Brazilian Imperial Palaces, residences etc

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
This thread has been created to discuss and show all the places connected to royalty in Brazil, which can be a (former) palace, statue, castle's, etc. Have fun!

Brazilian imperial palaces

There are also São Cristóvão Palace today a museum used to be the manly Imperor's residence,

Guanabara Palace, today govarnor offices, used tobe the crown princess residence as Isabel Palace

Grão-Pará Palace the Prince Dom Pedro Carlos residence in Petrópolis

Solar do Imperio, now a hotel used tobe the Princess Leopoldina's summer residence

Guanabara Palace

Guanabara Palace is nowadays the working office of the Governor of the State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Brazil has had 3 Capitals. The first one was Salvador (northeast region) then Rio de Janeiro (southeast region) and finally Brasilia (central west region). At the time of the monarchy, the Capital was Rio. The construction of the Guanabara Palace began in 1853 to be the residence of a rich Portuguese businessman named José Machado Coelho and it was used as such until the 1860s. When Princess Izabel got married to Count D’Eu, the Brazilian Imperial Government bought it to be their residence. The Palace went under major improvements, one of these being the plantation of a hundred Imperial palms (Roystonea oleracea) on the margins of the road that leads to it. It was there that Princess Izabel signed the Lei Áurea” – the Law that abolished slavery, while acting as regent .The Palace was then known as “Paço Izabel” (Izabel’s Palace) until the proclamation of the Republic (1889), when it was confiscated by the republican Government. Ever since, the Imperial Family descendents have been fighting in Justice in one of the oldest legal processes in Brazil to retake possession of it.

According to a legend described in the book “O Rio Pitoresco” written by the historian Sebastian Castrou, the Guanabara Palace is cursed. One of the slaves who worked on its first refurbishment was tortured by a supervisor and, before dying, placed a curse: "no inhabitant of this mansion will live here in tranquility.”
Whether or not the legend is true, nobody knows. However, for the superstitious, several historical facts have proven the legend to be true:
1) Princess Isabel, first ruler to occupy the Palace, was expelled from the place after the proclamation of the Republic in Brazil in 1889.
2) Marshal Hermes da Fonseca had just moved to the Palace after being elected President of Brazil when his wife, Orsina da Fonseca, died.
3) In 1907, the Palace went under another refurbishment by order of Mayor Francisco Marcellin de Souza Aguiar to welcome the following year, King Carlos I of Portugal. Carlos I; however, he was not able to enjoy the salons nor the 15,000 m2 garden designed by French landscape gardener Paul Villon, as well as the fountain surmounted by Neptune. Shortly before the trip was scheduled, in 1908, the King was assassinated
4) In 1920, King Albert I and Queen Elisabeth of Belgium came to Brazil and stayed for one month as guests in the Palace; when the King returned to his country he had an accident and died.
5) In the same decade, King Edward VIII, then Prince of Wales, was also a guest at the Palace. He ended up renouncing to the English throne in 1936 to marry Mrs. Wallis Simpson.
6) In 1930, while living at the Palace, Washington Luiz, President of Brazil, was deposed.
7) During the 1950s, the Guanabara Palace became seat of the City Hall. Eight mayors did not completed their mandate.

Pictures at Guanabara Palace - a set on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the palace be haunted ?

Sucha list of revolutions, deaths, renounciations...

Any occupant with a happy-end story ?

"Yo no credo en brujas, pero que las hay, las hay" ;)

There are plenty of other people who lived there and nothing that dramatic has happened to them.

Anyway, if an old house (or castle, or palace, or mannor) does not have any ghosts, what is the fun of it?

Do any of the present Imperial family live in any of these?

:previous:
No. Some of the descendents of Emperor Pedro II with no succession rights are living in the Palace of Grão-Pará, in Petrópolis, because their father, Prince Pedro Gastão of Orleans-Braganza, made an agreement with the Government, in the 40's.

Prince Luiz, the Head of the Imperial Family, lives in a rented house in São Paulo, with his brother and heir, Prince Bertrand, Prince Imperial of Brazil.

The Palace of Guanabara (the original name was Isabel Palace) was a personal property of Princess Isabel and her husband, the Count of Eu. The Republic stole the Palace.

The Imperial Family is still suing the Government (Princess Isabel appealed in court for the first time in 1891), in order to retrieve the Palace.

Prince Alberto of Orleans-Braganza, younger brother of Prince Luiz, the Head of the Imperial House, who is one of the best lawyers of Brazil,is in charge of the case.

The list of Brazilian Imperial residences:

1. Palácio de São Cristóvão (St. Christopher's Palace) - was the official residence of the Brazilian Emperors Pedro I and Pedro II, in Rio de Janeiro. Today, it's a science museum. Ficheiro:panorama do Museu Nacional Brasileiro (UFRJ).jpg

2. Paço Imperial (Imperial Palace) - was the Emperors workplace. Today, it's cultural center. Ficheiro:pacoImperial1.jpg

3. Fazenda Imperial de Santa Cruz (Holly Cross' Imperial Farm) - Emperor Pedro I's summer residence. Today, belongs to the Army.Ficheiro:Batalhão Vilagran Cabrita.jpg

4. Palácio de Verão (Summer Palace) - was Emperor Pedro II's summer residence, in Petrópolis. Today, it's the Imperial Museum.Ficheiro:petropolisMuseuImperial1-CCBYSA.jpg

5. Palácio do Grão-Pará (Palace of Grão-Pará) - was an annexe of the Summer Palace, used by courtiers. Today, belongs to Prince Pedro Carlos of Orleans-Braganza, a non-dynastic descendent of Emperor Pedro II.http://www.turismopelobrasil.net/turismo/admin/img_normal/G20116210529.jpg

6. Palácio Isabel (Isabel Palace) - was the residence of Princess Isabel, Princess Imperial of Brazil, and her husband, Prince Gaston, Count of Eu. The Republican Government stole it from them. Today, it's serves as the official residence of the Governor of the State of Rio de Janeiro, and it's called Palace of Guanabara. Ficheiro:palácio Guanabara exterior.JPG

7. Casa da Princesa Isabel (Princess Isabel's House) - was the summer residence of the Princess Imperial, in Petrópolis. It's owned by Prince Pedro Carlos of Orleans-Braganza, a non-dynastic descendent of Emperor Pedro II. His sister, Princess Cristina, runs an antiquary at the House. Ficheiro:W1-princesa wiki.JPG

8. Palácio Leopoldina (Leopoldina Palace) - was the residence of Princess Leopoldina, Emperor Pedro II's second daughter, and her husband, Prince Ludwig August of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, in Rio de Janeiro. The Palace was demolished in the 30's. Ficheiro:palácio Leopoldina.jpg

That was something that caught my attention too. That think about the taxes the imperial family receives in Petrópolis. Can you explain it better to us, BrazilianEmpire?

Of course.

When the Imperial Family was expelled from Brazil, after the Military Coup d'État, in 1889, their property was confiscated by the new Republican Government.

In 30's when Princess Isabel's eldest son, Prince Pedro de Alcântara of Orleans-Braganza (who had renounced his Dynastic rights in 1908) returned to Brazil with his wife and children. He made an agreement with the Government, who gave him Grão-Pará Palace, in Petrópolis, and rights over 2,5 % of the money earned from every property sold in Petrópolis.

Today, this money goes to Prince Pedro Carlos of Orleans-Braganza (b. 1945), Prince Pedro de Alcântara's grandson. He has no rights to the Brazilian Throne, but he lives in a Palace, earning money from the people.

On the order hand, Prince Luiz, who is the Head of the Brazilian Imperial House, lives in a rented house in São Paulo, with the financial help of some rich Monarchists.

Palace of Grão-Pará - http://www.turismopelobrasil.net/turismo/admin/img_normal/G20116210529.jpg

Prince Luiz's house - Rua Itápolis, 873, Pacaembu, São Paulo. You can look for the house on Google Maps.

Thanks for the explanation:flowers: It's pretty unfair that the money goes to the branch with no rights to the throne while the others, who work much more for the monarchic cause and are the rightful heirs have to rely on help.

As for the palace, I think it is ugly, but perhaps it is nice inside.

I like the lines of Princess Isabella's house. However I wonder if the paint on the palaces is as red as it seems in the pictures. Seems too red to me. Maybe I am not on the wavelength of South American flamboyance? But Rafael does not seem flamboyant. It is rare, to be sure, when palaces meet our taste in any country. Buckingham Palace, as dark and as Petropalace is red. I have seen some palaces in pictures on this RF site which I love, such as the Octagon house where Princess Beatrix is now living, and the Swedish summer house. I also mostly like Berg Palace in Luxembourg.

I like the lines of Princess Isabella's house. However I wonder if the paint on the palaces is as red as it seems in the pictures.flamboyance?

The three Palaces are pink.

St. Christopher's Palace, the Emperor's official residence in Rio de Janeiro -

http://www.camara.gov.br/internet/infdoc/HistoriaPreservacao/Imagens/Cristovao2.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tUOij6nvbNE/Tvm0GWdBOvI/AAAAAAAAAgo/pl6Sf6O3ixQ/s1600/Pa%25C3%25A7o_de_S%25C3%25A3o_Crist%25C3%25B3v%25C3%25A3o.jpg

http://www.museunacional.ufrj.br/MuseuNacional2010/JPEG/Museu20Nacional2020004.JPG

Isabel's Palace (now called Guanabara Palace), Princess Isabel's home in Rio -

http://vanesalopez.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/palacio-guanabara.jpg

http://www.vidrado.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Vista-Aérea-do-Palácio-Guanabara-Reformado-RJ.jpg

The second picture of the palace in Rio is very nice, Brazillian. Nice color, nice landscaping, just generally stately.

Thanks for the further interview translation of Rafael.

The second picture of the palace in Rio is very nice, Brazillian. Nice color, nice landscaping, just generally stately.

Oh, yes, the Brazilian Imperial Palaces never had the same grandeur of the European Palaces, but they are all really beautiful constructions. They have a very much Brazilian style.

Does the family have use of the Imperial Palaces? Or are they used by the president and or others?

Does the family have use of these? Or are they used by the president and or others?

The Palaces are museums now. Rio de Janeiro is no longer the capital of Brazil.

The President lives in Brasília (the capital), in a horrible "modern" palace - http://www.yourwonder.com/photos/F6F709E971F0151D.jpg

Prince Luiz, the Head of the Imperial Family, lives in a rented house in São Paulo, with his brother and heir, Prince Bertrand, Prince Imperial of Brazil.

The Palace of Guanabara (the original name was Isabel Palace) was a personal property of Princess Isabel and her husband, the Count of Eu. The Republic stole the Palace.

The Imperial Family is still suing the Government (Princess Isabel appealed in court for the first time in 1891), in order to retrieve the Palace.

Prince Alberto of Orleans-Braganza, younger brother of Prince Luiz, the Head of the Imperial House, who is one of the best lawyers of Brazil,is in charge of the case.

Maybe you'll find this thread useful - http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...alaces-castles-and-other-buildings-15585.html

Does the family have use of the Imperial Palaces? Or are they used by the president and or others?

I think someone in the forum already said that the Palacio do Grão-Pará (or Grão-Pará Palace) is the home of Dom Pedro Carlos de Orléans e Bragança e Bourbon, one of the pretendors of the throne. The last time I was in Petropolis, I was told that he is also the owner of the Princess' Isabel House.

The President does have a house in Petropolis but never goes there. The place is called Palácio Rio Negro and it belonged to the baron of Rio Negro. It is located in a beautiful avenue where everyone that had money and title built there mansions so that when the emperor went to Petropolis, they could also go there and be near him. (Princess' Isabel House is in the end of this avenue). Here is a picture of the Palácio Rio Negro:

http://www.petropolis.rj.gov.br/fct/images/joomgallery/originals/atrativos_turisticos_13/aberto_a_visitacao_14/palacio_rio_negro_20120731_1017036868.jpg

The baron also built a smaller house next to the original one for his son (the picture is small but you can see them both)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_sC_wF7Ol6z0/SmPG01zNd_I/AAAAAAAAAXc/w7WVcPa87qU/s400/pal%C3%A1cio+rio+negro.jpg

Dom Pedro II visited the United States in 1876 to join President Grant at the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition.
Pedro met Alexander Graham Bell at the exposition.
Dom Pedro II was the first person to buy stock in the Bell Telephone Company.
One of the first telephones in a private residence was installed in the Emperor's Palace in Petropolis.

It's such a tragedy. Most of the collections seems to be lost and according to what I've read the building itself is reduced to a shell that is at the risk of crumbling.
It seems there was no fire protection measures to speak off and the big question is if Brazil has the funds to restore the palace.

Absolutely tragic to see this fire. Every fire is tragic and this one takes irreplaceable items. Very sad to see this.

Destroying most of its collection of 20 million historical items they say. It's really terrible!

It is horrific that fire destroyed amazing pieces of art.

On a cynical note, I hope that the fire in question happened due to negligence in carrying out safety procedures and was not a cover-up for stealing artifacts and pieces of art.

Last edited:
From what I read the building was neglected for years and years. Some former imperial rooms -closed for the public- had roofs covered with plastic and the electric wiring was hanging loose. When the fire brigade came it seemed that even the fire hydrants were not working.

There is nothing left of the building apart from the walls.

What an enormous loss.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom