Death and Funeral of HI&RH Archduke Otto (1912-2011)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a great saddness! The first- born of Emperor Karl and Empress Zita has died. They are a long- lived family and the Archduke had a long, full life that his family and Europe should be grateful for. Rest in Peace.

Read his bio in Wikipedia. Very interesting life he had. Didn't really know that much about him. Very sad to hear of his death and passing. I wonder if anyone has written a book about his life as from what read about him was very interesting. He lived a full life.

I was very sad to hear the news, but he had a full life and I hope he rests in peace now.

Truly the end of an era. Perhaps one of the last (if not the only remaining) royals to become heir before the end of World War I. A remarkable life.

May he rest in peace. May the Almighty rest his soul... :'(

I didn't know much about in him until I read of his passing. He lead an amazing an amazing life and seemingly worked for the good

Indeed It Is sad to hear of the passing of Archduke Otto, our condolences to his family.

Because he will lie in repose at the Kapuzinerkirche, Wien.
I'm assuming his family thinks he will be laid to rest In the Kapuzinerkirche, will he be laid to rest there?

Indeed It Is sad to hear of the passing of Archduke Otto, our condolences to his family.

Because he will lie in repose at the Kapuzinerkirche, Wien.
I'm assuming his family thinks he will be laid to rest In the Kapuzinerkirche, will he be laid to rest there?

All funerary and Requiem arrangements have been posted by Stephan already on top of this page,post 27,please read them there.Thank you.

Thanks for the prompt repy, lucien

Why should a man be be buried In the Kapuzinergruft.
When so many members of the Habsburg family that have passed away In the last century and been denied the right to be buried In the Kapuzinergruft

Why should a citizen of the republic of germany, who represented the republic of germany In the European Parliament be buried In the capital of another country?

Last edited:
Lucien , How do you see the future ?
Archduke Karl is able to take his place as head of the family. But his separated wife F.?

This news is heartbreaking, it truly signifies the end of an era.

May he rest in peace.

My condolences go out to his family.

When so many members of the Habsburg family that have passed away In the last century and been denied the right to be buried In the Kapuzinergruft

Why should a citizen of the republic of germany, who represented the republic of germany In the European Parliament be buried In the capital of another country?

He had ducal citizenshio and was also an austrian citizen. And hew was the Head of the House of Habsburg for over 80 years so why should he not be buried in the Kapuzinergruft. his brother Carl Ludwig was also buried there but he was only one of the many members of the Family contrar to Otto.

Apart from Zeta and her son Carl Ludwig, how many others?
Is there a list somewhere?

The Kapuzinergruft during my stay in Vienne was its highlight . Every day they are flowers on Empress Zita's Tomb .
In a Room Emperor Franz Joseph is in the middle , Empress Sissi on the right side and the unfortunate Crown Prince Rudolf on his left side

:imperialaustria:

Historic ties can never be broken regardless who and what will try to do so.He had more nationalities actually to lay claim too,add Hungarian,Bohemia,Slovenia,Croatia ao as well.Borders are just there for the narrow-minded in respect of history.

Just Emperor Karl has not been allowed back in Austria due to some petty Austrian government officials with nothing else to credit them by as to obstruct the Habsburg family.But that is a long time ago already,the family is accepted and respected still in Austria and many of their former homelands.Everyone else could choose to be buried there if they so wished,but most didn't for whatever reason.

Otto and Regina will find their final resting place where they are entitled too and with the ceremonies and respects fitting an Emperor and Empress of Austria,regardless who and why anyone without any historic sense questions that or not.They are not relevant & of no consequence whatshowever,ever..

On july 16th and the days before one will see throngs of thousands paying their last respects to the last Crown Prince of the Austrian - Hungarian Double Monarchy.

Last edited:
Lucien , How do you see the future ?
Archduke Karl is able to take his place as head of the family. But his separated wife F.?

Maria-Olivia,I don't have a chrystal ball,but it is all up to the Archduke Karl,the new Head of the Habsburg Family to choose how he and his wife live,they are not estranged as they put it,they just live apart...a bit of an unusual construction to say the least.

They will have to set aside their egocentric selves and re-unite,accept how they have entered a new stage in their lives,or just divorce allthogether as that isn't a capital sin,except in the very RC Habsburg family.Nevertheless they,and Austria,will survive if they do choose.It's either this or that,but you can't have it both ways ( allthough that is very popular in this me me & oh,yes, me society) ,they will have to make choices in all respect just as they respect each now.Maybe they already made a choice and just had to wait for this sad occasion to happen and pass until they will make it known they take a next step.

They had their reasons to live as they did over the years,but should be grown up and free to move on sufficiently by now I hope.

He had dual citizenship, so was still an Austrian. There are only a few places left at the Kapuzinergruft and as he would have been emperor, two spots were reserved for him and his wife.

I think it's up to the church to offer the places in the Capucines crypt, no?

May he rest in peace!

May he rest in peace.

May his family find peace on earth.

May every 'Old Royal Family' find their way back to their homes and in the hearts of their people.

xoxos

He was no longer a Head of the Imperial Family but he was a brilliant man and an extraordinary husband and father.

Will any of the funeral be televised?

In Memorium

This week the world has lost a truly wonderful man. His highness Otto was a truly joyous person. His children and grandchildren will go forward in their country and his legacy does live on. I will miss his very clever wit, funny stare and silly jokes. I wish the best to his family and friends. His favorite coin was the gold kugeurand. I hope his family will be blessed with many of them in the years to come.

Obituaries

Obituaries

Guardian.co.uk: Otto von Habsburg obituary | World news | The Guardian

The Telegraph: Archduke Otto von Habsburg - Telegraph

HeraldScotland: Otto von Habsburg

Deutsche Presse-Agentur
: OBITUARY: Otto von Habsburg, prince-turned-politician, dies at 98 - Monsters and Critics

Wall Street Journal: Lunch With the Holy Roman Emperor

Miami Herald: Otto von Habsburg who saw end of empire dead at 98 - Obituaries - MiamiHerald.com

v
1. 2. Archduke Otto 1936
3. Emperor Karl & Archduke Otto 1912
images not subject to copyright

Attachments

• Archduke Otto 1936.jpg
    Archduke Otto 1936.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,426
  • Archduke Otto 1936a.jpg
    Archduke Otto 1936a.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 308
  • Emperor Karl & Archduke Otto 1912.jpg
    Emperor Karl & Archduke Otto 1912.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,244
Last edited:
Rest in Peace
Sorry ,I have a question as far as I have very poor knowledge in the matter of Austrian history,was he a descendant of Empress Sissi?

Hi Lenora. Archduke Otto was a great-grandnephew of Empress Elizabeth 'Sissi'. His great-grandfather, Archduke Karl Ludwig was brother of Emperor Franz Joseph.

Although the late Otto was not a direct descendant of Sissi, they were very close relatives due to the many marriages between Habsburg and Wittelsbachs.

Here are several death announcements found in Süddeutsche:

http://anzeigen-suchen.sueddeutsche...d=1&width=620&height=460&quality=100&resize=0
(CSU Pöcking)

http://anzeigen-suchen.sueddeutsche...d=1&width=620&height=460&quality=100&resize=0
(CSU Starnberg - Seniorenunion)

(Muncipiality of Pöcking)

(CSU)

CSU is the Christlich-Soziale Union - Christian-Social Union, a conservative party in Bavaria, the "Bavarian CDU" (Christlich-Demokratische Union - Christian-Democratic Union).

Back
Top Bottom