Death and Funeral of HI&RH Archduke Otto (1912-2011)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has it been confirmed that the duke and duchess of Palma de Mallorca will attend the funeral, I have just read that the duke of Parma will attend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has it been confirmed that the duke and duchess of Palma de Mallorca will attend the funeral, I have just read that the duke of Parma will attend.

:imperialaustria:

No news from Spain as to who will represent,if anyone,Spain at the funeral.

The Bourbon-Parma Family is not the same as the Spanish Borbones:).

HRH The Duke of Parma is Prince Carlos Xavier,eldest son of the late Duke of Parma and HRH Princess Irene of The Netherlands.He took over the title after his father passed away almost a year ago,and married his spouse,Duchess Anne Marie,last november in Brussels.

I'm sure you know Lady-Finn,I just clear it up again for the viewers from abraod who wondered who's who and why...;)..

:habsburg::austria-hungary::duchyofparma:

Last edited:

I posted that before I read the link posted by Johann Salvator & there's no mention of the Palma's !

The Bourbon-Parma Family is not the same as the Spanish Borbones:).
HRH The Duke of Parma is Prince Carlos Xavier,eldest son of the late Duke of Parma and HRH Princess Irene of The Netherlands.He took over the title after his father passed away almost a year ago,and married his spouse,Duchess Anne Marie,last november in Brussels.

:habsburg::austria-hungary::duchyofparma:

Yes, I know that.

I also hope someone of our Spanish Royal Family attend the funeral...It is a question of politeness and respect !!! It was so dissapointed that nobody went to Prince Albert's wedding in Monaco :(

There has been a change of plans regarding the funerary procession from the Stephans Dom to the Kapuzinergruft as the remains of the late Archduke would originally by taken there by car.Now the coffin with the remains of the Archduke will be placed on a catafalc and drawn through the streets of Vienna by the Tiroler Schützen.Most dignified and moving indeed.

On thursday evening July 21st at 19.00,the Order of the Golden Fleece will celebrate a Requiem at the convent church of the Sisters Carmelitesses at Mayerling.The Sovereign of the Order,HI & RH Archduke Karl of Austria will be in attendance.The Requiem will be celebrated by former Prior Gregor Henckel-Donnersmarck,himself a scion of a Illustrous House,in his capacity as Aumonier-Vicaire of the Order.

HI & RH Archduke Karl is the Sovereign of the Order since 2007 when his late father turned the prerogatives over to his eldest son.

The convent was founded by Emperor Franz Josef on the site of the drama that included his son Rudolph in 1889.The church of the convent is erected at the precise venue of the drama.

:habsburg::austria-hungary:

Last edited:

The remains of TI & RH Archduke Otto and Archduchess Regina have arrived from Starnberg in Mariazell,Austria by glass car.

Upon arrival the coffins were Blessed by the Bishop while an Honorary Guard by the Kaiserjäger and Mounted Artillery saluted.

The Imperial Family is joined by about 500 guests at the ceremony and the praying of the Rosary at 18.00PM local time,after which the remains will lie in repose untill tomorrow late afternoon.The Basilica is open untill midnight,and then again from 07.00AM onwards.

Thank you Kmerian.

On thursday juli 14th the Prayers of the Dead will be prayed at the Kapuziner Church between 15.00PM and 16.00 PM by Bishop Stephan Turnovski,the Upper Rabbi for Munich and Upper Bavaria Steven Langnas ( who also sang the Prayer for the Dead "Al Molah Rachamin"at the Odeonsplatz,Munich yesterday),and the Grand Mufti of Sarajewo Reisu-I-Ulema-Mustafa-Ceric.

The Grand Mufti and Archduke Otto were friends and the Grand Mufti honours Otto's engagement for a free and independent Bosnia-Herzegowina in the 1990's.

The Jewish community of Vienna will Honour Archduke Otto during a special service at the Temple,Vienna on friday evening at 19.00PM.
HI & RH Archduke Karl,Head of the Habsburg Family,will be in attendance and speech at the start of the ceremony.Rabbi Paul Chain Eisenberg will use a Kaddish in use only to honour Archduke Otto as a "true friend of the jewish community".

:habsburg::austria-hungary::austriaflag2:

:previous:
Screenshots from the ARD Mediathek video...

Attachments

• Funeral of AD Otto, Requiem in Munich 2.jpg
    Funeral of AD Otto, Requiem in Munich 2.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 618
  • Funeral of AD Otto, Requiem in Munich 3.jpg
    Funeral of AD Otto, Requiem in Munich 3.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 2,377
I also hope someone of our Spanish Royal Family attend the funeral...It is a question of politeness and respect !!! It was so dissapointed that nobody went to Prince Albert's wedding in Monaco :(

I doubt we'll see anyone from Spain at the funeral.

The text of the "Spanish Ceremonial" for HI&RH has been released:

„Wer begehrt Einlass?“ « DiePresse.com

My loose translation: (Sorry my German is a little rusty)

Master of Ceremonies, Ulrich-Walter Lipp knocks three times.
Father Godfrey, curator of the Kaisergruft:
"Who seeks to enter?"
50307447554534636b786f4144705067

"Otto of Austria, once the Crown Prince of Austria-Hungary, Royal Prince of Hungary and Bohemia, of Dalmatia, Croatia, Slavonia, Galicia, Lodomeria and Illyria, Grand Duke of Tuscany and Cracow, Duke of Lorraine, Salzburg, Steyr, Carinthia, Carniola and Bukovina, Grand Prince of Transylvania, Margrave of Moravia, Duke of Upper and Lower Silesia, of Modena, Parma, Piacenza and Guastalla, of Auschwitz and Zator, of Teschen, Friuli, Ragusa and Zara, Princely Count of Habsburg and Tyrol, of Kyburg, Gorizia and Gradisca, Prince of Trent and Brixen, Margrave of Upper and Lower Lusatia and in Istria, Count of Hohenems, Feldkirch, Bregenz, Sonnenberg, etc., Lord of Trieste, of Cattaro and on the Windisch Mark Großwojwode the Voivodship of Serbia etc., etc. "
"We know him not!"
Master of Ceremonies knocks three times.
"Who seeks to enter?"
"Dr. Otto von Habsburg, president and honorary president of the Pan-European Union, and Senior President of the European Parliament, an honorary doctor of many universities and honorary citizen of many communities in Central Europe, member of venerable colleges and institutes and highest state and church awards, medals and honors that he awarded in recognition of his decades-long struggle for the freedom of nations, for right and justice. "
"We do not know him!"
Master of Ceremonies knocks three times.
"Who seeks to enter?"
"Otto - a mortal, sinful man!"
"He may enter!"

Otto von Habsburg was a good man. It was wonderful to see the crowds paying their respects. And he deserves respect.

The Kaiser-Hymne has a different meaning for younger Germans. Only the third verse is used:

Einigkeit and Recht und Freiheit fuer das deutsche Vaterland
(Unity and Justice and Freedom for the German fatherland)

Otto stood for these values throughout his life.

:previous:

Those are two different texts to the same tune. The music was composed by Joseph Haydn in 1797 for Emperor Franz II, originally it was called "Gott erhalte, Franz den Kaiser!" (text by Lorenz Haschka). The text was changed a couple of times when the old emperor died and a new one came into power because it usually referred to the current emperor by name. In 1854 today's version was introduced because Emperor Franz Josef did not like that the text had to be changed every time.
In 1841 the German poet August Heinrich Hoffmann von Fallersleben wrote "Das Lied der Deutschen" (song of the Germans) and it was set to the tune of the Kaiserhymne by Haydn. Interestingly, the German emperor-hymn "Heil dir im Siegerkranz" was set to the music of the British national anthem "God save the Queen/King".
But indeed you are right that in today's Germany we only sing the third verse because the other two, especially the first, is closely associated with the Nazi-era, because they mis-used the meaning of the words. Hoffmann von Fallersleben had intended to say something else as the Nazis interpreted the words.

I wish to add and extend my condolences on the loss of one so great and beloved. Go with God. :heart:

@ Johann Salvator,I don't see any mentioning of the Dukes of Palma at all...?!
Ooopsss... very embarrassing of me, confusing Parma with Palma, very sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
It only takes one letter, so the confusion is quite understandable ;).

--
In early reports it was said that the president of Georgia might attend (due to ADss Gabriela?), any news on that? Good to see that the king and quen of Sweden are attending, I wish more royal families would send their 'core royals' to Vienna. I would be esp. surprised by an absence of Spain, I believe Otto & Regina did attend the weddings of one or two of the infantas. I suppose the duke of Parma or his brother will also represent their aunt, the Dutch queen?
I believe that at another forum (one of Robert Warholm's?) it was established that the Windsors were the only ones not to send a condoleances note after the death of Empress Zita (according to ADss Walburga), so nice to see that they could send princess Michael from the ivory tower in London ;).

--
A report by ORF about Mariazell today:

ORF TVthek: Zeit im Bild - 12.07.2011 19:30 Uhr

ORF TVthek: Kärnten heute - 12.07.2011 19:00 Uhr

And another clip, among other things with a few words by AD Michael:

ORF TVthek: Report - 12.07.2011 21:05 Uhr-

---

On the wikipedia page (considering the thoroughness & quickness of it it must have been created by the office of the Habsurgs) Grand Duke of Luxembourg is said to belong to 'a side branch of the house of Bourbon Parma':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_and_funeral_of_Otto_von_Habsburg

Last edited:
As a Catholic it seems very right and dignified for the late Archduke to be laid to rest with such solemnity and high church pagentry. And yet, the whole thing seems out of another world; very, very out of place in the 21st century. This is a royal family in exile and it must be very awkward for some of them. I do not keep tabs on the current Hapsburgs but for some of them who go virtually unnoticed by Austria all this ceremony and prais of the late Archduke must be something bizarre and and, maybe, a little two faced of a country that does not want a royal family and has not wanted one since 1918.

Still, may the angels guide the late Archduke and Archduchess to their heavenly rest. I imagine the funeral will be a great send off to a great European.

pgm1952: imperial family of Austria is not in exile. They were, but now they are granted the permission to enter and live in Austria again. Austria is in a way honouring its past with this ceremony for even if they don't have a monarchy, it is still a major part of history and tradition of that country. There is nothing bizarre about the praise for the late Archduke for he was a great European in every sense of the word.

marengo: Grandduke Jean's father Felix was a Prince of Bourbon-Parma.

Last edited:
marengo: Grandduke Jean's father Felix was a Prince of Bourbon-Parma.

Prince Felix was a brother of the late Empress Zita as well as the brother of Prince Xavier,grandfather of the present Duke of Parma.:)

:habsburg::austria-hungary::austria-hungary::duchyofparma:

I know that prince Felix was a Bourbon-Parma, but the Lux. Grand Ducal family considers themselves Nassau-Weilburgs (f.e. here: Droits de succession - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - La monarchie), and in all genealogical databases they are listed as such too. GD Jean dropped the Bourbon-Parma titles all together, though the present Grand Duke seems to have added them again. So quite cheeky to list them as Bourbon-Parma's, by whoever wrote the entry.

---
I don't find it odd or embarrassing that AD Otto's funeral gets so much attention. The Habsburgs dynasty has ruled Austria for centuries and he actually was the last crown prince. Funerals of other Habsburgs have been much more low key.

HI & RH Archduke Otto of Austria will be the last of the Habsburgs who will be interred in the Kapuzinergruft.Indeed,it is only fitting that he,the last Crown Prince of Austria - Hungary,Royal Prince of Hungary and Bohemia is honoured in a way fitting this son of the last Emperor.

Btw,The Blessed Emperor Karl I will remain in Madeira,there has been / is much speculation as to will he return to Vienna or not,but that will not happen.

Requiem at the Basilica,Mariazell this afternoon:

BelgaPicture - Category details

Later today the remains will be moved to Vienna by train where they will
lie in repose at the Kapuziner Church on the Neuen Markt untill saturday.
There is a video wall outside the church till saturday night with view inside
the church as it will be open 24 hours a day.

On friday evening at 19.00PM the Jewish community of Vienna will Honour the Archduke Otto in a special service at the Temple.HI & RH Archduke Karl,Head of the House of Habsburg,will be in attendance and speech.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, there is one other place remaining and that the very last spot is reserved for Archduchess Yolande (born Princess of Ligne), the widowed wife of Archduke Carl-Ludwig.

If I'm not mistaken, there is one other place remaining and that the very last spot is reserved for Archduchess Yolande (born Princess of Ligne), the widowed wife of Archduke Carl-Ludwig.

The Archduke Otto,the last Crown Prince,will be the last Habsburg interred there.A most dignified conclusion of a centuries old tradition of the Habsburgs.:)

Back
Top Bottom