Archduke Franz-Ferdinand (1863-1914) and Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg (1868-1914)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The video mistakenly says that the duchess of Hohenberg is standing besides the emperor. But I believe that that is the Archduchess Maria Josepha, mother of the groom.

You're correct. The video made an error.

In this video I was able to learn that the touring car that transported Franz Ferdinand and Duchess Sophie was borrowed. I had thought that it was one of the imperial touring cars made in Austria.

My heart goes to Duchess Sophie. Such a formidable woman. The Duchess and her husband's 105th death anniversary will be in 3 days time.

My heart goes to Duchess Sophie. Such a formidable woman. The Duchess and her husband's 105th death anniversary will be in 3 days time.

Do you believe that the etiquette of the Imperial Austrian Court was too severe and strict that it did not treat Sophie the same as an Archduchess?

Royal Wedding #5: Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria & Countess Sophie Chotek – Edwardian Promenade declares:

"His father, Archduke Karl Ludwig, quickly renounced his succession rights, leaving Franz Ferdinand, then a twenty-six year old army captain, as heir presumptive to the Austrian-Hungarian throne."

Is this absolutely true? Why would Archduke Karl Ludwig renounce his succession rights?
There was an article in the New York Times (1889-02-02) stating that Karl Ludwig renounced his throne, but from what I've read he didn't. At the time US media often printed articles founded on unsubstantiated rumours and this appears to be another one.

Last edited:
There was an article in the New York Times (1889-02-02) stating that Karl Ludwig renounced his throne, but from what I've read he didn't. At the time US media often printed articles founded on unsubstantiated rumours and this appears to be another one.
It states in Wikipedia that there had been a story that Karl L renounced his rights but that it was not true...

If Archduke Karl Ludwig did not renounce his rights, he could have succeeded his brother and reigned as Emperor Karl (Charles) I of Austria. However, this was not to be. Archduke Karl Ludwig predeceased Franz Joseph.

If Archduke Karl Ludwig did not renounce his rights, he could have succeeded his brother and reigned as Emperor Karl (Charles) I of Austria. However, this was not to be. Archduke Karl Ludwig predeceased Franz Joseph.

yes well he didnt renounce his rights. He predeceased Franz J and then hs son became the heir...

Archduke Franz Ferdinand wanted to have the navy modernized.
He wanted long-term military chiefs to retire. He wanted an alliance formed with the Russian Empire.
Emperor Franz Joseph did not like these demands.

Back
Top Bottom