Prince Antonio, Princess Christine and Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe there is no thread about this wedding as these two are fairly unknown to most readers and contributors on this forum. So Amelia was not really ""a visible bride... ;-)

:flowers:

i referred to kate being "a visible bride" and not amelia...
thanks for posting the pictures, they are great.

Perhaps more it could be about being a bit remote from the Social, cultural, economic life of Europe/and or the US. I don't know how long it takes to fly between Brazi and the northern hemisphere.

Forgive me if i don't get it (i don't follow this family very much), but imo if a potential bride or groom bases their decision to marry someone from the IF of Brazil based on how quick they can get out of Brazil (and back to the US or Europe) than imo he/she is not a good match, period.

That said: the european royals continously fly all around the world, sometimes for work, but also for parties and holidays and shopping, so unless a couple were stationed in the middle of the north or south pole, geographical distance these days is irrelevant.

Geographical distance these days are much less important than they were in the past but they are not irrelevant. Special if you're from Europe and are used to have any European capital just arround the corner and then you go and live in Brazil, which is much farer. It's not as easy, for example, to make a quick visit to your friends and family over the weekend.

Any European royal who marry a Brazilian one will have to adapt to a different lifestyle. It was done before with good results, so it's possible.

Last edited:
Let us not exaggerate, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Belo Horizonte, Brasilia, Porto Alegre, Recife, Fortaleza, Salvador de Bahía, etc. are enormous urban agglomerations with millions of inhabitants. You can shop Bvlgari, Hermès or Dior there as well, you can go out in the most fancy clubs and eat in the best restaurants. It is not that they have to life in a straw hut in a palm tree...

Ok but I for one would not want to be a days flight away from my parents siblings etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok but I for one would not want to be a days flight away from my parents siblings etc.

Heu... the roots of Queen Máxima of the Netherlands is at the other side of the globe, in Argentina. The roots of Princess Mary of Denmark is at the other side of the world, in Tasmania. The same with Queen Silvia of Sweden (Brazil) and Grand Duchess María Teresa of Luxembourg (Cuba) ...

In the 19th C a Russian Grand Duchess (Anna Paulovna Romanova) married with the then Prince of Orange and moved to (then) far-away Netherlands. A Belgian Princess suddenly found herself at the other side of the world as Empress of Mexico.

Let us say that long distances are somewhat of a destiny for royals...

And let's face it, *they* (unlike the average rest of us) have the money to travel back-and-forth a lot more often.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heu... the roots of Queen Máxima of the Netherlands is at the other side of the globe, in Argentina. The roots of Princess Mary of Denmark is at the other side of the world, in Tasmania. The same with Queen Silvia of Sweden (Brazil) and Grand Duchess María Teresa of Luxembourg (Cuba) ...

In the 19th C a Russian Grand Duchess (Anna Paulovna Romanova) married with the then Prince of Orange and moved to (then) far-away Netherlands. A Belgian Princess suddenly found herself at the other side of the world as Empress of Mexico.

Let us say that long distances are somewhat of a destiny for royals...

Actually Queen Silvia is half german so half of her roots are also in Germany and is there where she spend the most time of her life before marriage. Also her siblings and parents lived and still live in Germany.
And the Family of Grand Duchess Maria Teresa had long left Cuba and settled in Europe at the time of ehr marriage.
I think it is for everyone to decide if he wants ti live as far away from his Family.-
And the Brazilian Imperial Family sadly could experience iteself that there can also be dangers when flying.

Of course, it can be done. Millions of people live far away from their families and countries of origin, for a variety of reasons. But how many of us are willing to do that? How many of us would be willing to move to our husband's country miles away from home? Many of us, including myself, probably would. But I still think most of us would not or would at least think twice before getting involved with a man if we knew beforehand that eventually we would have to move.

Actually Queen Silvia is half german so half of her roots are also in Germany and is there where she spend the most time of her life before marriage. Also her siblings and parents lived and still live in Germany.
And the Family of Grand Duchess Maria Teresa had long left Cuba and settled in Europe at the time of ehr marriage.
I think it is for everyone to decide if he wants ti live as far away from his Family.-
And the Brazilian Imperial Family sadly could experience iteself that there can also be dangers when flying.

wrong, her brother lives most the time in S. Paulo and the late brother worked at the Brazilian Embassy first in Bonn and then in Berlin.
Queen Silvia has declared over and over again she feels Brazilian by heart and German by brains. Even before the she met her future husband. As she was interviewed by the Braz mag Claudia in June 72. And certainly she spends more time in Brazil than in Germany....at least 5 weeks almost every year. Generally in October and November.
There´s this famous picture of Silvia dressed as a "Baiana" at a ball in Germany before she got married.
Maria Teresa has visited Cuba at least twice over the last few years and she declared she is proud of her roots.
Too bad the Braz prince was travelling with Air France...the Braz airline TAM had a flight to Paris the same day and it did not fall.

Rafael's 1st best bet for a wife is a friend of his European relatives. Pss Louise Stolberg-Stolberg's (84) family has already married into his, she attended that wedding and Amelia's too in Brazil, and she is also friends with his cousin Pss Alix Ligne who seems to be living in Brazil. If Alix remains in Brazil, then a friend of hers would have someone in Brazil with them. Pss Maria Laura of Belgium/AD Austria-Este (88) was also at Amelia's wedding and is also a close friend of Amelia.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zAp6CAQuh...GCg/QUVrbC2nbZI/s1600/Louise+Stolberg+Rio.jpg

The second option is someone already in or with ties to South America. From Argentina: Pss Sophie (85) and Pss Nicoletta Auersperg-Breunner (91), Uruaguay: Pss Isabel (77) Pss Maria Magdalena (90) and Pss Margarita Auersperg (97) for example.

Last edited:
Rafael's 1st best bet for a wife is a friend of his European relatives. Pss Louise Stolberg-Stolberg's (84) family has already married into his, she attended that wedding and Amelia's too in Brazil, and she is also friends with his cousin Pss Alix Ligne who seems to be living in Brazil. If Alix remains in Brazil, then a friend of hers would have someone in Brazil with them. Pss Maria Laura of Belgium/AD Austria-Este (88) was also at Amelia's wedding and is also a close friend of Amelia.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zAp6CAQuh...GCg/QUVrbC2nbZI/s1600/Louise+Stolberg+Rio.jpg

The second option is someone already in or with ties to South America. From Argentina: Pss Sophie (85) and Pss Nicoletta Auersperg-Breunner (91), Uruaguay: Pss Isabel (77) Pss Maria Magdalena (90) and Pss Margarita Auersperg (97) for example.

Yes it would be helpful if you had a friend in the country already.

Pictures of Princess Amélia and James Spearman, Lochain and Pilar Spearman and Prince Antonio and Princess Christine of Brazil:

https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net...=6e53570c4aeedb894e9ecfc4b2b9821f&oe=546BEF40

Princess Amélia was a very beautiful bride, and she was looking so happy! James was looking very happy too.

Princess Christine was very elegant and regal, and I think Prince Antonio is still a very handsome man.

And I also have to say that James really looks like his father, although he got some of his mother's traces.

There are also some royals/nobles living in Latin America. For an example: the paternal grandmother of the King of the Netherlands was Gösta von Amsberg, Freifrau von dem Bussche-Haddenhausen.

The son of the 10th Fürst Kinsky von Wchinitz und Tettau and Mathilde Freifrau von dem Bussche-Haddenhausen was Franz Ulirch. He became the 11th Fürst upon the death of his father in 1938. He was first cousin of the present Fürstin von and zu Liechtenstein born Princess Marie Aglaë Kinsky von Wchinitz und Tettau. He was also second cousin to the late Prince Claus of the Netherlands, Jonkheer van Amsberg (father of the present King) both being descendants of Julius Freiherr von dem Bussche-Haddenhausen.

The present 12th Fürst Kinsky von Wchinitz und Tettau and head of the famous House Kinsky is born in Buenos Aires, Argentina and married to María de los Dolores Beccar Varela y Oneto, heiress to one of the wealthiest Argentineans (Beccar Varela is the biggest lawyers' office of the whole Latin-American continent). So without realizing, even in Argentina there are royals living.

In 1940 the Fürst Kinsky emigrated to Argentina where he lived until his death. The family owned several stunning estate, cluding the Palais Kinský in Prague. These properties were withdrawn in 1945 on the basis of the Beneš decrees. Since 2003, the Fürst Kinsky complained against various courts for the return of the assets. In total there are 157 lawsuits filed in the dispute of € 1.3 billion. These cases are still proceeding....

I believe the current Fürst Kinsky, living in Argentina, has three young sons. But maybe there are nieces somewhere who are eligible to marry the Prince Rafael. Despite the proceedings against the Czech Republic and Austria, the present Fürst is a rich man thanks to his family's capital ánd the profitable marriage to a Beccar Varela daughter.

:)

The Kinsky Palace in Prague, picture: http://www.praguewelcome.cz/img/edee/photogallery/objects/45691/3161.jpg

The Kinsky Palace in Vienna, picture: http://austria-forum.org/attach/Wissenssammlungen/Burgen_und_Schlösser/Wien/Kinsky/palais kinsky.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that nice pic!

Am I the only one who thinks that tartans are better in kilts than in in pants?

Thanks for posting that nice pic!

You're welcome! :flowers:

And I agree with you about the tartan. But maybe James thought a kilt would be too much, although some of the guests wore kilts.

Rafael's 1st best bet for a wife is a friend of his European relatives. Pss Louise Stolberg-Stolberg's (84) family has already married into his, she attended that wedding and Amelia's too in Brazil, and she is also friends with his cousin Pss Alix Ligne who seems to be living in Brazil. If Alix remains in Brazil, then a friend of hers would have someone in Brazil with them.

I believe Pss Louise Stolberg-Stolberg is between Rafael and Alix in this picture.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-D-ueRYxvx...3s/s1600/989e8a55c21cd32b9dd7d18c6ffc5708.jpg

Bright & Beautiful: Amelia d'Orléans-Brangança & James Spearman

Princess Louise zu Stolberg-Stolberg is absolutely an Ebenbürtige possible partner for Prince Rafael. The most famous Stolberg in the family tree is Juliana von Stolberg (1506-1580), mother of Willem I of Nassau, Prince of Orange (the founder of present-day Netherlands). Many female Stolbergs have the name Juliana, since then.

Louise Marie Juliana Prinzessin zu Stolberg-Stolberg (1983)
daughter of
Jost-Christian Fürst und Graf zu Stolberg-Stolberg
and
Jonkvrouw Sylvianne Janssens van der Maelen

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the photo of Princess Amélia and James Spearman with us, Cris. :flowers: I love Amélia's dress - I agree with the post in the royals and their similar and or same style thread which states that it looks a little like the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding dress (I showed the photo to my mother and she thought the same), although I have to say, I think I prefer Amélia's.

You're not alone - I also think the tartan would've looked better as a kilt. I have a strong dislike for tartan trousers in general though, so I guess I'm biased. To be fair to James Spearman, it's nice that he honoured his "Scottishness" with the tartan - do we know if it is his family tartan or just a general tartan that he liked?

According to Luxarazzi, the wedding of Princess Amélia of Orleans-Braganza and James Spearman was also attended by Princesses Anunciata and Astrid of Liechtenstein, Princess Charlotte of Nassau, Princess Xenia of Croÿ and Prince Ludwig of Bavaria.

Princess Amélia's wedding dress was a creation of British designer Emilia Wickstead and Her Royal Highness used a tiara that belongs to her maternal family, the Princely House of Ligne.

Luxarazzi : Wedding of Princess Amélia de Orléans e Bragança

I’m astonished that the tiara supposedly is from the de Ligne family! It certainly is not the Ligne bandeau which was worn by Amelia’s mother, grandmother and the bride of her uncle Wauthier. Also the bride of Amelia’s first cousin Prince Philippe de Ligne, Laetitia Rolin, even borrowed a tiara from the Limburg-Stirum relatives. Quite mysterious, imo.

It seems that there were a load of young aristos at the wedding. With some good luck all this socializing will lead to the next glamorous wedding:).

The boy and four girls are the sweetest! Who are they?

The boy and four girls are the sweetest! Who are they?

The page boys and the flower girls were Eduardo de Orleans e Bragança de Carvalho Moreira, Pedro de Orleans e Bragança Mendes, Samuele Bridge, Maria Sofia de Orleans e Bragança Moreira, Maria de Orleans e Bragança Ratto, Matilde Figuerola-Ferreti and Stella Schrader.

Pictures of the wedding of Princess Amelia are just beautiful. It is hard to choose the best one.
And now we got the chance to see the tiara closely.

Back
Top Bottom