Prince Louis Ferdinand (1907-1994) and Princess Kira Kirillovna (1909-'67) of Prussia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
hi mafan.
i have a book with many photos of the family in question i will take a look and see if i can name them for you :)
which ones do you not know mate ?

ehmm...I fear I can recognise only Prince Louis Ferdinand and Duke Friedrich August of Oldenburg...

cheers mate...... so it the whole lot. i taken a look at your photos and there is familar faces to me, they appear to be all descendants of the prince. as i have mentioned i will take a look at my book !!! :flowers:

I've found a couple of pictures of the family of the late Prince Louis Ferdinand, Head of the Prussian Royal Family.
I need some help in recognising the people in these photos...

http://i25.tinypic.com/kcfez4.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/35i9av5.jpg

The second photo: Prince Christian Sigismund, don't know, Princess Kira, Prince Louis Ferdinand jun., Princess Xenia ?, Princess Marie Cécile, Prince Louis Ferdinand sen., Princess Ehrengard, Prince Friedrich Wilhelm.

On this pictures the Duke of Oldenburg was still married to Princess Marie-Cecile?

On this pictures the Duke of Oldenburg was still married to Princess Marie-Cecile?

Yes the only divorced in 1989. Also Princess Doanta is not on the photos so probably they where made before 1975.

The youngest son of the late princess Xenia and her late ex- husband Per Edvard Lithander, Wilhelm Sebastian and his wife Tiana, née Bischof had their first child a son Steen Edvard in February 2010.
The elder son Patrick and his wife Maya, née Flechner had their first daughter and fourth child Merle on February 25th 2010.

Source: Hein on Nobiliana BAG 2010

An interview with prince Louis Ferdinand in German has recently been uploaded to youtube:

Preussen Louis Ferdinand von ZDJ - YouTube

He talks about Kaiser Wilhelm II, and his (different) view on him, the abdication, his own studies and travels to the USA, Nazism, von Ribbentrop, prince August-Wilhelm & the reacties of the family to him, monarchy and of course his wife Kira Kirillovna, 'ebenbürtigkeit' (his father would have allowed the wedding of Wilhelm & Dorothea von Salviati, but the empreror Wilhelm did not). He says that he doesn't like to discuss the theme as he has an inner struggle with it, but as chef of the house he is forced to follow the house laws. For his as father that was bitter and difficult.

Last edited:
Prince Louis Ferdinand was a guest at the ceremonies opening the Berlin Cathedral in 1993.
Chancellor Helmut Kohl had invited Louis Ferdinand.

Last edited:
Gorgeous picture! She was a spectacular bride with her Russian Court dress and the meander tiara. How fitting that the Prussians still had this tiara in the typically Russian kokoshnik style.

In the video about Louis Ferdinand talks about his love for Hollywood actress Lili Damita. He wanted to marry her, but granddad (the Kaiser) put his foot down and LF returned to Europe. Lili Damita eventually married Errol Flynn...

In Huis Doorn , it was only a glittering Event because the Kaiser was not allowed to get out of the Netherlands and to allow him to wear his grand uniform.

I visited Huis Doorn , I recommend .

A picture of Kira touching up her makeup right after her wedding to Louis Ferdinand. Quite glamorous https://instagram.com/p/5SZ1iUCPil/

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

This old pictures is precious and beautiful. Kira she was stunning bride.
Thanks JR76.

The dutch Queens and their hats :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Grand Duchess Kira truly looked Imperial and would have made a glamorous Empress

I can truly recommend the Instagram account I linked to for many wonderful pictures of royals, nobles, members of the café society and their fabulous jewels.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

In the group picture, is that Prince Bernhard's mother next to him? (Princess Armgard zur Lippe-Biesterfeld née Freiin von Cramm).

By the way, wedding-guest Princess Juliana (later Queen Juliana) remained good friends with Princess Kira Kyrillovna of Prussia born Grand-Duchess of Russia. Here a picture of the two of them together. Also Prince Louis-Ferdinand of Prussia (the groom) remained friends. Here a picture of the Prince with Princess Irene of the Netherlands: http://resolver.kb.nl/resolve?urn=urn:gvn:KONB05:53A27-11-P099-3&role=image&size=large (click on the picture to expand to XXL).

:flowers:

Last edited:
In the group picture, is that Prince Bernhard's mother next to him? (Princess Armgard zur Lippe-Biesterfeld née Freiin von Cramm).

:flowers:

Next to the the Emperor? he is standing between his daughter-in-lawe Crwon Princess Cecilie and his second spsoue Hermine.

That was a glamorous picture indeed. There were two weddings, one in Potsdam and one in Doorn, Netherlands. Princess Juliana and Prince Bernhard were there as well.

There weher three ceremonies. A civiil Wedding and a russian-orthodox Service in Potsdam and a protestant Service ion Doorn.

Wow, thank you for your effort! Even in exile, this group picture would be -to today's standards- a grand royal wedding actually.

Is that grand duke Cyril next to Hermine? He's wearing another impressive uniform. I think Victoria Melita was already dead the time. Can anyone identiy anybody else?

Is that grand duke Cyril next to Hermine? He's wearing another impressive uniform. I think Victoria Melita was already dead the time. Can anyone identiy anybody else?

Seating in the first row: Prince Wilhelm,. Grand Duke Vladimi Cyrillovitch, the bridal Couple, Grand Duke Xyril Vladimirovitch, Princess Juliana of the Netherlands, Pricness Cecilie

standing: Hofprediger Doehring, Fürstin zu Hoghenlohe-Langenburg, Grand Duke Friedrich Franz IV. of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, Crown Princess Cecilie, Prince August Wilhelm Emperor Wilhelm II. Grand Duke Dmitir Pavlovitch, Princess Ina Marie, Empress Hermine, Prince Oskar, Prince Adalbert, Princess Adelheid, Hereditary Princess zu Salm (not mentioned which line).

in the pic the man next to Empress hermine in the uniform is not in the pic but this should be Crown Prince Wilhelm.

Last edited:
Thank you, Stefan! That is very interesting.
I find it lovely how unceremoniously people seat themselves on the carpet, even the future Queen of the Netherlands! You don't see that anymore these days.

Seating in the first row: Prince Wilhelm,. Grand Duke Vladimi Cyrillovitch, the bridal Couple, Grand Duke Xyril Vladimirovitch, Princess Juliana of the Netherlands, Pricness Cecilie

standing: Hofprediger Doehring, Fürstin zu Hoghenlohe-Langenburg, Grand Duke Friedrich Franz IV. of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, Crown Princess Cecilie, Prince August Wilhelm Emperor Wilhelm II. Grand Duke Dmitir Pavlovitch, Princess Ina Marie, Empress Hermine, Prince Oskar, Prince Adalbert, Princess Adelheid, Hereditary Princess zu Salm (not mentioned which line).

in the pic the man next to Empress hermine in the uniform is not in the pic but this should be Crown Prince Wilhelm.

What an impressive group actually... I think with "Prince Wilhelm" (on the floor, next to the bride) is meant Prince August Wilhelm, the fourth son of Crown Prince Wilhelm and brother to the groom? Look at the many interconnections via the Mecklenburg-Schwerins in the front row alone...:

SEATING

August Wilhelm, Prince of Prussia (brother of the groom)
son of
Crown Prince Wilhelm of Prussia
and of
Cecilie, Duchess von Mecklenburg-Schwerin

Kira Kyrillovna Romanova, Grand-Duchess of Russia (the bride)
daughter of
Kyrill Vladimirovich Romanov, Grand-Duke of Russia
and of
Viktoria Melita, Princess von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha

Louis Ferdinand, Prince of Prussia (the groom)
son of
and of

Kyrill Vladimirovich Romanov, Grand-Duke of Russia (father of the bride)
son of
Vladimir Alexandrovich Romanov, Grand-Duke of Russia
and of
Marie, Duchess von Mecklenburg-Schwerin

Juliana, Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Duchess von Mecklenburg-Schwerin
daughter of
Wilhelmina, Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau
and of
Heinrich, Duke von Mecklenburg-Schwerin

Cecilie, Princess of Prussia (sister of the groom)
son of
and of

What an impressive group actually... I think with "Prince Wilhelm" (on the floor, next to the bride) is meant Prince August Wilhelm, the fourth son of Crown Prince Wilhelm and brother to the groom?
The fourth child of Crown Prince Wilhelm and Crown Princess Cecilie was Friedrich (1911-1966). They didn't have any son named August Wilhelm (who instead was the fourth son of Emperor Wilhelm II and Empress Augusta).
Instead isn't the man seating on the floor near to the bride her brother Grand Duke Vladimir Kirillovich?

The fourth child of Crown Prince Wilhelm and Crown Princess Cecilie was Friedrich (1911-1966). They didn't have any son named August Wilhelm (who instead was the fourth son of Emperor Wilhelm II and Empress Augusta).
Instead isn't the man seating on the floor near to the bride her brother Grand Duke Vladimir Kirillovich?

Wow if it is Vladimir (Maria Vladimirovna's father) then it is really a small world and the Kaiserzeit is not all that long ago: Maria's own father (and Beatrix' own parents) have met the Kaiser. That is what fascinates me in royal history.

Of course I meant the fourth child of Wilhelm II, brother of the groom. But Vladimir is entirely possible too.

Last edited:
It would then be the uncle of the groom, not his brother ;)

Btw, I've checked some pictures of Grand Duke Vladimir as a young man (i.e. this one) and now I'm pretty sure that it was him indeed in the picture sat on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom