The Habsburg Monarchy and Dynasty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HSH Princess Marie-Annunciata, HSH Princess Marie-Astrid, HSH Prince Joseph-Emmanuel, HRH Princess Marguerite and HSH Prince Nichlaus of Liechtenstein. Princess Marguerite is the daughter of GD Jean and GDss Josephine-Charlotte of Luxembourg.

pre-SEEGER00125798.jpg

HIRH Archduchess Marie-Asdrid of Austria (nee Princess of Luxembourg) and her daughter HIRH Archduchess Marie-Christine of Austria.

pre-SEEGER00125846.jpg

we see so amny royals on this picture! Among them HRH Prince Guillaume & Princess Sybilla of Luxembourg and HSH Furst Hans-Adam II and Furstin Marie-Aglae of Liechtenstein. The lady in white is HM Queen Fabiola of the Belgians. I also recognise HRH Prince Carlos of Bourbon-Parma (next to Pss Sybilla), HIRH Archduke Joachim of Austria, HIRH Archduchess Maria-Laura of Austria, Princess of Belgium (between Prince Joseph-Emmanuel of Liechtenstein and Princess Marie-Annunciata of Liechtenstein) Prince of Belgium and HSH Princess Isabelle of Liechtenstein (apart from the people I recognised above)

pre-SEEGER00125774.jpg

HIRH Princess Sophie of Windisch-Graetz, nee Archduchess of Austria (granddaughter of the count of Kyburg who was a brother of Emperor Karl I), HRH the Princess of Naples, HRH the Prince of Napels.

pre-SEEGER00125777.jpg

HIRH Archduchess Regina of Austria, nee Princess of Saxe-Meiningen, HIRH Archduke Gerog of Austria, HIRH Archduke Otto of Austria, HIRH Archduchess Regina of Austria.

pre-SEEGER00125800.jpg

1. HRH Princess Sybilla of Luxembourg and her son Prince Jean
2. HRH Dom Duarte of Portugal and his wife Princess Isabel

pre-SEEGER00125794.jpg
pre-SEEGER00125801.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
the archdukes/archduchesses Fransesca (born Baroness Thyssen), Karl, Anna-Eugenia (born Pss of Aremberg), Felix, Karl-Ludwig, Yolande (born Princess de Ligne), ? , Margarita (born Princess of Italy (Aosta))

pre-SEEGER00125834.jpg

hirh Archduchess Francesca, HIRH Archduke Karl with their youngest daughter.
pre-SEEGER00125844.jpg

HSH Furstin Marie of Liechtenstein

pre-SEEGER00125845.jpg

HIRH Archduke Carl-Christian and HIRH Archduchess Marie0Astrid of Austria with their children.
pre-SEEGER00125799.jpg

HM Queen Fabiola kisses the hand of the pope.

pre-SEEGER00125770.jpg

Archduke Michael (of the hungarian branch) and his wife Archduchess Cristine (nee Princess of Lowenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg) and Archduchess Gabriella

pre-SEEGER00125867.jpg

Archduchess Constanza of Austria (dau of Karl-Ludwig and Yolande), Princess Auersperg-Trautson. I believe she was engaged to the father of the so-called 'duke of Anjou' untill the man died in an accident.

pre-SEEGER00125866.jpg

HIRH Archduchess Margarita of Austria(-Este), nee Princess of Aosta (Italy) and widow of Archduke Robert. One of her sons is Archduke Lorenz who married Princess Astrid of Belgium.

pre-SEEGER00125860.jpg

Archduke Otto and his wife Archduchess Regina and the pope.

51389789.jpg

JimBob on the glittering royal events messageboard made a lst of all the royals which attended the ceremony:

Queen Fabiola of the Belgians
Prince Hans Adam & Princess Marie of Liechtenstein
Archduke Otto & Archduchess Regina of Austria
Archduke Karl & Archduchess Francesca of Austria
Archduke Ferdinand-Zvonimir of Austria
Archduchess Eleonore of Austria
Archduchess Gloria of Austria
Archduke Georg & Archduches Eilika of Austria
Archduke Carl Constantine of Austria
Archduchess Gabriela of Austria
Archduchess Margherita of Austria-Este
Archduke Lorenz & Archduchess Astrid of Austria-Este, Prince & Princess of Belgium
Archduke Amadeo of Austria-Este, Prince of Belgium
Archduchess Luisa-Maria of Austria-Este, Princess of Belgium
Archduke Felix of Austria
Archduke Carl Ludwig & Princess Yolande of Austria
Archduke Carl Christian & Archduchess Marie-Astrid of Austria
Archduke Imre of Austria
Archduke Christophe of Austria
Archduke Alexander of Austria
Archduches Marie-Christine of Austria
Archduchess Gabriella of Austria
Archduchess Constanza of Austria, Princess von Auersperg-Trautson & Prince Franz Josef, Prince von Auersperg-Trautson
Princess Ladislaya von Auersperg-Trautson
Prinzessin Maria Anna von Auersperg-Trautson
Archduke Rudolf & Archduchess Anna Gabriele of Austria
Archduke Carl Peter & Archduchess Alexandra of Austria
Archduchess Sophie of Austria, Princess zu Windisch-Graetz & Prince Hugo, Prince zu Windisch-Graetz
Archduke Michael & Archduchess Christiana of Austria
Father Paul von Habsburg (formerly Archduke Paul of Austria)
Prince Michael of Baden
Prince Max Emanuel of Bavaria, Duke in Bavaria
Princess Lea of Belgium
Prince Kubrat & Princess Carla of Bulgaria, Prince & Princess of Panagiúrishte
Dowager Princess Paula zu Fürstenberg
Crown Prince Vittorio Emanuele and Crown Princess Marina of Italy, Prince & Princess of Naples
Prince Nikolaus & Princess Margaretha of Liechtenstein
Prince Josef Emanuel of Liechtenstein
Princess Maria Annunciata of Liechtenstein
Princess Marie-Astrid of Liechtenstein
Prince Guillaume & Princess Sibilla of Luxembourg
Prince Jean de Nassau
Prince Moritz & Princess Lioba, Prince & Princess zu Oettingen-Oettingen und Oettingen-Wallerstein
Prince Carlos Hugo of Bourbon-Parma, Duke of Parma
Prince Carlos of Bourbon-Parma
Princess Carolina of Bourbon-Parma
Princess Françoise of Bourbon-Parma, Princess von Lobkowicz
Prince Charles-Henri von Lobkowicz
Duke & Duchess of Bragança
Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia
Princess Anastasia of Prussia, Princess zu Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg & Prince Alois-Konstantin zu Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg
Princess Marie Luise of Prussia, Countess von Schönburg-Glauchau & Count Rudolf von Schönburg-Glauchau
Prince Alexander & Princess Gabriela, Prince & Princess zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn
Prince Christian Peter zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn
Dowager Princess Benita of Schaumburg-Lippe
Princess Anne of Bourbon Two Sicilies, Duchess of Calabria
Prince Carlos & Princess Camilla of Bourbon Two Sicilies, Duke & Duchess of Calabria
Hereditary Duke Friedrich of Württemberg

Her mother wear her hair long when she was young and she was very attractive.

I have found two images Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg .The first dates from year 1962 (8 year old) where you can see a Marie-Astrid with more than shoulder length hair, the second from 1966 (12 year old) on which she wear her beautiful blond hair a little shorter just above her shoulders. The third picture dates from 1970 (16 year old) the periode (the fourth to sixth image also) (1968-1974) during which she wear her beautiful hair very long. I saw a photo on which she has waist long hair and looks very beautiful:) . It was a rarity at that time to find a princess with such long blond hair like in the fairytales. On the last photo you see a Princess Marie-Astrid in 1974 (20) after she cut her long blond hair. It was a pity for her lovely hair (she never had long hair again!).
Nevertheless Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg was and is still at the age of 50 one of the most beautiful princesses the world ever saw!:eek:

Attachments

• Marie Astrid11962.jpg
    Marie Astrid11962.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,687
  • MarieAstrid21966.jpg
    MarieAstrid21966.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 687
  • marastr1.jpg
    marastr1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 647
  • Marie-Astridlh2.jpg
    Marie-Astridlh2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 2,822
  • Marie Astrid lh3.jpg
    Marie Astrid lh3.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,189
  • Marie Astrid lh4.jpg
    Marie Astrid lh4.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 2,252
  • MarieAstrid1974.jpg
    MarieAstrid1974.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 779
Last edited:
Here are three recent photos of Marie Astrid and her beautiful children at the beatification of Emperor Karl of Austria taken in October 2004!!!

Attachments

• Marie Astrid Family October a.jpg
    Marie Astrid Family October a.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 2,023
  • Marie Astrid family october b.jpg
    Marie Astrid family october b.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 3,884
  • Marie Astrid  Family October c.jpg
    Marie Astrid Family October c.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 3,293
Last edited:
I didn't even know about these 3 Princesses and my family is Austrian. Are they related to the Hapsburgs in any way?

Marie Christine and Gabriella's father Archduke Carl Christian is a nephew of Archduke Otto, son of the last Emperor of Austria.

Hello, for all the fans of Princess Marie-Astrid and her beautiful daughters I would recommend the follwing link, I've created:http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=135982#post135982

:) In this thread you see gorgeous photos of Princess Marie-Astrid as a beautiful child and recent photos of her, recent and old photos of her beautiful daughters.:)

My nationality is Luxembourgish and I'm a great fan of the Grand Ducal family, especially of Princess Marie-Astrid and her family (also Archiduchess of Austria) and of Princess Margaretha and her family. I'm so sad that we rarely see images of them in Luxembourg.:mad:
:) I would be very pleased if you would reply to these photos and sent others you have and which are not yet shown in the forum.
Bye bye, drimal;)

Last edited:
Also being a monarchist, I don't think there was a requirement for the end of the monarchy. I think a transition from the autocratic Imperial Monarchy, to a Commonwealth of national constitutional Monarchies eg: Kingdom of Austria, Kingdom of Hungary, Kingdom of Serbia etc would have been more effective.

Perhaps such a transition would have done something to prevent the instability of the region in the century after the First World War.

I am sure I am getting all kinds of family relationships mixed up but is not archduke maximilian the man who had some objection to the marrying of someone in his family to the the daughter of thyssen bornemiza

Francesca B-Thyssen

It was Karl Habsburg who married Francesca Bornemizsa-Thyssen (I hope I got the name right). The marriage was quite controversial as she used to be a wild party girl, and the older - and more conservative - members of the Habsburg family objected to her. However, she was a quite demure-looking bride and hasn't been involved in any scandals since. It seems that her marriage is over and they are separated, but being strict Catholics they can't or won't get a divorce.

susan alicia said:
I am sure I am getting all kinds of family relationships mixed up but is not archduke maximilian the man who had some objection to the marrying of someone in his family to the the daughter of thyssen bornemiza

There are so many archdukes around it gets confusing, for me too :)

Archduke Karl of Austria (Otto's eldest son) is married to Francesca Thyssen. I don't know if the couple has split up, they are living apart anyways ... a pitty since they have 3 children. But they're still seen together at parties and family gatherings so maybe all is not lost yet ...?

As far as the Austrian glossies tell us, they have split up and meet at diverse social functions and family meetings so as not to aggravate the rest of the family and keep up appearances. Oh, well. Karl Habsburg always makes me grateful that Austria's become a republic, anyway.

Family fall-out

Smilla said:
It was Karl Habsburg who married Francesca Bornemizsa-Thyssen (I hope I got the name right). The marriage was quite controversial as she used to be a wild party girl, and the older - and more conservative - members of the Habsburg family objected to her.
Some of the more traditional members of the Habsburg family opposed the marriage of the Archduke Karl with Baroness Francesca Thyssen-Bornemisza in 1993 (some actually declined to attend the wedding!) because they did not consider the bride to be "equal". In other words Francesca did not belong to a Royal, Princely or Mediatised House, and was therefore unsuitable marriage material for an Austrian Archduke (more so when he is the Heir of the dynasty.)

However, the Archduke Otto, Karl's father and Head of the Imperial and Royal House, deemed the marriage to be "equal" and so Francesca is an Archduchess of Austria, Imperial and Royal Highness, and her children have full dynastic rights.

The house laws were changed in the early 90s or late 80s to allow marriage to women of noble rank or lineage. These marriages would be recognized as equal. Thus the problem with Francessca wasn't so much her title of Baroness per se. But rather she lacked a long noble lineage, and her family & lifestyle were somewhat questionable.

What is wrong with AD Karl?

Smilla said:
Karl Habsburg always makes me grateful that Austria's become a republic.

Why is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom