Death and Funeral of HI&RH Archduke Rudolph (1919-2010)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why does Fabiola wear white/light grey?
It is possible that he does not wish to wear black?
He should have worn the order though.

White was the colour of mourning of the Queens during Middle Age, and also wearing white during mourning was an old Spanish tradition.
It also has some religious meaning, to mark that earthly death is the beginning of the eternal life.

FYI: Princess Lea was seated in the front row next to the other royal guests. Seating order: Grand Duke Henri, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, Queen Fabiola, Prince Philippe, Princess Mathilde, Prince Lorenz, Princess Astrid and then Princess Lea.

As for Prince Philippe: he attended an important reception for businessmen prior to the funeral. And obviously there was no time left to change clothes. Seriously, the only thing one can accuse him of is that he didn’t change to a black tie. But he made a real effort to attend both functions and that’s what counts imo. I’m sure the Habsburgs appreciate it.

BTW is it for sure that Prince Philippe is a knight of the golden fleece? I always thought King Albert and Prince Lorenz are the only Belgian royals with this distinction.

What surprise me is that they are all smiling as if it is not a funeral they are attending

Actually I had the absolutely same thought. Especially some of the pictures look quite unusual for funeral...

As for Prince Philippe: he attended an important reception for businessmen prior to the funeral. And obviously there was no time left to change clothes. Seriously, the only thing one can accuse him of is that he didn’t change to a black tie. But he made a real effort to attend both functions and that’s what counts imo. I’m sure the Habsburgs appreciate it.

I thought the reason was something similar, and it makes sense, although...the date and place of the funeral was known at least since 18 May, 11 days before it took place, if he wanted he had all the time for thinking that grey if not black is a more suitable colour for a funeral than blue, for thinking to wear a black or grey suit all the day on 29 May and for thinking to bring with him a black tie and change it while going to the church...:whistling:
Btw, I no longer want to be annoying with these details, I agree with you Mara when saying that what really counts is his presence :flowers:.

Last edited:
Why does Fabiola wear white/light grey?
Fabiola is a fervent Roman Catholic, and in Christianity white is the liturgical color symbolizing the hope of the resurrection. That is why the stoles worn by priests during funerals (and Easter) are typically white.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps, they are smiling, because the deceased was 90 years old and had lead a long life and this is not a tragic occurrence, but a celebration of his long life.

No need to mourn one on the way to Paradise and as noted led a long full life. The Habsburgs have a deep and abiding faith. Go bless Her late Imperial and Royal Majesty Regina and His late Royal Highness Prince Rudolph.

Heey Humfrey, the blessings are left up to me on these forums, LOL...yes indeed the Habsburgs are a great Catholic family and their faith is inseparable from their duty, as a real Royal should be.

Back
Top Bottom