Princess Teresa of Orleans-Bragança (1919-2011) and Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alberto2244

Aristocracy
City
-
Country
Brazil
D. Teresa de Orleans Bragança, widow of Ernesto Martorell, passed away today, 18th April.

D. Teresa de Orleans Bragança, widow of Ernesto Martorell, passed away today, 18th April.

This is terrible!! The last of Prince Pedros children to pass! Also the last of D. Duarte's Mothers siblings to pass as well. What a terrible time this must be for the Brazilian, French and Portuguese royal families. My deepest sympathies to them all!

The princess seem to have been popular within the family and attended many weddings and such. I will miss seeing her at these events. She died at home in Estoril, Portugal, in her own villa at the Rua D. Afonso Henriques. She is survived by her two daughters Elisabeth and Nuria.

Princess Teresa of Orleans-Braganza

Here are some links about Princess Teresa, all of them in Portuguese but most of them with beautiful pictures.

Morreu D. Thereza DOrléans e Bragança - Caras.pt
Lux - Morreu D. Thereza D`Orléans e Bragança
VIP.pt - Morreu a princesa THEREZA D'ORLÉANS E BRAGANÇA
BLOG WILLIAM XAVIER: Morreu a princesa THEREZA D'ORLÉANS E BRAGANÇA
MORREU A PRINCESA DONA TERESA DE ORLEANS E BRAGANÇA, ULTIMA ... on Twitpic
Prefeito decreta luto oficial de três dias pelo falecimento de princesa Dona Thereza | Notícias | Prefeitura Municipal de Pequeri - Minas Gerais
Lige Monteiro
IN MEMORIAM - Princesa Dona Teresa de Orleans e Bragança - Estado Sentido
História e Genealogia: A neta da Redentora!

From one of the links above I learned a very interesting tale:

In the 1920s, after the ban of the Imperial family was revoked, d. Teresa, as a child, visited most Brazilian States. Her father, D. Pedro de Alcântara de Orleans e Bragança - Prince of Grão-Pará, and her mother Elisabeth - countess Dobrzensky de Dobrzenicz took all of their children in an adventurous trip to show Brazil to them. When they arrived in Natal, capital of the Rio Grande do Norte State, their ship could not dock at the port so a speedboat was sent to fetch the illustrious visitors. The crossing plank was slippery and the waters were rough. When D.Pedro was crossing, a strong wave made him slip and fall into the water. He had a hard time trying to jump on the boat and the young Princes and their mother became worried, but fortunately, D. Pedro laughed at the situation. At the pier of Tavares de Lyra, they took the Governor's car that was waiting for them. On their way, the streets were crowded with people waiving. The Governor’s car had red seats and upon their arrival at the Palácio Potengi, D. Pedro’s suit was already dry but with a very big red spot on its back, which caused the little princes many laughs. In 2006, D. Teresa was in Petropolis / Brazil for a few days and the article’s writer telephoned her to ask her if she still remembered her visit to Rio Grande do Norte, and she did!

Princess Teresa of Orleans-Braganza inherited a big collection of photos from her grandmother, Princess Isabel. All of the photos were first published in 2008 in the book COLEÇÃO PRINCESA ISABEL - FOTOGRAFIA DO SÉCULO XIX (Editora : CAPIVARA, Especialidade : BIOGRAFIA/AUTOBIOGRAFIA, ISBN : 8589063259, ISBN 13 : 9788589063258, Páginas : 423, Publicação : 2008, Edição : 1º, Encadernação : CAPA DURA)

Last edited:

Thank you for posting these pictures!! :flowers:

For anyone who can't read it says the pictures are of people paying their last respects to the princess at her home before her body is cremated, there will also be a mass at her home before the cremation.

Nice to see the Kings sisters Margarita & Pilar, I read they were all very close, also nice to see the Portuguese nobility out in full force.

I believe the duchess of Cadaval also attended, as did prince Miguel of Portugal, the duke and duchess of Bragança, some of the Zurita's etc.

-
Does anybody know how many grandchildren the princess has?

A menber of the family told me the ashes of D. Teresa will be transferred to Brazil according to her wishes.
It will be interesting to see who will preside the funeral in Brazil as D. Teresa supported her cousin once removed, D. Luiz.

Last edited:
Wasn't it the brother who was at odds with the rest of the family? I believe I read that at the time of the death of the countess of Paris. There were some financial issues between him and his siblings and it was hinted that he didn't share as much with them as he ought to have done. If I recall it correctly it was said that one of the reasons why king Juan Carlos always showed warm feelings to the late countess was because the behavior of his uncle. Now I have no idea if any of this is true of course, but it was e-mailed to me by somebody who claimed (& appeared to) 'know'.

Or do you mean that she was friendly with the other branch of the imperial family? I can't imagine that D. Pedro's sons will have many issues with that since they all seem to be realistic about their chances of turning Brazil into a monarchy.

In any case, they weren't at odds in a way that they didn't want to be seen together anymore, in one of the links posted above there is a picture of Pedro Gastão and his youngest sister walking arm-in-arm at an advanced age.

Last edited:
-
Does anybody know how many grandchildren the princess has?

According to Noblesse & Royautés, she has 2 granddaughters, Maria Teresa Salgado et Maria do Carmo Calém.

I remenber of a public controversy in around 1988. D. Teresa sold to the Brazilian government the dress Princess Isabel wore to sign the abolition of slavery. D. Pedro Gastão said it was shameful to sell it and D. Teresa answered back to a journalist she was not as rich as her brother and she laughed ironically.
She had a reputation of being spendthrift as the Countess of Paris. And D. Pedro Gastão wanted to preserve the heritage in Brazil and not selling to the first who appears like it´s the case nowadays. So many things going to foreign hands....
Anyway, after reading your message, I telephoned an elderly friend who told me D. Teresa always supported the other branch and, I don´t know if it´s true, she was never very appreciated by her nephews of Petrópolis because precisely of money issues. But D. Joãozinho had no issue with his late aunt.
Meanwhile the Orleans Braganzas and other royalties who live in São Paulo are right now at the burial of Princess Cecilia Czartorysk.

I only recognise Princess Hélène of France, Countess of Limburg-Stirum.

In the picture, she's talking to her first cousin, Infante Miguel of Portugal, Duke of Viseu.

Thanks for the identification Cris M.

I read on the FIRMB the Duke of Bragança was there with his wife,children and both of his brothers.

I think that's very likely. The Duke and Duchess of Braganza seems to love a wedding. I don't think they'd miss the wedding of a close relative in Portugal.

Back
Top Bottom