Restoration of the Monarchy in Brazil

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brazilians have a lot of respect for Pedro II, our emperor, and his daughter, Princess Isabel. They are well regarded even by the most radical left-wing historians.

However, it is very unlikely monarchy is ever going to return in Brazil. I remember the referendum some years ago (93, I think). Monarchy didn't win not because they had less money than the republicans. They didn't win because it was regarded as an archaich institution. Even worse was when people met to possible emperors. They met those old guys, conservative, traditionalists catholics in a country where religion is very lax. They also seemed out of touch with Brazilian reality, praising deeds done more than a century ago by their ancestors. In short, the monarchy had very bad PR when these guys were presented as possible emperors. They weren't charismatic, they were old and grumpy. They should have chosen more young and good-looking guys, who looked mordern and respectful., there was only one like that and he wasn't front runner for king. Shallow, but true.

Also, in that referendum, monarchy, different from other choices then (presidentialism and parlamentarism), wasn't only "selling" to us only the government system, they were selling themselves, the royal family, the emperor, the princes, etc. I don't recall one instant where they went "out there" to meet people, shake hands, visit slums, surburbs, downtown, etc. Meet the Brazilians reality. They chose to give interview in what was regarded a gilded cage. Bad publicity

Plus, they didn't strike as progressive people, the main guy for emperor seemed VERY conservative, and seemed very entitled in the interviews he gave (though he did try to sound humble).

That referendum was the last chance for monarchy here. I don't think it will ever going to return.

Concert in honour of the indepence in Brasilia in the presence of HIRH Prince Dom Antonio of Orleans Braganza and of HIRH Princess Dona Christine of Orleans Braganza( video) :

Monarquia Já: Recital da Independência

Most part of Brazilian people are not interested in the Monarchy. The 93's referedum was a terrible joke and there was no really preparation to it.
However, in the last years the Monarchist movement has been increasing.

:previous:
You are right, I, as a Brazilian, am a strong monarchist, but the majority here in Brazil isn't.

For me, as a Brazilian, what we need is Unity in our Movement. The Brazilian Monarchist Movement is too divided and too fuled by Egos. Our Imperial Family, unfortunetly, is not very active, and the only one who is active is the one we less need to hear from (d. Bertrand, who is extremely conservative and "carola"). We need d. Rafael to appear and speak to the people. We need to show people Monarchy isn't backwards and that we are not thinking about implementing a dictatorship, but creating a truly balanced and stable Parliament system, in which the Constitutional Monarchy is the best fit.

What we need now, gentlemen, is a bit less tea and a bit more action... MHO...

That's not entirely true.

Yes, the Monarchist Movement isn't very organized. But, since the death of Prince Pedro Gastão of Orleans-Braganza, in 2007, the divisions endend. Today the marjority of the Monarchists supports Prince Luiz, Head of the Imperial House.

As for the Imperial Family, they are active. Prince Luiz is an oldman with serious health problems, but he always recieves journalists and other people at his home, his adress is available on internet, anyone can stop for a visit. Princes Bertrand and Antônio travels the entire country, attending meetings and other events. Prince Antônio's chlidren, Prince Rafael and Princesses Amélia and Maria Gabriela are now starting to perform duties in behalf of the Imperial House.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about Prince Pedro's daughter Maria da Gloria? Is she doing things for the family? I know she is living in Spain with her second husband and two youngest children, but does she do anything on behalf of the family?

That's not entirely true.

Yes, the Monarchist Movement isn't very organized. But, since the death of Prince Pedro Gastão of Orleans-Braganza, in 2007, the divisions endend. Today the marjority of the Monarchists supports Prince Luiz, Head of the Imperial House.

I mean divided in the different Organizations and groups that want to restore d. Luiz :) We have the IBI, the CMRJ, the many many other Monarchic Circles and the independant forums and groups all around, with little to no real organization. They all, in general, agree that d. Luiz should be Emperor, yes, but they seem to still be fighting under the hood in "who will win the glories of being the one to give him the throne"...

As for the Imperial Family, they are active. Prince Luiz is an oldman with serious health problems, but he always recieves journalists and other people at his home, his adress is available on internet, anyone can stop for a visit. Princes Bertrand and Antônio travels the entire country, attending meetings and other events. Prince Antônio's chlidren, Prince Rafael and Princesses Amélia and Maria Gabriela are now starting to perform duties in behalf of the Imperial House.

I know of d. Luiz's condition, and it is understandable :) d. Bertrand does more bad then it is worth, and d. Antônio might go to meetings and other events but that simply isnt enough. They dont do any Lectures to Universities (except d. Bertrand, who ends up making more enemies then allies when he does, just look at what happened at PUC...) nor do they appear doing any volutneer work for people that need it (ok, d. Antonio is too old for that, but d. Rafael hasnt done any as far as I know, and the Princesses have only done one from what I've heard). We need more of these affirmative actions from our IF, and we need them to go to the different organizations of the Movement and tell them to start working Together.

What about Prince Pedro's daughter Maria da Gloria? Is she doing things for the family? I know she is living in Spain with her second husband and two youngest children, but does she do anything on behalf of the family?

HRH Princess Maria da Glória, Duchess of Sergobe isn't a member of the Imperial Family, because her grandfather, Prince Pedro de Alcântara, renounced his Dynastic rights, in his name and in name of all his descendents.

None of Prince Pedro de Alcântara's descendents works on behalf of the Imperial House.

I know of d. Luiz's condition, and it is understandable :) d. Bertrand does more bad then it is worth, and d. Antônio might go to meetings and other events but that simply isnt enough. They dont do any Lectures to Universities (except d. Bertrand, who ends up making more enemies then allies when he does, just look at what happened at PUC...) nor do they appear doing any volutneer work for people that need it (ok, d. Antonio is too old for that, but d. Rafael hasnt done any as far as I know, and the Princesses have only done one from what I've heard). We need more of these affirmative actions from our IF, and we need them to go to the different organizations of the Movement and tell them to start working Together.

The problem is that they don't receive media coverage.

Prince Antônio is always visiting schools and universities, he even visited a detention center (accompanied by Prince Rafael). Princess Cristina works with charities for mentally disabled children. Sometimes, the Goverment invetes Prince Antônio and Princess Cristina to represent the Imperial Family at official events.

Prince Rafael is starting to work for the Imperial Family, but he also has his work for Ambev. And we have to undestand his situation: the poor guy only become a direct heir to the Throne at the age of 24, after his brother's death.

Princess Amélia is now living and working in Spain, so she's not representing the Imperial Family anymore (I hope she return married with a Prince). Princess Maria Gabriela only finished college last year, but she has already accompanied her father to an official event, and was the highest ranking female royal at last year Monarchical Meeting.

Princess Isabel has worked for the Red Cross (she served as the President of the Brazilian Red Cross), and she's still envolved with many charities.

And we also have the Princess of Ligne, who is envolved with charities, but in Belgium.

The Imperial Family does a lot of things, but they don't receive any coverage.

d. Bertrand does more bad then it is worth.

Oh, please, Prince Bertrand isn't that bad.

He's a brilliant man, and he's very in touch with the brazilian reality. And His Imperial and Royal Highness know what to do in order to solve our problems.

Did you ever saw this interview?

PGM THAT'S ALL Entrevista com Príncipe Dom Bertrand de Orléans e Bragança Bloco 03 14 07 2012 - YouTube

HRH Princess Maria da Glória, Duchess of Sergobe isn't a member of the Imperial Family, because her grandfather, Prince Pedro de Alcântara, renounced his Dynastic rights, in his name and in name of all his descendents.

None of Prince Pedro de Alcântara's descendents works on behalf of the Imperial House.

Why is this?

Sorry, I didn't understand your question.

Why did he renounce his dynastic rights? Why do his children not work on behalf of the imperial family?

In order to marry a woman of low rank. A Brazilian Prince or Princess have to marry equally, in order to keep his/her succession rights. It's a rule established by Princess Isabel, Head of the Imperial House, in 1908, still in force today.

For Prince Pedro de Alcântara's descendentd, as they aren't members of the Imperial Family, the didn't work on behalf of the Head of the Imperial House. They live a quiet life, appearing only at some events.

Interesting as I thought Maria da Gloria's mother was a princess (one of a line of nine straight women who married directly into their own house). I guess that must be wrong?

Yes, but her grandfather married a "mere" Countess which the Brazilian Imperial Family, already living in exile, did not feel was quite up to snuff so he renounced his rights to the non existent Brazilian throne.

Through her mother she does descend from a long line of Bourbon princesses.

Interesting as I thought Maria da Gloria's mother was a princess (one of a line of nine straight women who married directly into their own house). I guess that must be wrong?

Oh, yes, her mother was Princess Maria de la Esperanza of the Two-Sicilies (1914-2005).

But Princess Maria Cristina of Orleans-Braganza's paternal grandmother was Countess Elisabeth Dobržensky of Dobrženicz (1875-1951).

As Princess Isabel ruled that Brazilian Princes and Princesses must marry equally in order to keep their dynastic rights, Prince Pedro de Alcântara had to renounce his rights before marry the Countess. None of his descendents are in line to succeed to the Brazilian Throne.

17%, is not any kind of a number you would publish. It is a joke. I think there are very few that want this. Pay for people who cut ribbons and do nothing.

17%, is not any kind of a number you would publish. It is a joke. I think there are very few that want this.

In the last Referendum, Monarchy received 13% of the votes, after 99 years of censorship, because being a Monarchist was illegal.

Today, we (the Monarchists) are 21% of the population, and we are getting strong, while the Republic seems to be collapsing. Today, President Rouseff was booed during the openning the Confederations Cup.

Dilma é Vaiada no Estadio Mané Garrinha - Copa das Confederações - YouTube

After more than a century from the fall of Monarchy 21% is a very good number indeed.

Surely it is important even more Brazilians know better HRH Prince Dom Rafael de Orleans Braganza.

21% is also an increase, although a slow one.

Who conducted the poll that arrived at the 21%? When was it conducted and how large was the sample?

From left to right: Prof. Tjader, HRH Prince Rafael of Brazil, HIRH the Prince Imperial of Brazil, HRH Prince Antônio of Brazil, HRH Princess Cristina of Brazil and Dr. José Carlos Sepúlveda. The picture was taken during the XXIII Monarchist Meeting, in Rio de Janeiro, on June 15:

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/983967_558637357508667_227613105_n.jpg

HIRH Prince Bertrand, Prince Imperial of Brazil, chating with some Monarchists who attended the event:

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1606_471097496301449_214466623_n.jpg

HRH Princess Cristina of Brazil, Mrs. Rita de Sá Freire and HRH Prince Antônio of Brazil:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-A9Tc-wVoo...s1600/1000785_471096059634926_251775328_n.jpg

Prince Rafael speaking, whatched by his uncle, Prince Bertrand (at his left side) and his parents Princess Cristina and Prince Antônio (in the first row):

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FxqoeDxAg...s1600/1003900_471096239634908_406437619_n.jpg

Prince Antônio speaking:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_URO-93bt...1600/1013379_470988842978981_1650339989_n.jpg

The certificate that participants received, celebrating the 75th birthday of HIRH Prince Luiz, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil.

The Mass, held on June 16, in celebration of Prince Luiz's birthday:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Js98IlCCb.../s1600/995039_471510746260124_238061806_n.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XRz_QzZqc...s1600/954606_471511066260092_2046644614_n.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-G1ZX_FAfJ...00/1016218_10200803542903535_1885505924_n.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YX2KqTY-V...1600/1016665_471511682926697_1308693323_n.jpg

The lunch, held after the Mass:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-L1ysJoSMg...s1600/1006139_471515559592976_919632292_n.jpg

Who conducted the poll that arrived at the 21%?

It was Instituto Brasil Imperial (Institute Imperial Brazil), a very important Monarchist organization.

When was it conducted[?]

A couple of years ago.

and how large was the sample?

As IBI has branches all over the country, I believe it was a large sample. But it's known that the majority of the Monarchists are in Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, with a significant number also in Brasília.

Last year, O Globo, the Brazilian newspaper with the largest circulation, published the following article:

"A new breath for Monarchy"

Fôlego jovem para monarquia - Amanhã no Globo: O Globo

The translation:

"While many people struggle to found a new party, there are those who dream with a far more dramatic change: changing the political system in Brazil. In Internet, groups who preach a return of the Monarchy are proliferating. And is deceived those who thinks that behind those groups are a bunch of nostalgic old men who have learned how to use a computer. Many of the XXI century Monarchists are less than 30 years old. It is the case of Lucas Suzigan, a 23 years old student of History of the Universty of São Paulo, who lives in Assisi, São Paulo.

— We have to put an end in the prejudice who says that Monarchy is something authoritativ, from the past. I believe it is the most efficient system for Brazil, both for political and cultural purposes - sentences the student, who is part of the group Parliamentary Constitutional Monarchy, whose Facebook account has already reached nearly four thousand members.

Lucas was just 4 years old when the country had a chance to return power to the Orleans-Braganza Family. In 1993, a referendum offered to the public the chance to choose between presidentialism and parliamentarism republican or monarchical. The return of the Imperial Family, however, was only supported by 13% of Brazilians."

Back
Top Bottom