Imperial House of Habsburg 2: June 2007-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avalon

Heir Apparent
City
Yerevan
Country
Armenia
64b0ee26.gif

Welcome to the Second Thread dedicated to one of the most famous dynasties in the world - the Habsburgs.​

Part I can be found here.​

When posting, bear in mind our Community Rules and Membership FAQs.
If in doubt, contact one of the German-Austrian Royalty Moderators - Warren, suturegeisha or Avalon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know anything about the recent marriage of Archduke Carl Christian to Estelle de Saint Romain [judging by the surname, a noble lady :ermm:]. Is it 'equal'? Were there any hiccups? Any pictures avaliable of the guests and the wedding day in magazines or online photo agencies? A huge thanks in advance :flowers:.

There are only a few pics available on the "Other Noble Weddings" thread. It seems like the Habsburgs have been quite open to marriages to commoners. Count Ferdinand is married to Mary Nyanut Macher, Count Phillipp is married to Mayasuni Health, Count Conrad married Ashmita Gomi and yet another married Tereza Joao. So, not only diversity in terms of ethnicity and culture, but also in terms of non-equal marriages.

I'm not sure is the former Estelle de Saint Romain was a commoner though.

Does anyone know anything about the recent marriage of Archduke Carl Christian to Estelle de Saint Romain [judging by the surname, a noble lady :ermm:]. Is it 'equal'? Were there any hiccups? Any pictures avaliable of the guests and the wedding day in magazines or online photo agencies? A huge thanks in advance :flowers:.

The bride is from an french noble Family. The actual Point de Vue has a report about the wedding.

Point de Vue  .:.  Sommaire

At the moment all Habsburg marriages are "equal" as Dr. Otto von Habsburg, the Head of the family, declares them so.

The marriages to non-christians are equal too?

At the moment all Habsburg marriages are "equal" as Dr. Otto von Habsburg, the Head of the family, declares them so.

Dr. Otto must be a real forward thinking man who puts his family's happiness above protocol.

not so much forward thinking as a realist. And of course he has some interest in this too, considering the marriage of his eldest son to Chessie Thyssen.

I don't know who Chessie Thyssen is?

His daughter-in-law Francesca. Before she and Archduke Karl married only marriages highborn noble Ladies were approved. When Karl fell in love with Countess Caimilla Habsburg-Lothringen of a morganatic Tuscany branch the House Laws where changed and then marriages to all noble marriages where approved and only to commoners where morganatic.

There are only a few pics available on the "Other Noble Weddings" thread. It seems like the Habsburgs have been quite open to marriages to commoners. Count Ferdinand is married to Mary Nyanut Macher, Count Phillipp is married to Mayasuni Health, Count Conrad married Ashmita Gomi and yet another married Tereza Joao. So, not only diversity in terms of ethnicity and culture, but also in terms of non-equal marriages.

Mayasuni and Konrad are archdukes, not counts. Their mother is countess Ludmila von Galen, whose mother was a Kinsky von Wchinitz und Tettau.

I was just reading over on the Benelux board that the feud between the senior branch [Otto + decendants] + the junior branch [Lorenz] is still going on due to the fact that none of Otto's kids made an appearance. Can anyone shed any light on this. Do any of the other archdukes care anymore? :neutral:

What appaerance are you talking about? I never heard about this particular rift.
I do know that Otto had a disagreement with his brothers Karl-Ludwig and Felix about renouncing his rights to the Austrian throne (or something like that) in the 50-ties and about him allowing his son/other members to marry un-equally.

I do know that Otto had a disagreement with his brothers Karl-Ludwig and Felix about renouncing his rights to the Austrian throne (or something like that) in the 50-ties and about him allowing his son/other members to marry un-equally.
That's it, in the bold. Robert was really against the idea, guess, Lorenz is following suit. Funny to note that [read it somewhere] that Otto is the godfather of Lorenz.

That's it, in the bold. Robert was really against the idea, guess, Lorenz is following suit. Funny to note that [read it somewhere] that Otto is the godfather of Lorenz.

Fact is that according to the House Laws of the Archducal House of Habsburg, the Head of the House is the absolutistic ruler of his family. Thus Otto can well do what he pleases - the others have no say in it. In the past the family has always been able to persuade potential Heads of the House to give their position to another member if they felt he was not up to scratch (think emperor Ferdinand and his brother Franz Karl, who gave up throne and inheritance rights in favour of Franz Karl's son Franz Joseph).

As Otto still is very much in charge, the others have to accept his decisions. As I said before in this thread: being of the high nobility in Germany was characterized through the potential right to marry into the Archducal House, to be considered equal. But that was when the empire still existed and people were not all considered to be equal. As a former German politician Dr. Otto von Habsburg subscribed to the constitution of Germany, stating that all people are equal. I'm sad that there are others who don't subscribe to this view.

Hypothetical question. If Lorenz were to challenge Carl's headship after Otto dies; Would Lorenz first need to notify the Belgian govermant? :rolleyes: :ohmy:

Would there be any grounds to challenge Karl's succession? If you believe in the Archiducal House Rules, then Otto has the right to amend them. If you don't believe in these rules applying nowadays, then Karl can marry who he likes.

I think Otto is being very sensible in sanctioning marriages to members of noble families. At the very least, genetically, the intermarrying between a small number of families only would not lead to healthy stock.

I don't think there are any valid reasons to challenge Karl's succession. But I'm sure that the more traditional members of the family (such as the Estes) won't agree to his son Ferdinand Zvonimir succeeding to the Headship.

By the way, Archduke Otto has reportedly stepped down in favor of Karl (as of 1 Jan 2007). He sent a letter to the rest of the Habsburgs stating such (see here http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/index.php/topic,8531.msg248461.html#msg248461; the same information has been posted on Royaute 2).

The Archduke Gerhard (b. 1957), brother of Archdukes Lorenz, prince of Belgium, and Martin, is still unmarried. Has he been romantically connected with some lady of noble birth?

The Archduke Gerhard (b. 1957), brother of Archdukes Lorenz, prince of Belgium, and Martin, is still unmarried. Has he been romantically connected with some lady of noble birth?
I've always wondered about that. I'm sure he's been pestered by his mother, a one Archduchess Margherita, and posssibly his siblings, for more grandkids ;) to balance out the ratio 10:5. Maybe, it's been a lifestyle choice, maybe he's not all that into having kids, maybe being an uncle to about 10 nieces and 5 or so nephews is enough for him. I was aware that the sons of Emperor Karl tried to delay fathering children later on in their lives to ensure that they would survive [the grandkids of Emperor Karl and the continuation of the line].
By the way how old is Archduchess Margherita now? Is there any new news on her?

Last edited:
flctylu said:
By the way how old is Archduchess Margherita now? Is there any new news on her?
Archduchess Margherita, neé Princess of Savoy-Aosta, was born 7 April 1930.

Hello,
The dispute of the head of the Habsburgs continues? But I suposse is nothing public, or is it?
There is a huge amount of castles, lands, etc, in dispute, so its obvious the interests are big. I identify some parties:
1. Archduke Otto and sons
2. his nephew Archduke Lorenz
3. (and 4?)his brothers Karl Ludwig and Felix, perhaps joined
5. (or 6)the branch of Tuscany
??

I think we need to clarify this alleged "dispute". It is common knowledge that some members of the Habsburg family don't agree with the liberal "equal marriage" recognition granted by the Archduke Otto and his eldest son, but to translate that to a dispute over the Headship of the Imperial House seems to be pushing it.

It's always possible of course, but I doubt that the Habsburgs will want to go down the same road as the squabbling Savoys.

Archduke Ferdinand and archduchess Katharina of Austria (known as Tita von Hardenberg) had their second daughter and third child Lara Sophie.
Archduchess Lara Sophie of Austria was born in Berlin on October 9th 2007.
She has one brother Jakob-Maximilian (22-1-2002) and one sister Paulina (14-1-2004).
Source: ARD teletext

Do I have this correct? If my very very limited German is correct and the German Wikipedia article is correct, the new Austrian Republic required the members of the Habsburg family to renounce their rights and become citizens of the republic. Most of the extended family did this and they kept their personal property. Karl did not and had to leave the country. His personal property, which was the bulk of the Habsburg fortune, was expropriated. The law was actually carried out haphazardly in various parts of the country. During the 1930s the government restored the expropriated property to a trust fund to benefit the family. The Nazis then re-expropriated it. The Second Republic has not never restored the funds and the family has never challenged it.

Hi there. I'm QueenBlanche and this is my first time on this forum and I find it very, very interesting and enthralling. What I would like to know is this; do you have any photographs of Count Ferdinand and his countess to post? I really would like to see some. And could you tell me a little bit more about Countess Mary, who she is, what she does and so on? Thank you so very much.

according to Netty royalty page

Count Philipp von Neipperg b. 1978 and Paula Wolff b. 1981 are engaged to be married.

Count Phillip is the oldest son Archduchess Andrea Maria of Austria and Count Karl Eugen von Neipperg.

Paula Wolff is the daughter of Countess Ladislaja Eleonore von Meran (Desc of Austria) and Lukas Wolff

Back
Top Bottom