The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-05-2019, 07:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedrich Karl II View Post
And Czechs never would accept someone German speaking head of state, king or president. And reason you can find from history.

This is, I think, the second time this was claimed here... Ever heared of the Prince of Schwarzenberg?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karel_Schwarzenberg

He was at least czech foreign minister lately. And languages can be learned...

Old 11-05-2019, 07:14 PM
Courtier

They were technically kings of Hungary until the 1940s, but I get the impression that they think of themselves as being Austrian. I can't see a restoration happening, though, not after all this time.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:00 PM
Serene Highness

As much as i would love to see Austria being a Monarchy again and Hofburg and Schönbrunn become REAL royal palaces again, we have to be realistic. The chance of it ever happen is 0,0001 %. I simply can’t imagine that there is much public support for a monarchy there. It’s hardly talked about in schools as something ”actual” so the generations of today and tomorrow is (and rightfully so) being brought up with the knowledge that the Empire is a part of their long gone history but that the republic is their ”now” and their ”tomorrow”.

And the Habsburg-generation of today is a joke, compared to their ancestors. At least the Habsburg-Lorraine branch. Karl and Georg still arguing about who is the rightful heir to a monarchy that doesn’t exist since 1918, because the elder happened to marry someone who according to the old rules is not royal enough is quite telling.... If they truly belive that they (and not the citizens of Austria) will choose who to reign in case of monarchy being reinstated and that the rules pre-1918 should be applied to a modern monarchy in the 2020:s (semi-salic sucession, forcing your children to marry other royals to be allowed to stay in the line of sucession etc) then it just proves that none of them is fit to reign...

I don’t know much about the other Habsburg-branches except Lorenz, Amedeo, Maximilian and Joachim of Belgium (who according to the old rules are nr 4, 5, 6 and 7 in the austrian line of sucession or perhaps 3, 4, 5 and 6 if we exclude Karl’s son Ferdinand-Zvonimir), so i won’t say too much, but from the Habsburg-Lorraine branch, the last one being fit to reign and who understood both his history and the modern time was Crown Prince Otto.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:10 AM
Heir Apparent

It is true. It would be quite interesting to see Hofburg once again inhabited by the Habsburg Family.
But unfortunately, this is unlikely to happen.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:03 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
And the Habsburg-generation of today is a joke, compared to their ancestors. At least the Habsburg-Lorraine branch. Karl and Georg still arguing about who is the rightful heir to a monarchy that doesn’t exist since 1918, because the elder happened to marry someone who according to the old rules is not royal enough is quite telling.... If they truly belive that they (and not the citizens of Austria) will choose who to reign in case of monarchy being reinstated and that the rules pre-1918 should be applied to a modern monarchy in the 2020:s (semi-salic sucession, forcing your children to marry other royals to be allowed to stay in the line of sucession etc) then it just proves that none of them is fit to reign...

I don’t know much about the other Habsburg-branches except Lorenz, Amedeo, Maximilian and Joachim of Belgium (who according to the old rules are nr 4, 5, 6 and 7 in the austrian line of sucession or perhaps 3, 4, 5 and 6 if we exclude Karl’s son Ferdinand-Zvonimir), so i won’t say too much, but from the Habsburg-Lorraine branch, the last one being fit to reign and who understood both his history and the modern time was Crown Prince Otto.
The major breach is between the main line (Karl & Georg) and the Este branch (Archdukes Lorenz, Gerhard, & Martin). Karl and Georg seem largely distanced from the rest of their cousins as well. As you remarked, the cause for the dispute is Karl's marriage to Francesca - which is now basically over, but they seem to be happy with the status quo.

Karl and Francesca's children may seem like a joke, but they are more wealthy than their cousins. If they ever decided to use their $$$ to promote a restoration, or at least to be more present in Austrian cultural life, then they could certainly make an impact.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:37 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I agree a restoration in Austria seems to be unlikely. When I visited Vienna last in 2014, I noticed that the local businesses loved linking themselves to Empress Sisi but I can imagine that was more for tourism or marketing benefits rather than being genuinely keen in keeping up the country's imperial heritage. There are certainly plenty of signs of the old empire, but I remember speaking to an Austrian who said that he enjoys following the British royal family but he doesn't particularly want his "own" royal/imperial family back since it would be too complicated for the country. I don't know what the view is like in the rest of Austria since he was a fairly young Viennese businessman, but I can imagine it would be similar. I've noticed that in a lot of countries that had famous monarchies enjoy following other current royal families but are less enthusiastic about their own, e.g. France. (However, I do remember seeing lots of coverage on the Count of Paris and his family in the local magazines when I went to the South West.)

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-06-2019, 07:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I agree a restoration in Austria seems to be unlikely. When I visited Vienna last in 2014, I noticed that the local businesses loved linking themselves to Empress Sisi but I can imagine that was more for tourism or marketing benefits rather than being genuinely keen in keeping up the country's imperial heritage. There are certainly plenty of signs of the old empire, but I remember speaking to an Austrian who said that he enjoys following the British royal family but he doesn't particularly want his "own" royal/imperial family back since it would be too complicated for the country. I don't know what the view is like in the rest of Austria since he was a fairly young Viennese businessman, but I can imagine it would be similar. I've noticed that in a lot of countries that had famous monarchies enjoy following other current royal families but are less enthusiastic about their own, e.g. France. (However, I do remember seeing lots of coverage on the Count of Paris and his family in the local magazines when I went to the South West.)
What I have noticed is that , in most Catholic countries that were formerly monarchies such as Portugal, France, Austria, Italy and, I would add Brazil too, the movements advocating the return of the monarchy seem to be frequently associated with far-right, ultra-conservative or reactionary groups. They project and advocate a model of monarchy that is very different from the liberal , constitutional monarchies of northern /northwestern Europe or even the modern Spanish monarchy, which was restored by a fascist regime , but nonetheless then reinvented itself as a democratic monarchy.

I think that kind of association turns many potential monarchists off and hurts the cause of restoration in those countries.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
And the Habsburg-generation of today is a joke, compared to their ancestors. At least the Habsburg-Lorraine branch. Karl and Georg still arguing about who is the rightful heir to a monarchy that doesn’t exist since 1918, because the elder happened to marry someone who according to the old rules is not royal enough is quite telling....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
The major breach is between the main line (Karl & Georg) and the Este branch (Archdukes Lorenz, Gerhard, & Martin). Karl and Georg seem largely distanced from the rest of their cousins as well. As you remarked, the cause for the dispute is Karl's marriage to Francesca - which is now basically over, but they seem to be happy with the status quo.
If the breach has continued up to this moment, there surely must be other causes at play? No matter their stances on equal marriage in 1993, Lorenz as of 2014 was happy to see his eldest son marry a mere "Nobile", and Gerhard is now himself married to a commoner.

Quote:
If they truly belive that they (and not the citizens of Austria) will choose who to reign in case of monarchy being reinstated and that the rules pre-1918 should be applied to a modern monarchy in the 2020:s (semi-salic sucession, forcing your children to marry other royals to be allowed to stay in the line of sucession etc) then it just proves that none of them is fit to reign...

Regarding belief in old semi-Salic rules, I wonder if that is the position taken by Lorenz. He accepted becoming a Prince of Belgium and also joined the royal council of Margareta, the then crown princess of the Romanian royal family. From my understanding, both arrangements would be difficult for a believer in semi-Salic or Salic rules to accept.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
What I have noticed is that , in most Catholic countries that were formerly monarchies such as Portugal, France, Austria, Italy and, I would add Brazil too, the movements advocating the return of the monarchy seem to be frequently associated with far-right, ultra-conservative or reactionary groups. They project and advocate a model of monarchy that is very different from the liberal , constitutional monarchies of northern /northwestern Europe or even the modern Spanish monarchy, which was restored by a fascist regime , but nonetheless then reinvented itself as a democratic monarchy.

I think that kind of association turns many potential monarchists off and hurts the cause of restoration in those countries.
Yes, I've seen this pattern too. Louis Alphonse, the Duke of Anjou, is a member of the Vox movement, a Spanish right-wing political group and was seen at the re-burial of Franco (though probably more as his great-grandson rather than because of his political views) and IIRC he's supported other right-wing and fascist movements in the past. Even here in the UK, where we've always had a royal family - one that is probably the world's most famous - there is still a viewpoint that royalists and supporters of right-wing politics are connected. Even when I have conversations with people offline about the royals and say that I'm interested in them, I often get a few eyebrows raised if the person I'm talking to doesn't know me well. Whilst this is true for some, there are a lot of royal watchers with more liberal or left-wing views (myself included), but the royalist+right-wing rhetoric is still there even here. And back to Austria; given the fact that right-wing parties are probably a touchy subject due to the Nazi occupation, it's probably not something a lot of Austrians would want to encourage.
(I wonder if there are any Austrians here who could vouch or disagree with this?)

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-23-2020, 08:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Is there any chance of restoring the monarchy in Austria?
Old 02-23-2020, 10:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
There have been elections recently. Neither the ÖVP of the young Bundeskanzler Kurz (Christian-democrats), nor the social-democrat SPÖ, nor the Conservative FPÖ, have mentioned the monarchy in their manifestos.

The Schwarz-Gelben Allianz (Black-Yellow Alliance), the major monarchist Union in Austria has tried to join in various regional and national elections but in no any Wahlkreiz (constituency) it ever managed to collect enough registrations of support* to field a candidate.

Die Monarchisten - Schwarz-Gelbe Allianz

* A registration of support, a so called Understutzungserklärung, has to be filed at the municipality or a Court of Justice. So it is not "just a click" on a website.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post

Not really. Austria is deeply republican so there hardly is restoration of monarchy. There barely is even any serious movement/party which would approve that.