Imperial Family of Brazil 1: Ending 2021

• Thread starter CountessofLuxembourg
  • Start date

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They would never be members of the Imperial Family, because Prince Eudes ceased to be a Prince of Brazil when he renounced his Dynastic rights, in 1966. His Royal Highness is "just" a Prince of Orleans-Braganza.
I didn't express well, I said "members of the Imperial Family" but I meant it in the broadest sense, I know they cannot be Princes of Brazil.

But yes, the exclusion of Mrs. Mercedes de Orleans e Bragança and her descendents from the Order of Precedence is because she and Prince Eudes haven't married religiously.

Their marriage wasn't recognized by Prince Eudes' father, Prince Pedro Henrique, then the Head of the Imperial House, nor by the late Prince Pedro Gastão of Orleans-Braganza, who, by the time, was the Head of the House of Orleans-Braganza.
Do you know why the marriage wasn't recognized exactly? Just because it wasn't a religious wedding or there was some other reason?
I wonder because in the Order of Precedence are listed the second wife of Prince Francisco Humberto d'Orléans-Bragança and their two daughters, whose situation seems to be the same as the situation of Prince Eude's wife and children.

Do you know why the marriage wasn't recognized exactly? Just because it wasn't a religious wedding or there was some other reason? I wonder because in the Order of Precedence are listed the second wife of Prince Francisco Humberto d'Orléans-Bragança and their two daughters, whose situation seems to be the same as the situation of Prince Eude's wife and children.

Oh, she was his mistress. Prince Eudes married Mercedes Neves da Rocha fours day after he divorced from Princess Ana Maria.

His parents, the late Prince Pedro Henrique and the late Princess Maria Elizabeth never accepted the idea of divorce and remarriage.

I remember to read an article about the younger generation of Princess Isabel descendants, when one of Prince Eudes daughters by his second marriage, I think it was Maria Antônia, said that she and her siblings weren't much closer to their Royal relatives.

But yes, the late Prince Pedro Gastão accepted the remarriages of his own children. But His Royal Highness always liked to change the rules to suit his wishes.

Last edited:
TBH I find this ultra conservative stance somewhat scary and not in the christian spirit either (refusing to meet the mother of your grandchildren). I don't see how his children are to blame for their fathers supposed mistake either. IMO it is quite cold hearted and the opposite of how a christian -which they all claim they are- should be.

Wasn't the renouncement of prince Pedro de Alcantara invalid? There was no Brazilian law that required him (or any other member of the family) to marry equally IIRC. Furthermore, only a personal renounciation would be possible, so PdA could not renounce on his children's behalf. Neither was there a Bragança law either, the present head of the Portuguese house is married 'unequally' and Portugal's first Bragança queen was actually a commoner (albeit a noble one). The Brazilian state seems to recognise this as they returned the Petropolis properties to PG and not to LH. It is widely recognised that it is mainly due to the interference of ADss Isabelle aka 'Busabella' that princess Maria imposed these conditions upon her son. It seems the archduchess never got over the fact that one of her ladies in waiting married AD Franz Ferdinand.

TBH I find this ultra conservative stance somewhat scary and not in the christian spirit either (refusing to meet the mother of your grandchildren). I don't see how his children are to blame for their fathers supposed mistake either. IMO it is quite cold hearted and the opposite of how a christian -which they all claim they are- should be.

Prince Pedro Henrique and Princess Maria Elizabeth never refused to meet with Mercedes. And their children were never put aside by the rest of the family. They simply didn't received any title.

They're always present at family events.

Wasn't the renouncement of prince Pedro de Alcantara invalid? There was no Brazilian law that required him (or any other member of the family) to marry equally IIRC.

Prince Pedro de Alcântara's renouncement was totally valid. There was no law saying he should marry equally, but also, there was no law saying he couldn't renounce to his Dynastic rights.

Furthermore, only a personal renounciation would be possible, so PdA could not renounce on his children's behalf.

The moment the Prince signed the renouncement instrument, he ceased to be a Brazilian Dynast. Only Brazilian people born to a Brazilian Dynast can inherit the Brazilian Throne.

So, none of Prince Pedro de Alcântara's children had any rights to the Brazilian Throne.

The Brazilian state seems to recognise this as they returned the Petropolis properties to PG and not to LH.

Prince Pedro Gastão made an agreement with the Government while half of the family was in Europe. His Royal Highness was a very dishonest (a trait inherited by his eldest grandson, the Hereditary Prince of Orleans-Braganza). His sister, Princess Teresa, Mrs. Martorell, sued him, because he stole her inheritance.

Prince Pedro Henrique was in Europe by the time, he wasn't able to do something against Prince Pedro Gastão.

The vast majority of the Monarchists, foreign Royal House and the Brazilian Government recognizes Prince Luiz as the Head of the Imperial House. None of Prince Pedro de Alcântara's descendants are claming the Throne anymore, they are all Republicans.

Last edited:
And as you say, Brazillian, Princess Alexandra of Lux is considered a good dynastic candidate in spite of having a commoner mother of high quality. why not the same situation for other heirs?

Mariel, I'll not rule out the possibility of Prince Rafael's children marry unequally and keep their Dynastic rights (I don't like the idea, but I can't rule it out).

But for Prince Rafael, his sisters, and their Ligne cousins, it was already decided: they have to marry equally.

But for Prince Rafael, his sisters, and their Ligne cousins, it was already decided: they have to marry equally.

We will have to wait and see, but life has an interesting was of making "already decided" and "have to" fly out the window.

Prince Pedro Henrique and Princess Maria Elizabeth never refused to meet with Mercedes. And their children were never put aside by the rest of the family. They simply didn't received any title.

They're always present at family events.

This ALL is simply NOT TRUE.

Can you prove? Because all evidence shows exactly the contrary.

I can prove it easily! I keep the interviews by D. Eudes and D. Mercedes of the 80s (oh also two interesting ones by D. Maria of Bavaria).
And I could provide you their phone numbers.....
How old are you? It seems you did not watch tv in the early 90s either when D. Mercedes was interviewed in the small screen...

I can prove it easily! I keep the interviews by D. Eudes and D. Mercedes of the 80s (oh also two interesting ones by D. Maria of Bavaria).

Indeed, very interesting information. I would like to see those interviews.

And I could provide you their phone numbers.....

No, thank you. It would be too much intrusive.

How old are you? It seems you did not watch tv in the early 90s either when D. Mercedes was interviewed in the small screen...

Yes, I was a kid during the 90's, and I admit that much of what I said is based on information given by family members (thanks to God, I came from a Monarchist family).

My late great-grandmother was a friend of the late Princess Maria Elizabeth, and she (my great-grandmother) was never a big fan of Mrs. Mercedes, but I always thought that, now, thing were settled between the Orleans-Braganzas.

Indeed, very interesting information. I would like to see those interviews. .
The interviews by D. Maria of Bavaria are very difficult to find as one was given to the magazine Interview in 1980. This magazine has nothing to do with the giant mag that replaced it. It seems only the library of the Federal University of Paraíba keeps a copy. The second one I have was given to a young monarchist of English descent who died a few year later, in the middle of the 90s. I have the photocopies.
But D. Eudes´s interview where he talks about his relationship with his mother is available to buy at Playboy Nº 116 03/1985 de Victor Civita ( Ed e Dir) na Estante Virtual

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
Can you please tell us what they basically said in these interviews?

Princess Maria Gabriela of Orleans-Braganza, best known as Lelli de Orleans e Bragança, is quite a interesting person. I met her twice at events in Rio.

There's a good bio of hers at this forum: SAR a Princesa Dona Maria Gabriela de Orleans e Bragança (1959-)

"Princess Maria Gabriela Dorotéia Isabel Josefa Micaela Rafaela Gonzaga, born in Jundiaí do Sul, Paraná, on July 14, 1959, is the twelfth and youngest of the children of Prince Pedro Henrique(1909-1981), Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, and Princess Maria Elizabeth of Bavaria (1914-2011). At birth, His Royal Highness was the thirteenth in the line of succession to the throne of Brazil, coming right behind her twin sister, Princess Maria Teresa.

The Princess spent her early childhood in Jacarézinho, in countryside of Paraná, where his father was a farmer. In 1965, the Imperial Family moved to Vassouras, where Don Pedro Henrique had bought the Fazenda Santa Maria (St. Mary's Farm).

Princess Maria Gabriela has a Degree in Audivisual Technics, by PUC-Rio. Her Royal Highness is a painter, specialized in trompe l'oeil, she usually works with restoration historical buildings, besides having exposed her works in Brazil and Europe. In artistic circles, she is known as Lelli de Orleans e Bragança.

On December 18, 2003, Princess Maria Gabriela renounced for herself and for all her future descendants, the rights to the throne of Brazil. Two days later, she got married in the Chapel of Our Lady of Solitude in Teresopolis, with Theodoro Melo Franco Senna de Hungria Machado (born in 1952), who belongs to the Brazilian aristocracy, the son of Mr. Paulo Eduardo Machado Hungria and Mrs . Sylvia Emilia Melo Franco Senna Hungria Machado. They divorced in 2005, and had no children."

I asked one of my aunts, and she said that Her Royal Highness is in a relationship with Marcos Pilli. I believe he's a businessman. Here's a picture of the couple:
http://i40.tinypic.com/aow903.jpg

A picture of Her Royal Highness:
http://i42.tinypic.com/9abp8p.jpg

Wow, princess Maria Gabriela is so beautiful in the pics you shared. And yes, I agree. She resembles Princess Isabel even more that Princess Amelia.
Princess Amélia came to my mind because she's the sister I know better. I didn't have a clear picture of Maria Gabriela in my mind before, I think.

In any case, both princesses are stunning (so is prince Rafael ;))

Indeed, they are all very beautiful.

The girls resemble both sides of their family.

Rafael looks a lot like his father in this one, I think.
http://imgv2-2.scribdassets.com/img/word_document/117004790/255x300/34cecac522/1366860851

The pictures from their wedding are precious. Was the wedding in Brasil or Belgium?

The last picture is amazing. Amélie looks so serious but she's so cute. And I love what she's wearing.
D. Cristina is amazing. It seems she hasn't aged

The wedding took place in Belgium, at Chateau de Beloeil, the Ligne's castle in Hainaut. The then Hereditary Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg attended heavily pregnant, as Prince Guillaume was born less than two months after the wedding.

Early that year (1981), Princess Eleonora of Brazil (Prince Antônio's yonger sister) married Prince Michel of Ligne (Princess Cristina's older brother), in Rio de Janeiro. My grandparents attended the wedding.

A picture of Princess Eleonora's wedding: http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/306154_341554362616712_935811349_n.jpg

Prince Antônio really looks like his father, the late Prince Pedro Henrique (1909-1981).

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/166497_317618768343605_673406328_n.jpg

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/8444_373049452800536_634576649_n.jpg

The last picture was taken shortly after the Imperial Family's arrive in Brazil, after the end of their Exile.

^^ Gosh, he really looks like his father.

I didn't know they were exiled for a period. Just like the portuguese and many others actually. Where were they during exile? Maybe they socialized with D. Manuel II in London?

I didn't know they were exiled for a period. Just like the portuguese and many others actually.

They were forbidden from entering Brazil from 1889 to 1921.

But they were only able to return in 1945.

Where were they during exile?

They lived in France. I don't know if they ever met with King Manoel II (although it's probably), but I know that Prince Duarte Nuno, Duke of Braganza, courted Princess Pia Maria of Brazil (1913-2000).

I found two more pictures of Prince Antônio and Princess Cristina's wedding.

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/74161_326238374148311_1669826972_n.jpg

I believe the Prince's bestman was his brother, Prince Fernando of Orleans-Braganza. At the background, we can clearly see Prince Antônio's sister, Princess Isabel of Brazil (the lady with a white hat topped by which seems to be a feather).

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/528783_326237674148381_942144014_n.jpg

In the background, we can see the bride's brother, Prince Michel of Ligne (now, the 14th Prince of Ligne), wearing a military uniform, his wife, Princess Eleonora of Ligne (neé Princess of Brazil; also the groom's sister), wearing a white dress, and the bride's parents, Prince Antoine of Ligne (1925-2005) and Princess Alix of Ligne (neé Princess of Luxembourg; b. 1929).

The happy couple:

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/376276_326237260815089_370716679_n.jpg

Last edited:
Prince João Philippe of Orleans-Braganza (b. 27 November 1986) is engaged to Yasmin Paranaguá (b. 1987).

He is the son of Prince João Henrique of Orleans-Braganza and his former wife, Stella Lutterbach.

She is the daughter of Pedro and Naná Paranaguá.

The civil cerimony will be held on July 20. And the religious cerimony will be held on August 3, in Paraty.

source: Jornal do Commercio Marcia Peltier: Resistindo bravamente

Yasmin Paranaguá is from an Aristocratic Brazilian family, a descendant of João Lustosa da Cunha Paranaguá, Marquess of Paranaguá (1821-1912), he was a very important politician.

João Lustosa da Cunha Paranaguá

I met Yasmin and her parents some time ago in an event in Rio, they are very nice people.

My grandmother is a friend of Yasmin's grandmother, Glórinha Paranaguá, who was a friend of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

Yasmin and her parents, Pedro and Naná Paranaguá - http://www.hildegardangel.com.br/files/2011/02/salles-3719.jpg

Prince João Philippe's step-grandmother, Princess Thereza of Orleans-Braganza, was also present - http://www.hildegardangel.com.br/files/2011/02/salles-3703.jpg

HRH Prince João Henrique of Orleans-Braganza (father of Prince João Philippe) and Yasmin. I don't know who is the other women - http://www.annaramalho.com.br/news/images/site/0001-abr/5.jpg

They look like a very nice family.

Which Members of the Imperial Family will participate these days at the World Youth Days in Rio?Will the Imprial Family meet the Pope?

Which Members of the Imperial Family will participate these days at the World Youth Days in Rio?Will the Imprial Family meet the Pope?

They are devout Catholics, so I expect many of them to attend the festivities. But I don't know if they'll meet the Pope. Although there are some chances. The Archbishop of Rio de Janeiro is a Monarchist.

Rio will be so crowded, I'll go to Petrópolis with my family next week. We'll spend the entire week there, far away from everything that will be happening in Rio.

All the catholics of Brazil must be involved in the Pope's visit. I hope the Members of the Imperial Family will meet the holy Father.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom