Archduke Carl-Christian, Pss Marie Astrid (née Luxembourg) and Family, 2003- 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's little Maria-Stella's first Birthday!

So HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Maria-Stella.

Attachments

• hello_kitty_verjaardagskaars_1_jaar.jpg
    hello_kitty_verjaardagskaars_1_jaar.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 219
Happy Birthday and good luck to her parents on trying to keep up with her.

Is Archduchess Adelaide still pregnant?

Archduchess Adelaide gave birth on 22 December 2014 in Geneva and the baby Archduchess Katarina Marie Christine Fabiola was baptized on 27 December 2014

From this Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/PlaceRoyale

The service press and communication of the grand ducal palace has passed the following statement this friday late Afternoon:

Their imperial highnesses and royal archduke christoph of austria and his wife archduchess adélaïde are Very pleased to announce the birth of their first child.

Archduchess katarina marie christine fabiola of austria was born on 22 december 2014 In geneva.

The baptism was celebrated on 27 december 2014 in geneva, in the presence of the family Very close and, in particular the sponsor and of the sponsor of the archduchess katarina, the countess marie - Christine of limburg - stirum, sister ainée of archduke christoph, and mr galdric draped - frisch , brother of the archduchess adélaïde.
Ll. Aa. Ii. Rr archduke carl christian and archduchess marie - astrid of austria, as well as mr And mrs. draped - frisch and their families, align themselves with the great joy of happy parents .
Geneva

© 2014 court of the grand duchy of luxembourg / private archives / all rights reserved.

Thank you for the news SydneyLux. I'd been wondering when the newest little Hapsburg would make her arrival. Nice that Fabiola has been added as one of her names. Great family photo with grandparents, aunts/uncles and cousin.

Countess Amalia of Nasau is Prince Felix and Princess Claire's daughter. I thought she was Princess.

Last edited:
:previous:
And she is indeed a Princess: HRH Princess Amalia of Nassau.

Btw, congratulations to Christoph and Adelaide!

I love the new little Archduchess's name! Adelaide recovered very quickly and was well enough to baptize her infant five days after the birth?

She looks fantastic!;)

Was there a similiar announcement of the grand ducal palace then when little Maria-Stella was born? (11-11-2013)
If yes, could someone please post it here or give a link.

Thank you TLLK, but I meant a birth announcemet itself like it was translated of one fellow poster a few posts above. ..."The imperial highnesses Christoph and Adelaide are pleased....."

Congratulations to Archduke Christoph and Archduchess Adelaide! :flowers: I also love the little Archduchess's name, and it's nice that they included Fabiola which I guess is to honour the late Queen of Belgium. I was also surprised that she was christened very early, but I read that it's a tradition in Catholic families (particularly in the more strict families).

Thank you TLLK, but I meant a birth announcemet itself like it was translated of one fellow poster a few posts above. ..."The imperial highnesses Christoph and Adelaide are pleased....."
Okay now I understand. There is a mention of Maria Stella's birth in the announcement so perhaps they did a two-for-one?:p

There is no rule nowadays for the baptism in the Catholic families.
My boys had their baptism early because we have a great lace familiy baptism dress small sice which was used since generations.
Other Families may do it when the whole family is in the Country as some of their members are living abroad.

I may said that at my Grand Mothers time the baptizm was quickly after the birth, the Mother did not even attend because they were afraid of "la mort subite"

I was also surprised that she was christened very early, but I read that it's a tradition in Catholic families (particularly in the more strict families).

The thought in catholicism traditionally behind this is that you can't enter heaven after you die if you're not baptised, Because child mortality rates used to be quite high, a child was baptised as soon as possible, practically always within a few days (if the baby was in really poor condition after birth, the midwife was allowed to perform a "emergency baptism" right away).
(For some real "couleur locale", in my area it was believed that the souls of unbaptised babies would stay on earth because they had nowhere to go. People thought that the little lights that floated over marshlands or swamps (iow fireflies) were these unfortunate souls. If you encountered such a light you were supposed to say "i baptise you" and that would help the soul to find it's way and go to heaven).

Nowadays there usually is more time for a baptism, so they usually wait a while and take time to plan a more elaborate baptism, with a little party etc.

But when i first learned that protestant baptisms were often months later and that was quite normal, i was really surprised and it was really strange to me :lol:

Last edited:
My son never marries.
For my grand daughter no christening , no holy Communion either and I am Catholic.
I have to accept their will !

The only thing is if later she wants to marry a Catholic at the Church , for doing that she has to show a certificate of Baptism, Communion and Confirmation.

The thought in catholicism traditionally behind this is that you can't enter heaven after you die if you're not baptised, Because child mortality rates used to be quite high, a child was baptised as soon as possible, practically always within a few days (if the baby was in really poor condition after birth, the midwife was allowed to perform a "emergency baptism" right away).
(For some real "couleur locale", in my area it was believed that the souls of unbaptised babies would stay on earth because they had nowhere to go. People thought that the little lights that floated over marshlands or swamps (iow fireflies) were these unfortunate souls. If you encountered such a light you were supposed to say "i baptise you" and that would help the soul to find it's way and go to heaven).

Nowadays there usually is more time for a baptism, so they usually wait a while and take time to plan a more elaborate baptism, with a little party etc.

But when i first learned that protestant baptisms were often months later and that was quite normal, i was really surprised and it was really strange to me :lol:

In Catholicism unbaptized babies are entrusted to the Mercy of God.

LaRae

LaRae

I was raised in catholic faith but I was really surprised that they christened the baby so fast. In my country, the christening takes place usually three, four months after the birth.
I obsereved the same in Spanish and Belgian Royal Families, so I was really confused about that fact :ermm:

I was raised in catholic faith but I was really surprised that they christened the baby so fast. In my country, the christening takes place usually three, four months after the birth.
I obsereved the same in Spanish and Belgian Royal Families, so I was really confused about that fact :ermm:

Yes, there seem to be a lot of cultural differencies even though the religion is the same, my story was rhe way it was in the catholic part of the netherlands in the past.

see also
http://nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinderdoopsel
https://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A//nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinderdoopsel

Last edited:
It was fascinating to read about the different Catholic christening traditions in different countries. I'm an Anglican so I'm used to seeing babies christened rather late. I was christened at five months and my mother was christened at eighteen months. There is a little girl at my church who was christened when she was about two years old. I do have some Catholic family members but they're not that religious and I can't recall if their children were christened or not.

What I also found unusual was how little Archduchess Katarina "only" had two middle names (I'm not sure if Marie-Christine counts as one name or two separate names, since it's double barreled) whereas I've noticed that it's traditional for members of the House of Habsburg to have lots of middle names. Archduke Christoph has five middle names: Christoph Henri Alexander Maria Marcus d'Aviano. It was also interesting that they didn't include "d'Aviano" within Archduchess Katarina's middle names as IIRC, all of Archduke Christoph's siblings have "d'Aviano" somewhere in their name combinations.

Last edited:
My observation about Catholic couples is that the more observant they are, the quicker they tend to baptize their children after birth.

Adelaide and Christoph are a very devout couple. Claire and Felix of Luxembourg-also said to be a religious Catholic couple, baptized their little Amalia in 4 weeks.

An immediate, low-key baptism after birth is the rule rather than the exception in the Catholic Benelux Royal families.

My personal belief is that parents are responsible for the souls of their children. If these innocents pass away without the most important of all the Sacraments they cannot be held accountable for it. They are entrusted to God's mercy, as another poster stated.

Last edited:
I think they only baptised her so fast because the whole family had gathered for the Christmas holidays anyway (Marie-Christine might even have travelled from Argentina!) and therefore they could do it in one go. And besides: December 27th is Adelaides and Christophers second wedding anniversary. So they might have thought it would be nice to to connect those dates.

:previous:
Their wedding anniversary was on 29 December, not on 27 December; but besides this, it makes sense to have the Christening celebrated in a short time taking advantage of having the family already gathered for Christmas (granted that this actually was the case).

Btw, I believe that Leopold and Marie Christine no longer live in Argentina, but have moved back to Belgium some time ago, IIRC.

Yes, this thing with the residence/work in Argentina nobody knows exactly. Besides: Wasn´t the 27th their civil wedding date?

It was also interesting that they didn't include "d'Aviano" within Archduchess Katarina's middle names as IIRC, all of Archduke Christoph's siblings have "d'Aviano" somewhere in their name combinations.

Only the boys have d'Aviano among their names in honour of Marco d'Aviano, the Capuchin friar and advisor to Holy Roman Emperor Leopold I. It seems to be a tradition for the Habsburgs to include it in the names of their sons.

Yes, this thing with the residence/work in Argentina nobody knows exactly. Besides: Wasn´t the 27th their civil wedding date?
Marie Christine and her husband Rodolphe moved back to Europe. They lived three years here in Argentina, where he managed a family agribusiness (he's responsible for family properties in different countries). He also became a Partner at an Investment Company based in Buenos Aires (where I live), and apparently he still follows his activities with this Company from Europe.

Thank you for the info Mariana Sofia. And welcome to Royal Forums:flowers:, I´m member since October 2002!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom