Prussian and Hohenzollern Palaces, Castles and other Royal Residences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also hope they will find a way to keep itopen. Perhaps a way would be ifthey would only open it in the Summer Time and close it complete during late autumn and winter

Last edited by a moderator:
Today the foundation stone of the rebuilt of the Berliner Stadtschloss will be set.

IMO this rebuilding is not okay. Only the facade is looking like a castle but inside the "castle" you will never see how the old castle has looked. Inside this building is the so called Humboldt-Forum and no museum of the history of the Stadtschloss, of the family of Prussia connected with this castle... .

:previous:
Stadtschloss Berlin

How it should appear after reconstruction.

Attachments

• Prussia Stadtschloss Berlin reconstruction 2013.jpg
    Prussia Stadtschloss Berlin reconstruction 2013.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,344
It looks like an old office building or train station.

Yes indeed, I'd class it as "civic" rather than "palatial".
Some years ago when this project was being seriously discussed, I thought "great! a reconstructed city palace!".
But then I saw photos of the original Stadtschloss, and the reaction was a deflated "oh."
Not much more to say about it is there? :D

Yes indeed, I'd class it as "civic" rather than "palatial".
Some years ago when this project was being seriously discussed, I thought "great! a reconstructed city palace!".
But then I saw photos of the original Stadtschloss, and the reaction was a deflated "oh."
Not much more to say about it is there? :D

Plus the cityscape of Berlin has been dramatically changed since the Palace was destroyed,I wonder how it will fit in!

Apparently the City Palace in Potsdam has been rebuilt and the Brandenburg Landtag will move in soon. (It is my understanding that only part of the Palace's historic facade was replicated and that the interior of the palace was adapted to house the Landtag.)

Until know the Landtag has been housed in the old brewery/army records building. Does anyone know what use will be made of that building?

Thanks.

Victoria, the Dowager Empress Frederick, had a country house built in the style of England's Sandringham House. The country house was called Schloss Friedrichshof. The castle is now a hotel called Schlosshotel Kronberg.

Harold, Prince Louis Ferdinand's obituary stated:
At the end of the Second World War, Prince Louis Ferdinand had to flee with his family from his Eastern estates to West Germany and made the Wummehof in Bremen his private residence.

Sans Souci

The Concert Room is an example of the "Frederick" style of Rococo. It is decorated with paintings, sculptures, furniture, and handcrafts. The Concert Room was the setting for musical evenings in which the King was often a performer.
Charlottenburg
Sophie Charlotte, wife of King Frederick I, had a lively interest in sciences, literature, and Italian chamber music.
There are cymbals and portraits of Italian composers in her ooms at Charlottenburg.
The Red Chamber in the King's suite derived its name from the red damask wallcovering with rich gold ornamental braiding.The statue of Fortune at the top of the Castle of Charlottenburg was also a weathervane.

A year after the construction of the Golden Gallery, King Frederick II decorated a second, four-room apartment, to house his collection of French paintings rather than to live in.

Schlosshotel Kronberg and its surrounding park are today owned by the House of Hesse.

Wummehof

I note from the Nobilia website an article in a German news outlet that the Wummehof has been sold.

(see Wümmehof in Bremen-Borgfeld ist verkauft: Haus Hohenzollern trennt sich vom langjährigen Wohnsitz des Kaiser-Enkels Prinz Louis Ferdinand | Bremen)

If I recall correctly this property was acquired after World War 2 by Louis Ferdinand.

Does anyone know why Louis Ferdinand chose to live in Bremen rather than anywhere else?

Any idea where the Prince and Princess of Prussia will live now?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. Will the Prince and Princess continue to live in Bremen? Their plans may not have been announced.

Prince Godehard-Friedrich of Hohenzollern (1939-2001) was the youngest son of Prince Albrecht of Hohenzollern (1898-1977) and of his wife, née Ilse-Margot von Friedeburg (1901-1988). In turn, Prince Albrecht was the only son of Prince Karl Anton of Hohenzollern (1868-1919) and of Princess Josephine of Belgium (1872-1958, sister of King Albert I). Prince Karl Anton was the youngest brother of Fürst Wilhelm of Hohenzollern and of King Ferdinand of Romania.

I think that article is incorrect. The compensation would be for expropriations after World War II by the Soviet Military Government and the DDR. However, it is my understanding that no decision has been made on whether to award the compensation.

You're right. On the one hand it is about the properties taken by the Soviet administration and on the other hand the Brandenburg ministry of the interior has asked for an independent opinion of experts about the involvement of the Prussian Hohenzollerns with the Nazis before any payments will be made.

A proverbial can of worms would also be opened up with regard to many propertied families in the former German Democratic Republic and in western Poland, whose properties were expropriated. While it makes for genuinely poignant family history, for people with titles linked to land in Poland especially can imply a calling into question of the Oder-Neisse border between Germany and Poland.

When one speaks therefore of dynastic restitution of properties east of the former Iron Curtain, it is somewhat reminiscent of the situation of the post-Sandinista government in Nicaragua, when huge US companies incessantly demanded compensation for property in pre-Sandniista times to the extent of it becoming US foreign policy. (All the Sandinistas had to do was to say to the poverty-stricken Nicaraguan electorate: 'Look how the US is treating the government that is supposed to be its friend'; the Sandinistas were later elected to power: with an aura of legitimacy which the incessant demands for restitution by big corporations had ironically given them.)

If formerly reigning dynasties in parts of Eastern Europe ever hope to become established as popular and representative, then concern for the welfare of the common people needs to be a stance that is put way before issues of dynastic property restitution.

A very unbalanced and incomplete article. First of all The Telegraph seems to hint that it was the Emperor whom declared war, while it was a decision of the Cabinet under leadership of Chancellor Von Bethmann Hollweg. Secondly it seems to hint that Berlin has taken the decision to rebuild the palace in this year of commemoration, while that decision was taken a long time ago. Also the not unimportant information that only the façade will be rebuild and the inside will be open, modern and transparent (like the famous Reichstag with it's glass dome) was very missed. What a poor article by such a "quality newspaper".

When was/is it planned to be completed?

I believe they hope to open the museum/palace in 2019. I do not know how building firms work in Germany,but in my own country these projects usually take years and millions extra over the estimated time and budget.

I believe they hope to open the museum/palace in 2019. I do not know how building firms work in Germany,but in my own country these projects usually take years and millions extra over the estimated time and budget.
Oh, that's exactly how big building projects in Germany tend to turn out.:whistling: If it weren't OT, I could give you some great examples of years long delays and exploding costs. So I will be surprised if they are ready to open the museum in 2019.

By judging as it is now, it's hard even to think that in 2019 it will even be a finished bulding, let alone being an opened museum...

Back
Top Bottom