Double-engagement in the House of Habsburg: Christoph & Adelaide; Imre & Kathleen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Princess Robijn

Moderator Emeritus , Royal Blogger
City
-
Country
Netherlands
Double-engagement in the House of Habsburg: Christoph & Adelaide; Imre & Kathleen

2 sons of Archduke Carl Christian of Austria and his wife née Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg, officially celebrated their respective engagements on 22 December. Archduke Christoph got engaged to Adélaïde Drapé-Frisch and Archduke Imre got engaged to Kathleen Walker.

Source: Netty at Nobiliana
Original Source: Tageblatt Online - Verliebt, verlobt, verlobt - People

Finally the "mysterious" Adelaide is known now, after rumours about an engagement circled through the board for about a year. Very surprised that both Imre and Christoph got engaged:
I find Christoph very young for an engagement but maybe he waits with the wedding for another year or so. Is Adelaide noble? She looks a little bit older than Christoph IMO. (No wonder, he´s still very young...)
Both young ladies look very nice IMO. Hopefully we´ll get to see some nice family photos like they published when Marie-Christine got engaged to Rudolphe Limburg-Stirum.

I saw Archduke Imre in Brussels in a Brussels’ Church for the future Blessed Empress Zita. I may saw that he received a perfect Education and greeted the Older Archduchesses who were there with *" perfect baise-main*».
Congratulations to the Habsbourg and Luxembourg Royal Families

Do we have more information about these girls?
Are both couples living in brussels?

Congrats to both couples! Very exciting.

I know that Imre & Kathleen live in the US. I'm not sure about Christoph & Adelaide.

Alas, no new Sternkreuzordens-Archduchesses for the House of Habsburg-Lothringen, as those ladies need to have 16 noble ancestors.... Seems modern times even come to the more "noble" branches of the family as well as they came to Otto and his ilk.

At the pictures of the Tageblatt-Online report the ladies are wearing a similar ring. Maybe the Archdukes have the same "taste" in jewellery!

Do we have more information about these girls?
Are both couples living in brussels?

Katie is American, born in Cincinnati; she is the eldest of seven siblings. She studied journalism and political science in Kentucky and works as communications director for Arlington diocesan Catholic Charities.
Catholic Charities

Adelaide is the daughter of a French diplomat, Philippe Drapé-Frisch, who is currently an advisor (or sort of, in French it is "Deuxième Conseiller") at the French Embassy in Saudi Arabia.

At the pictures of the Tageblatt-Online report the ladies are wearing a similar ring. Maybe the Archdukes have the same "taste" in jewellery!

They both based the rings on their mother's engagement ring.

I actually know people who graduated from Northern Kentucky University. HI&H Archduchess Kathleen (nee Walker): sounds like something out of an Edith Wharton novel.

Wow!, a double surprise!!!, Congratulations to both the Couples!!!

Are the wedding dates announced yet?

Last edited:
How old are Adelaide and Kathleen (birthdate known?)

Adelaide is 22 and Kathleen is about 25.

Does Adelaide have any noble background or ancestors?

When Archduchess Marie-Christine (Imre and Christoph's older sister) became engaged to Count Rodolphe of Limburg Stirum, several photographs were released of the couple with the bride's parents and with her grandmother Archduchess Yolande (n[FONT=&quot]é[/FONT]e princess of Ligne). There don't seem to be any family photographs to document the current two engagements... or at least none have been released for publication. Of course, Marie-Christine was marrying into an ancient and noble Belgian family, whereas both Archdukes Imre and Christoph are marrying commoners.... I wonder if their parents aren't exactly thrilled by these matches. :whistling:

It is more likely that because Imre and Katie live in the Arlington/DC area, his family is Belgium, and her parents are in Cincinati. If he took her to Belgium for Christmas, they may add pictures later.

Same for Christophe - she at least is in Serbia and her father is a French diplomat in the Middle East. However, Adelaide was with his family at Otto's funeral and does seem thus to be quite accepted. But hardly an occassion to take engagement pictures. They seem to have been engaged for about a year and it probably took this long to announce due to their families not wanting them to rush into marriage being so young.

Congrats to both couples! What a happiness (also for their parents!)

I hear you, Ceallach (#20). We will have to wait and see. Marie-Christine, Rodolphe, and little Leopold returned to Belgium for Christmas, so I assumed that Imre and Christoph had done the same... and, since the engagements were just announced in Brussels, I thought that their fianc[FONT=&quot]ées were with them as well. But I admit that there are some assumptions here on my part.

Having said that, I would be surprised if Imre's parents were thrilled that he is marrying an American, no matter how Catholic or how spotless her reputation. In spite of sharing moral and religious values (which, I am sure, is the most important thing), there are enormous differences in culture and upbringing between them, and those are also significant. Not to mention that, in the social circle of ADs Carl-Christian and Marie-Astrid, parents have the perennial hope that their children will uphold the family lineage and history by "marrying well"... and by "marrying well" they do not mean marrying an American.

As someone else has said on another site, I hope that Katie really knows what she is doing, and that she is aware of the kind of world that she is marrying into. Just to mention one feature, the question of the dowry will be a very serious one, and this may come as a shock to the Walker family. Let's hope that they are willing and able to give a good sum that will help to "sweeten the pill" for the Habsburgs to accept her. In any event, Imre and Katie's relationship, which apparently is fairly new (approximately one year old by all accounts) will be tested before they marry.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Katie Walker seems to heavily involved in the American Pro life Anti abortion movement, and has been involved in protests outside abortion clinics and Planned Parenthood offices. One of the organizations she has been associated with was the national organization that headed up the local groups that were involved with the attacks on abortion clinics and even the killing of doctors that performed abortions. I am not suggesting that she was involved in such criminal activity but she was communications manager for the national group. For such a young lady there is quite a bit of information about her online as well as YouTube interviews.
She may be a lovely young lady but I am glad she is marrying into a defunct royal family. In a reigning monarchy I feel her personal views would be quite controversial in 21st century Europe especially if she used her position to promote those views in the nation. That would be crossing over into the political.JMO.

It is not just abortion. She also is out of step with the present day church opposing such things as altar girls and still following others such as fish on fridays. She defends the Spanish inquisition which the church has apologized for and then asked for forgiveness. She was raised this way.

She also finds that the duty of a married couple is to have as many children as possible.
She is apparently against any form of birth-control.
Even the church allows continence as form of birth-control.

She says she is against sex education and it is implied she is againt pre-marital sex and contraception. I am catholic and I had to go to pre-marital classes that included a contraception component which included a couple explaining how using acceptable methods they planned for only 3 children and decided when too. The Catholic Church accepts natural family planning such as Serena.

She also wants priests to refuse communion to people who are catholic but do not agree with the church's present stance on abortion (since 1869). Considering, she disagrees with other present day stance's of the Catholic church - this may be hypocritical. And what about the church reversing it's excommunication those involved (including a nun) in allowing a woman to get an abortion to save her life. Will she abide by any changes to the Catholic church's stance on abortion/birth control such as this - where being involved in an abortion no longer means definate excommunication. Also the pope said condoms are allowable to prevent disease but not as a form of birth control.

I suspect that since Imre did/does work as an intern (dec 2010) for Atlas - a right-wing conservative think-tank, he may feel the same as her. Interns to me aren't paid well or at all which also implies they may not be financially ready for marriage.

His opinions may also not reflect his family's views. Plus, even if they may agree personally, they may disagree with her approach and activism. While very Catholic, his cousin HGD Guillaume of Luxembourg in a recent interview implied a strong personal adherence to the seperation of church and state and that he disagreed with his father's reaction to the state regarding euthanasia laws years ago.

http://atlasnetwork.org/blog/2010/10/internships/
http://atlasnetwork.org/blog/2011/10/cheer-up-america-the-case-for-american-optimism/

Imre’s Grandfather Archduke Cart Ludwig was totally against the wedding of his nephew Karl with Francesca Thyssen B. He did not attend the wedding and the wedding failed !
They are more speaking abroad about Katie. In Belgium she is unknown.
Archdukes Christian and Marie Astrid are living a real family life, I think they did not expect all this threads about Katie..

Are people still doing the dowry thing in 2011? Also, I would hope that if a dowry was expected, that was discussed before an engagement. :ohmy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom