled and we see so many American TV shows and movies, I now mix English and American spelling all the time as you can no doubt tell and as such I now write and speak a kind of Amerdanglish.
I think that's pretty common among us Danes.

I was brought up bilingual (and I'm grateful for that). In retrospect I never realized which language I was talking or whether I switched languages. I just responded. According to my mother, I never mixed languages either. Of course that might be because each of my parents spoke with me in their own mothertongue. But mellie is correct, the children's brain is a marvel.

It's as I suspected then. You just do it.The human brain is a marvel, since you rarely if ever mix it up. The reason for my initial question was also that I wondered whether bilingual children, simply because their language centre is stimulated more than average, simply find it easier to master both languages in depth.
I guess that it is rather a case of founding the basis for the brain to better picking up and learning new languages later on?

I think lille Henrik and Athena may well be trilingual - Danish, French and English - which brings me to the question: have the Fredmary Four learnt French yet? With a father, both grandparents, uncle and aunt being fluent you would have thought they would have given it a go anyway...

I don't think they know any French. But who knows, they may employ a French nanny for the twins?

Last edited:
have the Fredmary Four learnt French yet? With a father, both grandparents, uncle and aunt being fluent you would have thought they would have given it a go anyway...

The 'foursome' will learn French for the reasons you mentioned, however I doubt that it'll have the same priority compared to other members of the family! As a natural Anglophone CP Mary is going to pull in the other direction and besides, I not sure that CP Frederik is quite as Francophile as his brother. What I'm saying is, that both have admitted to a fondness of France, however Prince Joachim has been more articulate about it :), especially after marrying la Marie!

viv

great photos! christian is sooo big! I still remember the day that he born! wowwwww
mary take great photos, he realle look like his mother but with the blue eyes like his father

Do you know if Bella is in school yet? Or is she still in the Denmark's equivalent to Pre-Kindergarten?

Yes, she is still in kindergarten. She must start in 0. grade/børnehaveklasse = preschool (or whatever it's called in the various countries) next August.

OH Ok school in denmark starts in August one month prior to us because of the winter weather!

My Mother and Father were both black haired, yet they had two children (of their seven,) with blonde hair and blue eyes. Both my grandmothers were blondes and blue eyes

Vincent and Josephine are just too cute and chubby I could bite them ;). in the close up of Josephine she reminded me of her grandpa Henrik.

Christian and Isabella, especially Christian, have grown so much from earlier 2012 to now.
it was nice to see the pics of them again on the forest walk with Frederik :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
Christian has truly become a big boy and I don't think it's long time since Mary and Frederik, as new parents, came out from the hospital with him in their arms! But okay, I also feel it was like yesterday that the entire Denmark stood still when Mary gave birth to the twins and now they are almost two years old! :ohmy:

By the way, now it's almost Christmas time and I look very much forward to their Christmas card :)

Billed Bladet #48, informs us that a song has been made for Isabella.

The song is written by Kurt Bønnerup and it will be Susanne Lana who will sing the song.
The song will be presented in a series called "Royalisterne = The Royalists) by DR1.

Those Danes who are old enough may remember Susanne Lana from Dansktoppen (a kind of top of pops) - more or less fondly...
(Some of the songs, many being quite good actually, were Danish versions of foreign songs).
Let's go back to 1970 and Susanne Lana's most wellknown hit: Susanne Lana - Hvis tårer var guld 1970 - 1971 Om tårar vore guld - YouTube

I have been checking the konghuset.dk website but no photos, just a mention of the birthdays in the calendar. I loved the photos of the twins at the Christmas concert. It would be nice to have a close up. Anyway, I'm sure they will have a lovely day.

But here in Denmark it is still evening (January 7) so if we will get new pictures of Vincent and Josephine they will most likely be released tomorrow morning Danish time. So in about 10-12 hours :flowers: There were no pictures of Christian and Isabella on their 2-year birthday, but now Mary has started to photograph a lot, so maybe.... I would love to wake up to new photos.

Last edited:
I too am impatient to see some lovely new photos of the twins on their birthday. It is early morning here in Australia -Tuesday morning, so I guess we have to wait until Wednesday morning at least before any photos become available. Sometimes time differences are a nuisance. So I guess patience is required for those of us 12,000 klms away. At any rate there's nothing like children growing up fast to remind us how time flies. Looking forward to seeing the twins at this stage of their life.

What is notable about these photos is that they are taken on the 30th December :) So they are quite new :)
And of course by their Mother :)

Last edited:
Lovely photos. In this picture, Josephine reminded me of her great aunt Queen Anne Marie. Vincent is gorgeous but I do think they should trim his hair a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom