Imperial House of Habsburg 2: June 2007-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was searching infos about Archduchess Elisabeth of Austria (1957-1983), eldest daughter of Archdukes Ferdinand and Helene. Here's a picture of her

http://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-families/habsburg/hbl-lothringen3/1957%20Elisabeth-1.jpg

Thank you, MAfan. Purely by accident I found Archduchess Elisabeth while watching a 1963 video of the marriage of Princess Alexandra of Kent and Sir Angus Ogilvy. Elisabeth was then six years old and served as a junior bridesmaid at the wedding. I was surprised, as I didn't know that there were any close links between the British royal family and the Habsburgs, but upon reflection it makes perfect sense, because the bride's mother was Princess Marina of Kent (née of Greece and Denmark), whose older sister Elisabeth of Greece and Denmark (a Countess of Toerring-Jettenbach by marriage) was the grandmother of little Archduchess Elisabeth. At any rate, the young Elisabeth appears for a few seconds beginning at minute 1:01 of the video and then again at 2:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDlsGGalSIM&NR=1&feature=endscreen
It is so sad that Archduchess Elisabeth died at such a young age... only 20 years after this video was made. Does anyone know the circumstances? She was such a beautiful little girl and young woman. It is also striking that her sister, Archduchess Sophie, has suffered a great deal of early loss. In 2010 Sophie and her husband, Prince Mariano Hugo of Windisch-Grätz, lost their second son, Alexis, when he was 18 or 19 years old in a car accident. To lose a sister and then a son so very young... what profound sadness.

Last edited:
It is believed that ADss Elisabeth died of a brain tumor. Very sad indeed.

Ah.... Thank you, Marengo. So sad indeed. Archduchess Elisabeth's maternal grandmother, Princess Elisabeth of Greece and Denmark (for whom the little Archduchess was named), also died of cancer at the relatively young age of 50.

Last edited:
HI&RH Archduke Heinrich of Austria passed away on 20 March 2014, aged 89.

Born in 1925, he was the second son of Archduke Maximilian (himself the younger brother of Emperor Karl I) and of his wife, née Princess Franziska zu Hohenlohe-Waldenburg-Schillingsfürst.
He was married since 1961 to Countess Ludmila von Galen, by whom he had three sons (Philipp, Ferdinand and Konrad) and a daughter, Marie-Christine.
He is survived by his wife, their children, three daughters-in-law and seven grandchildren.

Royal Musings: Archduke Heinrich of Austria (1925-2014)

General News & Information about other members of the Austrian Imperial Family

I thought I would create this thread as there wasn't a thread for the Archduke in question. I also decided to create this thread as I feel that it would be useful to have a thread about the other Austrian Royals who don't have their own threads. I hope this is alright and if there is indeed a thread relating to the Archduke (I looked and couldn't find one), then please feel free to move this there.

Archduke Rudolf of Austria, the brother of Archduke Carl Christian (husband of Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg) is going to visit Salaberry-de-Valleyfield in Quebec in connection with the closing celebrations of the seventy fifth anniversary of the 1032 Assembly-Colonel of Salaberry and the Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus. Archduke Michael of Austria, his son, will also be present. The reception will be held in the city hall.

For those who are unaware; Archduke Rudolf is the son of Archduke Carl Ludwig and his wife, Princess Yolande de Ligne. He is married to Baroness Hélène de Villenfagne de Vogelsanck and they have seven children: Archduke Carl Christian (b. 1977), Archduchess Priscilla (b. 1978), Archduke Johannes (b. 1981), Archduke Thomas (b. 1983), Archduchess Marie des Neiges (b. 1986), Archduke Franz Ludwig (b. 1988), Archduke Michael (b. 1990) and Archduke Joseph (b. 1991).

Here is a photo of Archduke Rudolf.

Source: Prochaine visite de l’archiduc Rudolf au Québec

Last edited:
Hungary’s new Ambassador to the Holy See has been named as Eduard Habsburg-Lothringen, the great-great-great grandson of the late Austro-Hungarian emperor and Hungarian king Franz Joseph I and his wife, Queen Elizabeth. The diplomat, who currently lives in the Austrian capital Vienna and goes by the full name Eduard Karl Joseph Michael Marcus Koloman Volkhold Maria Habsburg-Lothringen, has been studying the Hungarian language intensively for the last year, Valasz.hu reports.
Read more: Descendant Of Habsburg Emperor Franz Joseph And Queen Sissy Becomes Hungary's Ambassador To The Vatican - Hungary Today

That's interesting.
The article mentions also the current Austrian Ambassador to the Holy See, Alfons M. Kloss, who is Archduke Eduard's brother-in-law (and not his father-in-law, as mentioned in the article). Alfons Kloss is himself a Habsburg descendant, being the grandson of Alfons von Kloss and of his wife, Archduchess Eleonore of Austria (the daughter of Archduke Karl Stefan and Archduchess Marie Therese).
Curiously, also the wives of Alfons Kloss and of Archduke Eduard, Baroness Anna and Baroness Marie Therese von Gudenus, are Habsburg descendants, their mother being the late Countess Anna Maria von Meran (descendant from Archduke Johann, son of Holy Roman Emperor Leopold II).

:previous:
Very interesting and I find your blog to be also the same. I like reading about strong women in ancient history. Thank you!

Count Massimiliano Secco D'Aragona has left his wife Archuchess Catharina. He is now together with Julia Oetker. Her husband José Ruiz Berdejo y Sigurta who is apparently a cousin of Massimiliano is now together with Pia Getty one of the sisters of Crown Princess Marie Chantal of greece
Julia Oetker liebt jetzt den Cousin ihres Mannes - Leute - Bild.de

Now what a surprise. Very sad for the ADss the couple's children.

That must make for some tense family reunions in the Secco family.

Quite a (sad) surprise indeed.
Josè Antonio Ruiz Berdejo Sigurtà is indeed the cousin of Massimiliano Secco d'Aragona, since their mothers Clelia and Giuseppina are sisters.

Ah, in that case it would be muchetti family reunions, accoring to the peerage ;). Thanks!

Anywayy, "we country dwellers must beware of being provincial" as a dowager countess once said, so I will keep it at that.

Dimitri of Habsburg attended the amfAR Gala Milano in Milan, Italy on September 24:

** rex gallery **

Last edited:
"Pope meets Habsburgs: "Recovering the value of the family""

"The family is a "value" that we should rediscover today. This is what Pope Francis points out on this Saturday morning, with an audience for the Habsburg family in the Vatican. There were around 300 guests present at the meeting with Francis. In his short speech, the Pope recalled the blessed Charles I who was blessed in 2004 by John Paul II. "His presence among you makes the Hapsburg family not a nostalgia of the past but, on the contrary, a family active in the present, with the challenges and needs. Many of them now play important roles in solidarity organizations and cultural institutions and also promote the project of a Europe as a common house based on human and Christian values. ""
http://media02.radiovaticana.va/photo/2016/11/05/OSSROM136015_Articolo.jpg

https://youtu.be/WGP8M7qH0vk

Papst trifft Habsburger: „Wert der Familie wiederentdecken“ - Radio Vatikan

Archduchess Catharina in the granddaughter of the last Emperor Karl of Austria !
Sad news !

"Pope meets Habsburgs: "Recovering the value of the family""

"The family is a "value" that we should rediscover today. This is what Pope Francis points out on this Saturday morning, with an audience for the Habsburg family in the Vatican. There were around 300 guests present at the meeting with Francis. In his short speech, the Pope recalled the blessed Charles I who was blessed in 2004 by John Paul II. "His presence among you makes the Hapsburg family not a nostalgia of the past but, on the contrary, a family active in the present, with the challenges and needs. Many of them now play important roles in solidarity organizations and cultural institutions and also promote the project of a Europe as a common house based on human and Christian values. ""
http://media02.radiovaticana.va/photo/2016/11/05/OSSROM136015_Articolo.jpg

https://youtu.be/WGP8M7qH0vk

Papst trifft Habsburger: „Wert der Familie wiederentdecken“ - Radio Vatikan

Looks like a very interesting hearing. :flowers:

Thanks you eya. Nice to see the family at the Vatican. Good to see the Archduchess Margarita. Others I recognised were the prince and princess of Windisch-Graetz, Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg & husband, Archduchess Gabriela, Archduke Paul Georg and his wife Eilika. It seems that mainly the younger generation attended though.

I did not see Archduchess Fransesca. Neither did I see her son Ferdinand, who perhaps was busy with a racing competition. Her two daughters did attend.

Edit:

ten pages of photos here: http://www.photovat.com/PHOTOVAT/FRANCESCO/2016/11. NOVEMBRE/05112016_ASBURGO/content/index.html

Last edited:
The head of the House may not divorce ; we will never see Fransesca as Habsbourg first Royal Lady.
His Brother Georg showed again how sad he is not to be AD Otto's the first born Son.
Did the Ladies wear their Order ?

Thanks you eya. Nice to see the family at the Vatican. Good to see the Archduchess Margarita. Others I recognised were the prince and princess of Windisch-Graetz, Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg & husband, Archduchess Gabriela, Archduke Paul Georg and his wife Eilika. It seems that mainly the younger generation attended though.

I did not see Archduchess Fransesca. Neither did I see her son Ferdinand, who perhaps was busy with a racing competition. Her two daughters did attend.

In the Video one can also see Pater Paul Habsburg (seating next to Archduchess Gabriela, Archduchess Helene (née Countess Toerring-Jettenbach) and Archduchess Maria (née Princess zu Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg) seating at the end of the first row.

nice meeting with the pope. i guess it must be quite emotional for the habsbourgs to meet with him. quite a good turnout too and nice to see how the little ones are growing.

I should have like to see the Head of the House with his wife and his Heir. A family !

Elizabeth of Habsburg attended the Appraisers Association of America 13th Annual Award Luncheon in New York City yesterday:

** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
Do we know wether Archduchess Walburga Douglas had a stroke?:eek:
There was a documentary this weekend about the 300th birthday of Maria Theresia on "ARTE" where she was interviewed and she held her left hand as if she had a stroke.

Wedding of Dimitri Galitzine , Grandson of Archiduke Rofolphe and his first wife the late Countess Xenia, Son of Marie Anne of Habsbourg and Pierre Galitzine with Alexandra Politt in Brussels. Members of the Liechtenstein Family attended.

I don't know if Katarina daughter of Archduke Rodolphe and his second wife the Princess of wrede is divorced?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom