The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-21-2016, 06:49 AM
Courtier

100 years ago today Emperor Franz Joseph died in Schönbrunn.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:16 PM
Heir Apparent

At a ball Franz Joseph requested every dance with Elisabeth. Within days he asked for her hand in marriage. She wept in her mother's arms. Elisabeth expressed that of course she loved Franz, but if only Franz were not the Emperor.

Emperor Franz Joseph receives the homage of his subjects.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Wonder if he married her sister if things would have turned out better.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:27 AM
Majesty

Well, love is love I suppose. He fell in love with Elizabeth and that was it for him. He adored her until the day she died. It was just tragic that she was unsuited to being Empress. There may have been other issues come up if he had married her sister.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:00 AM
Majesty

well not that he was a great emperior, but Elisabeth was such a tiresome creature. So selfish and yet she's always portrayed as adorable. FJ problaby would have bene happier with a more neutral wife and an arranged marriage. However, he would probably still have been an Ultra conservative and Austria Hungary woud have ended in disaster.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Nicholas loved Alexandria and that turned out bad for everyone. Naruhito demanded to marry Masako because he loved her and she buckled under the weight of the job as well; thankfully it hasn't lead to the dissolution of the Japanese empire. Sorry but its not just about love with these people it's about the capability to do a job and accept the responsibilities that come with the role. Both Elisabeth and Alexandria ignored their responsibilities of their role as Empress.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:59 AM
Majesty

I think that Nicholas would have been a bad Tsar with or without Alexandra (nee Princess Alix of hesse). She wasn't great at the job but I would not say she ignored her responsibiltiies. She was shy and awkward and priggish, and didn't make friends with the nobility, which was a problem. And she could not produce a healthy male heir, but that wasn't realy her fault. She tried to be a good mother and she tried to help Nicholas but her advice was poor.

However Elisabeth hardly bothered to do her job as Empress at all. She was off travelling, dieting, learning Greek.. leaving her children to nannies, governors and FJs family. She was utterly selfish.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Both Elisabeth and Alexandra were disasters for different reasons. My point was that when your marriage encompasses love and a occupational duty it's not good to just make a decision because you love someone and ignore the possibility that they aren't up to the job or willing to even try. I agree that Alexandra at least didn't abandon her role as a mother and she appears to have been able to do that role well ad opposed to Elisabeth who apparently failed at that as well.
I suppose the reason tha Alexandra gets so much hate is because of her political involvement.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Empress Elisabeth wrote poetry. Did she ever try to get it published?
Old 03-29-2019, 02:54 PM
Courtier

Habsburg court life

I don't know if this is the appropriate thread to ask this, but in reading books on Emperor Franz Josef I and Empress Elisabeth, much was said about the strict court life of the Habsburgs that Empress Elisabeth hated. However, it was not really described. Can some tell me what the rules were and behavior at court was that made it so strict? Thanks.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I don't know if this is the appropriate thread to ask this, but in reading books on Emperor Franz Josef I and Empress Elisabeth, much was said about the strict court life of the Habsburgs that Empress Elisabeth hated. However, it was not really described. Can some tell me what the rules were and behavior at court was that made it so strict? Thanks.
If I remember it correctly the Habsburg Court still adhered to the so called Spanish etiquette. This was an amalgamation of the Spanish Court Protocol from the 1500s,the medieval protocol of the Holy Roman Empire and the protocol of the Ducal Court of Burgundy. Together this made for a very rigid and inflexible Court system.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
If I remember it correctly the Habsburg Court still adhered to the so called Spanish etiquette. This was an amalgamation of the Spanish Court Protocol from the 1500s,the medieval protocol of the Holy Roman Empire and the protocol of the Ducal Court of Burgundy. Together this made for a very rigid and inflexible Court system.
Spanish etiquette was mentioned in one of the books I read. Is there anywhere I can read about this Spanish etiquette?
Old 03-30-2019, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Here is a series of articles about it:
https://www.habsburger.net/en/chapte...rt?language=de

And here is the link to an old thread here at TRF about the Spanish court etiquette:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...tte-33799.html
Old 11-06-2019, 08:09 AM
Serene Highness

A mosaic portrait of Empress Elisabeth is one of highlight of the Hungarian artist Tímea Karkiss' 'Mosaic Harmony Exhibition.' It boasts pearls, opals, glass paste, marble and stone on wood surface among others as its materials.

Empress Sisi Mosaic

Portrait de Sissi en mosaïques – Noblesse & Royautés
https://www.byzantinemuseum.gr/en/?nid=2445
Old 07-12-2020, 02:56 PM
Heir Apparent

A TV programme first broadcast in 1968, called "The Fall of the House of Hapsburg".