Prince Antonio, Princess Christine and Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrazilianEmpire

Serene Highness
City
Rio de Janeiro and Petrópolis
Country
Brazil
What about Prince Rafael's children titles?

What about Prince Rafael's children titles?

It all depends of Prince Rafael's position in the Line of Succession.

Currently, Prince Rafael is the fourth in the Line, so, his children would His/Her Royal Highness Prince/Princess (Christian Name) of Brazil. If Prince Luiz die, and Prince Bertrand succeed him as the Head of the Imperial House, Prince Antônio will become the Prince Imperial of Brazil. As the oldest surviving son of the Prince Imperial, Prince Rafael will become the Prince of Grão-Pará. Children of the Prince of Grão-Pará receives the same title of children of other Princes, they'll be His/Her Royal Highness Prince/Princess (Christian Name) of Brazil.

When Prince Antônio becomes the Head of the Imperial House, Prince Rafael will be the Prince Imperial. His eldest son will become His Imperial and Royal Highness the Prince of Grão-Pará, the other children will stay as Princes and Princesses of Brazil, with the style of Royal Highness. If he has no sons, the eldest daughter will become Her Imperial and Royal Highness the Princess of Grão-Pará.

At Prince Rafael's ascenssion to the Headship of the Imperial House, his heir will become His/Her Imperial and Royal Highness the Prince/Princess Imperial of Brazil. The other children will remain as Princes and Princesses of Brazil, with the style of Royal Highness.

The Imperial Constitution defines the Imperial Family titles at article 105.

Constituio24

Brazilian, can you tell us how Prince Rafael's parents met each other?

Of course. Early this year, Princess Cristina was interviewed, and she told how she and Prince Antônio met and started to date.

Monarquia Já: Magazine L' Eventail: Christine de Ligne, une princesse belge au Brésil

Here is the translation:

Cristina de Ligne, a Belgian Princess in Brazil.

On September 26, 1981, Princess Cristina of Ligne, daughter of Prince Antoine of Ligne and Princess Alix of Luxembourg, married at Chateau de Beloiel [in Hainaut, Belgium], with the Prince Antônio, a member of the Imperial Family of Brazil. A month later, she moved to Rio de Janeiro, where she has lived for the past 32 years. Even with her European roots, the Princess considers herself a Brazilian. Four children were born of this marriage: Prince Pedro Luiz, who died in 2009, Princess Amélia, Prince Rafael and Princess Maria Gabriela. The Princely couple received L'Eventail at their home in Rio de Janeiro.

L'Eventail - "Your Royal Highness, how you met your husband?"

Princess Cristina - "We met occasionally at family gatherings, because we are cousins​​, through the Braganzas [Royal House of Portugal] and Wittelsbachs [Royal House of Bavaria]. So, when my brother Michel [currently the 14th Prince of Ligne] became engaged to Princess Eleonora, my husband's sister, we went to met more frequently, especially while he was working in Europe. I went to South America with one of my Habsburg [Imperial House of Austria] cousins, when I returned, Antônio, who had been transferred to Erlangen [Germany], to work as a nuclear engineer, was soon called back to Brazil, by the company for which he worked. He had to make a decision! We were both from large families and shared the same values​​, so things took their course and we got engaged in June, with the wedding scheduled for September. He was a kind of a one-way ticket to Brazil!"

Here is a picture of Prince Antônio and Princess Cristina. They are a great couple, and I'm convinced they would make a wonderful Emperor and Empress.

Attachments

• Dom Antônio e Dona Cristina.jpg
    Dom Antônio e Dona Cristina.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 3,211
Last edited:
I found those interviews with Prince Rafael, he seems to be a very intelligent and prepared young man. In one of them, His Royal Highness talked about marriage.

Oh, yes. His Royal Highness is great. Prince Antônio and Princess Cristina made a great job preparing their children to serve the country.

Not to be nitpicking, but isn't he an imperial highness?

Not to be nitpicking, but isn't he an imperial highness?

No.

Brazilian Titles and Styles:

Emperor and Empress of Brazil - Imperial Majesty.

The Head of the Imperial House and the Imperial Consort of Brazil - Imperial Highness

Prince and Princess Imperial of Brazil - Imperial Highness.

Prince and Princess of Grão-Pará - Imperial Highness.

Princes and Princesses of Brazil - Highness

Princes and Princesses of Orleans-Braganza - Royal Highness

As Prince Rafael is both a Prince of Brazil and a Prince of Orleans-Braganza, he's styled as His Royal Highness.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation! I find it interesting how styles can change from house I house at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently, Prince Rafael's full title is: His Royal Highness Prince Rafael Antônio Maria José Francisco Miguel Gabriel Gonzaga of Brazil, Prince of Orleans-Braganza, Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Peter I, Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Rose.

Brazilian, which title will Prince Rafael's wife receive? She will become Princess Rafael of Brazil (like British Princesses by marriage) or she'll become a Princess of Brazil in her own right?

She will become a Princess of Brazil in her own right.

In 1981, when Her Highness Princess Cristina of Ligne married His Royal Highness Prince Antônio of Brazil, she automatically became Her Royal Highness Princess Cristina of Brazil.

I found those interviews with Prince Rafael, he seems to be a very intelligent and prepared young man. In one of them, His Royal Highness talked about marriage.
Thanks, QueenHelena:flowers:
Those are very nice videos of Rafael.

I wish I could understand the language in which Rafael spoke. I do not speak Spanish or Portuguese. I have only English, French (reading only, not listening) and a little modern Greek.

Mariel, do you want a translation of what he said in both videos? If yes, just say. I can make a post with the translations

if it's not difficult, Juliette

Translations would be nice. Thank you.

Mariel

Here we go:

In the first video, D. Rafael is talking at the XXII Monarchic Meeting in Rio de Janeiro. His speech:

Your Imperial Highness, My uncle, D. Bertrand
Your Imperial Highness, My father, D. Antônio
Ladies and gentlemen

The first sentence we saw in the first presentation was about monarchy being a family regime, where the king, the emperor is the father who cares for his people, his children. A story from Princess Isabel with D. Pedro II that always impresses me is when standing in front of a sea of people, the princess asks her father (D.Pedro II):
-Father, will one day all of this will be mine?
And he, always wise, answers:
-No, You'll be theirs. You'll be part of them.
That shows, the head-of-state must serve his people just like a father is there to serve is children.
When, nowadays, we see a president, he's simply doing his job, working during the required 4 years, getting richer and look good on the photo so that he can accumulate more wealth for 4 years more. And we have now a "panelinha política" (not sure how to translate), where can only enter politics those who belong to the corruption system. Of course, there are honest politicians but how can we believe [them]? We cannot know.
Visiting Juiz de Fora (a town in Brazil) more or less a month ago, in the middle of May [the speech was on june 2012] we met a new group of young monarchists and that once again made me believe/have hope in the search of this Brazil-Family. And these groups, that are being created all over Brazil together with those that already exist with serious and involved people and with this desire of recuperating the moral christian values, are who will guarantee the sucess of our fight. I don't know if you know the film Pay it Forward. It's the story of a boy who creates a system of a pyramid, the Goodwill-Pyramid. If he helps 3 people and those 3 people help each more 3 people and so on, in a short period of time it will reach an immense number of people all doing good to each other. And I believe that's the role of us, monarchists: if each of us "convert" 3 people to the monarchic cause and those 3 "convert" 3 more and so on, we will spread quickly this idea and the chances of sucess will be bigger. Thus, I have a request for you, like homework: "Convert" 3 people, and that those 3 people bring even more 3 people and so on, and this way we'll have our monarchist pyramid/network.
I finish by asking Our Lady and Lord to guide us to have sucess in our work.
Thank you.

I'm sorry for the mistakes in the translation but it's late and I'm tired. I really need to go to sleep so I'll leave the second video for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Thank you, Juliette! Very thoughtful speech.

It's indeed a very good speech. The future of the Imperial Royal House lies in very good hands.

But Rafael does not seem flamboyant.
No, Prince Rafael, just like the rest of the Imperial Family, is very discreet.
The Imperial Family, since the times of Emperor Pedro II, never like to much fuss.

I translated this very good interview with Prince Rafael. He talks about the political situation of Brazil and his plans for the future, including marriage and the Restoration of the Brazilian Monarchy.

The interviews was given to "Herdeiros do Porvir" (Heirs to the Future), a Monarchist magazine.

I hope you enjoy it.:flowers:

The Interview:

Íntegra da entrevista com D. Rafael de Orleans e Bragança

The interview Princess Maria Gabriela, sixth in the Line of Succession to the Brazilian Throne, gave last year to "Herdeiros do Porvir generated a great interest. For Monarchists and non-Monarchist get to know a bit more about the younger members of the Imperial Family, today we interview her brother, Prince Rafael, fourth in the Line of Succession, son of Prince Antônio and Princess Cristina. Born in Rio de Janeiro, he's 26 years old and works as an engeneer at AmBev [a big industry here in Brazil], betewen his work and compromisses, gently replied the following questions.

What is your full name, Your Royal Highness, and the meaning of each name?

Rafael Antônio Maria José Francisco Miguel Gabriel Gonzaga de Orleans e Bragança. "Rafael Antônio" is my christian name, "Antônio" was a promise my father made to St. Anthony, if he had a son, he would name him after the Saint. Everyone in the Family has the names "Maria" and "José", after the Virgin Mary and St. Joseph, like Miguel, Gabriel and Rafael, after the archangels. "Francisco" is my godparent (Prince Francisco of Orleans-Braganza, my father's brother). Gonzaga is a tribute to St. Louis, the Family's patron saint.

What's your majoring, Your Royal Highness?

I'm graduated in Production Engineering, by PUC-Rio [Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro, one of the most renowned Universities of Brazil] since June 2010.

Do you have any hobby? A favorite sport? What do you do in your spare time?

I'm a sportsman. I play soccer every week and squash whenever I can. Apart from golf and tennis, which has turned a Family tradition.

Prince Antônio, your father, is an accomplished painter. Princess Maria Gabriela, your sister, showed an inclination to music. Has Your Royal Highness any artistical talent?

I always liked to draw. I studied in a drawing course when I was younger, but there's a long time I'm without practice. I really appreciate pencil drawings, mainly portraits. I'm a fan of da Vinci's sketches.

Your Royal Highness fears something? If yes, what and why?

I believe everyone fears something. But I never let my fears transpire, and always try to enfrentar to face situations in which those fears and anxiety appear.

How Your Royal Highness defines yourself (temperament, character, etc.)? Can you tell us something about that?

I'm discreet and reserved, and I always considered myself to be shy. But, when the situation allows me, I exercise my sense of humor.

Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom said that, for her, being Queen isn't laborious, and that she's very happy doing her duties. Do you think being a Prince, heir to the Brazilian Throne, is a difficult task?

I don't think it's difficult task. Since childhood, we learn how to deal with our situation. And we always knew how important our Family is for the country's History.

The continuation of the Imperial line is an incessant worry for the Monarchists. Your Royal Highness, do you intends to marry? If yes, which qualities the choosen Princess will have to display, to play such an important role?

Yes, I intend to marry. I think the most important is to find someone who has the same principles and values, and that received the same education. This essential for the couples happiness. They will share the same ideals, and pass those ideal for their children.

We are watching, not only in Brazil, but the entire world, a ferocious action from the media and from the legislators to destroy the institution of family. What we have in order to preserve the family?

We live in an economic system based on consumerism, where material goods pass over moral and christian values. People are becoming objects, and the family essence is lost when "disposable" relationships are established. We have to face materialism strengthening our faith and our spirituality, especially in education.

Your Royal Highness, in your opinion, which is the primary quality of the Brazilian people? And the biggest flaw?

We have lots of qualities. Brazilians are workers, cheerful and kind. But I like to highlight our generosity. A Brazilian, seeing the difficult of his equal, is willful and generous. A Brazilian rocognizes him/herself in someone's pain, that's why we help each other. It's difficult to find a flaw in such in people with so many qualities. But I can see, after so many decades of this disastrous Republic, that Brazilian developed a tendency to respect less and less the values, the lawas, and the individual himself. This is a threat to our natural qualities.

What Your Royal Highness thinks about the political situation in Brazil?

The Republic has a serious problem of governability, which forces Brazil to be managed by corruption. That creates a disillusionment regarding the Republic. In that way, people no longer believe in the institutions, and life becomes unworthy. In other words, um completo disregard to the laws and civility.

What are our problems? And what Your Royal Highness would make to solve them?

Today, for the country be "governable", the corruption has to be allowed to grow more and more, turning the Estate even more inefficient. The public services are worst possible. In Belgium, in the United Kingdom, in Spain and in other Monarchies, in return, we see the population being treated with dignity, especially the poor.

If you had to assume the power today, what would be the first act of Your Royal Highness?

It's difficult to come out with a concrete act. I think that, at first, I would work to get people closer to the Sovereign. The Republic doesn't listen, nor unify, the citizens.

In the travels Yor Royal Highness has done representing the Imperial Family, how people receives the idea of Monarchy? Especially young people?

I saw a growing movement of the youth, which fills me with hope, because more and more the people wants the political situation. And they're seeing that Monarchy is the best option for this change.

Your Royal Highness, do you believe that Brazil is near to Restore the Monarchy?

There's a clear rupture between the people and the Government. And that can't be sustained in the long run. I can't see a possible recovery for the Republican system. The Restoration of the Monarchy is now a question of time.

From what depends the Restoration?

Basically, depends of a great work of cooperation and communication, in which the Republic inefficiency becomes evidenced, and that the Monarchy is the future's regime. People have to understand that Monarchy isn't a thing of the past.

Your Royal Highness feels prepared to dedicate yourself 100% for the Monarchist Cause, if the Restoration becomes a reality today?

Of course. We were educated to serve the country. And I take this as an duty and as honor, not as a right.

What the Monarchists can do, foreseeing the Restoration?

They have to focus in communication. Establish a direct contact with society, to conquer more and more Brazilian to our Cause. Always acting with humilty and generosity, as good Brazilians.

Last edited:
Moderators, can you please, change the title of this thread to "Prince Antônio, Princess Cristina & Children", so we can post about Princesses Amélia and Maria Gabriela without being off-topic?

I was very moved when Princess Cristina said that her favorite music is the Brazilian National Anthem. Seems that Her Royal Highness really loves her adopted country.
Also, in a recent interview, the Princess said that she considers herself a Brazilian.
Her Royal Highness would be a great Empress consort.

Where is she from?

Where is she from?

She's from Belgium.

Princess Cristina of Brazil was born as Her Highness Princess Cristina of Ligne, at Chateau de Beloeil, Belgium. She's a daughter of Antoine, 13o Prince of Ligne, and Princess Alix of Luxembourg.

Are they related to the royals from the House of Braganza in Portugal?

The engagement is announced on 25 July 2013 between James Spearman and HRH Princess Amélia of Orléans e Bragança.

Alexander James Spearman is the son of Mr and Mrs Lochie Spearman of Perthshire, Scotland, and is a scion of the Spearman Baronets.
Princess Amélia is the eldest daughter of TI&RH Prince Antonio of Orléans e Bragança and of his wife, née Princess Christine de Ligne.

James SPEARMAN & Amelia A. DE ORLEANS E. BRAGANCA Engagement Announcement | The Times
Peerage News: Spearman/Orleans-Braganza engagement

Back
Top Bottom