The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2019, 07:30 AM
Majesty

Vincent Meylan wrote of its Instagram this :
On 1st of November 1918 ,asked from Emperor Karl, Count Berthold removed private jewels from the Vitrine 13 and packed them in 2 leather bags.
This in important to me to know if it was to pay someone in Hungarien to keep their Throne. It seems to be Empress Zita intention. But it failed
A few years later ther last Emperor died in a cold Summer House in Madeira without any money...

Old 01-02-2019, 08:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
As far as I understand, Austria and even Bohemia, which was not German-speaking, were part of the so-called German Confederation up to the war between Austria and Prussia in 1866. After the war, the Confederation was dissolved. The Austrian Empire, no longer considered part of Germany then, joined with the Kingdom of Hungary in 1867 to form the Austro-Hungarian dual monarchy.

In comparison to the post-1971 German Empire, Austria-Hungary was a more decentralized state. For example, there was no common citizenship and citizens actually had separate Austrian or Hungarian passports. Similarly, there was no "federal" parliament above the Imperial Council of Austria and the Diet of Hungary. One of the major sources of tension was that , unlike the Hungarians, several non-German ethnic groups within the Empire, like the Czechs for example, had only limited autonomy and were constitutionally under the rule of the central Austrian government.

Till the ethnic cleaning after WWII Bohemia was a dual language country. The officials spoke German and the people spoke either German or Czech´, depending of where they descended. Educated people spoke both languages. Since WWII Czech is the language of the country.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:53 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you so much Pranter, Stefan, Kataryn, and Mbruno. This is going to clear up a lot for me.

Quote:
As far as I understand, Austria and even Bohemia, which was not German-speaking, were part of the so-called German Confederation up to the war between Austria and Prussia in 1866. After the war, the Confederation was dissolved. The Austrian Empire, no longer considered part of Germany then, joined with the Kingdom of Hungary in 1867 to form the Austro-Hungarian dual monarchy.

In comparison to the post-1971 German Empire, Austria-Hungary was a more decentralized state. For example, there was no common citizenship and citizens actually had separate Austrian or Hungarian passports. Similarly, there was no "federal" parliament above the Imperial Council of Austria and the Diet of Hungary. One of the major sources of tension was that , unlike the Hungarians, several non-German ethnic groups within the Empire, like the Czechs for example, had only limited autonomy and were constitutionally under the rule of the central Austrian government.
Thanks. This I have put in bold above really clears up a lot of my confusion.

Quote:
  1. Prussia was part of the German Empire; Austria was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. They were two separate sovereign states.
  2. The German Empire was a federation of monarchies, which included several kingdoms, grand duchies, duchies and principalities, each of them with its own ruling royal family. The King of Prussia was, however, also the Emperor of Germany. While each state held some measure of residual powers, certain matters such as foreign relations or monetary policy were under federal jurisdiction. Some of the larger constituent states like the Kingdom of Bavaria or the Kingdom of Saxony mantained their own armed forces, but, in times of war, they were placed effectively under the control of the federal government.
  3. Prussia was the largest constituent state in the German Empire (I believe it accounted for 60 % of the population of the Empire) and, to a large extent, controlled the federal government. As I said, the King of Prussia was always the German Emperor and the prime minister of Prussia was almost always simultaneously the federal chancellor..
  4. Austria-Hungary on the other hand was a dual monarchy where the two main constituent states, i.e. Austria and Hungary, had separate parliaments and separate governments, linked however by a common foreign and military policy under the Emperor-King. Most non-German lands under Habsburg control like Bohemia fpr example were actually under the Austrian government.
I have read this a couple of times and it is making sense. Thanks so much!!

After reading the information that Pranter, Stefan, Kataryn, and Mbruno shared with me regarding Austria, Prussia, and Germany, my interest has been further piqued. Now I want to read a book on German history, specifically one that mostly deals with the 19th century up to WWI. I found German History 1789-1871: From the Holy Roman Empire to the Bismarckian Reich Of course it starts a little before the 19th century, and that is fine, but is does not go as far as I want so I found The German Empire, 1871-1918 which goes through WWI. Does anyone know anything about these books and if they are good reads? If anyone has suggestion of something better, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
After reading the information that Pranter, Stefan, Kataryn, and Mbruno shared with me regarding Austria, Prussia, and Germany, my interest has been further piqued. Now I want to read a book on German history, specifically one that mostly deals with the 19th century up to WWI. I found German History 1789-1871: From the Holy Roman Empire to the Bismarckian Reich Of course it starts a little before the 19th century, and that is fine, but is does not go as far as I want so I found The German Empire, 1871-1918 which goes through WWI. Does anyone know anything about these books and if they are good reads? If anyone has suggestion of something better, I would greatly appreciate it.

The first one sound interesting from the way the chapters are structured. The second one is from a late German historian who changed the way history was researched and taught, so the book was considered a sensation for it's new perspectives, but today it's not longer believed to be truie in a lot of things. Sometimes you fit your subject to your theories and when you do too much, then the book is no longer of scientific value.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
The first one sound interesting from the way the chapters are structured. The second one is from a late German historian who changed the way history was researched and taught, so the book was considered a sensation for it's new perspectives, but today it's not longer believed to be truie in a lot of things. Sometimes you fit your subject to your theories and when you do too much, then the book is no longer of scientific value.
Thank you. I will stay away from the second one. I just found another one that starts after the Holy Roman Empire: Austria, Prussia and Germany, 1806-1871
I may take a look at it too.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:00 PM
Serene Highness

Austria and the Habsburgs question

Awhile back I posted a question asking for suggestions on book to help me understand 19th century German history better. I purchased "Austria, Prussia and Germany, 1806-1871" by John Breuilly, and it is excellent and pretty easy to understand for someone who is not a real history buff. However, I came upon something yesterday in my reading that confused me. In discussing the German National Assembly in the years between 1848 - 1849, Breuilly explains the difficulty that was encountered in how to deal with Austria in a unified Germany. If they excluded Austria all together in the attempt to unify Germany, that would give Prussia too much control, but if they included all of Austria, that would defeat the nation-state idea (I don't understand why including all of Austria would defeat the nation-state idea- can someone explain?) . A second thing that confused me was that one idea that was floated was to make a deal with the Habsburgs and exclude Austria? This I did not understand because aren't the Habsburgs and Austria synonymous? Or, is this just referring to including the territories that were not Austria over which the Habsburgs had control? Thanks.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:56 PM
Courtier

Austria and the Habsburg question

The "nation-state-idea" in a german way was, to have an exclusively german state, what means without Hungaria, Serbia, Croatia and whatever belonged to the Habsburg Empire, with their overwhelmingly non-german population.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:40 AM
Administrator

Gabriela of Habsburg and her sister Walburga Habsburg Douglas attended a premiere show of Circus Krone in Munich on February 1:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 03-16-2019, 04:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

When Eduard Von Habsburg posted this:

"...in case you wondered what @Fhabsburg62 does when he's NOT in the cockpit..."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1wvjjHWkAIHO4q.jpg

Archuduke Ferdinand must answer

"Family time always comes firs.... F1 is on ❗️❗️❗️"
Old 03-16-2019, 05:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
When Eduard Von Habsburg posted this:

"...in case you wondered what @Fhabsburg62 does when he's NOT in the cockpit..."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1wvjjHWkAIHO4q.jpg

Archuduke Ferdinand must answer

"Family time always comes firs.... F1 is on ❗️❗️❗️"
FZ rocks!!!
Old 03-22-2019, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Leopold, Prince von Altenburg has presented his book "The Emperor and his Sunshine" at the Cafe Central in Vienna, Austria, yesterday, March 21. Among the guests were Juliane, Princess von Altenburg, Friedrich, Prince von Altenburg, Archduke Michael von Habsburg and wife Pia:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **
Old 03-30-2019, 05:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Eduard Von Habsburg take part at the World Congress of Families wich be held in Verona, Italy, 29-31 March .

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D20_Q_RXgAADDIT.jpg

Eduard Von Habsburg with his priest brother Paul Habsburg L.C. before Easter Vigil in Rome

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4nZemXWsAcEEZ7.jpg

King Hamad bin Isa Al-Khalifa of Bahrein is on visit to Hungary and meets with the Archduke Georg von Habsburg on 23 April

https://www.bna.bh/en/HMKingmeetsArc...x%2b2tj1hPY%3d
Old 04-20-2019, 05:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Why is he wearing his orders when attending an Easter Vigil?
Old 04-21-2019, 10:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Why is he wearing his orders when attending an Easter Vigil?
Protocol when a Member of a Official representation.Easter Vigil will Always see the Curia and the Corps Diplomatique in attendance.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

And Archduke Eduard is the Hungarian Ambassador to the Holy See.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
And Archduke Eduard is the Hungarian Ambassador to the Holy See.
Indeed!Hence
Old 07-18-2019, 04:00 AM
Administrator

Alexandra of Habsburg - pictured with Ursula of Bavaria - attended the Anna Netrebko recital and charity dinner during the "Munich Opera Festival 2019" yesterday, July 17:

** Pic **
Old 07-18-2019, 08:08 AM
Majesty

^^^^^ Oh, I am so green with envy I cryed me a river! 😢

It's wonderful to spend time with the special people in your life, especially if they love Opera too, to be able to share such a wonderful time together watching and listening to one of the world's most glorious and passionate Sopranos.

One concert I watched she spun from one side of the stage to the other and danced and swirled her skirt all the way back. But the piece de resistance was skipping back to the centre and dropping to the floor, flipping her hair over her shoulder as she lay on one arm and perfectly timed her entrance with not a hint of a shortness of breath . . . and they got to see her on stage! 💖
Old 08-23-2019, 05:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Archduke Georg with his son Karl-Konstantin attend at the official commemoration of the anniversary of the birth of Emperor Karl I in Budapest and spoke on behalf of the Hungarian Government.⁠

https://scontent.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...fc&oe=5DD9997E
https://scontent.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...93&oe=5DDD9B64
https://scontent.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...7f&oe=5DD289E4
https://scontent.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...72&oe=5E13BF68
https://scontent.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...5d&oe=5E102A97
https://scontent.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...94&oe=5E12FE06
https://scontent.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...ce&oe=5DDD8BEE

Archduchess Eilika attended the ceremony commemorated the 100th Anniversary of the former 4th Dragoner Regiment of the Austro-Hungarian Empire at the former military building complex Dragonerkaserne in Wels, Upper Austria

https://scontent.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...c2&oe=5E0C0148
https://scontent.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...06&oe=5E15D193
https://scontent.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...66&oe=5DDF062C
https://scontent.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...3b&oe=5E09FD1A
Old 08-24-2019, 04:05 AM
Serene Highness

Sandor von Habsburg and Herta Margarete von Habsburg presented the Flame of Peace Award to the Mayor of Kistelek, Csongrád County and to all its citizens.

Flame of Peace Gallery : 2019-08-20 Impressionen Ungarn FoP an Buergermeister Kistelek - .:. Flamme des Friedens

Herta Margarete von Habsburg had an enlightenment meeting with the Artillery Battalion 3.

Flame of Peace Gallery : 2019-08-25 Impressionen Aufklaerertreffen Bataillon3 Bolfraskaserne Mistelbach - .:. Flamme des Friedens

Tags
austria, habsburg, house of habsburg, house of habsburg-lorraine