Archduchess Marie Christine and Count Rodolphe of Limburg-Stirum

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does Marie Christine retain her title of Archduchess upon marriage?
She will become a Countess, but the title of Archduchess is higher, so does she also keep using that title?

Certainly She will become H.E. the Countess Rodolphe de Limburg-Stirum, but I don't think She will retain Her Imperial titles...

It will be like this :
Comte Rodolphe de Limburg-Stirum et S.A.R.I. la Comtesse Rodolphe , née Archiduchesse de Habsbourg-Lorraine.
In Belgium we never use H.E. for a Count , well for a Prime Minister or Ambassadors etc..

It seems to me that the Counts of Limburg-Stirum are Counts of the Holy Roman Empire, so Marie Christine will be Ihre Erlaucht Marie Christine Grafin Rodolphe von Limburg-Stirum, or Comtesse Rodolphe de Limburg-Stirum, during theyr marriage. If I don't mistake, the bride takes the style and the titles of the groom during the marriage.

Marie Christine is very pretty and seems like a very happy person. Her Mother, Marie Astrid was a gorgeous child. I hope the young couple will be very blessed.

Archduchess Marie-Christine of Austria is beautiful and her fiancee Count Rodolphe of
Limburg-stirum are a lovely couple and I can't wait until they marry in dec.

It will be like this :
Comte Rodolphe de Limburg-Stirum et S.A.R.I. la Comtesse Rodolphe , née Archiduchesse de Habsbourg-Lorraine.
In Belgium we never use H.E. for a Count , well for a Prime Minister or Ambassadors etc..

socially that will be the title indeed, legally she does not have the SARI (or HKzKH, as the count seems to be bilingual ;)). I believe only her uncle Rudolphe and his eldest son Carl-Christian (same name as his uncle) are incorperated in the Belgian nobility. I am not sure if they received the HIRH though, probably not.

socially that will be the title indeed, legally she does not have the SARI (or HKzKH, as the count seems to be bilingual ;)). I believe only her uncle Rudolphe and his eldest son Carl-Christian (same name as his uncle) are incorperated in the Belgian nobility. I am not sure if they received the HIRH though, probably not.
Only Archduke Rudolf (b. 1950) and his eldest son Archduke Carl Christian (b. 1977) are incorporate in the Belgian Nobility as Prince(s) de Habsbourg-Lorraine.

The title of Archduke(ss) of Habsburg-Lothringen or Lorraine doesn't exist; Habsburg-Lothringen/Lorraine is only a personal/legal surname; the correct title is Archduke(ss) of Austria, Royal Prince(ss) of Hungary and Bohemia.

Please note that wedding-related material should be posted in the Wedding thread.

Shouldn´t she be called Countess Marie Christine de Limburg Stirum by now?

Her Habsburg heritage as an HI&RH Archduchess of Austria outweighs her newly-acquired Limburg-Stirum moniker. :)

Her Habsburg heritage as an HI&RH Archduchess of Austria outweighs her newly-acquired Limburg-Stirum moniker. :)

Yes but the are styled by the name and titles of their husband like for example Duichess Fleur of Württemberg is styled Countes of Goess since her marriage.

Yes but the are styled by the name and titles of their husband like for example Duichess Fleur of Württemberg is styled Countes of Goess since her marriage.

I suppose it is only fair. If a Miss so and so can become an HRH after her marriage an Archduchess can become a Countess in one morning.:flowers:

well, I suppose there isn;t a clear rule about it. Legaly she will be countess of Limburg-Stirum I guess, as her Austrian title is not a legal one. Still Archduchess Catherine is usually referred to as just that, AD Catherine, and not by her husbands Italian noble title (though again his title isn't a legal one either). Likewise count Rodolphe's aunt is usually named Princess Helene of France/d'Orleans and not Countess Helene of Limburg-Stirum.

Last edited:
Right you are, again......:flowers:

Yesterday I assisted at a Holy Mass of the Relics of Blessed Charles Ier of Austria. Marie-christine's Great Grand-Father.
On their chair was written by the protocole:
Comte Rodolphe de Limburg-Stirum, SAR et I la Comtesse Rodolphe de Limburg- Stirum.
So offically , for your whole life you keep your title you had .
It is the same for the Prince de Ligne, Head of his house. It is
SA le Prince de Ligne et SAR la Princesse de Ligne . She was born HRH Princess of Orleans-Bragance.

I've ever thought that the wife get the style and title of the husband, but in morganatic marriages...

I don't know if we make speak now about morganic marriages. The Crown-Princess of Sweden may marry her fittness coach and before her great-uncles were called Bernadotte after their wedding.

Many years ago I visited the castle of Ansouis (Provence). There was a guided visit and the guide was the Duchess of Sabran-Ponthèves the owner of the castle.
As I was to early I spoke with her . She told me that her husband the Duke of Sabran was already very ill at the wedding of his daughter Gersende with Prince Jacques d'Orléans, and he asked the Count de Paris if he agreed to do the wedding at Ansouis.
Of course the Count of Paris agreed. But the funny was that the people of Ansouis said : "How sad the daughter of our Duke is marring the son of only a Count"..

I suppose the castle was open to the public. What happened to it now that her children have sold it?

I've ever thought that the wife get the style and title of the husband, but in morganatic marriages...
I don't think morgantic marriages would be much of an issue for female members of dynasties that practiced Salic law, like the Hapsburgs. Descendants of the female line couldn't inherit titles and succession rights so it wouldn't have cause a huge problem inheritance wise if an Archduchess married some of non-royal standing. However, for an heir like Archduke Franz Ferdinand to had married a mere Countess, that posed big problems. I think most dynasties that had morgantic marriage laws (German houses) were also the ones follwed Salic law as well.

On occasion of Grand Duke Jean´s 90th birthday celebrations there is one photo in the "diashow" (photo No. 4) where Marie-Christine looks heavily pregnant IMO.

I don't think there would be an official announcement...

Why an official announcement? The Palace has enough work and more important to have to communicate on the private life of a nice niece of the current Grand duke, besides legally the wife of a Belgian citizen and ex member minor of the House of Austria.

Marie Christine is the not heiress great-child of a sovereign (it is a girl and in more she has several male cousins before her who have or will have themselves children!) and the girl of an archduke, yes a grandson of the last Austrian emperor, but the cadet son child of a great cadet son!
Her mother is the daughter of a sovereign (granddaughter and niece of the other ones, and sister of other one) but the ultra misogynists rules of the Houses of the Luxembourg and Austria make that it is "nothing". She carries the title of her husband and has the same insignificant place within the House of Austria as him.
Her daughter Marie-Christine married a count (son of a second son of a Cheaf of family). She married a subject of the King of the Belgians. She has no situation (she got married young) and lives the life of everybody. Besides her parents were always discreets and never wanted to have publicity in the jet set as descendants of royals.

The young and sweet couple are private individuals without official role and they are nobody in the national life (no particular merit which would have made them noticed).

Will any children of Archduchess & Countess Marie-Christine of Limburg-Stirum have Belgian, Austrian and Luxemburg or only Belgian nationality?

Does Marie-Christine have Belgian, Austrian and Luxemburg nationalities?

Why an official announcement? The Palace has enough work and more important to have to communicate on the private life of a nice niece of the current Grand duke, besides legally the wife of a Belgian citizen and ex member minor of the House of Austria.

Marie Christine is the not heiress great-child of a sovereign (it is a girl and in more she has several male cousins before her who have or will have themselves children!) and the girl of an archduke, yes a grandson of the last Austrian emperor, but the cadet son child of a great cadet son!
Her mother is the daughter of a sovereign (granddaughter and niece of the other ones, and sister of other one) but the ultra misogynists rules of the Houses of the Luxembourg and Austria make that it is "nothing". She carries the title of her husband and has the same insignificant place within the House of Austria as him.
Her daughter Marie-Christine married a count (son of a second son of a Cheaf of family). She married a subject of the King of the Belgians. She has no situation (she got married young) and lives the life of everybody. Besides her parents were always discreets and never wanted to have publicity in the jet set as descendants of royals.

The young and sweet couple are private individuals without official role and they are nobody in the national life (no particular merit which would have made them noticed).

Yes, but they did have a press conference when they became engaged. I am also kind of surprised that an announcement hasn't been made. Maybe she's very early in her pregnancy and they are waiting to make the announcement?

Back
Top Bottom