Imperial Family of Brazil 1: Ending 2021

• Thread starter CountessofLuxembourg
  • Start date

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1d) PEDRO HENRIQUE Afonso Felipe Maria Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga (Boulogne-sur-Seine 13 Sep 1909-Vassouras, Brazil 5 Jul 1981); m.Nymphenburg 19 Aug 1937 Maria Pss of Bavaria (b.Nymphenburg 9 Sep 1914)

Sister> 3d) Pia Maria Raniera Isabella Antonia Vitoria Thereza Amélia Gerarda Raimunda Anna Micaela Rafaela Gabriela Gonzaga (Boulogne-sur-Seine 4 Mar 1913-Lude 24 Oct 2000); m.Paris 12 Aug 1948 René Cte de Nicolay (Le Lude 17 Jan 1910-Paris 25 Nov 1954)

Nephew> 2e) Ct Robert de Nicolay, b.Neuilly-sur-Seine 17 Feb 1952; m.Paris 4 Feb 1983 (rel) 5 Feb 1983 Nathalie Pss Murat (b.Neuilly 5 Apr 1961)

1f) Cte René de Nicolay, b.Boulogne 29 Apr 1991
Grand Niece> 2f) Irène de Nicolay (Boulogne 6 Nov 1985-10 Apr 2007)
3f) Louise de Nicolay, b.Boulogne 15 Mar 1987
4f) Elvira de Nicolay, b.Boulogne 7 Aug 1988
5f) Cte Christian de Nicolay, b.Boulogne 11 Jan 2002

ed quote

Dom Joãozinho is not part of the Imperial Family. He is a grandchild of the son of princess Izabella, daughter of emperor Pedro II from a morganatic marriage.

Here goes the first video from eight of an interview with Dom Antonio, brother of the Head of the brazilian Imperial Family:

YouTube - Dom Antonio de Orleans e Bragança - 1ª parte

The Brazilian Imperial Family:

YouTube - FamÃ*lia Imperial entrando no Outeiro da Glória

(Dom Luiz and Dom Bertrand, followed by Dom Antonio and his wife, and Dom Rafael and his sister Amelia (both children of Dom Antonio)

Prince Dom Rafael speaking:

YouTube - PrÃ*ncipe D. Rafael no Encontro Monárquico

1d) PEDRO HENRIQUE Afonso Felipe Maria Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga (Boulogne-sur-Seine 13 Sep 1909-Vassouras, Brazil 5 Jul 1981); m.Nymphenburg 19 Aug 1937 Maria Pss of Bavaria (b.Nymphenburg 9 Sep 1914)

Sister> 3d) Pia Maria Raniera Isabella Antonia Vitoria Thereza Amélia Gerarda Raimunda Anna Micaela Rafaela Gabriela Gonzaga (Boulogne-sur-Seine 4 Mar 1913-Lude 24 Oct 2000); m.Paris 12 Aug 1948 René Cte de Nicolay (Le Lude 17 Jan 1910-Paris 25 Nov 1954)

Nephew> 2e) Ct Robert de Nicolay, b.Neuilly-sur-Seine 17 Feb 1952; m.Paris 4 Feb 1983 (rel) 5 Feb 1983 Nathalie Pss Murat (b.Neuilly 5 Apr 1961)

1f) Cte René de Nicolay, b.Boulogne 29 Apr 1991
Grand Niece> 2f) Irène de Nicolay (Boulogne 6 Nov 1985-10 Apr 2007)
3f) Louise de Nicolay, b.Boulogne 15 Mar 1987
4f) Elvira de Nicolay, b.Boulogne 7 Aug 1988
5f) Cte Christian de Nicolay, b.Boulogne 11 Jan 2002

She died young, indeed. But I really never heard anything about her before so, I don´t know how she died.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lecen, please excuse me, I had not read your question of august.
There are two points of view regarding the French succession.
The "Pacte de Cannes" concerns only the orleanist one, and is not very coherent with their position (elimination of kings who went reigning in other countries!)
For legitimists, the Orleans-Braganza are dynast.
For further details, the best would be to see the forum "Who is the rigntful heir to the French throne", in "Non reigning houses : France".

Hello!

Well, the thing is that I would just like to know if the letter of 1909 does or NOT give the brazilian branch right to succession from the orleanist point of view. That´s why I´m wondering if someone has the full copy of the letter.

From the orleanist point of view, I was explained by orleanists that this letter "restored" them in the right to succeed, but only after the extinction of the other branches, even if these were originally more far from the throne.
Nevertheless, dynastically, this is a little bit of a nonsense today, as none "French" (still in the orleanist meaning of the word) branch is after them. The only branch after them, is that of the dukes of Galliera, descendants of Antoine de Montpensier who left France to marry the infanta Luisa Fernanda, sister of Isabel II of Spain.

Thank you for this precision, the link is to the excellent site (in English) of François Velde, a French engineer living in USA, that contains many very interesting informations.

I received the following information from a Brazilian correspondent: “Dom Eudes de Orléans e Bragança Filho will marry Patrícia Landau in 2008. His sister, the twin Dona Maria Francisca, is expecting a child ….next december. Dona Maria Carolina, Dom Pedro de Alcântara Henrique's daughter, is expecting her first son.” Eudes and Maria Francisca are children of Dom Edues de Orléans e Bragança (b.1939) and of his second wife, née Mercedes Neves da Rocha. Maria Carolina is their first cousin, daughter of Dom Pedro de Alcântara Henrique and of his wife, née Maria de Fátima Lacerda Rocha.(added 27 Nov 2007)

The baby of Dona Maria Francisca, will be named Lucas Ratto, in honror of Luke Skywalker of Star Wars (movie), who, the father of baby is great fan. Her husband is Bernardo Almeida Braga Ratto, is a businessman(of Rio de Janeiro), he's owner of a gym network. The Almeida Braga (maternal family of Bernardo) are a family very traditional in Rio de Janeiro. His maternal grandfather is a of greatest banker of Brazil, Antônio Carlos de Almeida Braga.

Dona Maria Antonia is married with a economist in 2007. She's architect.
Info:
GeneAll.net - A nova geração de Orleans Bragança
GeneAll.net - Pessoas - Pesquisar
Sorry I dont know if ask it here:
But anyone know something on the Almeida Braga family?
I know they're portuguese orign.

royalty and stars wars named babies

first was Princess martha louise and Princess Leah
and Now this

The baby of Dona Maria Francisca, will be named Lucas Ratto...
Has the baby been born or have they announced the name before the birth.

The baby has been born late in November (November 28th?) I believe. Dona Maria Fransesca is the daughter of Prince Eudes and Mercedes Neves da Rocha. Eudes on his turn is the second son of the late Prince Pedro Henrique and Princess Maria of Bavaria. His marriage was morganatic son according to the rules of this branch of the Imperial family he lost his rights. His elder brother Luis Gastao is now head of the family but the claim will pass in the future to a younger brother Antonio and his descedants. Antonio is married to a Princess de Ligne, who is a cousin of the Grand Duke of Luxembourg (and a daughter of Princess Alix of Luxembourg).

António Carlos de Almeida Braga (Braguinha) has a great estate in Sintra, where he spends at least 4 months a year. His parents are Portuguese, but I don't have more details on that.

Thanks Elsa M.

I also knew Braguinha had a estate in SINTRA. I heard that Braguinha had been moved to Sintra with his wife Luiza and their daughters in 1980s. In this estate he hosted Ayrton Senna. But he was born in Portugal or in Brazil?

Last edited:
Dom Luiz and Dom Bertrand are unmarried and are very religious...
Actually, Dom Luiz and Dom Bertrand are true Catholics, those who follow strictly the Church rules. The problem is that they belong to an extremely conservative Catholic group, the TFP (Tradition, Family and Property), which disagrees with some of the changes that the Chuch made after the Second Vatican Council. They have made vows of chastity and live in the TFP's dependencies in Rio de Janeiro.
The Vassouras branch in general is very religious.

Death of Pedro de Orleans and Braganza

Sevilla, December 27 (EFE) .- Pedro Orleans and Braganza has died this morning to 94 years at his home in the town Sevillian Villamanrique de la Condesa, sources told Efe of the family.

Peter Orleans, candidate for the Brazilian imperial throne, was widower of expectancy Borbón-Dos Sicilies and Orleans, aunt of King Juan Carlos, who died on August 8, 2005, with whom she married at the cathedral in the capital Sevillian 18 December 1944.

Since then he has lived with his wife, with whom he had six children, in the palace of Villamanrique, a town located some 36 kilometers from Seville and about 4,000 inhabitants, but this residence alternated with lodging in Brazil.

Peter Orleans was born on February 19, 1913 at the castle D'Eu (France) and visited Brazil for the first time in seven years

Fallece a los 94 años Pedro de Orleans y Braganza - Yahoo! Noticias

With his death, the dynastic dispute in Brazil ends.

Neither his son or his grandson has showns any desire of keeping alive the claim of Dom Gastão.

isnt he the grandfather of the 3 serbia princes'?

El funeral por Pedro de Orleans será mañana en la Iglesia de Villamanrique

The funeral for Pedro of Orleans will be tomorrow in Villamanrique's Church

The funeral by Pedro of Orleans and Braganza, aspirant to the imperial Brazilian throne, which expired today in Villamanriqueo f the Countess Sevillian municipality , where he was residing from his wedding in 1944, will be celebrated tomorrow at six in the afternoon in the parochial church of the locality.

Prince D. Pedro Gastao died two weeks ago and now his eldest son, Prince D. Pedro Carlos is head of the Petropolis branch of the Imperial Family. His son, Prince D. Pedro Thiago, is his eldest son and heir.

New Hd Of Petropolis Branch Of Imperial Family

This Prince D. Pedro Carlos is now head of the Petropolis branch of the Imperial Family. His father, Prince D. Pedro Carlos, died two weeks ago (December 2007).

Last edited:
The Imperial Family never actually renounced their throne. The republicans control the government and you will never here them even mention the Imperial Family. I wonder why they are so nervous about this. Perhaps until recently republicanism has been a horrid failure in Brasil?

I believe all of them use the Prince or Princess title so long as the father uses it.
We really must get away from "morganatic" marriage useage. It is from another time and no longer has any usefulness. In fact there is nothing in the Imperial Brasilian constitution which addresses it. Therefore, renuciation of rights to the possible throne are all meaningless.
The Sao Paulo branch of the Imperial Familly calls itself the dynastic branch on an earlier renuciation. It is baseless.

Last edited:
Prince Of Paraty Branch Of Imperial Family

If by genuine you mean his Brasilianess (Prince D. Joao). Yes, he is the natural for the job. He perhaps is the least European of the lot. He has made his own life and his own fortune. He worked on a ship as a commone seaman. He is a big surfista. People really like him.
If you mean a blood heir then one must gravitate to Prince D. Pedro Carlos of Petropolis. He has the direct blood line from Emperor Dom Pedro II.

Last edited:
Petropolis Branch

The Petropolis branch of the Imperial Family is a tad on the disfunctional side. However, just because Prince D. Pedro Carlos does not run around showing himself off does not mean he is not interested. Various members of the Imperial Family have sold off family items simply because they need the money. They were never a very rich family.

Prince D. Pedro Gastao died two weeks ago and now his eldest son, Prince D. Pedro Carlos is head of the Petropolis branch of the Imperial Family. His son, Prince D. Pedro Thiago, is his eldest son and heir.

The Petrópolis branch is not part of the Imperial Family.

Today, the only brazilian princes are:

- Dom Luiz (Louis)

- Dom Bertrand

- Dom Antonio (Antony, married to Christine of Ligne)

- Dona Isabel (Isabella)

- Dona Eleonora (Princess of Ligne, and married to Michel, Prince of Ligne)

- Dom Pedro Luiz (Peter Louis)

- Dom Rafael

- Dona Amélia

- Dona Gabriela

- Henri of Ligne

- Alix of Ligne

P.S.: Imperiale, you should stop posting a message after another. That´s spamming.

P.S.2: If Dom Pedro´s renounce of 1908 is invalid, that means that Juan Carlos I of Spain is not the rightfull king just as Dom Duarte, the Duke of Braganza is not the rightful claimant to the portuguese throne? Their older uncles renounced their position when their country was a republic. Do NOT try to make us look like a bunch of fools.

Last edited:
Isn't that just a matter of how you look at things? The late Dom Pedro Gastao was rather sure about his claim and some say that the renouncement of the rights of his father (due to his marriage to a Polish countess) was invalid and thus he and his side of the family is still entitled to be the head of the Imperial family.

Another thing, I was wondering if Dom Antonio is as ultra-catholic as his eldest brother?

On another note, didn´t Pedro Carlos once said that he wasn´t too interested in the headship of the (Petrepolis branch) of the family? Didn´t one of his brothrs or cousins replace him or something like that? A miguel I believe to remember?

Last edited:
Isn't that just a matter of how you look at things? The late Dom Pedro Gastao was rather sure about his claim and some say that the renouncement of the rights of his father (due to his marriage to a Polish countess) was invalid and thus he and his side of the family is still entitled to be the head of the Imperial family.

Another thing, I was wondering if Dom Antonio is as ultra-catholic as his eldest brother?

On another note, didn´t Pedro Carlos once said that he wasn´t too interested in the headship of the (Petrepolis branch) of the family? Didn´t one of his brothers or cousins replace him or something like that? A miguel I believe to remember?

The father of Dom gastão renounced his position. Just like the older uncles of Juan Carlos I, king of Spain and Dom Duarte, duke of Braganza.

And why should someone support a republican branch?

Yes, that´s right. The Petrópolis´s branch is REPUBLICAN.

They said that to a spanish news magazine, you can read it here (in spanish):

http://www.publico.es/internacional/35312

I translated a few lines:

[...]

(In spanish) Francisco –51 años, economista, tatuaje de la rosa de los vientos en el brazo– es el prototipo de príncipe republicano. Sin trono. Y orgulloso de ello.

(In portuguese) Francisco - 51 anos, economista, tatuagem da rosa dos ventos no braço - é o protótipo de príncipe republicano. Sem trono. E orgulho disto.

(in english) Francisco - 51 years, economist, with a tatoo of the "rosa dos ventos" (rose of winds) in his arm - it´s a prototype of a republican prince. Without a throne, but proud of this fact.

Francisco is a son of Pedro Gastão who died some weeks ago and is a grandson of the prince whou renounced his position.

[...]

(In spanish) Pero cuando a Francisco se le pregunta por la monarquía, lo tiene claro: “Yo soy republicano. La monarquía en Brasil no funcionaría”.

(In portuguese) E quando perguntam a Francisco sobre a monarquia, a resposta é clara: "Eu sou republicano. A monarquia no Brasil não funcionaria."

(In english) And when Francisco´s asked about monarchy, the answer is clear: "I am a republican. The monarchy in Brazil wouldn´t work."

More clear than that, it´s impossible. Let´s go on with a few other lines:

(In spanish) De hecho, el príncipe-sin-trono-pero-con-cervecería-y-periódico, pertenece al Ramo de Petrópolis, como son conocidos los descendientes de Pedro de Alcântara de Orleáns y Bragança (1875–1940). Un ramo progresista y republicano.

(In portuguese) De fato, o príncipe-sem-trono-mas-com-cervejaria-e-periódico, pertence ao Ramo de Petrópolis, como são conhecidos os descendentes de Pedro de Alcântara de Orléans e Bragança (1875-1940). Um ramo progressista e republicano.

(In english) It´s true, the prince-without-a-throne-but-with-a-brewery-and-news-magazine, belongs to the Petrópolis branch, as the descendents of Pedro de Alcântara of Olréans and Braganza (1875-1940) are known. A republican and progressist branch.

Another one from the same interview:

(In spanish) Pedro renunció a los derechos dinásticos en 1908 para casarse con la checa Isabel de Dobrzenicz. Y abrió el camino de la saga de los príncipes sin trono: bodas con plebeyos.

(In portuguese) Pedro renunciou aos direitos dinásticos em 1908 para casar-se com a tcheca Elizabeth de Dobrzenicz. E abriu o caminho para a saga dos príncipes sem trono: casamentos com plebeus.

(In English) Pedro renounced his dynastic rights in 1908 so that he could marry the czech Elizabeth Dobrzenicz. And he opened the way to the saga of princes without a throne: marriages with commoners.

And another one:

(In spanish) “Creo que somos republicanos porque hay que adaptarse a la realidad. Además, somos respetados porque somos una família trabajadora”, asegura a Público Pedro Carlos de Orléans e Bragança, primogénito del ramo de Petrópolis.

(In portuguese) “Creio que somos republicanos por que temos que nos adaptar a realidade. Além do mais, somos respeitados por sermos uma familia trabalhadora” assegura públicamente Pedro Carlos de Orléans e Bragança, primogênito do ramo de Petrópolis.

(In english) "I believe that we are republicans because we need to adapt ourselves to reality. Besides, we´re respected because we are a family that works a lot" as Pedro Carlos of Orléans and Braganza, eldest of the Petrópolis branch openly assures.

Pedro Carlos is the oldest son of the late Dom Gastão and supposed "heir". A republican heir to an extinct monarchy?

(In spanish) Hubo presiones y boicot general. No pudimos hacer una campaña decente. Seguimos creyendo que la Monarquía puede ejercer un papel de moderador en la sociedad”, asegura a Público Antônio João de Orleáns e Bragança, del conservador ramo de Vassouras.

(In portuguese) Houve pressão e boicote geral. Não podemos fazer uma campanha decente. Continuamos a acreditar que a Monarquia pode exercer um papel moderador na sociedade, asegura públicamente Dom Antônio João de Orleans e Bragança do ramo conservador de Vassouras.

(In english) There was a pression and general boycotting. We couldnt´make a decent campaign. But we still believe the Monarchy could moderate the society", openly assures Dom Antonio João of Orléans and Braganza. from the conservative Vassouras branch.

Dom Antonio is the brother and second in the line of succession to Dom Luiz, just after his brother Dom Bertrand.

(In spanish) La diferencia con el aperturista ramo de Petrópolis es patente. “Si hoy se repitiese el plebiscito, nuestra postura sería la misma, la republicana”, afirma Pedro de Orleáns y Brangança.

(In portuguese) A diferença com o aberto ramo de Petrópolis é patente. “Se hoje se repetisse o plebisicito, nossa postura seria a mesma, republicana” afirma Pedro Carlos de Orleans e Bragança.

(In english) The differency between the Petrópolis and Vassouras branches are clear. "If there was another plebiscit again, our posture would be the same, that is, republican", as Pedro Carlos of Orléans and Braganza assures.

The "heir" of Pedro Gastão spoke. Is there someone else in here who still believe that the Petrópolis branch should be called "legitimate"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom